Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: STRAWBERRY FRAPPE  (Read 6898 times)

Kate

Re: STRAWBERRY FRAPPE
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2013, 07:51:45 AM »

Hello Everyone:

TOD:

I would love a First Edition of "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn".

Francie is the Main Character.  Her Dad is loving and likeable.  Her Mom, strict, Pragmatic and wise.

It shows the need for balance in life.

The tree is a symbol, which grows without water or light,stands for perservance.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2013, 08:04:43 AM »

TOD:

A Shakespeare folio would be nice.  Other than that...I've got the first edition I want of SHE by H. Rider Haggard.  I have two firsts of it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 08:09:56 AM »

Man -- bad cases of crabs on both sides of the Atlantic today!

Or, a surplus of crabs on both sides of the Atlantic today!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 08:10:46 AM »

TOD:  I'd very much love to own a first edition of "A Room With A View".  This story combines my passions for things Italian (revelling in revealing attitudes of tourists who apply their own values to how others live)  and things British (just the state of British-osity is invigorating...in the Honeychurch family and the Vises).  And then there is Charlotte!!  Its characters are fun, the story is well-written and I never tire of it. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 08:13:35 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2013, 08:26:22 AM »

The chaos seems to have calmed down for now. I am getting tired of reminding everyone on the email lists - producer, engineer, and production office to please include the conductor in the correspondence!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2013, 08:38:16 AM »

Whew.  Just paid some ugly bills and dealt with a couple of other ugly things.  Rest of the day should be nicer.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 08:43:54 AM »

No more ugly vibes for DR CHAS SMITH.

Continued settling down vibes for DR ELMORE.

Looking at the lists from yesterday just reminded me how Out of everything but the show I am right now.  That's the only thing on my poor pitiful brain......

First Edition.....didn't Kenny Rogers sing with them?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 09:08:57 AM »

Chas - Are there any other kinds of bills (if they have to be paid anyway)?

FJL

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 09:11:03 AM »

The chaos seems to have calmed down for now. I am getting tired of reminding everyone on the email lists - producer, engineer, and production office to please include the conductor in the correspondence!

That's so strange that that happened.   

Can you ask someone you trust to just forward you everything?

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 09:34:38 AM »

How to make a McDonald's frappé at home:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5FTOuv1Lw
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2013, 09:35:11 AM »

I couldn't get on the Internet from home this morning. I will have to listen to bk's songs tonight.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »

TOD:

I would love to own a first edition of E. M. Forster's novel Maurice.

Also a complete set of firsts of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, but especially the first one, as bk indicates that it is the rarest.

I don't think that's ever gonna happen, though.      :)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »

bad cases of crabs on both sides of the Atlantic today!

I've heard that the treatment for CRABS is CARBS.       :)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 09:46:33 AM »

~ ~ ~ FEEL BETTER PRONTO VIBES ~ ~ ~ for DR John G. and DR ChasSmith!

~ ~ ~ LESS AGITATO VIBES ~ ~ ~ for DR elmore3003!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »

We have unexpected friend's from out of town.

I'll be back tomorrow.   Have a nice day.

ryacko

• Fancy an awkward pause?
    • Robert Yacko's dot com
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2013, 10:16:36 AM »

Good morning, all!

BK, thanks for the kind words on rehearsal. It's great material, and I'm loving working on these songs.

Also, lovely songs of yours today. I especially liked Three Acts. Beautiful.

Off to replace a bum tire. Yes, on my car, thank you.   :D

Michael

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2013, 10:44:32 AM »

Man -- bad cases of crabs on both sides of the Atlantic today!

Or, a surplus of crabs on both sides of the Atlantic today!

I presume you mean the crustaceans.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2013, 10:46:32 AM »

Since I was corrected about the Guttenberg bible. I would like a first edition of L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2013, 10:51:24 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - finally got around nine or maybe even ten hours of blessed sleep.  The phone did wake me up at nine-thirty but I fell right back asleep until the phone woke me up at 10:40.  I think I fell asleep just before one.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2013, 10:54:18 AM »

Interestingly, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is a VERY pricey first edition - it actually really surprised me when I saw what excellent copies were going for - in the 6000 to 8000 range.

A Room With a View - currently no really nice copies available - the ones that are range from about 3500 down.

She - there is one copy available for 23,000 but that copy is in excellent condition and is signed by H. Rider Haggard to his mother - one of a kind.  Otherwise nice copies can be had for under 2,000. 

