Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GNEKTH KEJJ TI HGHKE TTBJKJ  (Read 15004 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
GNEKTH KEJJ TI HGHKE TTBJKJ
« on: August 02, 2004, 11:59:26 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know all about their translated meaning, and now you simply must post until the translated cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 12:00:51 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:GNEKTH KEJJ TI HGHKE TTBJKJ
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 12:08:49 AM »

For a second there I thought you were typing in Armenian ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 12:09:35 AM »

So you had a day of pie - coconut cream, apple.... and pizza pie!

Hmmm...  Maybe I'll bring some more pies for tomorrow's rehearsal... Hmm.....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 12:09:53 AM »

Speaking of tomorrow's rehearsal...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 12:10:59 AM »

TOD:

So, what are your all-time favorite fruits, and how do you like to prepare them, aside from just eating them raw – do you like making dishes with them or special desserts with them. Anything fruit, that’s what I’m talkin’ about.

Speechless...utterly speechless!

der Brucer (TCB will have a field day!)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 12:14:02 AM »

So did you boycott the pitbull, Mr BK?

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 12:15:10 AM »

Mmmmmmmmmm.....I like watermelon and grapes.  In fact in the summertime, I like to serve a fruit salad in a hollowed out watermelon rind.  MMMMMMMMMMMM.....

Bananas.  But I think my favorite....would be a nice yellow apple!

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 12:22:20 AM »

Pineapples and bananas for me. I love most berry fruits - the "tang" of raspberries especially.

I like Rubarb and Strawberry together too - gently heated and topped with meringue and cream.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 12:23:45 AM »

The pit bull apologized sort of via Tammy but not personally.  I think she got the point and I will now get a daily report on what she's doing.

MORE pies?  We still have some apple and coconut left.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 12:25:00 AM »

I like blueberries on my cereal. And I like peaches in any form. Just to eat as is. Peach pie. Peach cobbler.
I had my first banana at around age 5, then didn't have one again until age 8. So I still find them quite special -- although I haven't had one in ages.
I find canteloupe very refreshing. Sometimes I go on a grape binge and eat until I'm sick. A nice crisp apple sometimes hits the spot. Apples with cheese are delish.
That's all the fruit talk for tonight.

Panni

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 12:32:27 AM »

Oranges are nice, too. When I was a kid in Hungary, oranges had to be purchased on the black market and were a huge treat. I was a very thin kid so my mother always tried to buy me treats to eat. She'd come home with stuff hidden under her coat.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 12:36:38 AM »

I just heard what we prerecorded on Sunday, all edited and put-together, and I must say it's pretty hilarious and I'm adding it to Act Two tomorrow.  

Panni

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 12:36:41 AM »

G'night.

Panni

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 12:40:32 AM »

Hilarious is good.  ;D ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 01:41:26 AM »

Fruit?

My Grandfather (paternal) had several lemon trees growing in his back yard, a substantial yard since it was on the (then) outskirts of Riverside, CA.  Every year, he would give us bags filled with lemons, and every year he would await my mother's lemon merangue pies.  He loved them very much.

In our yard, meanwhile, we had five pomegranate bushes, which also bore numerous fruits.  My task, each year, was to juice the pomegranates, a messy task.  My mother would the filter the juice and make the tastiest jelly.

One fruit my mother did not try her hand at using in the kitchen (well, except for upside-down cake) was pineapple.  The best memory I have of that fruit was when it was served as an appetizer course during dinner at the Nut Tree restaurant outside Napa, CA.  It was simply cored and cut into half-moon slices, and served with a marshmallow dipping sauce.  Having only tasted canned pineapple before, the flavor of the fresh pineapple was completely unexpected.  The Nut Tree is no longer there, sad to say; even their private airport has been bulldozed.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2004, 01:47:57 AM »

What DR Noel refers to as "Eurotrash Musicals" is not a separate form.  These shows are an extention of the concept musical, in their case re-imagining the traditional operetta.  We are still chronologically in the concept musical generation, although a new generation should be starting shortly.  All it's going to take is a breakthrough show, such as Oklahoma! and Company were breakthroughs.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2004, 02:04:42 AM »

Well here it is, DR's.  

