Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: AND THEY'RE OFF AND RUNNING!  (Read 3644 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
AND THEY'RE OFF AND RUNNING!
« on: August 10, 2014, 12:49:35 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were off and running, and now it is time for you to post until the off and running cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: AND THEY'RE OFF AND RUNNING!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 12:50:37 AM »

And the word of the day is: BAILIWICK!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 01:51:14 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 01:55:46 AM »

Well, it's taken me far too long (sorry BK), but I wrote a review for "Red Gold":

5.0 out of 5 stars height=12  A New Story of the Old West, August 10, 2014 

Full disclosure: I’ve read all of Bruce Kimmel’s books and I’ve been a fan since I read his first. “Red Gold” is set in Stillwater, California, in the year 1880, and is about 10-year-old Jeremiah Goldberg and his mother Sarah (the only Jewish family in Stillwater), his friends Rachel Burgoyne and Fong Lee, and Fleet Barringer, the man that Sarah is sweet on.

There’s murder at the heart of this story. Jeremiah’s father was killed three years earlier, and now a local newspaperman is killed. Are they somehow related? Jeremiah wants to investigate but can’t get help from the local sheriff. He doesn’t seem interested in helping anyone. Could he be involved in the murders??

Jeremiah does get help from his friends John and Emma Grant, an older couple who retired to Stillwater. John formulates a plan and they (John, Jeremiah, Rachel, Fong and Emma) set it up, put it in motion and (if you’ll pardon the expression) execute it to its incredibly satisfying conclusion.

The only disappointment was that I got through it too quickly! Of course, Mr. Kimmel told the story that he wanted, but certainly I wouldn’t have minded a little more of it. It’s humorous and touching, and at times quite exiting. I hope that Mr. Kimmel continues the story of Jeremiah Goldberg.

:)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 02:01:09 AM »

And now, to bed.

Good night, Ben.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 03:55:15 AM »

Very much looking forward to the release of the new And the World Goes Round!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

ChasSmith

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 04:17:41 AM »

Good morning, all.

One more hour of sleep, please.

Woops.  Too late.  I'm already up.   Coffee!

ChasSmith

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 04:27:35 AM »

This Redondo Beach performing arts jernt is a new thing to me.

And what a damning review that was.  Damn, damn, damn, damn!  Wait, wrong damn musical.

Several years ago I saw an amateur production of Damn Yankees at a so-so outdoor venue with bring-your-own seating, a so-so sound system, and accompanied by a couple of keyboards (but original show book used), and it was charming because this director "gets" all of that stuff.

Wow.  What a disaster.

ChasSmith

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 04:36:33 AM »

TOD:

I'm a little sad to say I have no racetrack experiences.  Maybe one -- I think someone took us the dog races in Florida when I was a kid.  But I never went in California.

Never went in the suburbs of Chicago, either, but when I first moved there I loved driving by the Arlington Park Race Track because the bleachers building was this beautiful grand old structure.  And then wouldn't you know the damned thing burns down not long after the year I was there.  At least they rebuilt it right away and it looks like the track is still going strong.

Anyhoo, even though I wasn't really the racing type, I think I would have liked going now and then, and I'm sorry I didn't during the heyday of the Los Angeles area parks.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 04:37:38 AM »

Good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

ChasSmith

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 04:41:53 AM »

Today I have a daytime rehearsal, which pretty much kills the day but it should be productive and enjoyable.  We scheduled a couple of long Sunday ones to accommodate one cast member who's commuting in order to be in the show.  So I shall be E&T through most the day.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 04:45:55 AM »

My racetrack experience tend to be movies like:

Little Miss Marker
A Day At The Races
The Sting
Going Places (Where the song Jeepers Creepers was introduced)
National Velvet
The Black Stallion

I am sure there are others but these come right to mind
Never stop dreaming.

ChasSmith

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 05:12:54 AM »

While considering a second cup of coffee and a couple of slices of rye toast, I idly googled the "Damn Yankees" production to see what I could find.  I didn't learn much -- mostly, that it played in Fullerton before moving to Redondo.  A couple of "reviews" mainly tell the story, but there's nary a bad word to be found...

