Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SHOOTING THE BREEZE  (Read 20892 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:SHOOTING THE BREEZE
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2004, 03:50:34 PM »

From Army Archerd's column in today's VARIETY:

THE LEAD IN "HERCULES" goes to Paul Telfer. The 6-foot, 2-inch English thesp is en route to New Zealand to start the four-hour NBC mini for Robert Halmi with Roger Young directing and a cast including Sean AstinSean Astin, Leelee Sobieski, and offers out to Marisa TomeiMarisa Tomei and Timothy Dalton. More than 200 thesps read for the "Hercules" role, says Halmi, who was "looking for an actor, not a muscle-man -- his strength comes from within" .

Of course, the writer is rarely mentioned in items of this kind, but we at HHW know who it is. Congrats, FS Pogue!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2004, 03:50:39 PM »

And Jerry Goldsmith's score for THE OMEN, etc.

I am so distressed at MR BK's news about the GIDGET dvd's.  The first is NOT my favorite....Cliff Robertson is NOT my favorite actor....but I really like GIDGET GOES HAWAIIAN with the late Deborah Walley and Michael Callan and GIDGET GOES TO ROME with Cindy Carol...and all that wonderful scenery!  Saw them both at the movies....well at the drive-in....but not in wide screen since then.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2004, 03:52:39 PM »

Sean Astin!!!!

Timothy Dalton!!!!

The only thing I don't like is NBC!!  National Broadcasting Commercials.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2004, 03:53:02 PM »

Francois de Paris & DR Francois....la mem chose.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2004, 04:02:07 PM »

Of course, the writer is rarely mentioned in items of this kind, but we at HHW know who it is. Congrats, FS Pogue!

Well, no, this DR did not know!  How wonderful!  Is this going to be about the son of Semele and Zeus, who went mad, committed the famous Labors, sailed with Jason and the Argonauts, left because of his love for Hylas (? too many twinks!))and died of a poisoned gift from his jealous wife?  This could be quite exciting.

Robert Graves' excellent novel HERCULES MY SHIPMATE is as wonderful as THE KING MUST DIE.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

François de Paris

« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2004, 04:04:41 PM »

The Chinese version would be:

François la Nem chose?? ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2004, 04:17:26 PM »

LOL...

Off to rehearsal...

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2004, 04:17:53 PM »

Gee, so I'm not mentioned in the article...well, screw that...

Elmore, I read Hercules, My Shipmate as part of my extensive research (two months worth before I ever even started an outline and ongoing all the way through the writing) and Graves' researches into the myths and the myths behind the myths was pretty much my bible.  

I also re-read portions of the King Must Die and a great lot of a much-neglected excellent historical fiction writer, Henry Treece.  And countless versions of the myths.

Though the script has gone through many permutations since its initial 239-page draft (a running time of probably six hours), hopefully when the process is all done, it will still have a lot of depth and meat on its bones.  My goal was always I, Claudius by way of Lord of The Rings.  

My wonderful NBC exec and Hallmark exec have been very protective of the script and, though a thousand things can still go wrong until it airs, I'm more optimistic than I've been in years.  This being TV and they wanting to bring in the kiddies, we do not...of course...explore Herc's well-recorded bisexual tendencies.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2004, 04:25:13 PM »

Jay, so I'm not hallucinating? (Well, I could be, but that's another matter.) When I saw mention of the Anvil Chorus and Wagner, by our usually correct DB, part of me said - "Nem!" - That's "no" in Hungarian. (Because I first saw Il Trovatore when I was a child in Hungary.) But the other part of me said "Shut up!" The other part of me is rude. So I did. Until seeing your post. "So there!" other part of me.

You may be hallucinating, Dear Reader Panni, but not on this matter.  While it is true that there are a bunch of anvils in Das Rheingold, and an anvil plays an important role in Act I of Siegfried, what is commonly known as "The Anvil Chorus" is the noisy--and much poked fun at--number from Verdi's Il Trovatore.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2004, 04:26:39 PM »

Elmore, I read Hercules, My Shipmate as part of my extensive research (two months worth before I ever even started an outline and ongoing all the way through the writing) and Graves' researches into the myths and the myths behind the myths was pretty much my bible.  