The square watermelon!  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2004, 02:39:33 AM »

Strawberries and rhubarb pie with vanilla ice cream....especially if the pie is still warm from the oven.

DRPANNI I am still thinking about the guy at the phone store who brought up your IMDB listing.....I hope Vera Ralston never shopped there!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2004, 02:40:54 AM »

Oh, all right - here is your Allison Hayes Picture of the Week.  8)

It's all right that the beach is fake, because the bathing suit probably was never in the water anyway!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2004, 02:42:34 AM »

I am not sure how to describe that footwear!  I know it is open-toed with a clear plastic instep and a medium heel.  And believe me after all her years in Tinseltown, Allison knew ALL ABOUT medium heels.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2004, 02:51:05 AM »

I have just taken a LOT of photos off my hard drive, including some that I had posted here at HHW.  if you are searching and find a nice red X instead of a photo in my past posts that is the reason.

By taking them off my hard drive, they are no longer taking space on the HHW server and that makes space for MORE PICTURES!!

At least I think that is true.

Michael

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2004, 03:06:20 AM »

YESTERDAY TWO DR MENTIONED WHAT HAPPENED WHEN DOGS THEY KNEW FARTED

Quote from: George on Yesterday at 12:17:38pm
My sister has a dog (Murphy) and EVERY time he farts, he surprised himself!  It's as if he has no idea what just happened.  It's hysterical!

From TD
Minx does that too!  Of course she's surprised a second time when she sniffs and decides that the spot she had been sleeping in is no longer her happy place.

When my late dog used to fart he would blame the human sitting next to him

Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2004, 03:47:03 AM »

Morning all!  First day of school for some of the kids here in Florida.  I think our area starts on towards the end of the week.  

Traffic--ugh.  I guess I will have stop getting breakfast on the way to work.  I was so getting used to that.  The bus will be start to be late.  I'll be lucky to make it to the office on time instead of having the half hour leave way of time to stop at my favorite little shop and pick something up.  Sigh.  

Glad to hear that the show is coming along.  Wish I could come see it.  I'm learning a lot about how a show comes together.  I did some shows but I never messed with any of the tech details.  

Gotta run!  Have a good dry day everyone.  Talk with you tonight!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2004, 04:29:42 AM »

DR DANISE it is nearly time for you to put your Labor Duds on your Avatar....or maybe you will just want to go for Election day!!

Okay....today I learn what my computer set up is at my new job, so if I can come to HHW on the net, I will be posting later this morning or afternoon....if not...I won't be around until tonight.

Good new job vibes will be most appreciated and used.

Ben

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2004, 04:51:47 AM »

Best of luck and good new job vibes to JR

~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~

Ben

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2004, 04:55:10 AM »

I love fruit (maybe because I'm a fig).

Blueberries are an absolute favorite. Good strawberries. Peaches, plums and nectarines. I love grapefruit and watermelon. I rarely "do anything' to the fruit, preferring to eat it in the natural state. A fresh, crisp apple from the greenmarket on a hot summer day (or a cool autumn day) is perfect. I do like to cut up pieces of fruit, place them in a bowl and drizzle plain yogurt over the whole thing. What a great lunch!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2004, 04:56:34 AM »

What DR Noel refers to as "Eurotrash Musicals" is not a separate form.  These shows are an extention of the concept musical, in their case re-imagining the traditional operetta.  We are still chronologically in the concept musical generation, although a new generation should be starting shortly.  All it's going to take is a breakthrough show, such as Oklahoma! and Company were breakthroughs.

