Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: FREAKS  (Read 14883 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:FREAKS
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2004, 07:25:21 PM »

Enough already about cemetery plots! Depressing!
Let's move on to cremation.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2004, 07:26:51 PM »

My mom and I want to be cremated...but not at the same time. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2004, 07:27:04 PM »

My sister and my dad want to be buried.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #153 on: August 19, 2004, 07:27:16 PM »

The Page Six Danse Macabre!

George

« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2004, 07:27:47 PM »

I was just reading Playbill's bio/obit for Elmer Bernstein and it had something in it that I had never known (among much that I had never known).  It said:

Mr. Bernstein was conductor for one season of the San Fernando Valley Symphony Orchestra. He also helped to found the record label, Varese Sarabande, according to the Internet Movie Database.

Who knew?  Not I.

Gunther

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2004, 07:31:40 PM »

Hi, Dan!  I'm fine, thank you!  My new work schedule keeps me off line way too much.  I read whenever I can.  My latest trip to Toronto was to see one of the last performances of THE PRODUCERS.  Loved it.

Gunther

George

« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2004, 07:34:02 PM »

And now, a completely different Page Six Dance:

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

(I hope that it doesn't cause any trouble for people. :-\ )

François de Paris

« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2004, 07:34:21 PM »

The Page Six Danse Macabre!

Clever! LOL!

George

« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2004, 07:35:05 PM »

Well, I gotta go!  I've been at work for far too long.  Later.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2004, 07:35:40 PM »

Enough already about cemetery plots! Depressing!
Let's move on to cremation.

Then there was the wife who remarried. She kept her first husband's remains in a little urn on the mantel. The current husband was a sweet guy but a little lazy, and every so often, when he couldn't find an ashtray, he'd butt out his cigar in the urn.

One day the wife was dusting, and as she passed the urn she lifted the lid. She did a double take, and then said, "Mmm, I see we're gaining a little weight."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2004, 08:43:30 PM »

Getting back the TOD, I had forgotton to mention Leonard Berstein's Mass.  I never figured out whether it was the ink used in the booklet or what, but there is a particularly church-like smell that eminates from the box.  

Hmmm...I just sniffed at my Mass, and the scent still lingers.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 08:52:52 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2004, 08:55:28 PM »

I leave for a few hours to watch Arthur and play my Harry Potter game, and while I'm gone, you talk about cemetery plots and cremation?

What does a church smell like, Dan?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2004, 08:56:29 PM »

What does a church smell like, Dan?

Holy.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2004, 08:57:52 PM »

An unqualified rave for WHAT IF? from the Tolucan Times Aug. 18:

....from Night Lights
by Pat Taylor

What If? (A musical revue) – This is a whacky, campy, musical romp, offering clever parodies of famous composers show tunes, laced with some fab original songs by an impressive lineup of cabaret/musical theatre songwriters (too many to list). An entertaining, tongue-in-cheek, theme-less, audience-pleasing delight. And what an audience it was opening night! Carl and Estelle Reiner, Jack Klugman, Mel Brooks, Phil Crosby Jr., Richard M. Sherman, Gregg Marx, Jason Grae, George Furth, and a splendid list of recognizable notables were present. Everyone had a ball, including the paparazzi! A series of humorous song switcharoos are performed, such as “What If?” Stephen Sondheim had written Bye Bye Birdie, or Rodgers and Hammerstein had written Assassins. You get the idea? Those who really know their show tunes will best “get” the concept, but even if you don’t, this show is a ton of fun! Under the fun lovin’, lively, fast-paced direction of Bruce Kimmel, a talented and fresh cast of five, wow us! Let me name them, and mention my favorite moments from each one. Paul Haber, (terrific!) touched our hearts singing, “Millions of Men,” written by Schmidt/Jones. Tammy Minoff, (a bundle of personality!) was precious, singing “Simply” by Kimmel. Alet Taylor, (what a voice!) captivated us, singing “When You’re Waiting for Love” also written by Kimmel. (This one should be the “single’s” National anthem.) Ryan Rafferty, (a riot!) was memorable singing “I Don’t Need You” by Holmes. Susanne Blakeslee, (an all round vivacious and compelling performer!) brought the house down with Billy Barnes tune, “A Little Lift,” spoofing cosmetic surgery. Flairful costuming by Amy Adams, set by Melissa Ficociello, sound by Brandon Baruch and lighting by Steve Pope round out the kudos. Running through September 18 at the Hudson Theatre – (Main stage) 6539 Santa Monica Blvd. in Hollywood. For seats/times, call (323) 960-7784.

