Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FREAKS  (Read 15115 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:FREAKS
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2004, 01:28:54 PM »

Can anyone identify this photo?

The first thing I thought of was Dance A Little Closer, but the guy is alone.  It looks like a Sinatra kind of guy, with a press pass in his hat.  Any significance about his dancing over Japan?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2004, 01:29:04 PM »

That's funny, brother dearest.  I don't recall seeing you at Korvette's the day I had mine signed.....   ;)

I dressed incognito (huge fly-eye sunglasses, big kerchief--think Jackie O. on a stroll in Central Park) to ward off the paparazzi that day.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2004, 01:29:39 PM »

It resembles Guy Haines.  It has his facial features.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jay

« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2004, 01:31:07 PM »

I'm not sure I understand--exactly what kind of power does Dairy Queen wield over the Olympics?  As far as I know, they are not even a sponsor.

I thought he was talking about some crazed drag queen who was hungry for some extra-special bling bling.

Jay

« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2004, 01:34:45 PM »

It's the music video, suppressed until now, that Paula Abdul did for MTV to a rock version of "It's A Small World."
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 01:36:15 PM by Jay »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2004, 01:35:45 PM »

Here's the top half of that LP that I prize so much. After all these years of having scanners, I've never been able to stitch two scans together to make a single picture. I know my softwarer should be able to do it, but how is beyond me. (But I'm going to search for some help so at some point I will one day be able to do this.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2004, 01:36:23 PM »

It's the video, surpressed until now, that Paula Abdul did for MTV to a rock version of "It's A Small World."

:o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2004, 01:38:03 PM »

By the way....DR Jennifer is totally correct about my Olympics info regarding a disqualification being a spoiler.

If I spoiled it too badly for anyone, I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 01:43:53 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2004, 01:38:58 PM »

Here's the top half of that LP that I prize so much. After all these years of having scanners, I've never been able to stitch two scans together to make a single picture. I know my softwarer should be able to do it, but how is beyond me. (But I'm going to search for some help so at some point I will one day be able to do this.

Matt, I do this, but I have to scan my albums at least FOUR times and manually patch them together.  I think I do a pretty darned good job of it, if I do say so myself...which I just did. ;) There have been a few where I've had to scan as many as six or seven times on each side to make it all look good.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 01:39:59 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2004, 01:40:15 PM »

By the way....DR Jennifer is totally correct about my info being a spoiler.

If I spoiled it too badly for anyone, I'm sorry.

Oh, please. No names were mentioned, and there is more than one famous name taking part in the swimming today. And frankly, when I logged onto AOL a few minutes ago, the story was staring me in the face.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2004, 01:59:18 PM »

Hainsies/Kimlets - not ONE of you can identify that photo?  Skammen - I tell everyone that any question regarding films and stage can be answered here.  Do the research, find the answer.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2004, 02:01:37 PM »

It looks like it's from one of the production numbers in Absolute Beginners to me.  Or Moulin Rouge.  Or Absolute Rouge.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2004, 02:03:36 PM »

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/theatre/features/story.jsp?story=549624

I never post links because I'm not sure how.  So consider the above a test.  It's about musical theatre.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2004, 02:05:41 PM »

Wow.  That seems to have worked.

I, for one, love Golden Boy - consider it Charles Strouse's finest work.  But I only know the LP version.

Michael

« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2004, 02:07:24 PM »

Not at home, but at work. Yes indeed Coco had two different LP releases. The CD uses the 2nd release. When I get home I will post the differences.
Never stop dreaming.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2004, 02:24:00 PM »

Noel, as was posted up a bit, Golden Boy, like these others we've been talking about, actually had two LP releases.  I can't remember which is the first and which is the second, but one of them has the show logo on the cover (and is the gatefold, IIRC), while the second has the drawing of Sammy on the cover.  BK can probably verify, but I believe the CD reproduces the second LP, with the retakes on the lead vocals.  What is it with these uppity actors who need to retake their vocals?  :o (That's an inside joke for Noel).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2004, 03:13:29 PM »

PRICK UP YOUR EARS looks quite good on DVD and sounds good, too. I saw a grainy, faded print at a revival theater some years back, so this DVD is the best I've ever seen it look or sound. It's widescreen and enhanced for 16 X 9s (the flip side has a full frame version.)

