Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MATCHING DICKIE  (Read 17368 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE MATCHING DICKIE
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2004, 01:58:58 PM »

Truth to tell, we're celebrating my birthday with a broken washing machine!   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2004, 02:00:15 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Tapioca![/size][/move]

(An original Millie reference!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2004, 02:05:40 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY S. WOODY WHITE!

Welcome Joseph/beckon.  Glad you have joined us.  I enjoyed your radio story. :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2004, 02:09:45 PM »

I know I'm VERY late to the party, but Happy Birthday, DR S. Woody!!

I've have been off the internet again all day keeping my telephone line un-busy. I've granted myself an hour to get internet stuff taken care of. I'll be back on tonight at my usual late night hour.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2004, 02:13:12 PM »

Welcome to our new member, DR Joseph!

I have little to say about radio. I listened to next to none of it growing up as the music I wanted to hear, Broadway, wasn't broadcast on a regular basis. Occasionally, a hit song like "Hello, Dolly!" or "People" or "I've Gotta Be Me" would break through, but seldom.

I do have one radio story to relate. Every Sunday night when I was young, my folks would call a local drive-in and order take out for our Sunday supper. Then, I would drive with my dad to go get it. On the way back on Sunday nights around 6 p.m., we'd hear GUNSMOKE on the radio starring William Conrad as Matt Dillon. That is my most vivid radio memory.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2004, 02:17:14 PM »

I love the pics, DR DerB.  Nothing is as terrific as the unrequited love of a dog, or four.  (except possibly a toddler's hand disappearing into your own palm....)  I only learned this late(r) in life.

Now, do the 4 of them, and the two of you, all repose in that (apparently) full-sized bed?  Surely that must make for some interesting snuggling!
Der Brucer and I switched to two beds some time ago.  I toss and turn too much for him.

Usually, Buster is with me through the night, and the other three push der B. out of bed.  Since he rises later than I do, the smaller dogs move over to mine when he gets up, after he gives them their morning biscuits.  Then, when I get up, they're ready for a second breakfast!  (They've got us figured out.)

We're just now getting a summer shower, in spite of sunshine outside.  You would think we were living in Hawaii!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2004, 02:21:05 PM »

E Power Biggs never played a Wurlitzer ;)

der Brucer (half expecting Jay to pull out some obscure 78 of Biggs at Radio City Music Hall's Great Wurlitzer)
No, E. Power Biggs played some of the greatest organs in the world!  He knew how to get a great fanfare out of some of those pipes!

:o :D

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2004, 02:21:36 PM »

I toss and turn too much for him.

I often breathe too loudly (my synonym for snoring) for Dear Partner John, and awake to find him in the guest room.  DD (Dear Dog) Morgan always follows him in there.....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2004, 02:39:57 PM »

Panni's Repairman take a quick dip before work:

(Troy Dumais, foreground, and Justin Dumais compete in the men's 3-meter synchro diving event at the 2004 American Cup diving championship.)

Oops!  They forgot their boots!

Jane

« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2004, 02:41:47 PM »

DerBrucer & SWW.  You can’t beat that morning birthday greeting.  Loved the pics.  :)

Thank you Jennifer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2004, 02:49:56 PM »

I am amazed, simply amazed, that none of the dear readers out there with a penchant for double and triple entendres have used the title of today's notes for any wordplay.

Not a clue. Would you mind elaborating, DR Stuart?

Jane

« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2004, 03:08:27 PM »

Beckon I recall a similar radio show in L.A.  The one I listened to, as I fell asleep each evening, was in the sixties.  

Up until then I just listened to whatever anyone else in the house had on.  I suppose that came from being the youngest in a family of five.  I liked just about everything so it was fine with me.  I listened to the baseball games with my brother, opera & classical with my father and the current hits with my sister.  The musical program was all mine.  By then my sister had moved out of my room & I was free to choose my own stations.

Another favorite was the Loman & Barclay show, on in the mornings.
I Googled Loman & Barclay to find dates on the show.  All I could find was my own posting dated June 24, 2003.  After a bit more research, I of course had misspelled their names, I found they have their own star on Hollywood Blvd.  I also found sad news:

Lohman, Al: Al died October 13, 2002, of bladder cancer. He was 69.

