Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: AT LONG LAST LI'L ABNER  (Read 4824 times)

ChasSmith

Re: AT LONG LAST LI'L ABNER
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2013, 01:46:26 PM »

Page THREE! (But at 4:45 p.m. eastern?)

ChasSmith

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »

Going to see the local NUTCRACKER tonight.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2013, 01:52:49 PM »

This was posted on FB (so it MUST be posted here, too), our very own Elmore is mentioned in an article on Playbill.com!  On Page 3 of THIS article, it says this:

On the printed music front, here's something extra special. At last month's Columbia University celebration of the Centennial of composer Jerome Moross, I discovered that Alfred Music published a complete vocal score of The Golden Apple several years back. I quickly got myself a copy and have spent the last week at the keyboard in Olympian splendor. (Mt. Olympus in Washington State, that is.) The Golden Apple, in case it has passed you by, is a one-of-a-kind musical comedy by Moross (1913-83) and John Latouche (1914-56), resetting the Odyssey in Washington circa 1900; Odysseus and his men are just home from the Spanish-American War. ("Oh Theodore/Oh Theodore/the Roosevelt that we adore" sing the soldiers, in six-part harmony.)

The show opened at the Phoenix Theatre in 1954, transferred up to the Alvin, and easily picked up that season's New York Drama Critics Circle Award. The score is inventive beyond bounds; it is regularly overlooked, in part because of an original cast album which captured much of the show but presented it in truncated fashion laced with narration. (The one standard to emerge was the languid "Lazy Afternoon.") I feel optimistic, though, that The Golden Apple will resurface in full glory over the next several years. As for the vocal score, it is much appreciated. For many years, the music was available only in an unwieldy, handwritten rental score that was in places indecipherable. The new edition, edited and carefully corrected by Larry Moore, is clear, clean and playable, all 538 pages of it. (The original Porgy and Bess vocal score runs 559.)

Very nice, Larry!! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2013, 02:13:11 PM »

(That's another score I had to replace.  Porgy and Bess.  How in the HELL that one went missing is anyone's guess.)

That sounds wonderful, DR Elmore.  And congrats on the nice mention.  Wow, something else to look forward to seeing/hearing someday.

Ginny

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2013, 02:35:47 PM »

Friday evening greetings!  With snow-mageddon on its way, we've scrubbed tomorrow's trip to NW Ohio for the Nathan/Timothy/Rachel birthday bash.  Their Aunt Jen picked up our gifts and she and her mom are on their way, ahead of the storm.  Whether or not we go to Lima on Sunday remains to be seen.

After my hair appointment and lunch Richard and I went grocery shopping for Mom and for us.  We're now settled in for the onslaught.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Doug R

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2013, 02:36:38 PM »

TOD

Blu-ray

Received the Blu-ray set of my favorite '60s TV series THE PRISONER as an upgrade to the DVD.

DVD - nothing!

CD - nothing!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2013, 02:36:42 PM »

DR ELMORE gets around!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »

Had a bacon cheeseburger and no fries or onion rings, picked up couple of packages and am now in for the duration.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2013, 02:47:13 PM »

Page three?  Really?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »

Something is slow around here and I suspect it's Time Warner, since I'm having that issue elsewhere.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2013, 03:00:21 PM »

Friday evening greetings!  With snow-mageddon on its way, we've scrubbed tomorrow's trip to NW Ohio for the Nathan/Timothy/Rachel birthday bash.  Their Aunt Jen picked up our gifts and she and her mom are on their way, ahead of the storm.  Whether or not we go to Lima on Sunday remains to be seen.

After my hair appointment and lunch Richard and I went grocery shopping for Mom and for us.  We're now settled in for the onslaught.

I'm sorry you will miss the fun.  Take the time off to do your basement walk twice a day.

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2013, 03:47:21 PM »

I'm sorry you will miss the fun.  Take the time off to do your basement walk twice a day.

Not likely, DR Jane, because I seem to be coming down with a cold  :P
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »

Bummer Ginny.  I guess it is good you can't go to the party.  Vibes you feel better tomorrow!

Jane

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2013, 03:51:04 PM »

I put Craig's large vase of flowers on my little desk and they are partially covering my computer screen.  They make me happy here and I can enjoy the lovely aroma.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2013, 03:52:37 PM »

I'm very glad the boys sent me very different arrangements, except for both have lilies in them. 

Jane

« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2013, 03:55:08 PM »

From Bryan

KevinH

« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2013, 03:55:31 PM »

Congrats on the playbill.com mention, DR elmore!

Ginny

« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2013, 04:00:15 PM »

Richard Sherman is ABC News' Person of the Week.  We just saw the report as the last story on ABC World News Tonight with Diane Sawyer.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2013, 04:01:15 PM »

Craig's flowers that look even prettier on my desk than in the photo.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2013, 04:01:49 PM »

The photo of Bryan's flowers truly doesn't do it justice.

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2013, 04:03:50 PM »

Both flower arrangements are beautiful, DR Jane!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2013, 04:08:09 PM »

Ditto!     :)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2013, 04:08:55 PM »

Congrats on the playbill.com mention, DR elmore!

Indeed - congratulations to DR elmore3003. Even though this was published quite some time ago!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

George

« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »

Ditto!     :)

Ditto, too!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2013, 04:12:21 PM »

Not likely, DR Jane, because I seem to be coming down with a cold  :P

~~~No Cold Vibes for Ginny...or Anyone!!~~~

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2013, 04:13:27 PM »

Going to see the local NUTCRACKER tonight.

I dated him!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2013, 04:19:56 PM »

Had a bacon cheeseburger and no fries or onion rings, picked up couple of packages and am now in for the duration.

I had a cheeseburger and a bowl of clam chowder.  The burger came with potato salad that I didn't eat; becasue it was nasty.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2013, 04:38:26 PM »

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2013, 05:21:03 PM »

Oh brrr. So cold out tonight!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2013, 05:21:57 PM »

And I am home from the Emergency Room! Ta-Dah!

Around 4:30 I accidentally cut myself badly and i could not get the bleeding to stop. Around 5:30, I figured it wash;t going to stop and I hailed a taxi and headed to the St Lukes ER at 114th and Amsterdam. I was seen by a beautiful Indian Dr Nyack - that's not the correct spelling but that's how it's pronounced - around 6:30 who told me to apply pressure to the gauze pad over the wound for 20 minutes. 

30 minutes later it was still bleeding profusely, so she came back with supplies and ditched the wound. I go back in 5 days to have the stitches removed.

I was home by 7:50, and my Britcoms aren't on tonight! I'll watch some fund raiser until 9:00, then GRIMM.

DR George, you should be my agent!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up