Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: PLOT TWISTS  (Read 13257 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:PLOT TWISTS
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2004, 08:02:22 PM »

Danise - Glad to see you weren't waving at us from under one of those trees.
And how sad for those beautiful trees.
When I lived in Boulder there were quite a few terrible wind storms. Especially when I moved to an area just at the foot of the mountains. One storm took off part of my roof -- which was sort of nice actually, because the insurance gave me a gorgeous new roof. The damage to the trees always broke my heart. The morning after the storm was always like looking over a battlefield with fallen tree soldiers.

Panni

« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2004, 08:04:05 PM »

And one for Mahler.

I must do some serious reading now.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2004, 08:06:04 PM »

We actually got back to humid summer here today once the clouds cleared away. I put on shorts and t-shirt again for the first time in days. This is typical September around here: cool days and warm, himid days alternate all month. But I have to say I'm truly ready for fall weather. It's my favorite season.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2004, 08:07:07 PM »

Tomorrow I may actually be able to finish THE IRON GIANT.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2004, 08:46:52 PM »

DR Danise - Isadora Duncan was a famous dancer - the mother of modern dance, to many - who died when a long scarf she was wearing got caught in the wheel of a convertible
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2004, 09:36:10 PM »

No posts in an hour! Skammen.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #156 on: September 28, 2004, 09:42:14 PM »

I was almost about to say the same thing!

Skammen!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #157 on: September 28, 2004, 09:53:22 PM »

Storm report:  Hardly any rain from Jeanne here in Rehoboth Beach.  However, we had errands to run up in Dover, and then over to the Grandlads' house to deliver Halloween stuff (a month early!).  On the road to Dover, the rain began lightly.  By the time we got to the shopping center, it was worthy of a dash inside from the car.  At the Grandlads', we were in a downpour.

And, of course, when we got back home, everything was back to a light sprinkling.

And I don't miss earthquakes.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #158 on: September 28, 2004, 10:46:40 PM »

Another hour...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: September 28, 2004, 10:59:54 PM »

In an incredible plot twist, all the late-night denizens have been turned into a colony of WUSSBURGERS.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2004, 11:02:34 PM »

No posts in an hour! Skammen.

I was almost about to say the same thing!

Skammen!

Skammen, schmammen!  It's quality, not quantity that makes HHW so special! ;D

Starting tonight (after I finally leave my house) I will be house-sitting for a co-worker of a friend of mine.  Several months ago, I house-sat for the aforementioned friend and she recommended me to her co-worker.  Rita and Chuck will be in Europe for almost an entire month!  The real problem is not that they don't have Internet access, but that they have a dial-up modem and I don't know what to do...they never showed me how to dial in!  Of course, I might be able to figure it out when I get over there, but then again, I might not.  I'll give you a fuller report (a Little Night Music reference!) after I actually look at it.  So, I'm off until tomorrow morning at the latest, when I get to work.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2004, 11:08:02 PM »

For those eager to see TIGER CRUISE again... It will be playing at the most convenient time of 3 AM next Monday/Tuesday. Pajama Partay!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #162 on: September 28, 2004, 11:08:06 PM »

Good evening!

Well, I'm about to turn in myself, but before I go...

Who can post the LA Times review of The Ten Commandments?  -Why can't it be a free site like other newspapers?!?!?

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #163 on: September 28, 2004, 11:10:16 PM »

I just had a bowl of cereal with mixed berries to feed my blueberry addiction. I should probably just shoot it straight into my veins.

Panni

« Reply #164 on: September 28, 2004, 11:11:52 PM »

Who can post the LA Times review of The Ten Commandments?  

It wasn't in this morning.

Panni

« Reply #165 on: September 28, 2004, 11:24:49 PM »

For Jose...

September 29, 2004

THEATER REVIEW - EXCERPTS
Fire, plague and much wandering
*'Commandments,' with synthesizers and leggy slaves, avoids disaster rank with a bit of polish.

Running Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes

By Mark Swed , Times Staff Writer

"I am not eloquent," Moses says in the Bible. "I am slow of speech. I am slow of tongue." He doesn't say "I am slow of song," but we can assume as much.

In that, if not much else, "The Ten Commandments," the new pop music spectacular, or at least spectacle, at the Kodak Theatre pretty much gets it right. Val Kilmer, in case you didn't know, is Moses.