Maurice, although written at the beginning of the 20th Century wasn't published until 1970 - it's fairly easy to find in first edition and pretty inexpensive.

The oldest Shakespeare available on the ABE is a fourth folio edition from 1695.  It's very reasonable - only $245,000.

If you want to have some fun go to abe.com, click on "advanced search" up on the top left, fill in author name and title, and then tick the box that says first edition (and, if applicable, "dust jacket"), then where it says "lowest price" change to "highest price" and click search.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:05:15 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2013, 11:03:58 AM »

TOD:

Since I'm not a book collector, I would choose the book that would get me the highest price on the open market...whatever that book might be.

::)

Sounds good to me, too. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2013, 11:04:22 AM »

TOD:

I would love to own a first edition of E. M. Forster's novel Maurice.

Also a complete set of firsts of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, but especially the first one, as bk indicates that it is the rarest.

I don't think that's ever gonna happen, though.      :)

That's what I was thinking...an autographed true first edition of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone."  Yeah, that's the ticket!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2013, 11:04:33 AM »

TOD

Guttenberg bible or whatever book he printed first

The Guttenberg Bible was printed in the 15th Century.

This is going to be a horrible day! All hell is breaking loose with the Dublin team; it's all about scheduling, the fact that when artists were booked and flight arrangement were made, we had no conductor, and now schedules are a mess. The people in Dublin are crabby, I'm crabby, and it's going to be an interesting day.

~~~Vibes of All Kinds for Larry and the Dublin Team!!~~~

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2013, 11:09:49 AM »

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - there are currently no copies, signed or unsigned, available.  There is some dealer trying to charge 39,000 for a signed set of firsts of all the books - that's the way it's advertised - until you read the fine print that states the first book is a first edition, third printing.  Dear idiot bookseller: Find a different line of work, you rube.  Once a book goes into another printing it is no longer a first edition, no matter how much you may wish it to be.  A first edition second printing or third printing is worthless to any real book collector.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2013, 11:23:02 AM »

A shot of the rare frappé butterfly:

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »

I had a lovely visit with Anthony, and DSR Ben showed up as a nice surprise. As is par for today, I've been swamped by too many emails from Dublin and New World Records. Dublin's all about orchestra setup and the switchover from full orchestra to the 7-piece stage band for the last recording session. New World's about DEAREST ENEMY artwork. To make matters more complicated, the Man From Philadelphia has entered the situation, and he and New World have contacted Rodgers & Hammerstein for 1925 artwork on the show, and - guess what? - I sent them the original artwork ages ago!

This is one of those "get stinkin' drunk" days!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:27:01 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2013, 11:27:48 AM »

This is one of those "get stinkin' drunk" days!

Frappé, anyone?      ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2013, 11:30:47 AM »

Interesting Cuckoo's Calling doings on eBay - two signed copies sold in the last two days at fairly reasonable prices - one at 2900 one at 2700 - those sellers are probably kicking themselves - both listings ended in the middle of the night here in the US - no one is looking then and that's when you can get the best deals.  Oops.  There are only two signed copies on the ABE, both listed for over 5K - those won't sell at that price, it's too soon.  And the two reasonable copies that just sold on eBay are going to cause other people not to bid what they've been bidding in hopes that it will happen again.  It has come to light that she only signed 250 copies.  So, those will be very rare if she doesn't sign AS Robert Galbraith anymore.  I also think on eBay we're seeing the same signed copies listed over and over again - they sell mostly to dealers who just turn around and list again at a higher price hoping for the best.  The frenzy for signed copies can be traced specifically to this high-end dealer here in LA who was the first to list and GET 4,000 for one.  Other than the two reasonable copies that just sold, it's been holding at around 3300 to 4000.  And a copy of the unsigned first ended middle of the night and that went cheaper than most of the ones that have been selling in the last few days - for around 1100.

My prediction: It's going to stay where it is now, maybe for a while - and then, when she writes her second book, which she says she will, then this will skyrocket much higher.  None of these dealers are going to have that patience, though.

Ginny

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2013, 11:34:03 AM »

TOD - surprisingly, for a librarian, I'm not all that interested in books as collector's items.  Guess that's why I never had a career in the Rare Book Room...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2013, 11:41:39 AM »

An original Edgar Allan Poe would be nice, but I think a lot of his stories were published first in magazines....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up