Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU  (Read 4502 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2014, 05:05:04 PM »

I like the idea of the riverfront is Portland as I could walk all the way into the city.  I find it difficult to drive in traffic because of my shoulder, in fact I do not rent a car anymore when I go to LA for a family function without Keith.  I stay with my brother & take a taxi if I go to a function without him.  Last time I was down I didn't need to take the taxi as my cousin's wife, the one STILL in the hospital, drove me.

Jane

« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2014, 05:07:04 PM »

One thing for sure, wherever we go I will have to get rid of about half of my wardrobe.  I keep clothes forever and still wear them.  I also have clothes that were my mother's.  Downsizing is going to be very emotional for me as I am a hoarder and like the memories when I look at my belongings.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2014, 05:15:37 PM »

One thing for sure, wherever we go I will have to get rid of about half of my wardrobe.  I keep clothes forever and still wear them.  I also have clothes that were my mother's.  Downsizing is going to be very emotional for me as I am a hoarder and like the memories when I look at my belongings.

Write a book!  Take pictures of the clothes that you get rid of and then write a story for each to remind you of a special event that occurred while you were wearing the clothes...then you won't have to keep the actual items.

Problem solved! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2014, 05:31:57 PM »

It is not the same as touching and wearing the clothes.

Write a book!  Take pictures of the clothes that you get rid of and then write a story for each to remind you of a special event that occurred while you were wearing the clothes...then you won't have to keep the actual items.

Problem solved! :D

LOL This from a man who doesn't even keep a list of what he has in his collection of key rings ;)

George

« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2014, 07:05:31 PM »

A lull. ::)

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2014, 07:07:09 PM »

And now, it's time for me to leave work and go...away from work.  Today, we had our annual holiday potluck and it was pretty good.  I'm not as hungry as I normally would be at this time of the evening, but tummy's a little grumbly.  So, I'm off to forage for food.

Be back later. ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2014, 07:18:39 PM »

A. Lull, Proprietor. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2014, 07:26:47 PM »

My mother worked for the USO, Entertainment Division, during World War II.  She always told me that the story of Glen Miller dying in a plane crash over the English Channel was created to protect his publice image.  She said that she was told that he died in the bombing of a brothel in Paris.  In the last few years, I have seen more and more biographers going with that ending.

Why a plane crash then, not just a neutral building that was bombed?

A plane crash is more dramatic and romantic

Cillaliz

« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2014, 07:27:49 PM »

I sent in an adoption application for a rescue Schnauzer - hopefully a brother for DD Ben.  Waiting patiently for a response.

Good luck!  Rescues are often the best pets

Cillaliz

« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2014, 07:29:45 PM »

I didn't realize the restaurant with the good bean & rice burger was part of a chain.  Has anyone eaten the Rock Bottom Brewery?  They started in Colorado.

I've eaten at the Rock Bottom I Denver

Cillaliz

« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2014, 07:33:26 PM »

Thanks for the travel vibes.  We had about a 2 hour gap between the rain and the snow when the wind was blowing like crazy, so it dried the roads.  We didn't get much snow, just a skiff, but the roads remained dry so it was fine for driving.

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2014, 07:38:06 PM »

My client was waiting outside at 7:00 AM when I stopped to pick him up.  He speaks very little English so I practiced my Spanish all the way there (1 1/2 hours) and back (the same). The hearing was about 2 hours.  We don't know the outcome and won't for a long time as there are a limit on the number of people who can win these cases every year, so when they hit the limit you still do the hearing, the judge can write his ruling, but it's then sealed until more spots are available.   This is a last resort type of hearing that is very very very difficult to win.  So, I was glad there was no decision on the way home.  It may have been much more depressing.  And it was fun to hear his son on the phone so excited because papa was on his way home

Cillaliz

« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2014, 07:40:34 PM »

My client has only had three years of education in his life and doesn't read or write.  It was really fascinating to hear how beautiful he thinks the world is, how much his family means to him and just get a feel for his point of view.   It was a fun trip in the car and I'm glad I agreed to give him a ride

Cillaliz

« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2014, 07:43:10 PM »

I was beginning to thing I jumped the gun when I got my new lap top and that I should have waited.  But tonight I opened the old one and the plastic casing around the screen either came loose or broke.  I've snapped part of it closed and am transferring everything I can from the old computer to the new one.  There are lots of photos so it's slow going, but at least I've got the new laptop.    If I didn't have it, I"d be shopping for one tomorrow

