Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SCARCITY OF THE ONION BAGEL  (Read 18278 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SCARCITY OF THE ONION BAGEL
« on: February 25, 2013, 11:20:18 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were scarce, like the onion bagel, and now it is time for you to post until the scarce cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE SCARCITY OF THE ONION BAGEL
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 11:20:49 PM »

And the word of the day is: YARE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »

Topic of the Day:

I love a good, fresh, plain bagel with cream cheese, but I also love a sesame bagel.  I've have various other kinds, but the plain or sesame are my favorites.  I don't think that I've had an onion bagel, though.  I'll have to try it someday.  There are a couple of local places that make fresh bagels.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:18:48 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 02:40:12 AM »

Oatmeal, pecans, raisins and cinnamon and coffee.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 02:40:24 AM »

Shower, dress, office.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 04:44:07 AM »

Good morning, all!

Today I visit my eye doctor and take a trip to 22nd Street and Park Avenue to do so.  Following that, I will wander up to Toyland, check out the office, accomplish a few things and return home. I'm hoping for a quiet day.  When I get back here, I'll put some more work into the recording libretto. I'm now on Act Two.

Our latest round of recording anxiety is the conductor. I've got two good men lined up but both are suddenly having schedule glitches. I'm giving the glitches a week to settle or worsen before I begin a search for a third.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 04:49:51 AM »

Good morning, all.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 04:52:26 AM »

TOD: Back when I used to eat bread, I loved a good onion bagel or one with several toppings that included onion. But the bagels here are not bagels at all. They're more like bread donuts, all big and puffy in appearance, but just sad and dense when you bite into them. You practically need a half-pound of cream cheese to balance the overwhelming flavor of bread.

I'm really not a fan of sweeter bagels, such as the blueberry ones, largely because you can't put lox with them.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 04:58:40 AM »

Good morning, all.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 05:10:51 AM »

TOD:

My favorite bagel is generally a garlic bagel, but I like a good onion, too.  We occasionally get bagels here in the office from one of those franchise places that have a very delicious jalapeno bagel.

The best bagels I ever had were in New York, natch! 
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 05:16:00 AM »

I think I usually like a sesame seed or poppy seed bagel.

The power bagels (with nuts, cranberries and raisins) at Einstein's are pretty good, but I doubt that they qualify as actual bagels.
I like boat races.

ChasSmith

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 06:02:26 AM »

I'm having a store-bought bagel (Thomas's, of English Muffin fame) as I type this.

TOD

I think onion bagels were my first favorite back in the day, and I've been through several phases of favorites.  [Onion sandwich rolls were also a staple back then, I just remembered.]  Nowadays, I ALWAYS like an everything bagel.  For a basic one, sesame seed is my cherce.  I think I'd consider a salt bagel as the most exotic, since it's so outrageous from the get-go -- but SO good, just once in a while, toasted with butter.  Oh yeah baby.  I'm afraid I find plain bagels boring, and poppy seeds themselves don't do much for me except leave black dots on my teeth.

Though I've had many over the years, I no longer find myself interested in blueberry or whole-grain or other bagels of that stripe.  All of those ingredients, IMHO, are better served in regular bread products other than bagels.  I don't see the point.  Bagels are just a little too unique or individual a thing to have been given such a "mainstream" treatment, even though of course it's inevitable that it happened.  And I don't mind -- I'm glad bagels themselves became infinitely more available over the years.  Just keep my everythings coming, along with BK's onion, and everybody will be happy.

Best bagels?  The New York dense but chewy, hands down.  Even there, there's plenty of variety.  I've had some from Arthur Avenue in the Bronx that I thought were among the very best.  I liked H&H (are they still around?).  The single best bagel experience that stands out in my mind, however, was a day that some friends and I met in Manhattan to go see some museum exhibit out in the wilds of Long Island.  We had to stop in Great Neck to pick up the last person, and they knew a convenient bagel place to meet.  That jernt was the most bustling and amazing one I've ever been in, and everything there was to die for.  For years I've meant to find it and go back for a bag of bagels.

ChasSmith

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 06:11:31 AM »

ADDENDUM TO YESTERDAY'S TOD --

Kept meaning to come back and post this.