"WOW!  Few 1950s musicals have stood the test of time as well as Damn Yankees, proof positive of which can now be seen at Fullerton’s Plummer Auditorium in 3-D Theatricals’ pitch-perfect revival of the 1955 Broadway gem..."
http://www.stagescenela.com/2014/07/damn-yankees-2/

"Cancel that flight to New York; there’s no need to fly all that way to experience Broadway. Not when there is a locally produced, wonderfully staged, energetic and enthusiastic musical from 3-D Theatricals."
http://www.presstelegram.com/arts-and-entertainment/20140715/3-d-theatricals-damn-yankees-hits-home-run-in-fullerton-before-coming-to-redondo-beach?source=alsorecommended

And in my silly opinion, what a horrible name.  Doesn't "3-D Theatricals" sound like the outfit you'd find in the Yellow Pages to do the lighting and special effects at a rock concert, or to entertain with magic acts at a corporate function?

But get this -- here's their very own blurb on Facebook:
"Opening night was a HUGE success! Having to hold the house because we had a line that wrapped around the corner wasn't the worst thing matinee starts at 2pm today! Did we mention we have a full bar at Redondo?"
https://www.facebook.com/pages/3-D-Theatricals/191607813283

That's accompanied by a photograph of a few of the bottles at the bar, in case we might not know what they meant by "full bar".

Edit:  And don't miss the couple of customer "reviews"!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 05:23:53 AM by ChasSmith »

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 05:15:24 AM »

We went to the track at Atlantic City for dinner and horse racing a few times while on vacation growing up over the years. I remember it being very colorful and exciting. I liked studying the Daily Form and making my selections, but I don't think I actually bet.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Laura

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 05:34:23 AM »

Good morning.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 05:53:22 AM »

Good morning, all.

Sunday vibes to those in need.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 05:55:09 AM »

I love a good trip to the track. Back in college, which was in Lexington, Ky., I would occasionally cut class and spend the afternoon at Keeneland. During the week, it was never crowded and the people watching was good as the race watching. It was also affordable, which was another draw.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Kerry

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 06:21:28 AM »

A big Sunday Howdy to everyone!
I like boat races.

FJL

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 06:29:57 AM »

A big Sunday Howdy to everyone!

Is that anything like an Oklahoma hello, Will?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 07:14:21 AM »

Well.....my guess is that MR BK's review was more along the lines of the facts about the show, but those linked reviews almost sound like they were written by "friends."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 07:15:47 AM »

I am saddened by the Tony Stewart incident......watched the video and there was NO reason for that driver to be ON the track.....he was behaving like an idiot.

And Stewart's team says business as usual, Stewart will race today.  Tragedy all around.

ChasSmith

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 07:49:43 AM »

Well.....my guess is that MR BK's review was more along the lines of the facts about the show, but those linked reviews almost sound like they were written by "friends."

Oh, of course!

Okay, I'm off.  Probably not to see the wizard ... but one never knows, does one?  Back tonight.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 08:43:42 AM »

DR Cilla thanks for the report on The 100 foot Journey.

Jane

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 08:44:01 AM »

Nice photos DR Vixmom.

Jane

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 08:47:57 AM »

From DR Singdaw:
DR Jane - I don't miss meat at all. It's just fun posting and talking about food here on HHW.

;D  I don't miss it either.  I just wish more restaurants had a variety, or at least tofu, as a regular substitute for meat or chicken.  It is a very easy thing to do.

Jane

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2014, 08:50:48 AM »

From DR TCB:
The annoying thing was that the cruise line refused to admit that anything was wrong.

Now they admit it right away and bully everyone about regulations.  Don't dare get sea sick or they will say you have the virus and lock you in your room.

Jane

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2014, 08:52:15 AM »

DR Laura the Night Blooming Cactus is lovely.

Jane

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 08:56:40 AM »

I love a good trip to the track. Back in college, which was in Lexington, Ky., I would occasionally cut class and spend the afternoon at Keeneland. During the week, it was never crowded and the people watching was good as the race watching. It was also affordable, which was another draw.

Having recently been there I can picture you doing this.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2014, 09:06:01 AM »

Stewart racing now says that Tony will NOT race today.  Good call.

Jane

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2014, 09:10:52 AM »

I don't remember if I went to the Hollywood Race Track.  I went to Delmar once and to Santa Anita once, which is still open.

On one occasion I recall my father giving my brother our money to hold to bet.  I picked one horse that didn't win.  Before betting we would stand near the track and watch the horses walk by.  One horse stopped in front of me, turned his head and talked to me before moving on.  I insisted, and insisted, and insisted, this horse would win but since I had just picked a loser my brother refused to bet on the horse.  My father knew better as I was often correct when my instincts were that strong.  He bet on the long shot horse that talked to me.  We all went out to dinner after the races on the winning.  I walked away with nothing and was annoyed with my brother-lol
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up