Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RESTFUL SATURDAY DURING WHICH I DID NOT MUCH OF ANYTHING  (Read 9500 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE RESTFUL SATURDAY DURING WHICH I DID NOT MUCH OF ANYTHING
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2014, 06:27:37 AM »

So true.

I totally agree.

I recommended "Hatchi" with Richard Gere to a friend once based on this principle. But a few years later, she still holds me up as the person who made her cry the most with any movie she's ever seen!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2014, 06:27:50 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Michael

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2014, 06:37:33 AM »

Yesterday DR DRUXY mentioned SAMMY FAIN & PAUL FRANCIS WEBSTER

Here are two rare (obscure) songs they wrote for films that most people no long remember.

1) This song from the movie The Stepmother is sung in two different styles in the opening and closing of the film. The movie now shows up in collections of other public domain movies like "Drive-In Favorites"

The song is called "Strange Are The Ways Of Love". This is the end title version.

A side note is there was another song with the exact same title that was nominated in 1959 for the film The Young Land.

http://youtu.be/79L310U7wIk

2) The most obscure film is "Half A House" and the song is "A World That Never Was". I've been looking for a copy of the film for the past three years with no success.

DR DRUXY tells the story in his first memoir how he got the Academy voters to hear the song They set up an 800-number so that Academy voters could call in and hear Fain's demo recording of the song.

http://youtu.be/MkLq_W22-do  It starts at 1:34

This is taken from the film.

I thank DR Druxy for allowing me to hear the "1-800 version"  :D
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2014, 06:37:44 AM »

Yes DR ELMORE - I remember Joanie Phoanie very well.

My favorite Joan Baez moment on television was when she was on the Donald O'Conner Show, a short-lived Mike Douglas type afternoon talk show.  She was being very surly and not answering Donald's questions or engaging in much conversation.  This was when her husband was in trouble for avoiding the draft and might have been in jail, and she was also having legal troubles of her own. 

Finally she snapped at O'Conner:  You've got questions there on the card, just ask them.

So Donald replied:  Okay, sister, I'll ask you....how does it feel to be up the creek without a paddle?

LOL...Joanie had no response.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2014, 06:53:55 AM »

Yesterday DR DRUXY mentioned SAMMY FAIN & PAUL FRANCIS WEBSTER

Here are two rare (obscure) songs they wrote for films that most people no long remember.

1) This song from the movie The Stepmother is sung in two different styles in the opening and closing of the film. The movie now shows up in collections of other public domain movies like "Drive-In Favorites"

The song is called "Strange Are The Ways Of Love". This is the end title version.

A side note is there was another song with the exact same title that was nominated in 1959 for the film The Young Land.

http://youtu.be/79L310U7wIk

2) The most obscure film is "Half A House" and the song is "A World That Never Was". I've been looking for a copy of the film for the past three years with no success.

DR DRUXY tells the story in his first memoir how he got the Academy voters to hear the song They set up an 800-number so that Academy voters could call in and hear Fain's demo recording of the song.

http://youtu.be/MkLq_W22-do  It starts at 1:34

This is taken from the film.

I thank DR Druxy for allowing me to hear the "1-800 version"  :D

That is a terrible rendition of the song.  It needs to be sung by an older person.

Sammy Fain's demo recording nails it.

My memory (once again) fails me, Mike.  How did I "allow" you to hear Fain's verison of the song?
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2014, 06:58:59 AM »

And I remembered the dream with Ben Davis; Jason Graae was also in it, and Ben and I had gone to Jason to borrow or rent music for Ben to perform in a concert. I have a vague memory now that my dad's construction company was somehow involved in this mess.

Joan Baez and David Harris were very much against the war in Viet Nam. David went to prison for resisting the draft and anti-war activity. I was with sympathetic and doing my own resisting with most of my college theatre dept. My dad - "my country right or wrong" - did not approve at the time of my stance on the war, and he threw me and several friends from the theatre dept. wearing black arm bands after the Kent State shotings out of the house and told us we were not welcome. Things got very tense in my family for a lot of the 1970s, but shortly before he died, he told me I was right and that he had been wrong.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:32:56 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2014, 08:42:00 AM »

is it weird to give yourself vibes? I woke up with a massive migraine which is my least favorite illness in the world (as I was hospitalized once for one).

Unfortunately my fiorinol (sp?) was expired although I still had quiet a few pills left as I only get migraines every few years.

I was at 10/10 for pain now I am at 6/10 which is better but still uncomfortable.

I was hoping if I called the pharmacy where I got the pills that they might exchange a few of the old pills for some new ones. They wouldn't. I really don't see why not for something like this. There is nothing else I could use the pill for. I obviously have suffered from migraines. And I'm not asking for a refill as I still have the pills.

When I feel better this week I am going to go to the doctor and get a new prescription so this doesn't happen again.

I ended up taking the expired pills which work just not as well. I really hope this goes away soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John G.

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2014, 08:53:14 AM »

I would say it's perfectly normal to wish yourself vibes, Jennifer.

But I'm still sending another dose.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2014, 08:59:19 AM »

Good morning, all.  (just barely)

A quick visit, then I must be away till this evening after our matinee.

FJL

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2014, 09:00:46 AM »

More vibes to Jennifer for migraine relief!