My wonderful NBC exec and Hallmark exec have been very protective of the script and, though a thousand things can still go wrong until it airs, I'm more optimistic than I've been in years.  This being TV and they wanting to bring in the kiddies, we do not...of course...explore Herc's well-recorded bisexual tendencies.

Maybe it's because I've read the Robert Graves novels so often, but isn't it Hylas' death that he leaves the Argonauts?  I should check the reasons in Apollonius' ARGONAUTICAE, or was he summoned for one more of the Labors?  Have you read Graves' fascinating novel KING JESUS?  That would stir up more emotion than Mel Gibson's film!  Great novel.  I always loved Graves' translation of the ILIAD, THE ANGER OF ACHILLES, and I'm srprised it's never stayed in print.  His classical research is kind of shabby and his defense is weak, but it's a wonderful translation nonetheless.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2004, 04:30:34 PM »

"Thesps?"  Does that make you "writs," Dear Readers Panni and Charles Pogue?

Has column space grown so dear in Variety that they can't finish the word?  Or use that old archaic term, "actor?"
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2004, 04:32:06 PM »

Elan-just salt on the latkes which get me in trouble at Chanukah as I tend to forget to buy the applesauce for everyone else.

Panni sorry about the emails.  If you only eat oatmeal you should add almonds or something else.  You need need protein and some fat (if you use non-fat milk) to balance the meal.
I hope you get James Garner in the movie.  If you do, please find out how his niece Liz is.  I worked with her a number of years and she gave me a surprise baby shower.  I moved and then she moved and we lost contact.

Jose, it sounds as if you made a lot of Jewish ladies very happy. :)

Welcome back François de Paris!

Elmore you might want to take something to protect your stomach from too much Ibuprofen.

DearReaderLaura, is the wall only interesting?  I hope you are also pleased with it.

Charles Pogue, congratulations and Good Vibes on a successful movie!

François de Paris

« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2004, 04:35:43 PM »

Dear Reader Jane!

My, that's quite a welcome!
Thank you!

Panni

« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2004, 04:38:22 PM »

"Thesps?"  Does that make you "writs," Dear Readers Panni and Charles Pogue?

No, it makes us "anons" (short for "anonymous" - because we all now that scripts write themselves).

(That, BTW, is why I love the Humanitas Awards. The writer gets $25,000. While the director, producers and various network execs get nice plaques. There IS justice!)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 04:39:49 PM by Panni »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2004, 04:42:30 PM »

Elmore you might want to take something to protect your stomach from too much Ibuprofen.

Ah, DRJane, the doctor thought of that!  I'm to take it with meals.  You are so dear to think of me.  I feel like bursting into a chorus of Victor Herbert's happy waltz "Jane Jane Jane"! 8)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2004, 04:43:42 PM »

(That, BTW, is why I love the Humanitas Awards. The writer gets $25,000. While the director, producers and various network execs get nice plaques. There IS justice!)

Does the composer get anything?  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2004, 04:56:32 PM »

Well, I got my new computer at work!!  Now I just have to complain to Larry (the computer guy) about the little details...but that'll have to wait until tomorrow.  I have to leave now.  I thought I didn't have to usher for a show tonight here in Olympia (Dancin' In the Street, a Motown retrospective) but the person who was going to usher instead of me couldn't get child-care, so I have to go.  Until later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2004, 05:09:58 PM »

François you are welcome.

Elmore I’m glad the doctor took care of you so well.  :)
I really need a recording of BABES IN TOYLAND.

Panni

« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2004, 05:12:03 PM »

Jane - The package arrived today. Thank you. Quick service!

Panni

« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2004, 05:14:57 PM »

Only the writer, Larry. Only the writer. It's ours, all ours, no sharing!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2004, 05:16:08 PM »

You may be hallucinating, Dear Reader Panni, but not on this matter.  While it is true that there are a bunch of anvils in Das Rheingold, and an anvil plays an important role in Act I of Siegfried, what is commonly known as "The Anvil Chorus" is the noisy--and much poked fun at--number from Verdi's Il Trovatore.

In my defense would you believe:

A. I was just kidding.
B. I was just seeing which DRs were alert.
C. Verdi and Wagner were both Axis composers and deserve to be confused.
D. I am not perfect.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2004, 05:21:06 PM »

.. Sean AstinSean Astin, Leelee Sobieski, and offers out to Marisa TomeiMarisa Tomei ...

