Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HOME SWEET HOME  (Read 19479 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: HOME SWEET HOME
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 06:50:59 AM »

Page Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 06:59:48 AM »

I don't know the answer to FJL's question, but is Herod commonly played as a "novelty" or "stunt casting" part these days?

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 07:01:29 AM »

TOD:

I also saw CHICAGO at the Los Angeles Music Center, and I was lucky enough to see it with Gwen Verdon, Chita Rivera and Jerry Orbach.
You can dream…or you can do.

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 07:04:08 AM »

TOD:

I also saw CHICAGO at the Los Angeles Music Center, and I was lucky enough to see it with Gwen Verdon, Chita Rivera and Jerry Orbach.

Yes!!  I'm digging around to see if I still have my program from that night, DR Druxy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2013, 07:09:50 AM »

TOD:

Yes!!  I'm digging around to see if I still have my program from that night, DR Druxy.

And I do not.  We'll have to chalk this up to a botched moment in the history of musical theater.

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2013, 07:20:29 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  My sister is on her way home to Michigan and Mom is probably still putting groceries away.  I'm glad to be home for a puttering day - lots of paperwork and computer work to do...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2013, 07:22:43 AM »

TOD:

I heart Kander & Ebb.  Absolutely loved Cabaret on Broadway (revival). Saw Chicago on Broadway a few times and enjoyed it a lot.

But my first experience seeing one of their shows live was the touring company of Kiss of the Spiderwoman with Chita Rivera.  I actually think that seeing this show was what made me fall in love with musical theatre.  I had been to a few tours as a child (Phantom, Les Mis, Cats). But seeing Kiss of the Spiderwoman was completely mesmerizing to me. I was in love.

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2013, 07:28:25 AM »

TOD -  I've only seen 4 Kander and Ebb shows on stage, but the first one was a life-altering experience.  In 1967, Mom took me on my first (and her last) trip to New York City and we saw the original cast of CABARET (my first Broadway show).  On that same trip we toured then-new Lincoln Center, including the performing arts division of New York Public Library.  That's where I decided to pursue a career as a librarian.

Other K & E shows:  ZORBA tour either in Detroit or Ann Arbor, CHICAGO (revival) tour in Dayton, and CURTAINS in New York with DR Elmore and others from HHW. 
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2013, 07:37:09 AM »

I truly envy those who saw the original production of CABARET.

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2013, 07:39:13 AM »

TOD, continued - Liza Minnelli's recordings and TV specials also introduced me to a lot of Kander and Ebb songs.  It was from her that I first heard the lyrics to "A Quiet Thing," which has become one of my personal anthems.

And I first heard the original CHICAGO in about 1975 or '76 when DR Elmore invited me to his home here in Middletown to listen to the LP.

Like DR John G, we had a radio station in Detroit that played songs from musicals, probably when the shows were playing in Detroit.  I remember hearing "The Happy Time" every morning for a while during my senior year in high school.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2013, 07:57:56 AM »

Like others here, "Cabaret" was my introduction to Kander & Ebb.  It was the Original Broadway Cast album, plus seeing numbers from it on the Tony show (or was it Ed Sullivan) (or was it both)?

My only Kander & Ebb experiences have been through cast albums and the movie versions of "Cabaret" and "Chicago".  And then there are the Liza songs in "New York, New York" and on her albums and on "Liza With A Z".
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:50:27 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 08:00:27 AM »

Nice Nicky Photo yesterday DR TCB!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 08:00:41 AM »

Welcome to new DR ryacko.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2013, 08:00:55 AM »

TOD:

Film version of CABARET!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2013, 08:32:14 AM »

Joshie has arrived, visited, picked up the music he needed, and headed to City Center. I am waiting on UPS.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2013, 08:49:09 AM »

Welcome to new DR ryacko. It is always nice to see a new face around the place!

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2013, 08:50:59 AM »

Kander and Ebb....Kander and Ebb....Kander and Ebb....hmmm....got nothing.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2013, 08:52:39 AM »

Warm greetings to new DR Robert Yacko!  Looking forward to getting to know you via your postings here.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2013, 08:52:40 AM »

Ok, I did see CHICAGO....the movie and the stage version.

It would seem that I have very little experience with musicals of the 60s forward.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2013, 08:53:45 AM »

Kander and Ebb....Kander and Ebb....Kander and Ebb....hmmm....got nothing.

HUGE Surprise.........................not!

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2013, 08:52:38 AM »

Welcome, new DR ryacko!

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2013, 08:57:18 AM »

DC (Dear Cat) Freddy has been trying out some new foods and now I think his tummy isn't feeling good this morning. At least he acted like he wasn't feeling well.

Lately he has had little interest in eating his cat food, the same cat food I have fed him for the last 10 years, and as a result he has lost a lot of weight.

Last night I bought a couple different types of dry cat food especially made for "older cats." He loved both and ate to his heart's content. However, the switch may not have agreed with him.

I will see how he reacts over that next couple of days.

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2013, 08:59:41 AM »

Today is Mamie Van Doren day on TCM.

Set your DVR accordingly.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2013, 09:12:35 AM »

Today is Mamie Van Doren day on TCM.

Set your DVR accordingly.

I will unplug it.

::)
You can dream…or you can do.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2013, 09:20:54 AM »

~ ~ ~ TUMMY VIBES ~ ~ ~ for DC Freddy!!!

Most vets that I have known have suggested that if you're changing food, you do it gradually and by mixing old and new for a transition period. Might be worth a try.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

John G.

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2013, 09:22:31 AM »

MBarnum, I hope DC Freddy is feeling more fit real soon.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2013, 09:22:17 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - slept very well and honestly thought it must be around eleven - still got eight hours.

John G.

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2013, 09:24:28 AM »

TOD 2: I think my favorite Kander and Ebb score (twice I've typed Kander and Egg -- oy) is "70, Girls, 70." Great songs, even if the script is lousy. It was one of those finds that I played over and over again. My sister didn't break that one, though.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »

Those who've read the third Kritzer book know that I was aware of Mr. Kander before Mr. Ebb - the musical A Family Affair, which I saw at a small theater on Santa Monica Blvd. in its first production after the unsuccessful Broadway one.  I remember it vividly - Terry Becker was in it, John Gabriel, and Suzy someone whose last name escapes me right at this moment (she was in the film of West Side Story).  This was Kander pre-Ebb - they lyrics were by James and William Goldman. 

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2013, 09:26:32 AM »

In the Interesting Juxtapositions Department, this morning I encountered a dude that looked like this:

With this blasting out of his motorcycle stereo system:

Hilarity ensued.    ;D

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up