Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BALM IN GILEAD  (Read 19982 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:BALM IN GILEAD
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2004, 12:09:57 PM »

Hey, I watch the Disney Channel.

We will be definitely be watching it on August 7th, the day TIVO is set to record TIGER CRUISE. :)

I was, of course, referring to an earlier comment made on the board.

Strange, how the eyes-rolling smiley didn't translate over to the quote.

Ah, well.   ::) :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2004, 12:11:07 PM »

And, in honor of Panni's Tiger Cruise, the page four dance:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]HORNPIPE!!![/size][/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2004, 12:13:23 PM »

Favorite Dine-out sandwich:

Croque Monsieur

For which there seem to be as many diffrenet recipes as there are recordings of "Feelings".

der Brucer
But the sandwiches are all in much better taste.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2004, 12:15:39 PM »

I haven't had a good ice cream sandwich for what seems like ages!

Yummers!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2004, 12:24:51 PM »

Sounds good!

Jennifer

« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2004, 12:54:35 PM »

Well if ice cream sandwiches count, count me in.

Costco sells the most delicious 3 variety pack.  And I could literally eat the entire family pack at once.  So good!

Jennifer

« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2004, 12:56:00 PM »

Well of course I cannot eat the entire family pack because there are like 30+ in there.  But they are still good.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2004, 01:00:19 PM »

So NO ONE is interested in the musical The Ten Commandments with Mr Val Kilmer as Moses?  Oh well....

Oh MATTH - I really enjoy Miss Deanna in FIRST LOVE....she sings a song from Madame Butterfly, is tied down to wacky family, and gets the boy!   And I love Esther Dale as the "old maid" schoolteacher who gives her some great advice.

TCM is doing a great job for me today and tomorrow.  I just watched ALL FALL DOWN (Lansbury's other great 1962 mother role for John Frankenheimer) with really fine performances by Brandon deWilde and Warren Beatty and Karl Malden and Eva Marie Saint, and a touching and sexy script by William Inge.  Coming up is OPERATION CROSSBOW and tomorrow ICE STATION ZEBRA!!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2004, 01:07:47 PM »

:o

Souvlaki pita is a Greek sandwich.  It has souvlaki meat with tzatziki and lettuce, rolled in a pita.  It is very good.

"Souvlaki meat"????

If it's really Greek, that would be lamb, I believe.  A substitute is beef.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2004, 01:08:24 PM »

Still haven't gotten to TWILIGHT OF THE GOLDS. Another gay-themed movie, THE SUM OF US, came on one of the Showtime channels, and I wanted to make a DVD-R of it. I had it on laserdisc but hadn't upgraded to DVD yet. This will save me a few bucks. Have always liked the film.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2004, 01:12:01 PM »

Oh MATTH - I really enjoy Miss Deanna in FIRST LOVE....she sings a song from Madame Butterfly, is tied down to wacky family, and gets the boy!   And I love Esther Dale as the "old maid" schoolteacher who gives her some great advice.

Her song at the end of the film is an English adptation of "Nessum Dorma" from TURANDOT which is one of her most heartfelt and beautiful performances ever. One of the reasons I really love the film and get choked up by the ending.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2004, 01:14:10 PM »

The only real disappointment of my NYC trip was that when we went to the Museum of the City of New York, the Broadway wing was closed because they had taken down the latest exhibit and hadn't put up a new one. Big, big disappointment. The rest of the museum was fine, interesting, a new experience, but I really went there to see this exhibition wing.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2004, 01:18:40 PM »

Sigh. Well, it's done.

I went over to let the men from the thrift store in to remove the bed, and the buyer and both agents were in the house looking around. My agent hands me a paper allowing the buyer to move in early.

Maybe tomorrow I can go for a walk. I haven't had time.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2004, 01:26:53 PM »

DearReaderLaura, a bittersweet feeling. I'm glad it's done and you can walk tomorrow.

Now I want to watch FIRST LOVE.

I had a wonderful surprise today from elmore.  THANK YOU!! :D :D

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2004, 01:28:43 PM »

And with it I hope, Dear Reader Laura, a considerably lightened burden and perhaps some sense of closure.

