Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY OF THE STUMBLE-THROUGH  (Read 3935 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THE DAY OF THE STUMBLE-THROUGH
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2014, 02:13:09 PM »

After I had an excellent swim, excellent meaning that my shoulder felt good & I had a single lane, we went to the pond store for fish food.  They had these fish I had never seen before called Red Cap Oranda.  They looked like cartoon fish swimming around.  This is the best photo I could find on the internet.

ChasSmith

« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2014, 02:13:16 PM »

In more pleasant news, I've been reacquainting myself with the beauty that is FINIAN'S RAINBOW, by way of the three Broadway cast albums.

I'm very upset with myself for not having seen the revival.  The album is pure magic, ranking with some of the greatest in terms of capturing Broadway musical magic.  Mr. Berman's conducting, as at Encores!, is to die for.  It doesn't hurt that the music and lyrics themselves don't exactly suck, either.

I don't know the extent of DR Elmore's contributions, but I can take an educated guess at a couple of things.  I took out the battered old vocal score that I probably hadn't looked at in three decades.  While it's woefully simplistic in its piano reduction and notation, it's still a pleasure to have. 

Any differences in the published vocal score and the recording are most likely my orchestrations: 6 bars here, 10 bars there.

I also haven't yet compared with the other two albums.

Edit:  Which is the kind of thing that would be nice to do with cast albums if you had, say, three players in the system to toggle between.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 02:24:06 PM by ChasSmith »

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2014, 02:13:39 PM »

I really do need to get rid of more, but find that I can't work at it for hours on end like I used to.

Wow - we are in exactly the same boat.        :P

Just cleared away a huge chunk of books, many from classes that I'll never need again. I'll probably get 5 cents for the lot, even though some of the textbooks cost a great deal.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2014, 02:15:33 PM »

Beautiful fish, Jane.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2014, 02:17:16 PM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Back to work today.  We're putting back together the parts of our bedroom that we've finished painting and getting ready to do more.  Rob and Mary Linda will be here to begin their painting of the room directly above that will be their living/dining room.  We'll have our Independence Day cook-out today.

Except for a kitchen they will have their own private rooms.  I like that. 

Jane

« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2014, 02:17:51 PM »

Thanks John.  They were really cute swimming around.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2014, 02:23:19 PM »

You aren't picking them up when it is over?

No - that task has fallen to a different friend. And just as well, because finding them amongst thousands of people will be more difficult than dropping them off was.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2014, 02:25:27 PM »

I'll probably get 5 cents for the lot, even though some of the textbooks cost a great deal.

I hate how that works.

I think the textbook market is especially swindleous.  That's a made-up word, but it's apt.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2014, 02:26:53 PM »

if you had, say, three players in the system to toggle between.

I would have that as part of my set-up, in the library/private study of my dreams.          :)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2014, 02:28:16 PM »

So, DR John G. -

...is there any pie left over??                    ;D

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2014, 02:32:03 PM »

in the library/private study of my dreams.     

And this is a photo of where it will be located, so no one will be bothering me...       ;D

Ginny

« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2014, 02:33:31 PM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Back to work today.  We're putting back together the parts of our bedroom that we've finished painting and getting ready to do more.  Rob and Mary Linda will be here to begin their painting of the room directly above that will be their living/dining room.  We'll have our Independence Day cook-out today.

Yes, they'll have the whole upstairs.  We are thinking seriously about putting a wet bar in the living/dining room - something along these lines:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2014, 02:44:45 PM »

Yes, they'll have the whole upstairs.  We are thinking seriously about putting a wet bar in the living/dining room - something along these lines:

That looks like an excellent idea.  If the plumbing is a pain they do have a sink in the bathroom.  You could just put a cutting board over the sink hole & skip the hook-up.  Are they coffee drinkers?  If so that looks like a good spot for a coffee maker.

Ginny

« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2014, 02:48:12 PM »

DR Jane, the plumbing for the shower & tub is right on the other side of the wall where we're envisioning this.  We'll talk to plumber when he (Dad Rick) or she (Daughter Lori) comes to do the bathroom work.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2014, 02:59:53 PM »

So, DR John G. -

Yes. There were about 10 desserts for 30 people, and plenty of leftovers. Sadly, I'll have to eat it.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2014, 03:01:01 PM »

Looks nice, Ginny.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2014, 03:33:19 PM »

DR John G, the more I think about it and look at the photo, the more I want to do it!

John G.

« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2014, 04:13:39 PM »

I'll probably get 5 cents for the lot, even though some of the textbooks cost a great deal.

I hate how that works.

I think the textbook market is especially swindleous.  That's a made-up word, but it's apt.

I like swindleous. Wonder what it rhymes with? Kindle us?
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2014, 04:14:36 PM »

DR Jane, the plumbing for the shower & tub is right on the other side of the wall where we're envisioning this.  We'll talk to plumber when he (Dad Rick) or she (Daughter Lori) comes to do the bathroom work.

Then it might be easy to install, and remove if you decide to down the road.

Jane

« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2014, 04:16:17 PM »

DR John G, the more I think about it and look at the photo, the more I want to do it!

I think it would be a nice convenience for them.  How long do you expect them to live with you?

Jane

« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2014, 04:17:31 PM »

I hate how that works.

How many of your books were written by your instructor?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »

So, DR John G. -

worked your way through all those lemon bars already?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ginny

« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2014, 05:04:08 PM »

I think it would be a nice convenience for them.  How long do you expect them to live with you?

We're thinking it could be 3-5 years and Richard thinks the wet bar would enhance the value of the house.

Jane

« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »

I think for that amount of time it is worth the expense.  I'm not sure about enhancing the value of the house, depends on the buyer.  I doubt it would hurt.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 05:18:41 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2014, 05:18:24 PM »

I'm going into the bedroom to read and cool off.  With the air on it is only 78 degrees.

John G.

« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2014, 06:27:05 PM »

I hate how that works.

How many of your books were written by your instructor?
Zero, thankfully.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2014, 06:28:34 PM »

And so on the day after Independence Day, I listened to "Independence Day" from "The Brain from Planet X." (Actually I listened to the whole album.)
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2014, 06:43:49 PM »

Just put on "The Monuments Men." The first word out of someone's mouth is a German saying, "Champagne!"

I'm gonna get bitchy here, but a real German would call for Sekt, their word for any sparkling wine and the word they used throughout the war, according to a book I read on how the French winemakers tried to subvert their best vintages in the 1940s from falling into Nazi hands.

They walled in full vintages to hide them, and they forgot about them. When the bottles were found in the 1990s, they were in excellent condition.

I hope the rest of the film is better.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »

Stumble-through was a whole lot of fun - only a couple of tiny lyric fumfers, and fewer notes than I've ever given - two to be exact - and only one was an acting note - the other was cutting a verse out of a put-together that just went on too long.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2014, 06:52:39 PM »

Then I went to Jerry's with the Staitmans and had a chili, cheese and onion omelet and an English muffin.  Now I'm home relaxing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up