Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ABBREVIATED NOTES  (Read 28319 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE ABBREVIATED NOTES
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2004, 09:26:55 AM »

I cannot say I have.

I will say that there were sections of music I heard last night that had to have been cut from Candide and West Side Story that Lenny pulled out of his trunk and dropped into Mass.
Oh, what the heck, let's get catty.

From what I've heard, Lenny himself had to be pulled out of San Francisco to finish the Mass score, as he'd gone there to work on a revival of Candide, and been thoroughly distracted in either the Castro or South of Market!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2004, 09:27:24 AM »

DR Jennifer, I am actually quite happy, also, about the new HOH! And I am hoping the twins go up, too!

I have to disagree, however, with RLP's assesment that the previous HOH was bigoted or racist. I really do not thing anything of that sort was going on....I just think Adria really thought of those two as being threats (and they definately were).

Of course I could be wrong!

I'm not happy with the new HOH cause I don't want the twins to go.

I know why DR RLP made the racist comment (since she said the bible guided her and she nominated the black and the gay).  But I agree with you DR MBarnum.  Marvin had no alliance yet was a threat.  And Will/Karen/Jen needed to be stopped.  I really haven't seen any evidence of racism, except maybe in the case of Cowboy.

I was wanting Diane to win the HOH so that I could see which way she would go (since she has been playing both sides).

I think that Diane is full of crap though telling jen/karen how mad she is at drew for voting to evict will.  She knew full well that nat/cowboy/drew were gonna vote out will.  But Diane wanted ADRIA to have to make the decision.  And this way Diane can say she stuck with the karen/jen alliance.

I hate when people play both sides while giving away info to each side.  That is just tacky!

I cannot wait till Will realizes that it was DIANE who told Adria to nominate him.  I think he's probably going to the sequester house.  But when Adria told Will that someone in the group (diane/jen/karen) had made the decision, he DIDN'T believe her.

Say what you want about Adria, but she hasn't lied.

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2004, 09:30:34 AM »

Okay spill it DRs RLP, MBarnum, and Stuart (and anyone else who watches BB).

Who are you voting for in the America's Choice?

If I knew there was someone who actually really wanted to do it, I would vote for them.

Jennifer, just excited that she can actually vote in a US based reality show contest.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2004, 09:37:32 AM »

I'll let someone else post a dance.

Thanks to all for the helpful posts, from yesterday and today.  Der B. has found a pic of Kelsey and me, which he may post later.

As for the chihuahua bite, it's healing nicely already.  Bonnie has been washing it for him.

Marty is fine, as are Buster and Bonnie.  Little Mikey decided to cuddle with me last night, not his usual sleeping arrangement.

TOD: Heartfelt thanks to George, for sending us a fresh Weird Romance CD.  It sounds great.

Also in the CD stack are a couple of discs by Judy Holliday: Trouble is a Man and Holiday with Mulligan.  We'll be listening to those later today, on our way to Dover for shopping and then to visit with the grandlads.

Der B has been hiding something from me: he already bought the direct-to-DVD Disney Three Musketeers.  How he expects me to keep our DVD database up to date if he doesn't tell me these things...

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2004, 09:44:37 AM »

Re: that disqualification yesterday at the Olympics

Do any of you who follow the Olympics think that the athlete being American had anything to do with the DQ being reversed?
From what I heard, the disqualification was not presented properly (i.e., not written in the proper language, and stated in vague terms rather than specifics).

Given the added problems of nationalism, the disqualification itself was probably less than Kosher.

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2004, 09:49:26 AM »

DR Jennifer, I haven't decided who to vote for on America's Choice. I am with you in that I would vote for someone who really wanted to do it...someone who maybe wants to make acting a career.

But since I don't know who, I am thinking maybe Drew would be a good choice. He looks the most like a soap actor and would fit in nicely I think. Anyway, it should be fun for whomever wins it.

By the way, I am starting to like Marvin more and more. I agree that Adria seems fairly up-front, but I do believe she lied to Will in that she told him she would not vote him out...at lest that is what Will said last night after being evicted.

So of those left, the ones I would be happy seeing win are Cowboy, Marvin, Karen or Drew.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2004, 09:53:54 AM »

I know why DR RLP made the racist comment (since she said the bible guided her and she nominated the black and the gay).  

Say what you want about Adria, but she hasn't lied.

