Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: STUDIO GHIBLI  (Read 4920 times)

ChasSmith

Re: STUDIO GHIBLI
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 07:34:27 AM »

Two (2).

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 07:48:51 AM »

I hadn't though of recycling, Ginny. So I don't really know. I'd have probably put them in the trash.

I'm responsible for at least a few very large trash bags worth of VHS tapes sitting in the landfills today.

The stuff might be recyclable in some way, but even though I participate in normal recycling at home and consider myself a halfway decent citizen as regards such things, as soon as it becomes a challenge or a hassle or an expense....sorry, the sh stuff goes into the trash.

Yep, that's kind of where I am, DR ChasSmith.  I just want them off the family room hearth!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2014, 07:51:10 AM »

DR GINNY these people recycle, but it costs some money.

http://www.greendisk.com/

Also it seems a lot of schools like to take video tapes and record over them for classes.....or some schools anyway....maybe someone in your area has such a program.

Thanks, DR JRand.  GreenDisk has come up in all my research, but seems kind of complicated.  I do have a lot of teacher friends, so I'll ask around.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 07:56:11 AM »

I wonder if I should go see my friends' BAREFOOT IN THE PARK tonight.

It'll get me out of the house.   :)

And tomorrow night's sold out.

Decisions, decisions.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 08:08:15 AM »

DR John G. - in answer to your question from yesterday...  I took a peek at the trailer for the new Annie. I have to say, it is not to my taste. All up-to-date, with quick editing, modern pop culture references, and just a general coarseness.

I watched it later as well. I was surprised by a few things. I never think of Annie as a purely kids' musical. This is definitely just for kids, and a little too precious and self-consciously cute for my tastes. But I was also surprised at how good the star's singing voice was.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 08:09:50 AM »

With regard to Animation:

I have yet to see FROZEN, but the truth is that I have tired of animated movies altogether.  There are just too many or them now.

And, I used to love animated features.

Back in the day, if we got 1 or 2 animated features a year, that was a lot.  And, more often than not, these movies were "special".

Now, it seems that we get, at least, one animated movie every month.  They are no longer "special".

Amen. The early Pixar movies were also genuinely funny. The latest ones try way too hard.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 08:14:11 AM »

Morning, all!

Mike: shiva can be a very mind-numbing experience, but I hope that it was also a healing one.

TOD:
On ye olde iPod: 1957 Rabbi Soloveitchik lecture series: "Man and His Social Institutions."
DVD drive: Bill Cosby (we haven't had time to change it out - too busy cleaning the living room for my mother-in-law's visit when the new arrival comes)
YouTube playlist: Bunch of Israeli political junk
On the nightstand: Cycles of Time by Robert Penrose

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2014, 08:18:42 AM »

Back from Round One of errands.

Has anyone ever ordered from this site:
http://www.pristineclassical.com

I am having a bitch of a time trying to checkout and nothing works. Also, I cannot find in ther "Help" page a cockamamie email address. Ridiculous.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2014, 09:55:58 AM »

For anyone who's interested in trying anime, start with Kiki's Delivery Service - it's wonderful and has a brilliant score - BUT it must be watched in Japanese with English subtitles.  The dub completely subverts everything about the film, has additional music (heaven forbid there should be silence) and is appalling.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 09:56:26 AM »

Oh, and I'm up and have been up since six, just staying in bed wishing I were asleep. 

ryacko

• Fancy an awkward pause?
    • Robert Yacko's dot com
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2014, 09:56:36 AM »

Happy Friday, all!

TOD: On its way from Netlfix for me is "20 Feet from Stardom". Looking forward to it.

Quiet day here. Mostly domestic stuff I've put off since i got home. I wish this place would clean itself.  :D

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »

TOD:

DVR:
Recoreded some oldies off of TCM, including a movie titled HULLABALOO

CD:
Sukhvir Sukh's just released first CD. I have been listening to it constatly for about a month now. I just love it.

DVD:
Will be babysitting little Harper and Cole and think it is high time they are introduced to some musicals. LIL ABNER might just be a good one for this...also thinking of FLOWER DRUM SONG. My friend Marge's son watched it with me years ago when he was about 4 years old and he loved it...he kept singing (or trying to sing) 100 MILLION MIRACLES over and over, for days afterwards.

