Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: GNEKTH KEJJ TI HGHKE TTBJKJ  (Read 15005 times)

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
Re:GNEKTH KEJJ TI HGHKE TTBJKJ
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2004, 06:25:44 PM »

Hello!  ;D You caught me. Actually I just now got caught up with all of today's lovely posts. I Love fruit, blueberries, rasberries, bananas, and cantelope is something I really enjoy, and of course who can forget tomatoes. I am actually not a big fan of strawberries. Maybe it is just because I have not found a truly good and ripe strawberry but they always taste sour to me. I love strawberry milkshakes and the like but strawberries by themselves just have always tasted sour. I love melons, grapes, pomengranate, cherries are ok but not a favorite. As for juice, orange juice is my favorite. Actually orange juice does more to get me up and going in the morning than a cup of coffe does. Go figure.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 06:27:09 PM by Joey »
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2004, 06:37:21 PM »

Joey orange juice gives your sugar levels a quick boost, plus it is healthier for you than coffee.  :)

Speaking of healthy.  TCB too bad you don't like fruit.  Not even tomatoes?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2004, 06:48:03 PM »

Good ear vibes to Danise!

The doctor's tale - Aaaaarggghhh!

Jane

« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2004, 07:12:14 PM »

Joey you changed your avatar.  You just aged a few years along with it.  Both pics are equally nice, but very different. :D

Jane

« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2004, 07:13:01 PM »

Time to sign off.  Goodnight.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #155 on: August 03, 2004, 07:42:05 PM »

Fair enough.  I'll write about operetta at some later point, but for now I'd like to hear what pre-Miserable musicals would fit the definition of Eurotrash, reprinted below:

Eurotrash, n.
A large musical usually by at least one European writer, from the last 20 years with some or all of the following characteristics:

1. Little or no dialogue
2. Plot concerns something unusally tragic or sad
3. Anachronistic music, that rocks on with little or no feeling for time and place
4. Cliche lyrics, usually with dull rhyme schemes and false rhymes
5. Self-pity
6. Bad taste
7. Little or no humor or wit
8. Absence of subtext.  Characters tell you exactly how they feel (often self-pity) leaving the audience nothing to do or discover

Well, let's start by trashing that garbage about "the last 20 years or so."  Example numero uno: Tommy, by Pete Townsend and the other members of The Who.  Originally released as a concept album in 1969, done in concert versions then as a film, and finally produced on stage in 1992.  Took a while, but it set the precedent.  Perhaps not a true "operetta" in it's structure, but billed as a "rock opera," and the first in the new line.

Numero deus: Jesus Christ, Superstar.  Andrew and Tim.  Again, originally a concept album, this time with parts assigned to players.  (If you've ever heard Tim Rice sing, you'd understand why.)  This time, a true "rock opera", and thus even more in line with the operetta.  Quite controversial back when I was in high school.  (Graduated in '71, that should give you an idea of the time frame.)  Produced for the stage in 1971 in London.

Numero tres: Evita, again with Andy and Timmy.  Again, originally produced as a concept album, with parts.  (I know what happened to Colm Wilkenson, but whatever happened to Julie Covington?)  The new Operetta gets legitimized when brought to the stage with Hal Prince directing.

Numero quatro (and this is what blows the entire Eurotrash label to smithereens): Sweeney Todd.  Sondheim, 1979.  American composer and lyricist.  American director.  The closest it comes to having a European as a creator is Angela Lansbury, the original performing Mrs. Lovett.

The stage was then set for Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Chess, and the stuff Linda Eder's estranged hubby has given us, among others.  All operetta.  All concept musicals.  All part of the same generation as Company and A Chorus Line.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #156 on: August 03, 2004, 07:55:53 PM »

Now to add my two cents here!  The great joke about OKLAHOMA! is that they didn't know it was a breakthrough; it was a continuation of methods already in use by Richard Rodgers (PAL JOEY  and BABES IN ARMS dream ballets with Balanchine) and Oscar Hammerstein advancing methods to write a "musical play."  It's hard to believe that the man who wrote SHOWBOAT turned around and wrote THE NEW MOON, but his MUSIC IN THE AIR libretto is quite good.  Hammerstein had it easier with OKLAHOMA! since it was an adaptation of a Lynn Riggs play, but the Will Parker character is totally Hammerstein's since he's only talked about in GREEN GROW THE LILACS and he never appears.
Hammerstein was one of the best librettists ever, when it came to operetta/musical play.  He wasn't as strong with the musical comedy.
COMPANY is a lot cheekier, playing with time, space, and song, but it's a product of the late 1960s, and it shows its debt to theatrical forms of the time (theatre of the absurd, the Theatre de Lys THREEPENNY OPERA) as well as popular music of the time:  I  hear a lot of Bacharach; is that Sondheim or Tunick's work on PROMISES, PROMISES?   A FUNNY THING HAPPENED . . . and ANYONE CAN WHISTLE employ a lot of the same techniques, but COMPANY seems to be, like OKLAHOMA!, the point where it all melds and changes what's to come without ever being aware of it.
Maybe the authors were or weren't aware of the difference.  The critics and audiences sure were aware that something had happened.  It's one of those "can't see the forest for the trees" scenarios: if you plant the trees, you aren't really aware of them growing, but then someone comes along and sees the beautiful stand and has their breath taken away.