Re: racist/bigoted -- exactly.  Adria told both Marvin and Will that she prayed and she was given an answer in a dream that they should be nominated.  That one was gay and one was black has EVERYthing to do with the message she "purportedly" received via divine prayer.  Will and Marvin were not deceived.  I pray few others were, as well.

As for Adria:  Sorry, Jen, but I have to disagree with you on the lying.  She made a pact with Will.  By nominating him, she absolutely LIED.  Breaking a pact means she lied at some point.  I think she lied about why she put the two of them up.  I know she was lying when she was trying to get each of them to beg her to save them and saying she'd use the veto on whichever one talked to her.

She's done nothing but lie, deceive and backstab.

Will was probably the best ally the twins ever had or will have had in the house.  Diane is deceit.  Drew is a waste of breath.  Cowboy seems to be a joke, at best, but will probably be in the final two.

My hope is that Marvin survives and takes it all.  Even jurors who will have wanted him out would vote for him out of guilt for having put him on the block so many times.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2004, 09:57:30 AM »

DR Jennifer, I haven't decided who to vote for on America's Choice. I am with you in that I would vote for someone who really wanted to do it...someone who maybe wants to make acting a career.

But since I don't know who, I am thinking maybe Drew would be a good choice. He looks the most like a soap actor and would fit in nicely I think. Anyway, it should be fun for whomever wins it.

By the way, I am starting to like Marvin more and more. I agree that Adria seems fairly up-front, but I do believe she lied to Will in that she told him she would not vote him out...at lest that is what Will said last night after being evicted.

So of those left, the ones I would be happy seeing win are Cowboy, Marvin, Karen or Drew.

I urge you strongly to vote for Marvin.  Drew and Diane have been quoted (at the Canoe site) as saying only they would get any real votes because only they have soap qualities.  Diane was particularly cruel in her dismissal of Marvin and she thinks Cowboy would be a joke.  Cowboy, on the other hand, believes himself to be a shoo-in.  He think he's America's favorite!  Go figure.

I think Marvin would be a kick...and a HUGE SLAP IN THE FACE to those who have exhibited prejudices against him, for whatever reasons they've stated.

Big Brother called Drew into the confession room and when he came back, he told Diane they really chewed him out over talking about the America's Choice reward.  I'm guessing they're not supposed to talk about it????  If that were the case, they should never have been told about it until the voting was over.  Meanwhile, that's all any of them are talking about.  Drew and Diane have been secretly dismissive of everyone but themselves regarding the competition.  Diane believes Big Brother will ignore vote that doesn't give the reward to one of the two of them.  

They're both really sick puppies, IMO!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 02:27:01 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2004, 10:07:29 AM »

Re:  Mass/Marin Alsop/Sheet music stores:  Wow!  I can respond to three comments with one anecdote.  I have performed under Marin's baton (no mean feat).  She was a lovely person, but I found her difficult to follow.  I think I have mentioned this story before (stop me if I have....TOO LATE), but one of my favorite moments in a sheet music store with an idiot clerk devolved something like this:

Moi:  Do you have 'A Simple Song' from Bernstein's Mass?

Clerk:  We might.  What's it called?

(Think about it for a moment--hilarity will ensue.  Saying it out loud might help).

Re:  sticking keys.  Those are, indeed bad, but I think this may be worse (and this involves Bernstein, too).  I was playing a Democratic Party fundraiser wherein we were parodying West Side Story.  The piano lamp went out half-way through Act I, and the tech crew had forgotten to place a replacement bulb on the piano!  I therefore had to play West Side Story from memory (with the many cuts/changes we had made to incorporate parody lyrics) in total darkness for about half an hour.  One of my worst nightmares as a Music Director.

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2004, 10:22:17 AM »

I'm not happy with the new HOH cause I don't want the twins to go.

I could not disagree with you more, DR Jennifer.  They both have got to go, and Jennifer knows it.

What I really mind is when people who you  have come to know and like (as best you can on a reality show) turn out to be just showing a facade, and are actually the diametric opposite of what you have come to believe.

Her nomination of Will and Marvin was blatant bigotry.  And pretty small minded.

I don't know that I will vote for anyone in the America's Choice poll.  I rarely do those sorts of things, even when I do tune into American Idol.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2004, 10:23:01 AM »

If I did vote for anyone at all for America's Choice, it would be Karen.  I LOVE Karen.

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2004, 10:23:02 AM »

JMK, have you heard anything from Ann or Jed regarding Saturday's HHW Hootennany?

Jane and I are not sure what time to arrive (or what to bring)

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2004, 10:23:57 AM »

If I did vote for anyone at all for America's Choice, it would be Karen.  I LOVE Karen.

