Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: HELL BENT FOR LEATHER  (Read 46368 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:HELL BENT FOR LEATHER
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2003, 01:11:19 PM »

DR TCB - You're batty.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2003, 01:11:37 PM »

Oh, heck!  Just got back from lunch.  Will this day NEVER end?

So many things I'd RATHER be doing!

So little time to do them in, too!

steveg

« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2003, 01:15:49 PM »

:)
Mark:
Thanks for the tip.
I'm just a bagel on a plate of onion rolls.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2003, 01:21:03 PM »

What fun we are all having.  It really is like a party here now.  Yes, that was me chugging on a Diet Coke.  

Now, I must get in my automobile and do a couple of errands.  Keep the home fires burning.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2003, 01:22:03 PM »

Small world dept:

I have worked in this office for a bit over 9 years.  Every morning I buy my newspaper from a "stand" here at the Government Center.

I thought the woman I bought my paper from looked familiar, but didn't dwell on it!  Then yesterday someone called her by name...Theresa.  Something clicked, I asked my mother the name of the people who lived next to us when I was 4 years old.

I asked Theresa this morning what her mother's name is.  Lo and Behold!  Theresa is the girl next door from over 40 years ago!   :o ;D

Time marches on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2003, 01:24:58 PM »

Jrand:  Just be grateful that you are in a No Groaning Zone!

VIRGO
Ha!  I added my own astrological sign.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2003, 01:27:28 PM »

Jrand:  You have buying your paper from this woman for nine years, and you just now figured out that she looked familiar?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2003, 01:32:51 PM »

There are some very weird smiley faces on the web!
“One thing’s universal,

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2003, 01:34:02 PM »

You are running Errands? What about TRUANDS?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #159 on: October 24, 2003, 01:42:06 PM »

Uh-oh.  I'm cold in my office.  And I'm perspiring.  The back of my head is wet.  And there are NO ceiling leaks.

What can this mean????

Gads!  I don't want to get sick.  Quick! Somebody tell me a remedy!  Preferably something with 50 proof or higher!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 01:43:33 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2003, 01:55:11 PM »

3pm and we already have 116 posts! What hath Bruce wraught?

What has been wraught is a bunch of very short posts of one sentence designed to increase the "numbers" of posts.

The thought-filled posts we used to see may be a thing of the past until the new wears off!

;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 01:56:18 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2003, 01:58:50 PM »

Ron:
Before you go to bed tonight, take two shots of Jack Daniels and chase it with the following tea:

3 c. water
3 Tbsp. crushed or mashed ginger root
3 Tbsp. slippery elm
1 lemon (just the juice)
4 Tbsp. honey

Boil water in a small saucepan.  
Add in remaining ingredients and reduce to simmer, stirring thoroughly.  
Simmer for about 10 minutes and allow to cool slightly before drinking.

You can get these ingredients at a good health food store, and if you don't have one or you can't find the ingredients, substitute Ginger teabags and Throat Coat teabags, which you should be able to find at a good grocery store.  If you can't find anything remotely resembling the ingredients, let me know and I'll mail them to you.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2003, 02:04:03 PM »

You forgot the tannis root.  (Oh, a Rosemary's Baby reference.)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2003, 02:11:04 PM »

I hope your Impervious Curse is in good shape, Ron!

(Ooh, a Harry Potter reference!)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2003, 02:14:15 PM »

A change in my DVD player media alert:

I told a friend at lunch today that I was going to watch MATRIX RELOADED tonight. He hadn't seen it, so he's coming over tomorrow night to see it. Instead, tonight will be A CHRISTMAS STORY - Special Edition. Is it too early for Christmas? I already watched SCROOGE when I got it a couple of weeks ago.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2003, 02:19:29 PM »

I forgot to answer the media question, but I don't really know how to answer it, since I have no idea what's in all our various media players...however, I do know that Our Wedding: the Musical! is currently in our CD player, and I assume that the tape of last week's West Wing is in there as well, waiting to record the season premiere of 24 (and I'm shivering with antici-

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2003, 02:20:44 PM »

Early?  It's the end of October!!!  No it's not too early for Christmas.

