Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MATCHING DICKIE  (Read 17376 times)

Ben

Re:THE MATCHING DICKIE
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2004, 04:36:36 AM »

But, since we're so close, here is the push to Page 2 at 7:38am Eastern Standard Time.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2004, 04:57:54 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]H*A*P*P*Y

B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y

S*W*W

[/move]

beckon

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2004, 05:46:13 AM »

Thank you all for the warm welcomes!

Radio- I was born and raised in Los Angeles.  I remember in the mid-1980s there was a radio show devoted to stage and movie musicals.  It was on AM and broadcast every Sunday morning.  It was quite exciting for me, considering I never thought I would be able to hear musicals on radio!  Boy, the internet has changed things a lot.
As a teenager I also listened to Dr. Demento for a while.
The only other radio programs that I enjoyed were ones from the 30s and 40s that I heard on cassette.  Fibber McGee & Molly, Edgar Bergen and Jack Benny were/are all favorites.
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2004, 06:05:29 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! ! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR S. WOODY WHITE ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2004, 06:12:57 AM »

DR Panni,

When I started working from home, Don Harron was the host of Morningside. Apart from my three dogs, he and his guests were regular companions during those days. I've always had a special attachment for him. When Peter Gzowski returned as host, it was difficult for me to get AM reception - so I associate his program mainly with my mornings in the car. Shelagh Rogers now has the morning spot (called Sounds Like Canada). I've heard her only occasionally, but she continues the CBC tradition of bringing the country together through lively and thoughtful interviews (recently with writer and activist June Callwood, who just turned 80) and her interest in the arts.

td

• td
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2004, 06:16:06 AM »

Mr Dale:  Miss ONJ and friends will be on their way in the morning - hidden track on there 2.

Olivia is coming to the USA !  Wow!  Did you hide the track, Mr. Guest, or did Olivia?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE WOODSTER!

WELCOME NEW DEAR READER BECKON!

I like the Burns & Allen stuff from radio days.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2004, 06:24:02 AM »

DR Beckon,

A big welcome to HHW.

I too listened to musicals on the radio when I grew up in NYC. How long ago? I remember when the host, Lee Jordan, introduced an exciting new song from a show still in pre-Broadway tryouts. Louis Armstrong had recorded the number, which was called "Hello Dolly."

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2004, 06:24:02 AM »

Welcome, DR (Dear Reader) Beckon/Joseph.

From one Leo to another, Happy Birthday SWW.

WBAI in NYC used to have a terrific show music show (I think it was called "Anything Goes") hosted by Paul Lazarus, who also served as musical director for a few Sondheim evenings, as well as many other things.  Even as a spring chicken, I was listening to WNEW-AM, which featured programming such as "The Make Believe Ballroom" with the terrific William B. Williams, and other big band/standards/show tune programming with other DJs, including the less-than-scintillating Jonathan Schwartz.  I also recall, probably when I was in junior high, and still listening to the radio as I fell asleep, that on Sunday nights, this strange woman with an accent would talk about sex.  Of course, she grew up to be Dr. Ruth.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 06:25:27 AM by Stuart »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2004, 06:28:49 AM »

As a child, I listened to a lot of radio.  One of my favorites was a children's show called "Let's Pretend" which was on CBS every Saturday morning sponsored by Cream of Wheat.  Each week they dramatized another fairy tale.  At Christmas every year, of course, was "The Cinnamon Bear" (a show I still listen to a chapter a day for 26 days every Christmas).

I listened to all the other popular children's shows of the day and a lot of the comedy and variety shows at night.  When I was about nine, we got our first television so my radio listening slowed down, but as a teenager I listened to the "Top 40 Stations".  I had a green pre-transistor portable radio (the size of a hard cover book but heavier) and people asked me why I wanted to carry music around with me.  How times have changeed.

By the way, I still listen to radio from the 30s to the 50s on a cassete player in the kitchen when I am cooking.  Many of these shows were old favorites from when I was a kid, others are radio versions of shows that became popular on television and some are shows I had never heard before.  I find these more consistantly entertaining than 95% of what is on prome time television today.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2004, 06:59:39 AM »

Happy Birthday DR S. Woody White!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2004, 07:05:22 AM »

Welcomes to new DR Beckon!

On the radio!
Ohhh-ohhh-ohhh-ohhh-ohhh!
On the radio!

When I was in my early teens, I remember listening almost every day to CBS Mystery Theatre and the Bob & Ray Show on WOR from NYC.  When my sister got her component stereo system with the huge speakers, I was glued to FM radio--I loved the sound seperation and the illusions it could create.  Like our new DR, I listened to Dr Demento on Sunday nights and to a program that presented short plays on Friday nights (Grandma Duck Is Dead is the only play I can remember at the mo'.)