Indeed, "The Ten Commandments" is such effective theater that, after 2 1/2 hours of cheesy stagecraft and innocuous, blaring upbeat music, we don't just understand Moses, don't just aspire to be Moses, we actually become Moses. That is to say, "The Ten Commandments" has the power to leave a epiphany-seeking theatergoer speechless.

But that is not to say that there aren't pleasures to be had in watching the many leggy slaves in revealing costumes delicately climbing ladders and seductively squirming under the heel and whip of their Egyptian masters. It is not to say that there aren't goose bumps to be raised when the synthesizers in the pit hit really low notes at really loud volumes so that sound waves have the not-unpleasant force of pummeling wind. Nor is it to say that, if you happen to be sitting close to the stage, as I was, when a furious burst of flame tells us it's plague time, you feel its searing heat and see spots all through intermission.

..."The Ten Commandments" is, at heart, the vision, fantasy and perhaps spiritual undertaking of a popular fashion designer, Max Azria, founder of the design house BCBG Max Azria. "In 2001, Max saw the musical 'Les Dix Commandments' in France and knew he had to bring it to the United States," his credits tell us.

"Les Dix Commandments," a popular musical in France is, of course, French. Feeling the need to Americanize the show, the Tunisian-born French-trained designer, who has demonstrated a sure touch in finding an American accent for his French fashions, remade the whole thing — new music, new lyrics, new staging, Val Kilmer and, of course, Azria's own costumes.

To his credit, Azria has done more than produce the world's most extravagant, biblically themed fashion show, even if Patrick Leonard's feel-good songs are fine runway material and the show has been mounted in a mall — the Kodak being at Hollywood & Highland, where BCBG is well represented.

...Despite aspects of staging ineptitude and disappointing special effects, "The Ten Commandments" has a slick polish and just enough punch and too few laughs to keep it from being one of those historical disasters that you just have to see.

OK, perhaps the pelvis-wiggling Bedouins are worth a footnote.

The main function of "The Ten Commandments," which is through-composed, is to simplify the story of Moses into easily digestible emotional bits, into songs and dances. And for the most part, it does that effectively. When Moses is selected to lead his people, he sings, what else, "Why Me?" When the Red Sea parts, the Hebrews sing "Nothing we can do but take the leap into the deep." Maribeth Derry wrote the lyrics.

Indeed, given that there is no dialogue and everyone sings similarly styled music, "The Ten Commandments" does become, in a funny way, less a story of individuals than a saga of larger emotions. The cast is huge, some 50 strong, and everyone is beautiful. Few singers or dancers distinguish themselves with a personal sound or style. High notes are calculated to get applause. Adam Lambert, as Joshua, does the best in "Is Anybody Listening?" It is also the best song.

The Egyptian unit set is one of the show's least clever aspects. Large video screens show us the desert and the raging waters of the Red Sea. The burning bush is wheeled out on an especially fake-looking rock, its two handlers not well disguised in the back, gingerly operating the fire. The plagues are shadowy projections. The Red Sea parting is unimpressive — accomplished by fog, billowy curtains, video and a stage elevator.

...Kilmer is no Charlton Heston. Reduced only to song, which he sings in an earnest, breathy voice, he seems little more than a handsome stick figure. Clearly visible, at least from two different seats I tried, were monitors scrolling his lines for him.

...Robert Iscove's direction is of the traffic cop school. Travis Payne's choreography is a happy collection of clichés, from Egyptian hand-gestures to leaping orgyists dancing around the golden calf.

Oh yes, the Ten Commandments. They are the anticlimax. With the hour getting late, the action speeds up. No time to see Moses receive them. He simply returns from the mountain with tablets in hand. Synthesizers in the pit quiet to churchy treacle. A boy soprano (Graham Phillips) nervously intones "The Ten." Few are intelligible, although I got "It's never right to take another life." Everyone jumps for joy, in a clap-along finale.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #166 on: September 29, 2004, 12:40:05 AM »

Hey, I can still post here! :o I'm at the house where I'll be house-sitting and they do have Internet access.  It's supposed to be DSL, but I gotta tell ya, it's pretty damned slow!  Of course, I'm assuming that a lot of that has to do with the fact that they have a very slow computer...even just typing in the message box takes a long time!  I would type the letters and the cursor would move, but there would be no letters showing!  Only after I stopped typing for a few seconds would the letters actually appear.  Freaky!  Anyway, I typed this message in Word and it seems to work fine...finely?...well.  So I copied and pasted this message into the message box.  Isn't that exciting?  Isn't that just too too??  AND I posted this in last night’s (Tuesday's) day AFTER BK started the new thread.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up