Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: GUMBOOTS IN THE UKRAINE  (Read 12378 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
GUMBOOTS IN THE UKRAINE
« on: January 24, 2015, 12:40:30 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes featured Gumboots in the Ukraine, a story of the gay old bohemian days of yore, and now it is time for you to post until the day old bohemian cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: GUMBOOTS IN THE UKRAINE
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 12:41:12 AM »

And the word of the day is: RAILBIRD!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 12:59:48 AM »

First post after BK!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Michael

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 03:47:21 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 03:52:08 AM »

I will report back how my day went based "on actual true events"
Never stop dreaming.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 04:04:45 AM »

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 04:30:18 AM »

So... THIS is happening a few blocks away from my house. It's called "Crashed Ice." The track starts just under the rose window of the Cathedral, and winds its way to downtown. Four skaters at a time head down the track at 60mph. 120,000 people come out to see it. I am content to watch it on TV and wonder at the insanity.      :)

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Laura

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 04:49:26 AM »

Good morning. I spent yesterday hiking with a future in-law.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Laura

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 04:49:49 AM »

I took my camera all the way, but realized I had left the memory card in the computer.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 05:05:33 AM »

Good morning, all!

Where the fat hell is winter?  I am sleeping under a sheet in an apartment so goddam hot that I have two fans blowing on me.  I hate it.

So, I have company today for a late Christmas celebration, and I have an apartment to tidy and vacuum.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:49:25 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 05:13:05 AM »

I've been listening to HONEYMOON IN VEGAS; I like the lyrics better than the score, and the composer's predilection for piano is a little overbearing; it too often sounds artificially raised to a sound level hotter than ears can stand.  The score also suffers from the lack of what used to be a Broadway orchestra with a real string section. The constant brass-reeds "Vegas-y" sound gets overbearing.

I don't know who orchestrated what, but the composer who also did the vocal and dance arrangements is now a Tony winning orchestrator and I'd be curious to know which are his, but I suspect my favorites are by my friend Larry Blank.  The orchestration of the Entr'Acte is so much better than the Overture, I think they should have switched places.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:56:53 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 05:14:19 AM »

Good morning, all!

Where the fat hell is winter?  I am sleeping under a sheet in an apartment so goddam hot that I have ywo fans blowing on me.  I hate it.

DR Elmore, I am sorry to tell you that you have entered menopause.
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 05:49:49 AM »

Good morning, all!

Where the fat hell is winter?  I am sleeping under a sheet in an apartment so goddam hot that I have ywo fans blowing on me.  I hate it.

DR Elmore, I am sorry to tell you that you have entered menopause.

Better that than senility.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 05:50:57 AM »

I saw a song from HONEYMOON IN VEGAS on television on Friday.....I think on the Today Show.  The lead guy (not Tony Danza) and a lot of Elvis impersonators were singing a song about jumping out of an airplane.

It was okay....but the lead Elvis wasn't so hot.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 06:09:53 AM »

Good morning, all.

Another day begins. 

And so does another nor'easter, and I am not at home to receive it.  A pity.  I don't know their schedule, but I hope it doesn't interfere with the Vixfamily's plans for escape.

Coffee!

ChasSmith

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 06:11:06 AM »

That's all for now.  Happy weekend to all!

Ben

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 06:18:03 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Kerry

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 07:19:59 AM »

It's Saturday.  Enjoy it!
I like boat races.

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 08:05:13 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Sunny and cold here in SW Ohio - my favorite kind of winter day.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 08:07:03 AM »

Watching College Game Day on ESPN because they're broadcasting from Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor - Go, Blue!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 08:38:36 AM »

I saw that Vegas number with the Elvises - I thought it was as bad a number as I've ever seen and just so typical of today's musical theater in its sound and staging.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 08:41:16 AM »

I'm up after a ridiculous night - I knew I wasn't going to get enough sleep - fell asleep around two and then woke up at four-thirty because LA has decided to have a hurricane or something - crazy winds and they kept tripping the side light of my neighbor, which shines brightly into my bedroom window.  And the noise.  The pool this morning is filled with so much crap it's not even funny and I'll have to attend to that later.  It finally quieted down enough to fall asleep around six so maybe I got five hours of sleep - not what I needed and please send excellent vibes and xylophones for no getting sick because three of my cast are sick.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 08:43:03 AM »

No Sick Vibes for MR BK & Cast.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 08:46:32 AM »

I'm feeling a bit under the weather at the moment, but i'm hoping it's just the morning meds.  I do not need to be sick, much less infect my guests.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 09:15:51 AM »

No sick vibes for DR ELMORE as well.

FJL

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 09:17:15 AM »

Cooling off vibes for Larry!  Isn't there a way you can just turn off the heat at night?

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 09:17:23 AM »

No getting sick for BK, DR Elmore, and everyone else!

FJL

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2015, 09:18:26 AM »

Wellness vibes for BK from NY as well!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2015, 09:18:36 AM »

Two amusing things this morning - I made a post on a theater board where I only post infrequently because I cannot stand these PC putzes who go on about how the film of Gigi (and presumably Colette's story, which I've doubt they've read) is "creepy" and that they've always found it "creepy."  Well, you know, in 1958 it wasn't creepy to anyone because somehow back in those halcyon days audiences understood context and when a story was taking place.  Radical I know.  But today, they cannot understand anything without viewing it through their own little PC world view where context has gone completely missing.  I said we may as well retire Showboat, ban Lolita, get rid of Carousel and its "spousal abuse" and on and on and on - it's just so noxious.  We must revise Annie Get Your Gun into a stupid, humorless show within a show and not offend ANYONE, as if anything in that show is offensive if viewing it in the context of a) when it was written and b) when it takes place.

So, a couple of folks agreed and thanked me for making the post and a couple disagreed, but only one came after me in a, well, shall we be kind and say personal and obnoxious way.  Now, sometimes I'm a bit slow on the uptake, so I responded with what I felt was a good post.  They then responded and got really personal so of course I think we all know who it was.  A quick perusal of that board showed no other posts by this person, and since they refer to a post I made about the film of Nine, which is how many years ago, I think we all know what's what.

FJL

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »

And for Larry, too, of course!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up