Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TRY TO REMEMBER  (Read 15582 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:TRY TO REMEMBER
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2004, 08:46:56 AM »

Good Morning!

Boy has it been slow going for me this morning.  I tried to get up early to take my car in, but it just simply wasn't going to happen.  After not sleeping that much yesterday - and probably along with my supposed "jet lag" - I just really needed the sleep.  And probably will take a nap this afternoon.  My throat is feeling a little funny, but I think it's just a sign that I need to rest and relax while I can right now.  -And I'm sure my "East Coast" allergies are also playing their part.  In any case...  As for the car, there's always tomorrow.

As for the Topic of the Day:

Speaking of The Tonight Show - I had always hoped to make it to a taping of "The Tonight Show" when Johnny Carson was the host.  He was late night TV for me while I was growing up.  Of course, since I was under the age of 18, I probably would not have been allowed into the studio for the live tapings, but I really would have liked to see one of those shows in person.

Going a little further back in time...

Leonard Bernstein's "last-minute" conducting debut with the New York Philharmonic.

Vladimir Horowitz at Carnegie Hall - His debut, his "return"... any concert.

...And a few others I can't really bring to the forefront of my brain my right now...
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2004, 09:00:58 AM »

My time machine would take me back to see Olivier, Gielgud, and Richardson in their prime live on stage.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2004, 09:05:37 AM »

Kitty Carlisle Hart and Brooke Astor are amazing. KCH just turned 94 (!) and Brooke Astor is over 100 and they both look and sound like youngsters. I don't know how KCH's singing voice has held up but they are both wonderful examples of living a full life in old age.

Didn't KCH just do a cabaret act up there?  I remember hearing something about it in the past week or so.

Leno's successor is Conan O'Brien. Someone I have not "gotten" But I don't watch late night television anyway so it's of little concern to me.

I thought O'Brien was awful in his first year or so on Late Nite, but now I think he's incredibly funny.  Very edgy and off the wall.  And his guests don't seem to mind and mostly join in on the fun.  I'm not sure how he will work out doing the Tonight Show, though, since that show has pretty much morphed into just another celebrity publicity stop under Leno's tenure.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2004, 09:06:58 AM »

I feel quite punk this morning, so my only contribution for now will be the following factoid. Someone mentioned Steve and Eydie... Steve Lawrence's real name is Sidney Leibowitz; Eydie Gorme's real name is Edith Gormezano.

And lemme guess.  Both of Hungarian ancestry.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2004, 09:07:01 AM »

I think Conan is one thousand times funnier than Jay Leno, and 2009 can't get here soon enough for me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2004, 09:09:15 AM »

DR Ben,

As a kid I was a big Jerry Lewis fan (times have changed). My dad took me to see Jerry Lewis at the Palace. Opening the show was a young female singer named Eydie Gorme. I was so eager to see Jerry, that I remember wishing she'd just hurry up.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2004, 09:10:01 AM »

I also meant to mention last night that the second half of the LOST pilot was amazing - full of surprises, unexpected revelations, and suspense. Highly recommended! There is so much to explore on the island, and the people that we've met all seem to have fascinating back stories, only some of which we were shown last night. There is easily enough grist for a season-long mill based on what we've been shown thus far.

For those who haven't indulged but are curious, the entire two hour pilot is being shown this Saturday night on ABC.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2004, 09:12:08 AM »

Brooklyn ancestry (Sidney)

Jay

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2004, 09:13:18 AM »

I think it would be interesting to take the time machine to Paris of the '30s and see and hear firsthand what the Josephine Baker phenomenon was all about.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2004, 09:13:24 AM »

CharlesPogue, I kept meaning to post last night I really wasn’t expecting an answer to my question-it was a joke.  I really could not picture you responding to those posts. ;D

Ann is back!!  Job well done Bruce. :)

I still haven’t finished reading last nights posts-but Echo awaits her walk.

I finally booked, well Keith finally booked me into a hotel in NY-the Wellington at 871 7th Street on the corner of 55th Street. :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2004, 09:26:07 AM »

Can anyone here convert an image on a pdf file to a jpeg I can post here?

Jay

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2004, 09:29:55 AM »

...the Wellington at 871 7th Street on the corner of 55th Street. :D

I do believe you mean Seventh Avenue, not 7th Street.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2004, 09:33:46 AM »

Breathes there a man with soul so dead that he would not fly back in time to see Judy at the Palace?

I'd also like to see Piaf in some smoke-filled café, and Brel, most certainly.

I didn't see Babs at Bon Soir, but I did see her first LA concert in the Shrine Auditorium, right after her first LP was released.  When she was still more of a cult thing than a Big Star.  From the third row yet.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2004, 09:40:48 AM »

I finally booked, well Keith finally booked me into a hotel in NY-the Wellington at 871 7th Street on the corner of 55th Street. :D

The Wellington is fun, and not too far a walk from Times Square.  Nice rooms, and you can usually upgrade at check-in.  It's also just a block from Carnegie Hall, and just a few blocks down from Central Park.

A lot of foreign tour operators use that hotel.  The couple of times I've stayed there, I've been amazed at the virtual UN waiting in the lobby, and even more amazed at the desk staff's "language base".
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2004, 09:41:30 AM »

And speaking of Piaf...

She didn't show up when I invited her to my party in Paris.  Didn't even send her regrets...
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2004, 09:48:30 AM »

Oh... The New York Times review of the 10Cs came out in today's edition - I think I mentioned this last night - ???

In any case, I don't think I've seen such universal pans of a show.  And everyone seems to panning the same things.  I guess that just goes to show how "obvious" the bad elements are.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2004, 09:58:46 AM »

Can anyone here convert an image on a pdf file to a jpeg I can post here?