French fries, fried in beef tallow the way they used to be.  The way McDonald's did it (and how they earned their reputation for fries) for years.  Many think it's healthier for you in the long run, but I don't eat french fries for my health so let's just say there's NO COMPARISON, taste wise.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 06:26:05 AM »

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE -

I never cared much for the movie, but there's one thing that I've always remembered about it.

I was 19 when it came out; living in Seattle.  (I think it played the Music Hall.)

I recall reading a 2-3 sentence synopsis of the picture that did not reveal any plot twists whatsoever, yet I immediately knew the secret identity of the villain.  And, I was right.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who guessed that, because it was so obvious from the casting.

You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 06:29:01 AM »

TOD:

I can only eat gluten free bagels now, but back in the day, my preferences were egg, pumpernickel and rye.
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 06:34:51 AM »

For years, my mother tried to make bagels. She studied the recipe and made attempt after attempt to get them right. She never did. But since she never threw anything out, we had to eat the mistakes. We thought they were horrible at the time, but they were actually better than the bagels you get at the supermarkets here.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 06:36:25 AM »

MIDNIGHT LACE has more unexplained red herrings than should be legal in a movie.....  Those mysterious phone calls that John Gavin is accused by the pub owner of making are never mentioned again...  For example.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 06:36:50 AM »

I'd heard about MIDNIGHT LACE for years, and when I finally saw it (which was only recently, btw), I was disappointed.  The film did look murky, but maybe that's the way it is.  But I didn't think it was all that great a thriller, unfortunately.

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 06:36:52 AM »

Howdy all you HainesHisWay listeners!  The new edition of the Broadway Radio Show is now up on this here splendid website for your listening enjoyment.  This time we ponder the questions.....When is a Cast Recording not a Cast Recording?  When is a Soundtrack not a Soundtrack?  Can it be both????   That's right, we take a listen to the new release of BOMBSHELL, the Marilyn Monroe musical that's the center of the TV show everyone loves to hate, Smash!  In addition we listen to other songs from real cast recordings also written by the duo of Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman.   Follow the radio show link here on the site and have a listen!

DONALD FELTHAM
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 06:45:36 AM »

I love THE BIG COUNTRY....mentioned by DR JANE yesterday.  It's one of my favorite Carroll Baker performances.

Carroll Baker has said that shortly after she signed for the movie, she discovered she was pregnant.  She had a meeting with Wyler, who had a meeting with United Artists, and they decided to go ahead since they would be finished with the film before she was "showing."

However delays.....they had started filming without having an ending to the story....kept cropping up.  By the time of the filming of the party scene, a special "concealing" dress had to be made for Carroll......  And she kind of just disappears from the story without much of a resolution.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 06:51:34 AM »

Uh oh....another long link.

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 07:06:34 AM »

I like poppy seed bagels.

re: the onion bagels are they brown with onions. That is how they make them here.

I wasn't sure if you meant that or more like the onion rolls we get here (which are white with dark onions on them). I like both.

Doug R

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 07:27:30 AM »

MIDNIGHT LACE used to be shown often on British TV but I haven't seen it for many years. I always thought it very enjoyable. I didn't know there was a German Blu-ray of it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 07:37:25 AM »

Page One?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 07:37:54 AM »

DR ELMORE thanks for the package that arrived yesterday!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 07:47:21 AM »

TOD:

I like onion bagels, as well.  And...I seldom see them in bagel shops.  I buy mine from the grocery store.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 08:04:33 AM »

I am VERY excited about the upcoming "My Geisha" release on Kritzerland.

Franz Waxman is a major favorite and his scores from the 50s and 60s are particularly vibrant.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 08:12:13 AM »

Greetings from Toyland! Eyes examined and I'm having a raisin bagel with cream cheese as I type this.  It's my first in over a year and quite deelish.

Negotiations are underway with an Aunt Minnie's agent, "Lovely To Look At" waits for me, and all the packages I shipped last week have reached their destination. I'm quite relieved.

And Arnold's been to Toyland and cleaned our offices.

THE BIG COUNTRY Suite by Jerome Moross and edited by yours truly is available for symphony orchestra performances. I love the Main Title.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up