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2014, 07:44:49 PM »

That is so interesting, DR Cillaliz. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Cillaliz

« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2014, 07:48:26 PM »

After we got back to town today, I took the afternoon off - well part of it. and went to Michael's Art Supplies.  I had so much fun making cards this weekend and it reminded me how much I always loved doing craft kits of all kinds, coloring, hooking rugs, doing needlepoint.   SO, I got a bunch of paint by numbers, a set of pastels, water colors, colored pencils and Markers.  and some really funky hipster coloring books.  They are not kiddy pictures, but some really cool things.  It's not high quality art, but I love doing it.  Frankly once it's done, I pretty much lose interest in it, but I have fun with them, so....now I have a stockpile that should get me through the winter.   I did some coloring tonight and started a very detailed color pencil by number, but it was too small and I couldn't see it very well, so I'll do the bigger ones first and get back to that later

Cillaliz

« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »

No problem Singdaw.  I really learn a lot from my clients.  This one was from El Salvador.  I really hope his two young citizen kids don't have to go there.  It's a very dangerous place right now

ChasSmith

« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2014, 07:59:04 PM »

I am thinking of moving to the bedroom at the opposite end of the house.  I am not sure what the tax ramifications are.....I will have to study the traffic situation as well.

Don't forget to read up on cost of living and the year-round climate, DR JRand64.  It just might offer an easier lifestyle.

Cillaliz

« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2014, 08:21:51 PM »

I am feeling very relieved that the past two days are over.  I had a ton of things to do that were weighing on my mind.  I still have a lot of work to do, but don't have the stress level I had before today.  So, now I can catch up and breathe. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2014, 09:15:19 PM »

Wow, no one is posting?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2014, 09:21:35 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Well, hello, Cilla.

Cillaliz

« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2014, 09:23:45 PM »

Hi Jeanne, how are you?

Cillaliz

« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2014, 09:24:27 PM »

Which reminds me.....health vibes to everyone

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2014, 09:25:59 PM »

I had a ton of things to do that were weighing on my mind.  I still have a lot of work to do, but don't have the stress level I had before today.  So, now I can catch up and breathe. 

I can really relate to this. That's how the last several months have been for me. I would have loved to take all of December off to just unwind from a very hectic year, but of course that wasn't possible. I am slowly getting caught up, though, and thus able to relax better and unwind. I still have things to do, but the important stuff is getting done and the rest is, well, less important.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2014, 09:26:45 PM »

Hi Jeanne, how are you?

I'm OK, thanks. How are you? Glad to see you're feeling less stressed and your trip today went well.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2014, 09:28:32 PM »

~ ~ ~ FEEL BETTER VIBES ~ ~ ~ for DRs TCB and Jennifer!!!!!!

Ditto. Health vibes to all.

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2014, 09:43:24 PM »

I'm doing much better.  I am going to take some time off during the next two weeks.  Not sure how much or when, but I'm going to do it

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »

You can find something nice here, believe me.

What is your opinion on this DR Jeanne?

I agree there are some lovely properties. Affordability is another manner. I guess it depends on your price range. Santa Monica is now very high-priced and there's little under $1M. A friend in the Hollywood Hills feels there's better value as you leave the Westside, but there's little in his area under $1M also. The nicer areas are just very expensive.

Unless you're planning to pay cash or are happy to rent, I suggest you talk to some lenders in the areas you're considering. When I was house-hunting a few years ago, I spoke to five or six different lenders. All were looking for applicants with earned income from regular jobs. Retirees, small-business people, or anyone with a fluctuating income was persona non grata. I was told, "We have no programs for you." When I brought up assets, he said flatly, "We don't look at assets." Dumbfounded, I reminded him that assets can produce income, such as dividends from blue-chip stocks. "Well, we might look at that." One could be a multimillionaire, but not qualify without a regular job. It's insanity, but that's how many lenders think. The economy is stronger now and some lenders may actually be lending, but if you'll want a loan don't assume it's like the pre-meltdown days. It isn't.

I found only one lender I'd consider talking to again. If you're interested, I'll go through my notes and pass that name on to you.

On a more positive note, you might be able to find something woodsy in Topanga or Malibu, while not being too far from family and friends.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2014, 09:51:26 PM »

I'm doing much better.  I am going to take some time off during the next two weeks.  Not sure how much or when, but I'm going to do it

Glad to hear it. That's what I'm doing, too.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2014, 09:52:14 PM »

Are you putting up a tree? Do the cats bother it?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up