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2004, 03:18:21 PM »

Ah, the LP I'm so fond of has an abstracted picture of a boxer, not someone recognizable as Sammy Davis Jr.

MBarnum

« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2004, 03:20:58 PM »

I seem to recollect that a couple of DRs (along with myself) were fans of short lived tv series GREG THE BUNNY...so I am happy to announce that  is coming to DVD very soon! Hurray!

MBarnum

« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2004, 03:24:19 PM »

Also  I am happy to report that I have gotten both Laurie (Attack of the Puppet People) Mitchell and Cal (Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter) booked for the October Hollywood memorablia show to be held in Burbank California (no more Beverly  Garland Hotel)!! And once more I am going to attend!! So if any DRs are in the area stop in and visit me at Laurie and Cal's tables!!

Also in attendance will be Ms. Mamie Van Doren, Ms. June Wilkinson, Mr. Ty Hardin, Mr. Reb Brown, Mr. Mark Goddard and Ms. June Lockhart, among many others!!

td

• td
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2004, 03:42:50 PM »

Did BK or Guy Haines get their dvd of THE APPLE?  The photo looks almost like an out take from that glorious musical.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Emily

« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2004, 04:06:51 PM »

I think my toe is infected.

Can I get a communal "ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww" (à la Kate Monster) from the Hainsies and Kimlets?

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2004, 04:10:13 PM »

Ah,  So.  The mystery of the photo is not something you were hoping to learn, eh, BK?  You know the answer and are posing a challenge?

Is it an album cover for an LP?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 04:22:44 PM by RLP »

François de Paris

« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2004, 04:10:19 PM »

In memory of dear reader Dennis, I would like to repeat his last post to this site!
 November 15, 2003

"I have about 400 cast albums and some that are on LP.
Living in a 500 sq ft one bedroom apt with all of this isn't easy.  I moved here over 5 years ago and it is still in boxes.
I started collecting theatre programs in 1959.  I have just about every road company and every Playbill from every show I saw in New York in my collection.  I envy BK keeping his ticket to "Follies".  I didn't do that but I do have the program.
I have collected Theatre World over the years and finally have the complete collection of close to 60 years. When times get hard I toy with the idea of putting them on Ebay but I just can't part with them.
I also have 8X10's of various celebrities all of them autographed.  I have a picture and letter from Vivien Leigh.  I suspect she only signed the letter but hey...
I also have a letter from an actor by the name of Edmund Gaynes.  I had sent him a fan letter and he responded with a two or 3 page  letter. I believe in the 80's he was directing a few TV shows.
I also have a plethora of plays and theatre books.
One of these days I will have to clean house but until then....."

« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 04:15:29 PM by François de Paris »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2004, 04:48:23 PM »

DR EMILY wear looser shoes!

BEST VIBES to MBARNUM'S family members from Indiana!

MR BK - I think that might be David Bowie in a number from ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2004, 04:49:13 PM »

LOL:  I see.  Okay.  Of course, I wouldn't have gone looking if mention hadn't been made about a disqualification.

That's a spoiler, too, non?  : )

Oh, I didn't realize you had gone looking for the information.  For some reason I thought you had watched it or heard about it on your own.

I suppose it could be considered a spoiler.  But since I didn't say what sport, or who, or how the situation was resolved, I think it was vague enough.

Btw, the disqualification I am VERY upset about is the Canadian rowers.  They are awaiting the verdict about whether they will be allowed to compete in the finals.  It's heartbreaking to watch them talk about how much of their lives they've given up to do the sport.

(they were disqualified for going into another team's lane in the last second).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2004, 04:49:25 PM »

No, I was asked what it was from and I need to provide an answer.  I've never seen Absolute Beginners - does anyone have it and, if so, can someone check it.  It would make sense as it looks like a newer film and it's scope.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2004, 04:49:54 PM »

I bought an Audiotronics Record Player ( 8-D ) - on EBAY for about $50 including handling and it plays my LPS very well!  There are usually a lot of them on there.

I will next post a photo of my favorite LP not on CD.  I thought about it all day, had to work a LOT and didn't have time to post.  

But as soon as I find a photo....it will be HERE.....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2004, 04:49:55 PM »

I'll be on my way to the theater shortly - we simply must keep the home fries burning.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2004, 04:51:37 PM »

Here it is from 1968 on Tower Records....the soundtrack for

WILD IN THE STREETS!  featuring Max Frost!   ;D

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up