Fair enough.  I'll write about operetta at some later point, but for now I'd like to hear what pre-Miserable musicals would fit the definition of Eurotrash, reprinted below:

Eurotrash, n.
A large musical usually by at least one European writer, from the last 20 years with some or all of the following characteristics:

1. Little or no dialogue
2. Plot concerns something unusally tragic or sad
3. Anachronistic music, that rocks on with little or no feeling for time and place
4. Cliche lyrics, usually with dull rhyme schemes and false rhymes
5. Self-pity
6. Bad taste
7. Little or no humor or wit
8. Absence of subtext.  Characters tell you exactly how they feel (often self-pity) leaving the audience nothing to do or discover
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2004, 05:40:52 AM »

Any fruit that grows locally, I try to have only in season (Ontario is surprisingly bountiful): various berries (esp. wild blueberries), melons, peaches, plums, apricots, apples and pears. I also like shopping at one of our Chinatowns for exotic fruit - papayas, mangoes, persimmons. Like Ben, I prefer fruit on its own (or in a colorful fruit salad), though I sometimes serve a cold blueberry or melon soup.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 05:43:32 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2004, 05:59:33 AM »

Now to add my two cents here!  The great joke about OKLAHOMA! is that they didn't know it was a breakthrough; it was a continuation of methods already in use by Richard Rodgers (PAL JOEY  and BABES IN ARMS dream ballets with Balanchine) and Oscar Hammerstein advancing methods to write a "musical play."  It's hard to believe that the man who wrote SHOWBOAT turned around and wrote THE NEW MOON, but his MUSIC IN THE AIR libretto is quite good.  Hammerstein had it easier with OKLAHOMA! since it was an adaptation of a Lynn Riggs play, but the Will Parker character is totally Hammerstein's since he's only talked about in GREEN GROW THE LILACS and he never appears.  

COMPANY is a lot cheekier, playing with time, space, and song, but it's a product of the late 1960s, and it shows its debt to theatrical forms of the time (theatre of the absurd, the Theatre de Lys THREEPENNY OPERA) as well as popular music of the time:  I  hear a lot of Bacharach; is that Sondheim or Tunick's work on PROMISES, PROMISES?   A FUNNY THING HAPPENED . . . and ANYONE CAN WHISTLE employ a lot of the same techniques, but COMPANY seems to be, like OKLAHOMA!, the point where it all melds and changes what's to come without ever being aware of it.

The "concept" musical existed as far back as Kurt Weill's LOVE LIFE, but I've always felt that wasn't quite the correct term, since I often find the "concept" vanishes by the end of the first act.  One "concept" musical that works for me is THE FANTASTICKS (commedia dell'arte, Bernstein's CANDIDE, Brecht alienation techniques).

Now to fruit:  my mother baked great pineapple upside-down cakes, but I still prefer fresh fruit, especially fruit salad.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2004, 06:04:01 AM »

It goes without saying that I love fruit, but I don't eat as much as I would like.  Primarily because my favorite supermarket doesn't do produce well and buying fruit there is always a chancey venture.  The apples can be mealy, the plums and peaches too hard and the bananas either green or completely spotted.  

But I can occasionally get over to the Reading Terminal (I'll have to describe this place for the DRs at some point) and load up on all the fresh fruit I want.  And there is a lot I want--apples, peaches, blueberries, raspberries, bananas, grapes, plums, necturines and if I'm feeling industrious, a pineapple or two.  In fact, the only fruit that I don't like is grapefruit.  I try it again and again, but I can't take to the taste.

I don't do anything especially different with fruit, pretty much eating it raw.  I do like berries or bananas in my Cheerios, bananas in my ice cream.  And I love frozen grapes.

Speaking of frozen fruit, there's a place in Ocean City, NJ, called the Bashful Banana.  They take a frozen banana, put it through some sort of high powered masher, and out comes something that has the consistancy of soft-serve ice cream.  It is delish.  There are all kinds of fresh-made bakery items that you can have your frozen banana served on, like a mini crumb pie shell or a raisin muffin, but I like mine plain.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up