Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LINER NOTES  (Read 9036 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: LINER NOTES
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2013, 11:14:43 AM »

I had been toying with putting JACK REACHER on my Netflix list, but after reading BK's comments, I think I'll pass.

I'm not much of a Tom Cruise fan anyway.

Interesting as I thought the reverse though I'm still not sure I will see this.  Cruise is too small to play Reacher.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2013, 11:30:19 AM »

DR John, you were lucky to have Delores in your life.  She sounds like a person worth knowing.
She taught me how to be a stripper. But that's a story for another day.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2013, 11:31:41 AM »

The only thing I liked about Jack Reacher was Werner Herzog as the villain.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2013, 11:31:45 AM »

DR John, you were lucky to have Delores in your life.  She sounds like a person worth knowing.

Did she teach you how to choose a stripper name?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2013, 11:41:05 AM »

Hmmm, do I really want to hear this story ;)  ;D

Jane

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »

I need a nap.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - I was up at four, fell back asleep at five-thirty, and now it's noon.  Guess I really needed to sleep.  So, must jog and then catch up.

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2013, 11:56:34 AM »

I think it is about time that news sites stop allowing people to post comments on stories anonymously. They should be required to use their real identities. Some of the comments I read after a news story are so completely sickening.

For instance, was just reading a story about a Holocaust survivor who is telling her story to High School students. In the comments after the story one person wrote that since the holocaust happened over 60 years ago, people need to "get over it," and stop rehashing it. Another comment compared Jews to Satan. I had to stop reading.

I see this constantly, and it is just frightening the horrible things that people post on news sites.

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2013, 11:57:06 AM »

DR Matthew, vibes for an easy move!

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2013, 11:58:13 AM »

In other news, I just ate a most delicious chocolate chip cookie.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2013, 12:02:21 PM »

Ir's an honest career.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2013, 12:20:06 PM »

And the word of the day is: DECUSSATE!

And The Song Of The Day Is: WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKEN HEARTED

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2013, 12:47:29 PM »

Welcome Home, TCB!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2013, 12:48:10 PM »

~~~Vibes of All Kinds for DC Nick!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2013, 12:48:58 PM »

Moving vibes for DR Matthew!

More vibes from us, too!!!

~~~Ditto From Me, Three!!~~~

George

« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2013, 12:49:28 PM »

I do not know much about the show, so I am looking forward to your report DR BEN.

Ditto! :D

Here's a seven-and-a-half minute preview:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK8WUR3u8Tw

John G.

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2013, 01:02:33 PM »

I think it is about time that news sites stop allowing people to post comments on stories anonymously. They should be required to use their real identities. Some of the comments I read after a news story are so completely sickening.

For instance, was just reading a story about a Holocaust survivor who is telling her story to High School students. In the comments after the story one person wrote that since the holocaust happened over 60 years ago, people need to "get over it," and stop rehashing it. Another comment compared Jews to Satan. I had to stop reading.

I see this constantly, and it is just frightening the horrible things that people post on news sites.

I agree completely.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2013, 01:04:58 PM »

Ir's an honest career.

And certainly better than journalist, now the worst job in the country. Even lumberjack ranks higher than journalist.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2013, 02:01:16 PM »

I agree completely.

Unfortunately, that will probably never change. :-\

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2013, 02:16:09 PM »

Back from a jog - prior to it, I wrote more of the liner notes, so I'm almost finished with that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2013, 02:16:17 PM »

Must eat something now.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2013, 02:33:15 PM »

I tried to avoid reading the comments on news sites.  I'm more surprised to read encouraging comments than the negative ones.

Anti-antisemitism is sadly on the rise.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2013, 02:58:33 PM »

On a happy note, for film music fans, today is a "milestone".  From FOHHH (Friend of HainesHisWay) Nick Redman:

I'm very proud to be able to share a personal milestone. Today marks the 20th anniversary of my being hired by Fox Music as a consultant charged with the responsibility of creating a viable "classic film music" restoration program. Fox (in common with most other studios) had a vast treasure trove of material stored on 35mm film in vaults that had essentially lain dormant for 50 years. At the time, in 1993, Fox had created a new record imprint (Fox Records) in association with Arista Records that would primarily feature new artists, but if some classic catalogue from the vaults could be resuscitated, those titles would be added to the pot for good measure.

When Elliot Lurie, then head of Fox Music, welcomed me aboard I had to tell him "I can't start this week, I'm having a baby!" He laughed and said "Ok, start when you can then..." (My daughter Rebecca was born on the 16th Feb).

I was very grateful to Elliot for the opportunity, and to agent Richard Kraft for recommending me to Fox, but I had no idea how to do the job, or even where to start. (A memorable quote from Elliot resonated: "Nobody here knows how to do what we're asking you to do, so don't come to us with any questions!")

I hoped he was joking.