Panni

« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2004, 09:29:04 PM »

From the LA Weekly review [edited]...
WHAT IF? A MUSICAL REVUE
Director Bruce Kimmel and his extraordinary cast have created what could become a hugely successful franchise on the order of Forbidden Broadway. The title’s query is followed by a series of preposterous answers to such musings as, “What if instead of writing Fiddler on the Roof Bock and Harnick had written A Chorus Line?” This is some of the finest musical theater parody I’ve seen. Kimmel’s outlandish lyrics, mocking Broadway’s best, aggressively converge with some of the most popular music of Sondheim, Rodgers, Bernstein, Loesser and more — creating almost shockingly funny moments. Beyond Kimmel’s very clever conceit are the performances of five performers who seem to breathe musical theater in their perfect mimicry of Broadway singing and dancing — the latter helped tremendously by choreographers Cheryl Baxter and Joseph R. McKee, who’ve probably seen far too much Jerome Robbins. ....He then says something with which I respectfully and totally disagree, so I'm leaving it out - but then winds up with  ....we may well see a long run here, in New York and points in between. Ellafrankie Productions at the Hudson Mainstage Theater, 6539 Santa Monica Blvd., Hlywd.; Thurs.-Sat., 8 p.m.; thru Sept. 18. (323) 960-7784. Written 08/19/2004 (Tom Provenzano)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 11:18:11 PM by Panni »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2004, 09:50:52 PM »

S. Woody and DerBrucer, I am so sorry to hear the news about Kelsey. I know he had a wonderful life with you and you were blessed to have him in your lives. My thoughts will be with Marty, also.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

« Reply #166 on: August 19, 2004, 10:47:30 PM »

A message from fun lovin' fast-paced bk:

The notes will go up late tonight. He's having a post show snack with Miss Tammy Minoff and her brother and other interesting folk.

beckon

« Reply #167 on: August 19, 2004, 11:27:25 PM »

Continuing DR Panni's thread of What If reviews...

In Backstage West, Wenzel Jones gives the show an extremely positive review.  Its not perfect, but then again Jones is infamous in the LA theatre community as hating just about everything and being very nasty about it.
Think of a west coast version of John Simon !
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2004, 11:45:41 PM »

Heartfelt condolences to the S. Woody White/Der Brucer household.  
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2004, 11:50:18 PM »

The Dear Mother and I recently purchased adjacent pieces of 20 square foot property.  The area of the cemetery where the plots are located was still being developed when we purchased them, and the Dear Mother has expressed a desire to check and see how the "neighborhood" is progressing.

By the way (BTW, in internet lingo), we'll have an eternal view of The Walt Disney Company headquarters from our final resting spots.  Isn't that swell?  Isn't that too too?

Jay

« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2004, 11:51:41 PM »

DR Panni,

Your story reminds me of this one.

A gentleman is visiting his wife's grave, and from nearby he hears a man sobbing uncontrollably.

"Oh why did you die?" the man cries. "Why, why, why, why did you die?"

This goes on for some time, and finally the first man walks over to the mourner. "I'm so sorry for your loss, he says. "I've never heard such grief in my life. This person must have been very, very dear to you."

"Never met the guy in my life," the man responds.

"Really? Then who is buried here?"

"My wife's first husband," he answers.

I have to tell you, Dear Reader Dan-in-Toronto:  jokes like this absolutely slay me.  Thanks for the guffaw.

Jay

« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2004, 11:53:44 PM »

And now, a completely different Page Six Dance:

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

(I hope that it doesn't cause any trouble for people. :-\ )

We don't tolerate puffinphobia at HHW.com!  If it troubles them, let them find another site!

Jay

« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2004, 11:55:06 PM »

Getting back the TOD, I had forgotton to mention Leonard Berstein's Mass.  I never figured out whether it was the ink used in the booklet or what, but there is a particularly church-like smell that eminates from the box.  

Hmmm...I just sniffed at my Mass, and the scent still lingers.

Funny you should mention.  See my post in tomorrow's discussion and you'll see why!

Jay

« Reply #173 on: August 20, 2004, 12:10:35 AM »

The friend who is staying with me should win the World's Greatest Houseguest award.  He's got an interim job here in L.A. that keeps him busy in the evening several nights a week so we're not constantly underfoot with each other, he keeps the guestroom neat (he makes his bed every day!), he's quiet, he helps me look after Roller and Blackjack, he does his laundry when I'm not around so there's no conflict over the washer/dryer and--though he probably thinks I haven't noticed--he waits for me to be done on the computer before he hooks into the second phone line in the house.  All that and he's really pleasant company, too!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2004, 12:20:50 AM »

Mr. Bernstein may have done many many wonderful things in his illustrious career, but helping start Varese Sarabande wasn't one of them.  If I may toot my OWN horn, I helped start Varese and was responsible for getting them into soundtracks.  I was offered a third of the company for a ridiculously low amount of money and I said no because at the time I didn't have those kinds of funds to play with, what with a growing eight year old daughter and a new house.  What a mistake.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up