(Der Brucer is shaking his head, as if to say "too purple," but I like the metaphor.   ;D)

The "concept" musical existed as far back as Kurt Weill's LOVE LIFE, but I've always felt that wasn't quite the correct term, since I often find the "concept" vanishes by the end of the first act.  One "concept" musical that works for me is THE FANTASTICKS (commedia dell'arte, Bernstein's CANDIDE, Brecht alienation techniques).
Prior to Love Life came Allegro, another musical that Sondheim has cited as an influence.

Or, for those who don't like the concept musical at all, an influenca.

Remember, no groaning.   ;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2004, 07:56:02 PM »

Thanks, everyone.  The first day was NOT very productive.  My computer arrived last week sometime, but it was broken, so another one was ordered and it hasn't arrived yet.  So I spent my time in another office, watching someone do a lot of the work that I am to be taught to do.

It is very difficult not being hands on, and of course even though eventually I will have access to the internet at work, I will not be able to post until I am in my own space (shared) on my own computer.  Oh well....at least I am on my way, as they say!

No rehearsal for me tonight, but the rest of the week, I will be leaving early in the morning and getting home late at night.  BUT I will be earning a paycheck!  I remember one of those!

It is good to be having an income again!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2004, 08:03:01 PM »

the Reading Terminal market....When I first took Woody to the Market it was like seeing Willy Wonka in the Chocolate Factory...
Charlie.  Charlie in the Chocolate Factory.  Wonka built the place.  Ask any Oompa-Loompa.

There are times, my dear DerB, when I wonder whether you are culturally depraved or just culturally deprived.   :'(
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 08:04:05 PM by S. Woody White »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2004, 08:06:54 PM »

I think I've finished writing for today. Can't see straight. That's always a good time to quit.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2004, 08:21:40 PM »

...When I was growing up, my mom (who's from Germany) used to make a fruit torte where you bake then invert a thin sponge cake that has a raised edge around the outside.....Here's a picture of the pan:

Which we don't carry in the store.  Dang.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2004, 08:25:41 PM »

As for your categorizing me as "vicious"  -- were you never around during our bitch-slapping frenzies on HHW.com?  Everyone bitch-slapped everyone else.  It was a slapping fury at times.
And a bitch slap for you and your arm!

I feel much better now myself!  Thank-you!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #162 on: August 03, 2004, 08:57:07 PM »

Thanks for the info on the THIS IS YOUR LIFE set, DR MBarnum.

I don't know about all of them, but I know the Bette Davis one was done during the show's syndicated revival version in the 1970s which I never thought were as good as the original version from the 1950s.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2004, 09:08:19 PM »

I only had time after THE ROAD TO BALI to watch "Silver Blaze," another Sherlock Holmes episode.

Much as I like these, I think I prefer the Hercule Poirot hour long episodes rather than the Holmes ones. All are beautifully done. I just think the Poirot mysteries on TV are a bit tighter. In print, of course, I much prefer Sherlock Holmes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2004, 09:27:20 PM »

I was never a big fan of orange juice. Especially since Halloween five years ago when I threw up a whole glass of orange juice on Sunset Boulevard. But that's another story.

And of course another couple favorite fruits are cherries and the cola fruit. (You know, like Cherry Coke. I've never thrown that up.)
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #165 on: August 03, 2004, 10:50:00 PM »

TMI DRSandra....TMI....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #166 on: August 03, 2004, 10:51:00 PM »

The U. S. Government aside,

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=50]TOMATOES ARE FRUITS![/size][/move]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #167 on: August 03, 2004, 10:52:33 PM »

I only bring that up because, as long as we're talking fruit drinks, let's give a big cheer for the Bloody Mary!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :D    :D    :D    :D    :D    :D    :D    :D    :D    :D    :D    :D[/move]

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: August 03, 2004, 11:00:30 PM »

I'm back, a bit earlier than last night, but not by much.  I'll tell you all about tech in the notes, which I will write now.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2004, 11:31:26 PM »

Hello, all. I really do not have anything of interest to say, except I really love a nice yellow pear.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #170 on: August 04, 2004, 12:00:41 AM »

DR SWoody:  THANKS!  It's been a long time since I was bitch-slapped.

Felt GOOD!

:D

And one BACK AT YOU, just for "G.P."!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up