Well....I kept thinking she looked like someone - but I thought it was a coincidence!

Tomovoz

« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2003, 02:22:46 PM »

Thanks Ben for the welcome on board. I am still not winning the war with my computer  but hope to be more available from tomorrow. (available to post TCB). "Dial up" can be a nuisance and often takes so much time.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2003, 02:27:10 PM »

Ron: I just don't see it.  I have now glanced through all of today's marvelous posts and there are as many "thought-filled" posts as always, along with as many one-line posts as always.  
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 02:35:43 PM by bk »

François

« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2003, 02:35:25 PM »

Remembering Buddy Hacket

The 2003 Disney Legends Awards Ceremony

At the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, California, the 2003 Disney Legends Ceremony was held on October 16, 2003 in the Legends Plaza. Since its beginning in 1987 when only one individual, film star Fred Mac Murray, was designated a Disney Legend, the Disney Legends Ceremony has been held annually except for 1988. Its purpose is to honor those individuals whose body of work has made a significant impact on the Disney Legacy.
One of those recipients this year was Buddy Hackett-

The award was accepted by son Sandy and daughter Lisa Hackett. Sandy said “Sitting here today thinking of something to say, I looked up at this building (Team Disney aka Dwarfs Building), and I’m seeing the Seven Dwarfs and realized that Disney likes things that are short, fat and round. That’s how Disney and my Dad hooked up.”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2003, 02:42:09 PM »

I come not to damn the new board but to praise the old one:

How I enjoyed coming here and reading BK's Notes II.  With one click of a not-so-unseemly button, I got to one page that served all my needs:

1. It completed the witty and urbane notes with a question or topic.

2. Then it said how many unseemly responses there'd been.

3. Since it was just one page, I could "find" a word (using Ctrl+F) like Sondheim, if I wanted to just jump to whatever anyone said about Sondheim that day.

4. It was all scroll.  Never did I have to click again.

5. Most wonderfully, it was all text.  The HainesHisWay board was the product of what the host and guests had to say.  What they said was often amusing to me, and I really appreciated seeing words and nothing but words.  In one readable font that never glowed.

6. Sometimes Ethel Merman would post.

Now, I realize the ability to post under any name (e.g., 5 on The Last 5 Years) meant that uncouth interlopers could waltz through Bruce's door.  So I've no objection to passwords and real e-mail address registry.  If this is a party at Bruce's place, well, uttering a password at the door reminds me of an authentic old speakeasy like Chumley's, where we had our reception.

To continue the analogy, I loved that Bruce's place was sparsely decorated, thereby increasing the concentration on good conversation.  I know I'm resistant to change and a nattering nabob of discontent, but when you've been coming to a charmingly spartan place for a while and suddenly there's loud whirring pinball machines, skittle ball, and balloons that keep popping ... it just seems that the focus on talk ain't what it used to be.

Ditto.  In a nutshell.  I've said that I'll get used to it, and I know that I will and that I'll love it, but I also loved the simplicity of the old board.  Oh, well.  That's one price of progress...but the smilies are pretty fun!   ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dennis

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: October 24, 2003, 02:42:31 PM »

Where did the saying Hell Bent for Leather come from? Does this mean if we like leather we are going to hell..and you can take that in any context you like.  That would make us Hells Angels!!...that was bad.
Hell Bent for Election....maybe that is where the votes are counted.
I did learn the origin of potluck. In Olde England when the pot was in the fireplace all day, various critters would fall down the chimney (spiders, mice, etc) and
that would constitute the protein in the dinner bowl.

I assume that one of Bruce's favorite euphemisms Brand Spanking New comes from the fact we are all swatted on the rear when we are born.  That took a lot of thought on my part.
I will now go back to doing whatever it is I do best.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2003, 02:43:22 PM »

Tom from Oz:  So good to see you here at HHW.

