Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HOME SWEET HOME  (Read 19481 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HOME SWEET HOME
« on: June 20, 2013, 12:50:58 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were home sweet home, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home sweet home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: HOME SWEET HOME
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 12:53:35 AM »

And the word of the day is: PECCANT!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:55:14 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 01:01:17 AM »

First post!  :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 01:01:26 AM »

Welcome back, BK!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 01:05:29 AM »

Last night, I saw a local production of Jesus Christ Superstar.  It was the final dress/preview/volunteer appreciation performance.  We got to see the show for free (and sit in the regular seat...and NOT usher!) and we were fed.  It was a very nice spread. :D TCB, Christian Doyle is playing Judas.  The production is based on the 2012 UK "Live Arena Tour...Christian even has a wig of dreadlocks.  They have modern protesters and also use projections, although they're their own video creations. 

George

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 01:06:52 AM »

Their biggest change from the "traditional" interpretation is that Herod is played by a woman (a real woman, not a man in drag) as Oprah Winfrey!  She was good, but I don't know if it really worked.  Otherwise, the production and the performers were very good.  And I didn't know this, but a friend of mine that I hadn't seen in about 10 years is in the show!  We chatted after and will catch up the next time I see the show...I certainly plan to see it again.

George

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 01:18:36 AM »

And now, to bed!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 01:47:57 AM »

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 02:25:54 AM »

How nice to see DR ryacko joining us in the living room last night!  Welcome, sir.

Perhaps you can serenade us all with a ditty every now and then!      :)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 02:55:59 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 03:44:06 AM »

Good morning, all! Something good has to happen soon because the stress is giving me truly weird dreams: the first one was about my cousins forcing their Bible-thumping mother, my Aunt Lois, who died around 1976,  to watch the video of The Brain From Planet X because they wanted their high school to do a production. This all took place in the house where I lived in 1979 in Middletown, OH. The second dream was about the wedding of Ron Raines around 1986 or so, and it had something to do with a ribbon for the bride's bouquet.  It was a good morning to hear the alarm,

So, I'm happy you are home in one piece, BK!

Welcome to our new DR ryacko!

Around 9, I will head down to Kinko's at 24th and Seventh to pick up those new vocl scores, take them to Toyland and bind them. Then, I will tape orchestra parts while I wait fora delivery of copy paper. Once that arrives, I'll head home. My adopted son Joshie will show up around 10 to borrow a vocal score and it will be nice to visit with hm for a bit.

More coffee! I wish I something strong to pour into it.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 04:05:02 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 04:08:42 AM »

tod

cast album of Cabaret and then the movie and couldn't understand why so many songs were cut and why there were characters in the movie that were not on the cast recording. At the time the movie was rated 14 years or older and I liked older than I did at the time so I was able to see the film.

The next show that I saw was the original production of Chicago.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 04:11:36 AM »

I've seen other kander and ebb shows over the years and have their recordings but they've never really been a favorite of mine.
Never stop dreaming.

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 05:25:30 AM »

:)
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 05:26:19 AM »

Good morning.

Happy and healthy Thursday vibes.

;)
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 05:26:28 AM »

:)

Kerry

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 05:28:42 AM »

I'm taking my cue from today's notes and have the title for my memoirs: -- DINO AND SO MUCH FISH
I like boat races.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 05:39:16 AM »

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 05:44:26 AM »

Good morning, all.

And a sincere welcome to new DR ryacko!

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 06:24:52 AM »

TOD:

CABARET.  Bought the cast album when new and played it to death.  Bought the vocal score and played that to death.  Sadly, I never got to NYC or anywhere else to see anything close to the original production.  Jumping ahead a few years, I, too, was disappointed in the film because it was such a departure from the stage musical.  I appreciate it now, especially in its beautiful new incarnation on Blu-ray, but back then it just flew right over my head.  CABARET came along in exactly the year I was taught how to properly handle and care for LPs -- in fact, it was the first cast album to have been so treated by me -- and that very piece o' vinyl is still on my shelf and still plays beautifully today.

CHICAGO.  Saw the touring production, cold (I hadn't listened to it at all) at the Dorothy Chandler in L.A., but the silliest thing marred my appreciation of it that evening.  I'd recently gotten my first contact lenses -- I think just a few weeks prior -- and was so excited to be wearing them and enjoying that beautiful new clear full-range vision at the show...but they were just "off" that night, irritating me in some way, and I let myself be continually distracted by it.  Incredibly, that made CHICAGO irritate me, and when I got the album somewhat later and started really appreciating it, I regretted the error of my ways.  I love the show now, regardless of the eyewear I happen to be sporting.

KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN.  Fell instantly in love with the CD.  When I learned that Chita Rivera was to be leaving the show, I hustled and got a ticket for her closing night, and that is without question one of those nights in the theater I will never forget.  The impact of score (which I was totally crazy about, but had only heard out of context) and what I was seeing blew me away, and I wonder to this day why I didn't have Ms. Rivera sign my program as she chatted leisurely and appreciatively with the relatively small assembly of admirers afterward.  Several years later I jumped at the chance to piano/conduct a small production that in general wasn't all that bad, but did suffer at the hands of a lead gal who didn't really "get" it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:27:12 AM by ChasSmith »

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 06:25:52 AM »

TOD:

I'm not sure if my first Kander and Ebb show was CABARET or THE HAPPY TIME.  Both played at the Music Center in Los Angeles, but I don't recall which one I saw first.

Perhaps BK will know.

The production of CABARET I saw had Signe Hasso in it.

THE HAPPY TIME with Robert Goulet and David Wayne was a pre-Broadway tryout.  In fact, one number, featuring birthday cakes, did not make it to NY.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 06:30:45 AM »

In THE HAPPY TIME, one of my future publicity clients (Julie Gregg) replaced the leading actress who did the Los Angeles production when the show went to Broadway.

Does anybody know what Julie Gregg is doing these days?

She was a nice lady, but she seems to have disappeared from the scene.
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 06:31:56 AM »

Good morning, all.

Welcome home, BK.

Vibes for each and every one.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 06:37:35 AM »

Greetings from Toyland!

I am waiting for Joshie to show up and having some breakfast.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 06:37:47 AM »

TOD:

I think my first visual encounter with Kander and Ebb was "Funny Lady," and I fell for the song, "How Lucky Can You Get." The local radio station that Mom listened to played that song every afternoon at the same time, so, even those I didn't like the rest of the music that they played, I always made sure I was in the kitchen to hear that.

A couple of years later, I flipped over the soundtrack for "New York, New York," and played that double disc set to death. In fact, I played it so often that one of my sisters broke one of the albums she had grown to hate it so much. Needless to say, we didn't speak for awhile after that. And she never replaced the album.

Then the rest of Kander and Ebb began to fall into place quickly: Caberet, Zorba, Chicago, Flora. It took a little while to find The Happy Time, which was out of print by then.

I haven't seen many of their shows on stage, but of the few I have, I think Kiss of the Spiderwoman with Chita is one of my favorite theatrical experiences. Though I knew the score by that time, I wasn't familiar with how the story played out and how it differed (for the better, in my opinion) from the movie.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 06:40:41 AM »

Welcome, DR Ryacko!
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 06:41:52 AM »

Welcome to new DR Ryacko!

FJL

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 06:44:36 AM »

Thanks for your comments, John G, vixmom and TCB!

Did I thank you for your email, TCB  if not, thanks  (If so, thanks again.  )

FJL

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 06:47:05 AM »

george - Is there a point to Oprah as Herod?  Is it just for injecting a little humor? (They're not saying she's like Herod, are they?)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up