Nowadays, I mostly listen to such shows as Prairie Home Companion, Selected Shorts and whatever is on NPR.  Music-wise, I prefer jazz, alt rock, and classical (though Philly embarassingly has only one decent jazz and classical station--and they are both on the same channel!)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2004, 07:12:07 AM »

I also loved to listen to Bob and Ray. And Nichols and May. And The Romance of Helen Trent.

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2004, 07:19:44 AM »

Welcome to former lurker and new poster DR Beckon!

and a big 'ole happy B'day to S. Woody White!!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2004, 07:25:23 AM »

I didn't start listening to the radio much until I was in junior high (this would be about 1976/77) and then I listened to the regular top 40 stations. On occasion I would come across a station that would play old radio programs such as Jack Benny or Fred Allen, and those were always a lot of fun! Also, my friend David had his dad's short wave radio and we would listen to various programs from around the world.which we thought was very cool!

Now when I tune in the radio it is usually when I am in the car and more then likely it will be an AM station which plays a lot of 1940s and 1950s stuff...Music of Your Life is the program, I believe. I know Les Brown Jr. is one of the DJs.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2004, 07:46:58 AM »

What I am sick of is oldies radio stations.  Philly has a ton of them.  There's supposedly no market for a 24/7 classical station, but each week it seems there is a new one playing the hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.  Gaaagh!
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2004, 07:51:34 AM »

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2004, 07:54:08 AM »

As a teenager I also listened to Dr. Demento for a while.

Dr. Demento fans are very welcome - I need the company :D

der demented Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2004, 07:55:46 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, S. Woody!!![/move]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 07:56:24 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2004, 07:58:27 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SWW!!

HERE'S A BIRTHDAY DANCE FOR YOU....

Wish I could get away with a simple jig-for-the-day.
I must comtemplate the Birthday Dinner.

Hmmm....Mickey D's, Pizza Hut, or splurge on Applebee's?

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2004, 07:59:31 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Welcome, "beckon"!  The more the merrier, I always say!  What do you always say?  :D[/move]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2004, 08:04:25 AM »

DR S. Woody:  Thanks for the insights re: the broom for "der Brucer."

On the surface, it seems to be wholly one thing, but just under that there is a mysterioso that is compelling.

Keep us posted if any UFO sightings ensue,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2004, 08:05:47 AM »

One of the joys of radio for me when I was in my teens and early 20s was listening to WOWO, Fort Wayne....all the way down in Greenville SC!  

It was far away (to me), it was exotic, and it was "happenin'!?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2004, 08:08:35 AM »

So many lovely posts and it's not even 8:15 AM in Kahlifornia! I am waiting for men in boots (but not tights) to come and work on my air conditioning system.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2004, 08:09:04 AM »

What I am sick of is oldies radio stations.  Philly has a ton of them.  There's supposedly no market for a 24/7 classical station, but each week it seems there is a new one playing the hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.  Gaaagh!

I would kill (or maybe just maim a little) for a good 70s station here!! We do have a lot of classic rock stations, which are a bit too rough for my tastes.  I would be quite happy to find a nice easy going 70s station that would play me some disco and little bit of Carpenter's!

We do have at least two very nice classical stations, however, which you would likely very much enjoy!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2004, 08:10:35 AM »

I think der B. wants to take advantage of my having the day off tomorrow...uh, today.  (And I just bought him a new broom he's been asking for!)

Hint for "new transportation" and this is what I get :-\

der Broom-Hilda Brucer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2004, 08:10:59 AM »

Dr. Demento fans are very welcome - I need the company :D

der demented Brucer

"They called him Irving.
Big Irving.
Big, short Irving.
Big, short, fat Irving.
The hundred and forty-second fastest gun in the West."
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2004, 08:13:34 AM »

Thank you for the CBC radio report, Dan-in-TO. One of the few things I miss about living in Canada is CBC radio. The other is the CBC (television) World News at 10 PM.
The other thing I miss is being able to go to all the wonderful Hungarian restaurants and coffee shops in Toronto. (the Coffee Mill... Sigh...)

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2004, 08:14:31 AM »

I so do not want to be at work today! I am restless and just want to sit around the home environment watching movies and reading in the backyard.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2004, 08:19:58 AM »

When I was in my early teens, I remember listening almost every day to CBS Mystery Theatre and the Bob & Ray Show on WOR from NYC.  

Were you not such a youngster you would remember "The Magic Lady Supper Show" (broadcast from Lit Brothers Department Store) - She often had a teen-ager named Eddie Fisher sing.

der Philly-born-and-bred Brucer

Ben

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2004, 08:27:04 AM »

Push, push, push
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up