Feel well and, indeed, do something that will perk up your spirits.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2004, 01:30:31 PM »

The Ten Commandments with Val Kilmer smells like one of those sure-fire all time worst things - a total disaster in the making.  I believe it will never happen.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2004, 01:32:02 PM »

DRLAURA - a difficult job done with love by someone who cared....there will be no "what ifs" on down the line!  Congratulations!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2004, 01:32:38 PM »

At $102.50 a ticket somebody better be having some fun!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2004, 01:37:19 PM »

Oh yes, DRJANE, I second MATTH's recommendation.  FIRST LOVE is a great introduction to Durbin.  She is a bit older than in her first films (gets her first screen kiss here) and her personality and talent shine!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2004, 01:38:38 PM »

The Ten Commandments with Val Kilmer smells like one of those sure-fire all time worst things - a total disaster in the making.  I believe it will never happen.

They could have a double-bill:  The Ten Commandments and Masada! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2004, 01:50:47 PM »

I'll be heading over to the theater around three-thirty.  I'm sure tonight will be spent in adjusting to the space.  As it turns out the floor will not be put in until tomorrow.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2004, 02:10:41 PM »

Moving from the rehearsal space is always a strange experience.  Even if the space has been taped with the exact dimensions...the stage seems different....the entrances and exits....

I always get my left and right confused no matter how much rehearsal I ahve been doing.  And have you had mirrors in the rehearsal space?  It's always a shock to look out at all the empty seats.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 02:11:08 PM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2004, 02:13:10 PM »

DRMATT I am SO sorry that theatre wing of the MCNY was not open for you.  Darn!  I can't recommend it enough....and heaven knows, I have!  Maybe your next trip!  Seeing original costumes from The King and I, Sound of Music, and Peter Pan....seeing the original stage models from POTO....

The nicest thing is that the Guggenheim is practically on the way so you can stop on the way up or on the way back.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 02:13:56 PM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2004, 02:17:38 PM »

They could have a double-bill:  The Ten Commandments and Masada! ;)

That's Entertainment!!!

But nobody can make the face that Edward G. Robinson did when he found the blood on his door....  ;D

"I'm no Jew, see....yea....mother of mercy,  is this the end of Dathan?"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2004, 02:20:20 PM »

Yes, we had mirrors and that's been a prob, as our less experienced people, movement-wise, are so used to looking at themselves screwing up.  I think that it will be a big plus for them not to have the mirrors.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2004, 02:20:39 PM »

In retrospect, "The Ten Commandments" as a straight drama with Charlton Heston as Moses seems totallly laughable.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 02:24:07 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2004, 02:25:39 PM »

LOL....I have just been looking at the IMDB listing for TTC.  Interesting stuff.  I have the original DVD release, but I don't have the latest one with the commentary.  Does any DR have that one....have you listened to the commentary and watched the extra features?  Worth buying?

I like the movie A LOT!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2004, 03:24:22 PM »

My very favorite(st) sandwich meal is a hot Reuben on rye, served with a side of hot German potato salad and a kosher dill slice.

A hot pastrami is a close second.

A roast beef w/gravy is third.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 03:31:25 PM by RLP »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2004, 03:27:25 PM »

From an internet Google search, I have learned:

Balm is used for a number of natural aromatic substances that are utilized for healing and soothing. They are obtained from certain resinous plants. During Bible History, the area of Gilead was rich in spices and aromatic gums that provided balm, which was exported to Egypt and Tyre - and the land of Israel. The word balm is derived from balsam, which originated from the Greek word (pronounced) balsamon, which was adopted to represent the Hebrew words baal shemen, meaning "lord of oils." (the term Baal is used in various ways in the Old Testament, with the usual meaning of master, or owner. It came to sometimes mean the local pagan god of a particular people, and at the same time all of the idols of the land - see Baal. It is also found in several places in the plural Baalim, or Baals. There were many variations, such as the sun god, the god of fertility, and Beelzebub, or the "lord of flies" - see Baal-zebub and Beelzebub).

Gilead was a well-known exporter of balm from the earliest of times. The Israelite patriarch Joseph was sold by his brothers to a caravan of Ishmaelite traders who were transporting a cargo that included balm

« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 03:30:56 PM by RLP »

Emily

« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2004, 03:28:41 PM »

oooh... great topic today!  It's a good thing I've eaten already :)

There's a restaurant near my house that makes pizza, souvlaki and submarine sandwiches - and if you're nice to the cook he'll combine all three into one sandwich that is absolutely to die for.  Picture pizza dough shaped into a baguette-shaped loaf of bread, cut in half and filled with souvlaki fillings, lettuce and tomato.  

arghalaghalrghalagrh

My favourite home-made sandwich requires a warning...

IF YOU KEEP KOSHER AND DON'T WANT TO EVEN THINK ABOUT THE MOST SUPREME NON-KOSHER SANDWICH OVERT YOUR EYES NOW!!!

... ham and cheese on challah :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up