Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: BARBARA, TAKE OFF YOUR PANTYHOSE  (Read 36359 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: BARBARA, TAKE OFF YOUR PANTYHOSE
« Reply #180 on: June 07, 2013, 01:39:25 PM »

I bought the ingredients for Whiskey Nut Cake this weekend, but I forgot to read the instructions: Bake for three hours.

Three hours, must be a heavy cake.

Jane

« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2013, 01:40:44 PM »

I braved a turkey sandwich - I'm still not 100%, which I find very hard to believe - some of that, I'm sure, comes from the smell of what the workers are using, some comes from the headache I have from all the noise, and some must still be residing from the bout of food poisoning.  I do hope they at least finish the den door stuff today so I don't have to have that awful plastic in the house.

VIBES THE DEN DOOR STUFF IS FINISHED TODAY!!!!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2013, 01:42:23 PM »

bk, have you been given a general time frame for how long the work is expected to take?  Sheesh.

~ ~ ~ CONTINUED FEEL BETTER VIBES!!! ~ ~ ~
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2013, 01:43:31 PM »

Rain vibes for DR JANE and her general area.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2013, 01:48:04 PM »

VIBES spelled backward is SEBIV.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2013, 01:51:10 PM »

VIBES spelled backward is SEBIV.

And karma spelled backwards is amrak.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2013, 01:59:34 PM »

Is that phrase a euphemism for something else?

Well, no. It wasn't intended to be. Besides, I never use euphemisms.   8)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2013, 02:00:38 PM »

Just because.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2013, 02:01:09 PM »

I bought the ingredients for Whiskey Nut Cake this weekend, but I forgot to read the instructions: Bake for three hours.

Three hours, must be a heavy cake.

Three pounds of dried fruit. And 1 cup of whiskey.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2013, 02:03:30 PM »

And does the recipe say how many hours of recovery?   ;)

John G.

« Reply #190 on: June 07, 2013, 02:04:29 PM »

VIBES for DR Matthew's coat show ... the original post of which I somehow completely missed, so I'm glad DR Jane quoted it.

Has a similar "legal" thing cause a cast member absence several years back.
And more vibes for Matthew and cast.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #191 on: June 07, 2013, 02:05:21 PM »

And does the recipe say how many hours of recovery?   ;)
I haven't made it before. Sounds like a fruit cake but with dried fruit and not candied. That's why I wanted to try it.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #192 on: June 07, 2013, 02:08:10 PM »

VIBES for DR Matthew's coat show ... the original post of which I somehow completely missed, so I'm glad DR Jane quoted it.

Has a similar "legal" thing cause a cast member absence several years back.
And more vibes for Matthew and cast.

(Oy. Typo. Fixed it on the original post.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: June 07, 2013, 02:24:03 PM »

Stan's is indeed going strong.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: June 07, 2013, 02:24:22 PM »

Sending singers music right now.

MBarnum

« Reply #195 on: June 07, 2013, 02:35:37 PM »

Speaking of Whiskey, I trotted down to the alcohol store the other day and picked up some Jim Beam Red Stag Black Cherry. I also bought a bottle of Di Saronno Amerreto. Just because.

Hopefully, I will remember to get around to at least trying them.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #196 on: June 07, 2013, 02:35:04 PM »

I see that Oldies is selling the Charles Boyer Collection for $5.95.  No offense to a very fine actor, but I can understand why it is only $5.95.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 07:59:57 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #197 on: June 07, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »

I was quite shocked to find that our East Salem liquor store is open on Sundays! Who knew!

(and for those in other states who may not know, we cannot buy hard alcohol in grocery stores in Oregon, only in State run liquor stores)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2013, 02:37:02 PM »

Hoo and ray, the notes posted as scheduled!

Even if the posts note notes post, do you still have to lock the thread from the previous day?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #199 on: June 07, 2013, 02:38:34 PM »

Hello from Amsterdam!   I'm staying in a very strange hotel.  My room has hardly any light and the tv doesn't work.  The woman at "reception" is going to let me change rooms later. 

On a happier note, I went to see the Brooklyn Singer last night.  The audience was really enthusiastic--so much so that she did an extra (brief) encore.  I think it may have been one if best concerts.

Did you and Babs go to a bar and smoke pot after the show?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #200 on: June 07, 2013, 02:39:47 PM »

Stan's is indeed going strong.

I was thinking of Stan himself.  Last we saw him he was still going strong but he is getting older. This is truly someone who enjoys his work.

John G.

« Reply #201 on: June 07, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »

Hello from Amsterdam!   I'm staying in a very strange hotel.  My room has hardly any light and the tv doesn't work.  The woman at "reception" is going to let me change rooms later. 

On a happier note, I went to see the Brooklyn Singer last night.  The audience was really enthusiastic--so much so that she did an extra (brief) encore.  I think it may have been one if best concerts.

Wonderful and exciting!!!!  ;D

Neil Diamond is a she?
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #202 on: June 07, 2013, 02:49:01 PM »

Earthquake also has the comedic scene when the elevator falls and when it lands cartoon blood flies into the camera.

Found in IMDB:

Why is there animated blood in the elevator crash sequence? 

In the theatrical cut of the film (not the "television version," where this shot is excised), "cartoon-like" animated blood is "sprayed" on the camera lens when the elevator hits the bottom of the shaft. The effect is poorly executed, and ruins an otherwise nerve-wracking scene.

