Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SCARCITY OF THE ONION BAGEL  (Read 18277 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re: THE SCARCITY OF THE ONION BAGEL
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2013, 07:35:07 PM »

TOD: The best bagels I've had are in NY. I usually go to Lenny's because it's a block from my partner Peter's apt. I like the Bad Boy: poppy seeds and onion on an egg bagel. But my favorite place to have them is Barney Greengrass because I love the whitefish salad there. Essen Bagel is good, too, but I think there is probably a "best" bagel in NY that I haven't had yet.

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2013, 07:37:50 PM »

Congratulations, Edisaurus. Will definitely have to see it. Not only do I love Pomus' music, but an old high school classmate, Joan Osborne, is in it. She was great in "Standing in the Shadows of Motown."
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Edisaurus

« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2013, 07:38:50 PM »

Atlanta bagels have been so-so ever since the Royal Bagel closed, but we finally have a good place to go: Brooklyn Water Bagels. Supposedly it's the water that makes the bagel, so this place has come up with some method to recreate the Brooklyn water, and their bagels are delicious, made right on site. They also have U-bet syrup on tap and you can make your own egg creams. And they have iced coffee, with ice cubes made out of coffee so your coffee doesn't get watered down.

http://www.brooklynwaterbagels.com/
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2013, 07:40:20 PM »

I thought Midnight Lace was very scary when I was a child watching it on TV. The main thing that was so creepy was the Marvin the Martian-type voice drifting through the fog. When I saw it as an adult I thought it was pretty silly but I still enjoyed it!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2013, 07:41:25 PM »

T.O.D.

I was well into adulthood before I ever tasted a bagel.  Methodists don't eat bagels. Methodists eat toast.  To this day, I rarely think to pick up bagels, although I love them.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Edisaurus

« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2013, 07:45:54 PM »

Congratulations, Edisaurus. Will definitely have to see it. Not only do I love Pomus' music, but an old high school classmate, Joan Osborne, is in it. She was great in "Standing in the Shadows of Motown."

She's wonderful, and when we opened the NY Jewish Film Festival in Jan., she came to Lincoln Center to see it. An interesting thing I learned: she was originally a documentary student (of the legendary George Stoney) and always thought she would become a doc filmmaker. She is very beautiful in the film, and a nice person!

Edisaurus

« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2013, 07:49:30 PM »

The Motown film is one of my favorite music docs. I forgot she was in it; I'll have to watch it again.

Greg had started to work on a doc for this same director about Muscle Shoals, but he was insistent that the musicians be paid what they deserved (which he wanted for Motown but sounded like it didn't happen) so I don't think they got too far because they couldn't raise the funds. Now I think there's another Muscle Shoals film coming out. I was really hoping Paul's film would go forward; I think he's a very good doc director!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2013, 07:57:53 PM »

So, for the last year I've been thinking about doing an omnibus version of the Kritzer books - all three in one large volume.  What do you all think?  Doing so would enable me to fix some style issues in the first book (presuming I can even find the Word file - I think it's on a Zip drive or a floppy - have to go hunting - it also might be on my old Toshiba laptop - I plugged that in a couple of years ago and it was working - I'd have to locate it, though.  I just like the idea of having all three books in one volume for people at a reasonable price.

Great idea.
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2013, 08:00:52 PM »

The Motown film is one of my favorite music docs. I forgot she was in it; I'll have to watch it again.

Greg had started to work on a doc for this same director about Muscle Shoals, but he was insistent that the musicians be paid what they deserved (which he wanted for Motown but sounded like it didn't happen) so I don't think they got too far because they couldn't raise the funds. Now I think there's another Muscle Shoals film coming out. I was really hoping Paul's film would go forward; I think he's a very good doc director!

She comes off well in the Motown documentary because she's the only one of the guest stars who seems to care about the people that the movie is about. She asks them questions and listens attentively to their answers. She's like most of us would be: a fan who is thrilled to be in the presence of these legendary musicians.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2013, 08:04:48 PM »

Funny, but she knew in high school just who she wanted to be. The only yearbook she ever appeared in was ninth grade, and she wrote something in mine about the time when she became a singer.

I only had English classes with her, but I remember her growing into herself over the years. As a freshman, she wore lace collars attached to her shirts. Not the woman who wore the nose ring on the cover of her first album.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »

End of an era: As of March 19th, the new owner of Variety, who should be run out of town on a rail (it's the entitled rich kid who owns various movie websites like Deadline) will cease issuing Daily Variety - it's only been nine decades  of tradition down the drain in an instant. 

Glad they reviewed our new film already!

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117949128/

We also got a good review in Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/aka-doc-pomus-film-review-410435

Congrats, Edisaurus!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2013, 08:30:40 PM »

You know what's funny?  Here's what's funny - I've never had a bagel in NY that I liked as much as the bagels I get here.  Go know.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2013, 08:47:51 PM »

There is an actress on Facebook who is one of the most relentless "look at me" people I've ever seen.  She's a very nice gal and talented, but watching it I can't imagine it does her one bit of good.  Two weeks ago she said she was going to take a break from Facebook because some people took exception to something she said.  Naturally she didn't take the break.  Tonight she said the same thing, an indefinite hiatus from Facebook - I finally went in and posted and mentioned she'd just posted the same thing two weeks ago and that it's not a good idea to post that stuff and then not do it, and then post the same thing again.  I recommended she actually take the hiatus and that Facebook addiction, especially for actors, isn't really something they need.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2013, 08:57:50 PM »

DR TCB begin saving now for this cruise
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2013/02/26/titanic-ii-will-be-built/1948935/

No thanks, I'll pass.  In one of the other storiies I read earlier, the owner assured future passengers that the ship would be equiped with safety chutes and slides.  I am not sure exactly how they will help anyone in the middle of the Atlantic.  Also, I am not sure where they will find 3rd Class passengers willing to share two sets of bunkbeds in an 8 by 8 cabin.
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2013, 09:05:52 PM »

Finished the latest season of Justified. It really did pick up in the second half. It helped that they had some good directors, including Jon Avnet and John Dahl.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2013, 09:06:08 PM »

Night, all.
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2013, 09:13:54 PM »

Mr. Gavin's accent makes Dick Van Dyke's accent sound more authentic than an actual cockney.

I totally agree with the overall opinion on the board re: John Gavin's acting abilities.

Yet, despite that, he wound up co-starring in two classic films, PSYCHO and SPARTACUS.

I've never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I understand that he's a nice guy, too.

Actually, I saw Mr Gavin onstage in SEESAW (the musical) and he was really pretty good.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up