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2014, 10:14:16 AM »

HOUSE OF CARDS does sound like a good show...and people at work have been trying to get me to watch DOWNTOWN ABBEY...and I have still not seen a single episode of MAD MEN.

There really are a lot of good quality shows airing, but, as DR ChasSmith mentioned, it is so hard to find the time to devote to all of them.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2014, 10:18:29 AM »

Of course, since SEAN SAVES THE WORLD...which was finally getting good, HAPPILY DIVORCED, and SOUTHLAND have all been cancelled, and I stopped watching CHICAGO FIRE, I do have room to add a few new series...on the other hand, the extra time not watching TV shows has helped me move further on getting some work done on my Bollywood book projects.

If I would get rid of television completely, I might also get some work done on interviews that have been sitting around for years now, waiting to be transcribed.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2014, 10:19:50 AM »

HOUSE OF CARDS does sound like a good show...and people at work have been trying to get me to watch DOWNTOWN ABBEY...and I have still not seen a single episode of MAD MEN.

There really are a lot of good quality shows airing, but, as DR ChasSmith mentioned, it is so hard to find the time to devote to all of them.

Mikey, it's DOWNTON ABBEY, but I would love to see DOWNTOWN ABBEY; it sounds like a sequel to GOING MY WAY, which, I'm sorry to disappoint you, is not about cruising or hitchhikers.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ryacko

• Fancy an awkward pause?
    • Robert Yacko's dot com
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2014, 10:23:11 AM »

The returning Rob Stevens just posted a lovely review of our Hal Prince Kritzerland show:

http://www.stagehappenings.com/Rob_Stevens/reviews/_2014/showtune.php

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2014, 10:40:47 AM »

I was hoping Rob would get around to us.  He was a very early champion of my musicals in the early 70s.

ChasSmith

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2014, 10:46:41 AM »

Very nice, gents.

ChasSmith

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2014, 10:50:14 AM »

Here's what we'll be springing our clocks forward to tomorrow night:

ChasSmith

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2014, 10:52:07 AM »

Feel like Spring yet?

Hey, check out that green mold on the dark side of the moon house...

ChasSmith

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2014, 10:52:44 AM »

Finally, one must always keep a clear path to one's generator...

ChasSmith

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2014, 10:52:59 AM »

Now how's all that for ugly?

ChasSmith

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2014, 10:54:44 AM »

Woops, they're a little dark.  It is, actually, slightly brighter than that out there today.  Just slightly.

ChasSmith

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2014, 11:14:44 AM »

Forgot one.  Looking through the window screen, the ice and snow on the roof and in the gutters...

John G.

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2014, 11:26:54 AM »

Mikey, it's DOWNTON ABBEY, but I would love to see DOWNTOWN ABBEY; it sounds like a sequel to GOING MY WAY, which, I'm sorry to disappoint you, is not about cruising or hitchhikers.

My boss also thought it was Downtown.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2014, 11:29:18 AM »

The returning Rob Stevens just posted a lovely review of our Hal Prince Kritzerland show:

Nice review.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2014, 11:54:57 AM »

Very nice!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2014, 11:55:17 AM »

The perfect gift for the person who has everything:

The Taxidermy Mice Chess Set!

No.  Just...no.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2014, 11:58:05 AM »

So, time change this weekend.  Spring Forward, people!!  :)

You know, it just doesn't feel like it's time for that when there's still what looks like a solid foot of frozen snow on the ground everywhere around here.

Great.  I have to work concessions on Sunday at noon, which means I really need to get there by what my body will say is 11:00 am.

:P

George

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2014, 11:59:30 AM »

For anyone who's interested in trying anime, start with Kiki's Delivery Service - it's wonderful and has a brilliant score - BUT it must be watched in Japanese with English subtitles.  The dub completely subverts everything about the film, has additional music (heaven forbid there should be silence) and is appalling.

I have several friends who absolutely refuse to ever watch the American dub of ANY Japanese anime film. 

I bought DVDs to the original Japanese TV show, "Space Battleship Yamato," known in and edited for the US as "Star Blazers."  The original is so much better.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up