Barkley, Roger: As director of programs at KLAC, Roger hired Al Lohman for the morning show. When the station was sold to Metromedia, the new owners began a search for a two-man morning team. "We figured we were all going to be fired so Al and I thought perhaps we should do the morning show as a team. this way we could buy some time to look for another job." The partnership lasted a quarter of a century. Roger passed away December 21, 1997, after a short battle with cancer. He was 61.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2004, 03:25:22 PM »

WBAI in NYC used to have a terrific show music show (I think it was called "Anything Goes") hosted by Paul Lazarus, who also served as musical director for a few Sondheim evenings, as well as many other things

Paul Lazarus's Sunday afternoon show, Anything Goes, on WBAI, was a favorite of mine, too, and, one year, I won one of his quizzes.  It was devoted to the very best in musical theatre, old and new.  He was the stage director, not the musical director of that Stephen Sondheim evening that introduced so many of us to such marvelous songs as What More Do I Need and There's Something About a War.  In addition to directing many stage musicals, such as Personals, he's directed a whole lot of television.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2004, 03:27:55 PM »

For DW Joy's callback today, she was asked to demonstrate different voices she can do.  So, she decided to sing the wonderful Frank Loesser trio, Been a Long Day, using distinct voices for all the parts.  It was quite hysterical as she rehearsed last night.  Of course, at the actual callback, they no longer wanted to hear this, opting, instead, to hear her sing Jingle Bells.

Jane

« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2004, 03:47:21 PM »

Jingle Bells-for real?

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2004, 03:56:54 PM »

I'm not kidding, Jane.  Although she prepared a brilliantly funny one-person rendition of Been a Long Day, all they wanted to hear was Jingle Bells.  I think she was asked to do the verse and chorus using different voices, but I may be confusing the story with her initial audition.

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2004, 03:57:35 PM »

Happy Birthday S Woody.

Welcome to new DR beckon
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2004, 04:06:37 PM »

I was once asked to sing Happy Birthday at an audition and to do it with the various emotions the director threw at me. ("you're angry... now you're sad... now you're drunk"...etc.). I got the part.

Jane

« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2004, 04:50:44 PM »

If HAPPY BIRTHDAY can do it, why not JINGLE BELLS.

Danise

« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2004, 05:13:36 PM »

Hi all,  

I've typed this on the bus ride home so I may be a little out of date as far as board happenings until I have a chance to catch up on the posts.

First, I guess it is alright to tell you what happened at work yesterday.  It seems that someone was unhappy that they were made to evacuate when the storm didn't hit here so they called in a bomb threat.

How dumb is that?  They don't know how lucky they were that they were safe and what could have happened if the storm had hit.  Duh.

What ticks me off even more is that I had brought my fish back to work and just got him settled back in his tank when we were told to leave the building.  I had to take him back out of his tank and put him back in that little plastic cup and slosh him down about 5 flights of stairs before they decided we really didn't have to leave the building after all.

When I finely got him back into his tank. the poor little thing laid at the bottom of his tank for over a half hour.  Fish can go into shock, you know.

Whoever called in that bomb threat doesn't know how lucky they are that I couldn't get my hands on them.  I would have taught them a thing or two.  I was/am really most put out.   >:(

In the, "I should have listened to myself" department, I finely have some good news on the health front.  Now that I finished the antibiotics, I finely was able to take the decongestant I thought I needed. Guess what?  After 3 weeks of dealing with a stuffed ear, it cleared right up!

My new bi-focal contacts have come in so I will no longer need to wear my glasses when I'm on the computer!  Yay!   What a pain it is to be so blind.  

Speaking of health news, How are you doing, DR Elmore?  I do hope your getting better every moment that goes by.

What a treat it is to pull into my driveway and be greeted by the wonderful smell of all of the four o'clock plants.  I am most pleased that the seeds I had to rebuy and planted in a planter are coming up very nicely. Next year I should have all of the colors I dreamed of having.  

The ones in the planters do not have flowers but will next year.  I am enjoying the lovely pink and yellow flowered ones now.  The only sad part is that I cannot possibly keep all the ones I've planted or the extra seeds.  I'm sad that it is possible that there may be a truly exceptional color that I or anyone else for that matter will see.

White four o'clocks are said to be rare so I planted all ten seeds hoping that a few of them would come up.  So far all ten are doing well.

If anyone would like my extra seeds or the bulb/tuber of the ones I can't keep, please let me know.  I will gladly send them to you.  I guess it's kinda like having puppies to give away.  I would like to see them get a good home.

