Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CHRISTMAS WALTZ  (Read 4743 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE CHRISTMAS WALTZ
« Reply #150 on: December 25, 2014, 07:37:19 PM »

Oops. Missed that by one.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #151 on: December 25, 2014, 08:10:10 PM »

I have not caught up but hope to over teh next few days  but you have allbeen in my htoughts\

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

ChasSmith

« Reply #152 on: December 25, 2014, 08:53:22 PM »

The Olympic Drive In......Lucy and Bob Hope just went there in THE FACTS OF LIFE on MGM HD....

I am assuming it was a real place.

On the corner of Olympic and Bundy, long gone.  You'll find a long chapter in Benjamin Kritzer about Susan Pomeroy and Benjamin going to the Olympic.

I recall hearing of it, but I simply have no visual memory of it. The Studio Drive-in, yes; I remember it well. In high school I had a boyfriend who lived on Bundy a few blocks south of Santa Monica Blvd (and a few blocks north of Olympic), yet i still can't recall it. Was it gone by then, Bruce?

I've always known "of" the Olympic and others, but alas, the only drive-in I knew first hand in those parts was the Studio, which hung on for an amazing number of years.

ChasSmith

« Reply #153 on: December 25, 2014, 08:54:08 PM »

I have not caught up but hope to over teh next few days  but you have allbeen in my htoughts\

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

And thou, in our htoughts\  [sic]  as well, DR vixmom.  Hope you and yours are well!!!

ChasSmith

« Reply #154 on: December 25, 2014, 08:55:42 PM »

So.  What next? 

Boxing Day!    :D

Cillaliz

« Reply #155 on: December 25, 2014, 09:32:42 PM »

just stopped in to say good night. Christmas went well and after speaking to mom tonight I really believe I left at exactly the right time. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #156 on: December 25, 2014, 09:33:32 PM »

all is quiet on the cat front. there hasn't been one fight since I got home

Cillaliz

« Reply #157 on: December 25, 2014, 09:35:23 PM »

the family was surprised to hear last night was the first night I spent away from home in 2014. I really am becoming a homebody, lol

Cillaliz

« Reply #158 on: December 25, 2014, 09:35:51 PM »

time to sleep.   night

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: December 25, 2014, 10:25:37 PM »

I'm pretty sure the Olympic was gone by the mid-1960s - I can look it up in my newspaper movie sections from that era.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: December 25, 2014, 10:27:09 PM »

Back from a wonderful Christmas party at Cissy Wechter's.  Great food and hung out with some wonderful folks, including David and Barbara and their great kids Zach and Daniel.  I'd really only intended to stay two hours but I stayed over four.  Lots o' laughs and the discovery of a horrifyingly awful new word of today - it will be the title of the notes, trust me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: December 25, 2014, 10:29:23 PM »

I tried not to overeat and I really didn't, save for the third helping of specially-made-for-me kugel, which was GREAT.  Otherwise, a little ham, a little turkey, a little salad, a little cranberry, a little string bean and spinach casserole.  No bread, no stuffing, so that was good.  For dessert, one chocolate chip cookie, a small slice of a chocolate chip cake thing, and a tiny bit of Barbara's trifle.  I just had a grand time.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #162 on: December 25, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »

Today, the whole family went to my sister's house for the day.  I got back a couple of hours ago, but I've been watching some TV, doing laundry and burning DVDs. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #163 on: December 25, 2014, 11:18:47 PM »

Here is a picture of my Christmas present, a beautiful "eco-friendly" watch. It needs no battery as long as it's exposed to light, natural or artificial. I love it.

That's a great looking, watch, Ben!  May it give you years of accurate time keeping!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #164 on: December 25, 2014, 11:27:27 PM »

Today is my mother's 83rd birthday.

A Very Happy Birthday to JRand's Mother!! :D

George

« Reply #165 on: December 25, 2014, 11:29:55 PM »

I am home from INTO THE WOODS, a show I really dislike.  I still remember from the original production that stupid moment where the dead giant, looking much like a 20-foot bowling ball in a wig, toppled over and I thought, bad finish to a second-rate Sondheim show.  Thanks to the cult, he's believed only to have produced works of monumental genius, but I still think INTO THE WOODS is a second- or third-tier one.  I still have no idea what the hell that idiotic number "The Last Midnight" is all about.  It's a dud, one of the worst things ever penned by the deified Sondheim. so of course i'm going to hell, but "Giants In The Sky." "The steps of the Palace," "Agony," and other numbers in the show are quite wonderful.

That said, I loved the movie, which is a big improvement over the stage show; it's not nearly as noisy, and the second act body count is lower. To me, the two halves still mesh badly, but the cast is really fine, and James Corden, whom I loved in ONE MAN, TWO GUV'NORS, is really wonderful.  I never felt that Chip Zien and Joanna Gleason felt part of the Grimm locale; they were far too urban New York Jew; it was hard to believe he's Rapunzel's brother.  Corden and Emily Blunt seem to be living in the same vicinity as Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, and the others. Speaking of the rest of the cast, I loved the boy who played Jack, Tracey Ulman as his mother, and the Red Riding Hood.  I'm on the fence about Anna Kendrick, but I thought the princes were both great, and came off nicer than they did in the stage show.  It's not a pleasant show; the authors are very mean to their characters in Act Two

"Agony" got a big round of applause from the audience.  I liked the costume and set design very much, and the musical adaptation is quite wonderful.  i think giving Tunick more than 12-15 instruments to write for gave the score a lot of enchantment missing from the stage show, and I was moved at the end. 

I still think "The Last Midnight" is complete dreck.

Thanks for the report, Larry.  I want to see it, but I don't know how soon I'll be able to.  At least, I probably won't be able to until next week.

George

« Reply #166 on: December 25, 2014, 11:41:35 PM »

Party time!

DR GEORGE.....I use Mozilla Thunderbird as the POP email for my COMCAST email, because the COMCAST is very unwieldy.

It's easy to set up, and is one of the few POP email servers still available.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Thanks, Jrand.  I'll check this out.

George

« Reply #167 on: December 25, 2014, 11:41:43 PM »

But before I go, here is a shot of our small, tasteful Christmas tree on Long Island. Anthony and I put it up yesterday afternoon.

Very nice, Ben!

George

« Reply #168 on: December 25, 2014, 11:44:44 PM »

Well, I need to go to bed now.  I have to get up early because my sister and I are leaving to visit our cousin in Oregon.  It'll be a long drive to the south end of Oregon from here.  Hopefully, there won't be any problems during drive.  I guess there could be some rock slides on one of the highways that we need to go on. :o

George

« Reply #169 on: December 25, 2014, 11:46:35 PM »

I'm going to bring my netpad.  The browser is very slow, but it should be okay to use it during the weekend...hopefully.

George

« Reply #170 on: December 25, 2014, 11:47:05 PM »

Good night, all.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up