Panni - make typos - "nem!"

der Brucer (the othet part of you should meet the other part of me!)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2004, 05:41:41 PM »

Panni - make typos - "nem!"

Nem typo. I just copied the item, so it must've been a technical glitch. Me perfect. Me no make mustikes.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2004, 05:48:19 PM »

Mom, the story on the car as I understand it is that some thingamajig in the doohickamabob quit working. Somehow we found out that said thingamajig had been recalled and a Chevy dealer should be able to take care of it. So Dad got the car fixed today. But he had already paid for an extra night here, so we're still staying overnight. Uncle Craig, Aunt Carol, and Susan are with us. We drove the car to the glass-blowing place and back and it went just fine. So we're hoping it can get us all the way home.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Robin

« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2004, 05:48:34 PM »

The loss of Jerry Goldsmith has made this a very sad day.  He was one of The Greats, and his name in the credits of a movie was every bit as important as an actor or a writer or a producer.  It's truly a loss of immense proportions; very few Hollywood composers were, or are, capable of composing with both the variety and consistency of Mr. Goldsmith.  He was a brilliant man, and he will be missed.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2004, 05:50:17 PM »

As for eggs, I like 'em pickled.  

Yup, pickled eggs and Guinness Extra Stout.  A combination made in Heaven...
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2004, 05:56:52 PM »

I can't stand eggs.
Don't like the taste of them, the look of them, the color of 'em.
I love ham, but with eggs?  Call me Sam I Am.
I'm repulsed by their entrance into this world through the backside of a chicken.

If, however, you mix eggs with enough flour, sugar, and maybe some baking powder and bake ... you then have a cookie.  And I like a cookie.
It isn't just cookies that require eggs, Noel.

Custards are made with eggs.

Which means that a lot of ice creams that are based on custards (French style ice creams) are made with eggs.

Cakes?  Eggs.  Souffles?  Eggs.  Lemon curd?  Eggs.

Breads?  Eggs.  Not only are eggs commonly in the breads themselves, but an egg wash is often used on the crust to make it nice and crunchy.  That goes for the pastry on all sorts of pies, too.

But it goes even further than that.

Want a nice bowl of pasta?  Eggs.  Yep, pasta is made with flour, a little bit of salt, and eggs.  It's that simple.

Most noodles are made with eggs, in fact.  And that includes oriental noodles.  Won tons?  You're getting the message.

How about a nice meatloaf?  It's going to have an egg in it.  The proteins in the egg help bind the meatloaf together.

Breaded meats?  Hello again!  The meat is first given a light coating of flour, then dipped in egg, and finally in the breading before it gets cooked.

There's a lot of sense behind the slogan, "The incredible, edible egg."  Without them, we'd have a hard time finding anything to eat!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2004, 06:00:45 PM »

Welcome back, François (although I confess I have been gone quite a bit myself)
!

CONGRAULATIONS, DR CHARLES (Does this mean that I now get to read your mystery play?)[/size]
[/font][/b]!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2004, 06:04:00 PM »

I've been invited to a screening of the new MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE at Paramount. Should I go? I so hate the idea of remaking a perfect film. On the other hand, I'm curious. And there will be free food. What to do! :P
Go for the food.

Take care of that curiosity itch.

And take a big handbag, for leftovers.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2004, 06:13:28 PM »

Had a good day at work.  We had a shipment come in, and I volunteered to stay an extra couple of hours (because the shipment was a couple of hours late), which was appreciated.

The outlet mall where I work has a program called "Code Adam," which I understand is becoming a standard practice in a lot of store areas.  During a "Code Adam," if a child is lost the participating stores lock all their doors, not allowing anyone to enter or leave, until the premises are checked to make sure that the child is not is that particular store.  (At WalMart, for example, they will lock up their entire store until the child is either found or it is verified that the child is nowhere in the store.)  Fortunately, there's not much area to search at our store, so our doors wouldn't be locked for long.  But since the stores in our mall have a phone alert chain in place, for other suspicious activites (such as shoplifting), it's easy to lock down the entire mall area in a very short time.

Time to take a break from the Internet, to get dinner going.  Meatballs tonight.  Using an egg as a binder, same as with meatloaf.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up