The topic of the day:

DVD:  Scrooge
CD (in my car): 2 disc set The Mamas and The Papas
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 02:44:03 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2003, 02:43:50 PM »

Thanks François. I received mail this week in a "disney bag". With so much Walt around we indeed shall have the happiest kingdom of them all.
TCB is a mermaid? This site is indeed educational. How can a mermaid be expected to teach cildren to pick pockets at Christmas? A group visit to Tacoma to see "Oliver" should be organised and financed. I don't have to cross much land - just go hell bent for leather across a very big pond.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2003, 02:47:22 PM »

I did learn the origin of potluck. In Olde England when the pot was in the fireplace all day, various critters would fall down the chimney (spiders, mice, etc) and that would constitute the protein in the dinner bowl.

There is some information I guess I would just rather not learn.  Thanks for the charming image, DR Dennis.   ;)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #175 on: October 24, 2003, 02:47:29 PM »

DR TCB: Am very pleased that you are listening to Cass, Dennie, John & Michelle. My favourite track is probably "Dancing Bear". Make what you will of that!
Hope you are not confusing your Dickens characters witht hat DVD.
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2003, 02:51:23 PM »

In my CD player at work:  the 3-track promo CD of Never Gonna Dance that I got yesterday from eBay!  It was sealed!  I've listened to it and it's pretty good.  I can't wait for a full cast recording.  After this will be "Couldn't Be Hotter," the brand spankin' new live CD by The Manhattan Transfer.  

In my DVD player at home:  Sunday In the Park With George.  The library where I work just received "The Stephen Sondheim Collection" and I already have the six DVDs that make up the collection.

A few changes, though.  Sunday and Into the Woods are in the keep case, as opposed to the snap case (if I'm using the correct terminology), Into the Woods is now a one-sided disc instead of the two-sided disc and Sunday says "Feature Captioned For the Hearing Impaired."  I don't know if the original release is captioned.  The packaging says nothing of this.  When I get home tonight, I'm going to check it out.

In my VCR:  nothing.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #177 on: October 24, 2003, 02:52:46 PM »

Joy: What a treasure you are.  Ummm....what I'd like to know is, how important is the tea mixture as a chaser to the two slugs...errr...hits of J.D.?  Is there a specific effect one is going for, or is it sauce for the goose?  :)

Matt H:  "Haul out the holly, put up a tree before my spirit flags again..."   I could use a little Christmas about now!

All:  My weekend starts in 2 hours 15 minutes and I have decided to share it with each one of you.  That's Right!  You ALL get your own weekends, plus a piece of mine, all for yourselves!  I trust some of you will spend part of it here!

Happy Weekend Everybody!]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 02:53:58 PM by Ron Pulliam »

George

« Reply #178 on: October 24, 2003, 02:54:09 PM »

Okay, I'm padding my "Posts" count by saying that I'm now going back to page 1 to continue reading the posts.  (At the time of THIS post, only 11 more for me to get to 25!)  There have been so many more posts that it takes longer to get through everything.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #179 on: October 24, 2003, 02:56:37 PM »

Thank you to the karma fairy(s).  It was a pleasant surprise to come home and find out I've been touched by an angel!  I will look forward to getting to 25 (?) posts so I can give back the love.

Maya, I am all for study abroad.  I'd highly recommend it to anyone and I hope it works out for you when you're in college.  :)  Paris, ooh la la!

For DR Arnold, I think you asked me some time ago what I thought of COLD MOUNTAIN.  I meant to answer you but my fershluganah cable modem went on the fritz, and then I went on vacation and never got the chance to write back.  So I thought, better late than never: I thought the performances were all fantastic, especially Renee Zellweger (it is a bit of a departure for her).  I don't usually care for her but I thought she was hilarious.  I'm sure her performance will be remembered during the awards season.  As always, Nicole Kidman and Jude Law were powerful and intense.  I wonder if all the films Nicole is appearing in this season (THE HUMAN STAIN, DOGVILLE, COLD MOUNTAIN) will cancel out each other for award nominations or if one performance will stand out.  Anyway, the cinematography was beautiful, and I enjoyed the directing, though I thought it was a little overwrought toward the end (not unlike THE ENGLISH PATIENT, also by Anthony Minghella).  Finally, I really don't remember that much about the score, as I am not very musically inclined that way and have no idea what to listen for.

I see the MPAA are partially reversing the ban on awards screeners.. very interesting.
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up