I love Karen too!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2004, 10:23:57 AM »

Well, when you see the front cover of the DVD case, you will see that it is quite "exotic"! ;D  (that is if you consider handsome foreign men in skimpy swimwear, exotic).

I know this brother does......

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2004, 10:25:06 AM »

Oh, what the heck, let's get catty.

From what I've heard, Lenny himself had to be pulled out of San Francisco to finish the Mass score, as he'd gone there to work on a revival of Candide, and been thoroughly distracted in either the Castro or South of Market!

Oh, gosh--that completely demolishes my visions of Bernstein relentlessly and somberly working at the piano, taking occasional, tearful glances at a framed photo of JKF, as he composed Mass.  Another cherished myth shattered.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2004, 10:27:43 AM »

The thing I found totally odd was how quickly the decision was overturned. I have never seen something happen so quickly.

Don't forget the tape delay.  The actual time between the posting of the DQ and the resolution was about thirty minutes.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2004, 10:37:57 AM »

JMK, have you heard anything from Ann or Jed regarding Saturday's HHW Hootennany?

I never thought of that...should I bring something??  And Ann e-mailed me that she won't be able to come. :'( I e-mailed that info to JMK.  I should have spread the word to the rest of you.  Sorry about that. ::)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 10:39:21 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2004, 10:47:31 AM »

Cameras!  Bring cameras!  We're all waiting with eager anticipation to see photos from the Pacific Northwest convergence of Hainsies and Kimlets!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2004, 10:49:09 AM »

Just bring yourselves.  No one has verified times with me.  It really doesn't matter.  George is coming before AR and I would assume again after.  You all are welcome anytime.  Just call us (phone number was in email) to let us know you're on the way.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2004, 10:59:25 AM »

I agree that Adria seems fairly up-front, but I do believe she lied to Will in that she told him she would not vote him out...at lest that is what Will said last night after being evicted.

How come nobody has asked if maybe Natalie  made the pinky swear. :)

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2004, 11:00:22 AM »

No Ann and no TCB! Well!

DR Jane should be on her Greyhound bus to Portland right now!

George what time do you figure you will be back at JMKs?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2004, 11:00:27 AM »

DR SWW and DerBrucer and the rest of your "family" - My condolences.  It's very nice and heartening to know that Kelsey was loved and is still loved.

And he, Kelsey, was quite the kisser:

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2004, 11:04:34 AM »

Don't forget the tape delay.  The actual time between the posting of the DQ and the resolution was about thirty minutes.

Are you sure about that?  The french station here shows all events live.  And I believe the resolution was much quicker than that.  Although perhaps you are right.

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2004, 11:12:04 AM »

Earlier I wrote:
I know why DR RLP made the racist comment (since she said the bible guided her and she nominated the black and the gay).  

Just to clarify for those who don't watch Big Brother.

I was not saying that DR RLP made a racist comment himself.

I was saying that he brought up that someone on BB was racist, (hence the "DR RLP made the racist comment").

I'm pretty sure DR RLP knew what I meant.  But I just wanted to clarify for anyone else.

Oh and btw,  I really don't like Karen.  I'm wondering if those who don't read the day to day of the show like her more?

And sorry DR RLP, but I really don't like Marvin.  I think it's great that he cooks.  And I appreciate that he speaks his mind.  But I don't really like how he talks about the women.  

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2004, 11:19:56 AM »

Her nomination of Will and Marvin was blatant bigotry.  And pretty small minded.

I'm really surprised that people would say this.  Has Adria ever shown that she didn't like black or gay people.

It's funny but I don't see people as black or gay.

Marvin has been nominated the last 3 weeks.  Have all the HOHs been racist?

And I don't see how people think Will was nominated for being gay.  Adria trusts Cowboy.  And the ONLY other people to nominate were drew/diane (who are were in her alliance) and will/karen/jen.

Even Diane told Adria she had to break up the will/karen/jen alliance.

And since adria didn't think Karen could take being nominated.  And since Will is the mastermind behind Girl Power, I believe Adria made a strategic decision.

The ONLY thing I can think of that might prove the racism point is that she said that the bible helped her make the noms.

But I really think that people are misinterpreting that.

I don't think that her dream told her to nominate the black and gay people.  I think that Adria said that the bible guides her in all her decisions.  But I think that she made strategic choices.