BK--you might be able to do this yourself.

Open the pdf and scroll to the image you want to convert.

Hit the "Ctrl" and "Print Scrn" buttons.

Open whatever you normally use to view jpegs and see if there is a paste function (should be under Edit on the menu.)

Then do a Save As and change the file type to jpg.

Finally, you will probably need to crop the image from the surrounding screen print.

If this doesn't work, e-mail me the pdf and I'll gladly convert it for you.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 10:04:16 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2004, 10:02:41 AM »

Lenny Bruce would have been interesting to see.  And Nichols & May and Woody Allen during their stand up years.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2004, 10:03:39 AM »

I saw Judy twice in person and it was like two different people.  The first time I saw her was shortly after her series proved not to be the bonnanza CBS hoped for.  This concert was at Chicago's original McCormack Place and since Judy liked to sing late it didn't start until something like 10:00.  Her opening act (Peter Allen and his "brother") turned me off to Allen so much that I never even bothered seeing BOY FROM OZ.  Judy finally came out, sang a couple of songs and then it was intermission.  The second half she was better, but still not good and she even flubbed the lyrics to "Over the Rainbow".  A few years later, I saw her at the Palace and that time it was everything I had hoped or imagined.  I was in the crush of people who was drawn to the stage by her magnetic power at the end of the show and I even got to shake her hand and speak to her.  What a difference from the first time I saw her.

Regarding Jay Leno's successor, I haven't watched the "Tonight" show since guests were booked to plug their latest projects, not for their talent like the guests when Steve Allen or Jack Paar hosted.  It has now become one long infomercial.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2004, 10:12:26 AM »

Landlord Update:  My landlord's new assistant - who, as it turns out, just relocated from L.A. - just came over with the contractor to look at the various things that have been in need of repair - some for over two years at this point.  It looks like things will be getting fixed!  YEAH!!!  The big project will be redoing the floor in the bathroom - hmm, that seems to be going around.  Hopefully, they'll get that done while I'm in Houston. ;)

And we'll finally be getting a new screen door for the back door!  -Well, not "new" since there was never one there to begin with... Well, the hinges are still there, but not the screen door.
Make Your Own Luck.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2004, 10:35:01 AM »

The Wellington is actually around the corner, basically, from my old stomping grounds, Columbia Artists Management.  Somewhere in its bowels there used to be an audition room/hall.  I remember the first time I was booking someone's audition for something or other, and was told that it was at the Wellington, I actually did one of those double takes, where you pull the receiver from your ear (this was long before the "headset" years), looked at it, and asked, somewhat incredulously, "The Wellington??!??"

It is also around the corner from the former Russian Tea Room, which of course was slightly to the left of Carnegie Hall.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2004, 10:35:19 AM »

Good screen door vibes to DR Jose.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2004, 10:51:17 AM »

Landlord/Apartment Update #2:  We're getting a new refrigerator on Tuesday!!!  No more condensation falling down on my food and eventually out onto the kitchen floor!  Will wonders never cease?!?!?!?  -Let's hope not.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2004, 10:54:18 AM »

The Wellington is actually around the corner, basically, from my old stomping grounds, Columbia Artists Management.  Somewhere in its bowels there used to be an audition room/hall.  I remember the first time I was booking someone's audition for something or other, and was told that it was at the Wellington, I actually did one of those double takes, where you pull the receiver from your ear (this was long before the "headset" years), looked at it, and asked, somewhat incredulously, "The Wellington??!??"

It is also around the corner from the former Russian Tea Room, which of course was slightly to the left of Carnegie Hall.

It's actually a nice ballroom.

And barber shop and barber at The Wellington were featured on Letterman a few years ago as part of a running gag.  You can see the pictures taped to the barber shop door.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2004, 10:54:38 AM »

There are actually two nightclub acts I would LOVE to have seen...the #1 being Mae West's nightclub act that she had in the 1950s with her treasure trove of muscle beach beefcake...many of my interviewees were a part of her show...Gordon Mitchell, Reg Lewis, Mark Forest, and Mickey Hargitay! It would have been a blast to see that show and I understand it was quite funny.

Ms. Joi Lansing also had a successful nightclub act in the late 60s which I would have enjoyed seeing as I just adore her!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2004, 10:56:11 AM »

Funny you should ask... Somebody in the family once told me that Steve aka Syd is somehow related to us. He actually resembles my cousin, Janos - so it's not totally impossible. But I have serious doubts. I've never bothered to track it down.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2004, 10:58:05 AM »

Good screen door vibes to DR Jose.

Thank you!

And the new handy-man will also be planing down our current door since right now we literally have to slam it shut to get it to close (all the humidity lately)... and to get it to open... ugh..  I know one of these days we're gonna end up pulling the door knob off.  -Of course, coming home late at night, and then having to slam the door shut is so considerate of the neighbors.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2004, 11:15:06 AM »

DR Stuart, the Houston Grand Opera used to audition in the space in the back of the Wellington's first floor.  We auditioned BABES IN TOYLAND there in 1990.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2004, 11:27:22 AM »

I have been remiss, oh so remiss.  So:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO DEAR READER JOSE'S FATHER[/move]

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD FOOT AND LEG VIBES TO DEAR READER ELMORE[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD TOE VIBES TO DEAR WRITER BRUCE[/move]

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD MOUSELESS VIBES TO DEAR READER JOSE[/move]

(Maybe your mouse should get together with DR Jason's?)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 11:28:24 AM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2004, 11:27:29 AM »

To build this rhyme we'll need more engineers
And cool orange balm, or myrrh.
For when you're building rhymes THIS difficult
More injuries may occur.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up