ChasSmith

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2014, 09:01:29 AM »

Tonight and tomorrow are totally and blessedly free, so I'll get to ketchup a little on whatever might be going on in life, the universe, and everything.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2014, 09:01:58 AM »

DR DRUXY is on TCM right now in IT HAPPENED AT THE WORLD'S FAIR...oh, and Elvis is in it, too.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2014, 09:02:58 AM »

Feelings were very high at that time DR ELMORE.....if you weren't there, it could never be explained.....

ChasSmith

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2014, 09:05:16 AM »

Tuesday and Thursday morning are the banes of doing musicals at the HS -- we do morning performances for the regional elementary schools.  Oddly enough, they can be extraordinarily attentive and appreciative audiences.  But the rising at dawn's crack to get down there for those is a hideous joke played on the likes of me by emissaries from Hell.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 09:10:01 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2014, 09:08:54 AM »

Feel Better Vibes for DR Jennifer!

ChasSmith

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2014, 09:13:04 AM »

Picked up the car this morning, and it drives like a new one.  It's shocking when you get something like a clutch replaced, because the wear and deterioration happen so slowly over the years that until things finally start going to hell in a handbasket (I wonder if anybody ever actually did that?), you just don't notice the incredible change in the feel of the pedal and the gear shifter and in the performance of the car in general.  And boy, I guess it needed that tune-up, too.  It purred for me all the way home.  Hey, I'm not making this up, you know.  It really purred!

FJL

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2014, 09:39:41 AM »

An article on the Donald O'Connor talk show specifically mentions the Joan Baez interview.

Hope this link works.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1893&dat=19681204&id=U85QAAAAIBAJ&sjid=TMcMAAAAIBAJ&pg=2635,6685329

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »

Feelings were very high at that time DR ELMORE.....if you weren't there, it could never be explained.....

It's true, DR JRand63, just like the AIDS crisis: there were too many dying needless and ugly deaths, and there were those who fought the unjustness if it all and those who didn't give a damn.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 10:12:39 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2014, 10:11:08 AM »

I called my mother Mummy until I was older and began calling her Mom.  Why I didn't switch to Mum I don't know.  My siblings used Mommy & Mom all along.

Our daughter in-law calls her parents by their first name.  Her older brother started doing it when he was very young and her parents liked it.  I would hate it.

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2014, 10:12:51 AM »

Thanks to DRs JohnG, FJL, and Chas Smith. The vibes are working. The pain is now four out of ten.

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2014, 10:14:26 AM »

That message just decided to post itself. It is still uncomfortable but so much better than before.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2014, 10:16:32 AM »

My nieces call their mom Mommy (although they are young). I call my mom Mother.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2014, 10:35:48 AM »

~ ~ ~ MIGRAINE BEGONE VIBES ~ ~ ~ for DR Jennifer!  I have not experienced them myself, but friends and family have, and I know how debilitating they can be.      :P
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jane

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2014, 10:45:21 AM »

is it weird to give yourself vibes? I woke up with a massive migraine which is my least favorite illness in the world (as I was hospitalized once for one).

Unfortunately my fiorinol (sp?) was expired although I still had quiet a few pills left as I only get migraines every few years.

I was at 10/10 for pain now I am at 6/10 which is better but still uncomfortable.

I was hoping if I called the pharmacy where I got the pills that they might exchange a few of the old pills for some new ones. They wouldn't. I really don't see why not for something like this. There is nothing else I could use the pill for. I obviously have suffered from migraines. And I'm not asking for a refill as I still have the pills.

When I feel better this week I am going to go to the doctor and get a new prescription so this doesn't happen again.

I ended up taking the expired pills which work just not as well. I really hope this goes away soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, it is ok to give yourself vibes.  I would have told you to use the expired pills and am glad you did.  It would have been illegal for the pharmacy to switch out the pills though I understand your frustration.  When you get the new script put a reminder on your calendar to renew the script when they expire.

Here the pharmacy would have sent a renewal request to the doctor.  Do they do that there?  I would call the office to request the renewal and not wait until you can go in, just in case.

FEEL BETTER!!!!

Jane

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2014, 10:46:10 AM »

Picked up the car this morning, and it drives like a new one.  It's shocking when you get something like a clutch replaced, because the wear and deterioration happen so slowly over the years that until things finally start going to hell in a handbasket (I wonder if anybody ever actually did that?), you just don't notice the incredible change in the feel of the pedal and the gear shifter and in the performance of the car in general.  And boy, I guess it needed that tune-up, too.  It purred for me all the way home.  Hey, I'm not making this up, you know.  It really purred!

:)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2014, 11:00:42 AM »

And the word of the day is: INKHORN!

Jubilation T. Inkhorn!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2014, 11:13:26 AM »

Here's a question I'll throw out there for anyone:

How do you memorize a song like "Jubilation T. Cornpone" or "The Country's in the Very Best of Hands?" There's a lot of verses, a lot of references, a lot of rapid-fire lyrics.

Do you just learn it by rote? Is there some kind of pneumonic mental trick that you use?
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2014, 11:17:37 AM »

Redbox has "The Book Thief".  I want to see it but Keith still hasn't read the book.  DR Cilla, or anyone that has read the book, did you watch it yet?  I'm trying to decide if I should continue to wait for him to read it.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2014, 11:20:18 AM »

It was a really beautiful morning here all three times that I got out of bed.  As I was having my second cup of coffee, the sky started getting darker and darker.  Eventually the rain, that had been forecast, began.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:53:16 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2014, 11:21:11 AM »

One more.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up