IMO her biggest mistake was not who she nominated. It was not talking things thru with Girl Power before making the noms.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2004, 11:27:38 AM »

Are you sure about that?  The french station here shows all events live.  And I believe the resolution was much quicker than that.  Although perhaps you are right.

Actually, I forgot that you can see the events live.  I was thinking that you were referring to the NBC broadcast last night in which the entire episode was edited to only about four or five minutes.  But I just double checked a news story through Google and it did say that it took about a half hour for Aaron Peirsol to be declared the winner.

Okay, I just came across another story that says:

"In the men's 200-meter backstroke final, the USA's Aaron Peirsol easily beat his competitors. But as he was waving to the crowd, making his way toward a row of television cameras, he saw the scoreboard list the second-place finisher as the winner. The reason: Peirsol had been disqualified for an illegal turn.

Peirsol weaved in a daze toward the warm-down pool, muttering "it seems bogus to me" as he passed a group of reporters. His mom, sobbing into a tissue, soon followed. Within minutes, the disqualification was overturned and mom was crying tears of joy."

So I have no idea what really happened.  I'll take your word for it since you were watching it live, Jen.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 11:38:49 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2004, 11:44:58 AM »

How come nobody has asked if maybe Natalie  made the pinky swear. :)

Because Will made it a point, after Natalie entered the house, of verifying which of them had which conversations with him at different times.

Of all the people in the house, it is Will who would have a grasp on which twin did what at which time before Natalie was brought in.

As for Adria:  Her comment about the Lord showing her who to nominate was blatant.

As for alliances, she was in an alliance with Will, not with Karen or Drew.  Drew and Cowboy were the logical ones to nominate, but Adria showed her colors and stabbed Will in the back.

As for the mastermind behind girl power, you're overlooking the real talent:  Jennifer/Nakomis.  She was the mastermind behind the plot to evict Jase.  It was her plan, incorrectly attributed to Will at some point on the Canoe site, but cleared up on a telecast after Jase was thrown out.

Diane is a lowlife skunk.  Why Adria listened to her about evicting Will floors me...but Diane's motive may have been that she didn't like feeling threatened by Will...and that threat was Drew's friendship with Will, which I think threatened Diane's womanhood.  

I don't know whether to believe her change of heart now or not...but I think Drew voting for Will was his way of appeasing any suspicion she might have had.  Everyone thinks Drew is mindless and whipped...and I think Diane worried that Drew might be manipulated by Will in some way she couldn't counteract.

Mind you, it's just a theory I've concocted.  But I stand by my assertion that Adria violated her alliance with Will and that she was bigoted in her nominations of Will and Marvin.

It all boils down to "gut" -- mine tells me one thing, and yours tells you another.  We may both be wrong...or not...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 11:52:46 AM by RLP »

MBarnum

« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2004, 11:46:55 AM »

I'm really surprised that people would say this.  Has Adria ever shown that she didn't like black or gay people.

It's funny but I don't see people as black or gay.

Marvin has been nominated the last 3 weeks.  Have all the HOHs been racist?

And I don't see how people think Will was nominated for being gay.  Adria trusts Cowboy.  And the ONLY other people to nominate were drew/diane (who are were in her alliance) and will/karen/jen.

Even Diane told Adria she had to break up the will/karen/jen alliance.

And since adria didn't think Karen could take being nominated.  And since Will is the mastermind behind Girl Power, I believe Adria made a strategic decision.

The ONLY thing I can think of that might prove the racism point is that she said that the bible helped her make the noms.

But I really think that people are misinterpreting that.

I don't think that her dream told her to nominate the black and gay people.  I think that Adria said that the bible guides her in all her decisions.  But I think that she made strategic choices.

IMO her biggest mistake was not who she nominated. It was not talking things thru with Girl Power before making the noms.

I concur with DR Jennifer!
I saw no evidence of any prejudice on Adria's part. Now that doesn't mean that Adria isn't prejudiced, she might be, but I have seen no evidence of it myself on the show. JMHO.

Now, Adria's belief that God is helping her to win the game, and no one else but her, leads me to question her sanity! Why would God like Adria more then any of the others in the house? In fact, if God exists, I would hope he had higher priorities right now then helping Adria win Big Brother! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2004, 11:49:24 AM »

I still can't tell which one is Natalie and which one is Adria...although I think Adria is the one who is more prone to look like she is about to burst into tears at any given moment...or is that Natalie...I don't know anymore! LOL!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2004, 12:07:33 PM »

Pogue,here.  We're computer testing again.  Hopefuly, we've got it beat this time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up