There are two main theories as to why the animated blood sequence was created, but first the facts must be addressed: After reviewing call sheets and production reports from director Mark Robson's personal archives, the fan web site "earthquakemovie.com" has uncovered the fact that the elevator sequence was shot three times, on three separate days (March 26, March 27 and April 4, 1974). Whether this indicates that certain shots of the elevator sequence were simply spread out over three shooting days, or whether it was the result of the sequence being problematic (and thus, shot and reshot again) is unclear. What is telling, is the production report lists several stunt artist's injuries from the final day of shooting the elevator crash on April 4, 1974 (including Gary Epper and Stephanie Epper). The end result of the "animated blood" sequence in the final film is telling, since one of the theories hinges on the fact that shooting the sequence was problematic.

The elevator set itself was a three wall set built out of polystyrene plastic, which was suspended three feet off the stage floor (Universal Stage 27). The rig was held in place by water driven pumps, which were designed to drive the suspended set down at a faster rate than the 13 stunt artists inside would fall (thus, providing a "free fall" effect). As the set hit the stage floor, the polystyrene walls would collapse on the stunt artists. Also visible in the sequence are several areas of the set and of the stunt artists clothes, which have forming blotches of blood that last a few frames, revealing the fact that the stunt artists and / or the set itself was rigged with bladders of "stage blood" which would deploy on impact. This is visible for three or four frames prior to the infamous "animated blood" shot.

Which brings us to the two theories:

THEORY ONE: Based on the problematic nature of the shooting, and the probablility that director Mark Robson never got what he wanted from the shot, he opted to "fix it in post production." Since the crash was shot three times over two weeks, the break in shooting between the second and third attempts suggest this was time for the special effects department to continue working to get the effect right. After three attempts, the plug was pulled on the scene (and possibly due to the injuries sustained by the stunt artists on the final day), and an optical effect was added in post. This theory is further supported by the fact that the optical effect of the animated blood was superimposed over a still frame of the elevator crash, with the stunt artists splayed about on the elevator set, and not a moving shot (the moving shot may not have worked).

THEORY TWO: This theory holds that Robson finally got the effect he was after from the sequence on the third try. Crashing elevator, falling stunt artists, and splattering blood, which would have been a very effective (and gory) sequence. However; the MPAA rated "Earthquake" some time around October, 1974 (for a November 15, 1974 release date), and the violence and gore of the scene may have been a red flag for the MPAA to slap an "R" rating on the film (remember, this was 1974). An "R" rating on "Earthquake" would have doomed the picture, cutting out the huge teenage market, so the scene may have had to be cut. With little time to reshoot the scene (and likely, no money), Robson opted to cut the scene and add the animated blood optical effect in post production, rather than cut the scene earlier or some other option.

Regardless of the motivation for Robson and Universal opting for the animated blood option, the scene made it into the final print of the film.

Page last updated by Avenger69, 6 years ago
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #203 on: June 07, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »

I had to use a different treadmill at the Y today.  This photo doesn't do the view justice.

Jane

« Reply #204 on: June 07, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »

While this view is better than the one from my favorite treadmill it isn't as comfortable in this area of the Y.  It is much quieter in the back room & rarely, as it was today, busy. 

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #205 on: June 07, 2013, 03:04:20 PM »

Good morning, all! Another poor sleepless night and strange dreams mixing fact and fiction, including one about my Aunt Jean's home on Hamilton-Mason Road in Hamilton, Ohio, and her neighbor Ted Chapin of the Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization, his wife, and two sons - he has two daughters! - but the sons were more like Sam and Mike, Tom Jones' boys. Then I had a dream about a reality tv show and a person caught in a fire.  It's good to be awake.

Today, I am off to Toyland. I have several things to correct, notes to correct, and two lyrics questions to answer.

DR Jane, I love the Windling-Datlow collections of fairy tale retellings. I would guess there are about six different collections from them.

TOD
  DVD:  BIG BANG THEORY (Season 4), several BBC Region-2 ghost story collections
  CD:  Britten music
  VCR: filth

Did you wish you had attended the Fred and Adele Astaire Awards the other night?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #206 on: June 07, 2013, 03:07:09 PM »

Remember when Shampoo came in a spray can?

Psssssst

Also this

Psssssst

After a Google search, it looks like it still does.

Fabreeze for your head.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: June 07, 2013, 03:06:18 PM »

Those Earthquake scenarios for the animated blood are foolish fan dribblings.  This was a FILM, not TV show - it certainly could have taken all three days to complete the sequence if the sequence included all the shots from before the crash through the crash - that's a complicated sequence of shots and therefore I don't see any of these other scenarios.  They don't state what the actual injuries to the two stunt people were - if they were really serious they would have been listed in the production report.  Furthermore, it's rather ludicrous that this guy thinks the MPAA would slap an R rating on the film for a few blood squibs - he says, "remember, this was 1974" - by that time we'd had The Wild Bunch and Straw Dogs, and something as mild as a few squibs would not cause a problem for anyone - and a simple look at other scenes from the film that have lots of blood on folks and much worse than a few squibs renders this fanboy's premise silly as can be.  The animated blood is ludicrous, but so is the rest of the film, save for the actual earthquake effects.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: June 07, 2013, 03:06:30 PM »

All music has been sent.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #209 on: June 07, 2013, 03:09:23 PM »

Why hasn't anyone here mentioned how many total days, hours, and minutes they have been on this site?
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up