Somehow though, in that first year, Arista was able to release CDs of "Stormy Weather (1943)," "The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)," "How Green Was My Valley (1941)," "The Robe (1953)," "Laura (1944)," and of more pleasure to the accountants, a 4-CD "Star Wars Anthology" set -- the sales of which paid for all the other sins.

But here we are, 20 years later, and the program is still thriving. Less of a well-oiled machine, more of a garage under the arches working on Lamborghinis. When we started we had no concept of this being a long-term program, but as things are wont to do in life, they evolve in surprising ways -- record labels come and go, personnel arrive and depart, it's a sea of constant change, but somehow there was always an executive or two in various departments, post-production, home video, etc. who would choose to find ways to support and help fund the tiny operation. In the early days we leaned on home video a lot, supplying audio cassettes to be packaged with video tapes, 24-carat "special edition" gold CDs to be packaged with Laserdiscs, isolated score tracks to synergize Fox Music's restorations with the movies themselves.

Over the years specialty labels dedicated to soundtracks have kept the program alive by releasing a constant product stream: to date as many as 600 albums of vintage Fox film scores have been issued to aficionados, with dozens more in preparation. In addition to those scores released on CD, at least 200 more have been restored, inventoried and vaulted for safekeeping under the supervision of Ron Fuglsby and Library Services...at the current rate of progress it'll take a while yet to complete the job but we're getting there....and without the help and support of the following individuals during the past two decades, nothing would have been accomplished....

First and foremost, always -- Tom Cavanaugh, Fox Music's head of business affairs...quite simply without Tom's constant help, support, encouragement, and boundless enthusiasm and generosity, both in business and as a dear friend--there is no-one like him--this program would not have survived in any way, shape or form. (To the next 20, mate?)

And also:

Dave Goldstein, Lewis Lagrone, Skip Lusk, Pam Kersey, Matt Walden, Mary Jo Menella, Cathy Merenda, Carol Farhat, Larry Zwisohn, Geoff Bywater, JoAnn Orgel, Cindy Cooper, Barbara Lehn, Robert Kraft, Armin Steiner, Dan Hersch, Warren Salyer, Ted Spellman, Greg Curtis, Craig Renwick, Ellen Ginsburg, Denise McCarthy, Hunter Woo, Pat Carreras, Mitzi Brewer,Ted Gagliano and especially Schawn Belston (for taking Ron under your wing when there was nowhere else for him to go!)

Mike Matessino, who first worked with me on the restoration of "The Sound of Music" in 1994, and has been a valued colleague and friend through hundreds of subsequent projects (we'll keep 'em coming!)

And without whom the public would never have heard the work:

Fox Records, Arista Records, RCA/Victor, Sony Music, Phillips, Polygram, Fox Home Entertainment, Varese Sarabande Records, Intrada Records, La-La Land Records, Film Score Monthly, Screen Archives Entertainment, BYU, The Film Music Society, Percepto Records, Rhino Records, and Kritzerland.

And thanks to Dave Shaw and Christine Lewison at Fox Home Ent, the Twilight Time Blu-ray label dedicated to releasing Fox classic movies, continues the synergy of movie and music by including isolated score tracks on every disc. The tradition, established so long ago, continues...

It's hard to believe it's been two decades -- next Saturday my daughter Rebecca (in her 2nd year of college) will turn 20. David Raksin's beautiful score for "Laura" 1944, as previously stated, one of our first releases in 1993, has just come out on Blu-ray, and to tie-in, we have reissued this beautiful music, complete for the first time, on Kritzerland (thanks, BK!)

The world is a circle, as Burt Bacharach (and Hal David), once said.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ChasSmith

« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2013, 03:05:55 PM »

Boy, that's all great stuff.  Thanks, DR Ron.

George

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2013, 03:34:40 PM »

Thanks for posting that, Ron!

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »

Happy to see that one of my favorite film noirs is coming to DVD and Blu-ray next month. CRASHOUT was one of the first movies I bought on VHS (right after I bought BRIDE OF THE GORILLA) way back when...such a good film.

KevinH

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »

Welcome home, TCB!

Jane

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »

On a happy note, for film music fans, today is a "milestone".  From FOHHH (Friend of HainesHisWay) Nick Redman:

And without whom the public would never have heard the work:

and Kritzerland.

It's hard to believe it's been two decades -- next Saturday my daughter Rebecca (in her 2nd year of college) will turn 20. David Raksin's beautiful score for "Laura" 1944, as previously stated, one of our first releases in 1993, has just come out on Blu-ray, and to tie-in, we have reissued this beautiful music, complete for the first time, on Kritzerland (thanks, BK!)

DR Ron thank you very much for sharing this with us.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2013, 05:17:05 PM »

We are seeing

Kinky Boots

tonight.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous!!   I need a line waiting friend!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2013, 05:47:34 PM »

On a similar note to Nick's - right around this time twenty years ago, I was flying to New York to produce my first two CDs for Varese Sarabande - Unsung Sondheim and Liz Callaway.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up