Speaking of puppies, I did a lot of clean up around the house on Sunday. I had four baths, myself.  How is that possible?, you might ask.  Well, two of them included washing both dogs.  For what ever reason when I give them a bath, they insist on giving me one as well.  I am wet from head to toe by the time I am done.  

Poor B & B!  They thought they were going for a walk but when I went for the hose, they knew they were in for it. Bear flew to the back door and cried like a baby for Mom to let him in.  I think if he could have spoken he would have--"Mama, help me! Niecea is going to do something to me!"  That was so funny. I wish you all could have been there to see it.

I told him Mama was NOT going to save him.  He smelled like dog and needed a bath.   I guess smelling like dog is to be expected.  If he smelled like cat or horse it would be hard to explain to people.

What was funny was when I was finished with Bear, I went to get Brandi and SHE flew to the back door and cried just like Bear.

I wonder what kind of shampoo you use when you wash your animals. I just discovered something called "Mane & Tail".  You can use it on almost any animal--humans included.   Trust me, I know these things.   :)

BTW (That's By The Way in internet lingo), I am happy to report that the story had a happy ending for both B & B.  After they gave me a bath (twice) and I went in and gave myself another bath, I took them for their walk.  

Well,  that’s most if not all of my news.  I have notes and posts to read.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2004, 05:20:00 PM »

Has anyone heard from Elmore? from Robin?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2004, 05:21:25 PM »

I was once asked to sing Happy Birthday at an audition and to do it with the various emotions the director threw at me. ("you're angry... now you're sad... now you're drunk"...etc.). I got the part.

Was this for a role in a musical?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2004, 05:28:03 PM »

Wonderful story about the dog baths, Danise. I gave my first dog a bath using human shampoo in order to save a few bucks. The vet bill for the damage to his skin was pretty substantial. So I always bought shampoo from the vet or a grooming shop after that.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2004, 05:29:30 PM »

Was this for a role in a musical?

No. It was for Lope de Vega's "The Dog in the Manger" at the Theatre Passe Muraille. Directed by Louis del Grande. Who was later responsible for my becoming a writer. This is how I met him -- so it was a very important audition in terms of the direction of my life!

Danise

« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2004, 05:41:05 PM »

Not another Broom reference!

That's a sweeping statement, if I ever heard one!  Did I say that?   :D

I’m afraid I don’t listen to the radio very often.  I used to when I drove to work but listen to my PDA/MP3’s now when I’m on the bus.  I did like this one DJ called Mason Dixon that did a show every Friday at five.  I loved the big Aoooooga horn he played when it was five o’clock and the funny parity songs.  It’s Friday, Friday, Friday!

Shenanigans!  Does anyone remember that game show for kids that used to be on Saturday mornings?

Hello, Joseph!  Always nice to see/meet a new person!

Healing vibes to Bogie!  
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

DearReaderLaura, I had the same thing happen when I tried some kind of flea shampoo on B & B.  It was way to strong and they lost a good deal of hair in a matter of a day.  I remember I rewashed them with Ivory soap because it was the most gentle thing I could think of.  

Of course I also took them to the vet who offered the brilliant advise, “Don’t use that brand of flea shampoo ever again!  Fifty (or however much it was) dollars, please."  

Duh.  I never would have figured that one out by myself.  Isn't it good to know there are experts to advise you on such matters?  ::)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2004, 06:08:23 PM »

Years ago we had a very sick cat, & a large vet bill, from being bathed in Hartz flea shampoo.  I wish it had only been his skin.

Echo is very sensitive.  I use only oatmeal shampoo or, ready Danise, Mane & Tail from Lucky Kentucky.  I have been using this since she was a puppy and have used it on my hair too.  Bogie gets bathed in it as well.  Their conditioner is very nice too.  For touch ups I just put some on my hands and rub it in, then brush.  It helps make Echo smell nice.  

Poor little Beta Fish.  :( I'm glad he survived. :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2004, 06:10:02 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
S..W.W.!!!

WELCOME,
BECKON / JOSEPH!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2004, 06:10:16 PM »

Danise Bogie says thanks for the healing vibes.

I have not heard from elmore.  :(

Danise

« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2004, 06:26:09 PM »

Tell Bogie he is most welcome.  

I fear the decongestant has me a bit tired.  Goodnight all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2004, 06:26:53 PM »

TCB your computer seems to be working very nicely now.  I like your sun smilely.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up