Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OCTOBERFEST  (Read 16372 times)

Ben

Re:OCTOBERFEST
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2004, 08:17:36 AM »

Well, I can't leave us dangling here like this at the end of Page 1.

Poof, we've moved on.

To Page 2.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2004, 08:19:18 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - NUNCRACKERS (OCR) : yes, once again this week it's on the player. I will be auditioning for potentially two different productions of the show over the next two weeks.

DVR - last night's WILL & GRACE

DVD - PEYTON PLACE
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2004, 08:23:24 AM »

WEL mentioning DECEMBER BRIDE reminded me how much I loved this show. I also met a writer on-line a couple of weeks ago who's doing a biography of Verna Felton. Has been granted all her papers by her estate, and though many people might not know who she is, I for one can't wait to read about this wonderfully funny character actress.

And even if you never saw DECEMBER BRIDE, many of you may know her from her voice work in Disney cartoons including the fairy godmother in CINDERELLA and good fairy Flora (the one who preferred pink) in SLEEPING BEAUTY.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2004, 08:34:42 AM »

Noel, is this the Circle-in-the-Square theatre school that arose (or stayed around, I'm not sure) out of the ashes of the old Circle-in-the-Square Theatre Company?

No, the Circle-in-the-Square Theatre School is alive and kicking.  It's been in continual operation for over 40 years and shows every indication that it will continue.

You're correct that its sister organization, the Circle-in-the-Square Theatre Company, died in the late 1990s.

No, the school I'm obliquely referring to is far more famous (as a theatre company, not a school), but, since all the students haven't heard the annoucement yet and we're still trying to get people to sign up for our final performance class, I can't mention the name.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2004, 09:06:48 AM »

Elmore thank you for the background on the Wellington.  I may see someone famous there but it doesn’t mean I will recognize the someone.   ;D

Panni was the photo taken with your new camera?  The poster looks great.

Bruce, while browsing through a book store I would pick up your new book and check it out, and of course purchase it.  Nice cover and title. :D

It has been interesting reading the comments regarding the debate.  So far we have only watched the first hour.  For the first half hour it seems to us that Bush was winning.  Honestly, we don’t like either of these people.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2004, 09:20:44 AM »

Keith and I were still in our pajamas this morning, just doing work around the house before getting dressed when our thoughts were interrupted by the doorbell.  :-* We completely forgot someone was coming to do work inside this morning.  Lucky for us the doorbell is at the bottom of our long driveway, with a gate.  By the time the car was up the driveway we were dressed and I was clearing out the area he is now working in.  ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2004, 09:25:06 AM »

DR DIT, I love that SONG from DAMES AT SEA.

Now I'll probably be singing it all day. :)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2004, 09:29:59 AM »

DR Jennifer,

If you're singing it all day, just be careful when you get to the line, "Where are my rubbers?"

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2004, 09:32:12 AM »

Media Check:

CD: Now That's What I Call Arabia volume 1 and 2( a compilation of current pop hits from Arabian-ish countries)

DVD: Earthworm Tractors (1936) starring comedian Joe E. Brown. I really enjoy Joe E. Brown, but this was not one of his best films, unfortunately!

VHS: Various Dick Foran westerns

And the Bollywood movie for this weekend (which I have already watched) is:

Dil Apna Aur Preet Parayee (1960). Story of a nurse who falls in love with a married doctor (whose wife is quite vicious!).  Very good move with some wonderful tunes, it stars Raj Kumar and Meena Kumari who starred in JRand54's favorite Bollywood film Pakeezah!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 09:32:41 AM by MBarnum »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2004, 09:56:18 AM »

The Wellington, never stayed there, but I had friends who did when I was living in NY in 1969.  Here's a question: Whatever happened to Beef Wellington?  It was quite popular when I was growing up (and quite pricey) and I had it several times and loved it.  I haven't recalled seeing it on a menu in the last twenty years.

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2004, 09:56:25 AM »

I spoke to Canada Post yesterday and they are sending me a check for $25.  My brother-in-law's sister has just moved to Iqualuit (WAY NORTH of Quebec in Nunavut). And her postal code does not appear in my post office's system.

However, it is in the Canada post website's system and when I calculated the price of a parcel i sent to her, I got $25, but when I got to the post office they got $50 (they had to use the other Iqaluit PO BOX postal code).

The woman from Canada Post said that she would contact my post office and get the new postal code put in the system. And that she would send me a check.

The thing is, and I didn't want to ask ... why didn't she wonder WHY the price would be double from one PO building to the next. THEY ARE NEXT DOOR TO EACH OTHER.

I mean technically I knew I would win my point, because when she punched in the dimensions and the correct postal code she got $25.  But inside I was dying to find out, why one building would be one price, and next door would be double.

I can't believe it never occured to her to try to find this out.  Anyhow I don't care, as long as the one I"m sending it to is less.  But how ridiculous.  Now i just have to hope that the postal code gets put in the system before I have to send up the Christmas box.

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2004, 09:57:37 AM »

DR Jose or any other DRs in the area, will any of you be going to see LaChiusa's new musical in DC, THE HIGHEST YELLOW?  Have you heard anything about it?

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2004, 10:03:19 AM »

I don't think I've ever had beef wellington.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2004, 10:10:31 AM »

And Verna Felton did a lot of radio too... she played Red Skelton's Grandmother and Dennis Day's mother among other things.

I don't know if it's still in print, but for the 50th Anniversary of the original SHOW BOAT opening, Miles Kruger wrote a wonderful book which was a history of the show.  There is a chart listing songs added and subtracted to and from all major productions and films to that date.  I'd love to see an updated new edition since there have been 2 Broadway revisals and a television version since the original book was published.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2004, 10:23:38 AM »

Whatever happened to Beef Wellington?  

Beef Wellington is the specialty of the house at a lovely bistro in Green-wich Village (ooooh, an ON THE TOWN/WONDERFUL TOWN double reference!).  It is quite delicious there.

I have actually made Beef Wellington for a small dinner party.  It was fine, but two (of the four) pieces of beef got a bit too seared while I was going through that step.  Therefore, the baking "done them in"  (oooh, an almost MY FAIR LADY reference!).  Thankfully, one of them was for the Dear Partner, who was fine with it (as he would be with a piece of shoe leather and some ketchup), and I of course took the other too well done piece.

Always delightful in its presentation (or at least a surprise to most guests), I was surprised at how simple it was to prepare.  (Except for my over-searing, of course.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 10:24:56 AM by Stuart »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2004, 10:25:57 AM »

Poof, we've moved on.

Who you calling a poof?   ;)

(Did it really take this long for someone to respond to an opening like that?)

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2004, 10:42:11 AM »

And here is my choice for my second Bollywood movie for the weekend (courtesy of Fed Ex who just delivered it).

OM (2004). Don't know anything about the movie and the cast seems to be made up of newcomers...I just liked t he cover and am sure it will be a wonderful movie! LOL!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2004, 10:50:47 AM »

I'm back from getting a million tests done for my annual (well - longer than annual) check-up. I must say that I wasn't looking forward to what I thought would be the typical LA hospital situation. Compared to Boulder, that is, where it was usually a short wait and quite civilized. I was very pleasantly surprised. There was NO waiting, everything went like clockwork. The technician even managed to take a LOT of blood out of me without messing up (they usually do - I have small veins and have on occasion been poked 3 or 4 times before they hit the jackpot). Anyway, I've now been probed and poked and worn various fashionable hospital robes -- and am now ready to EAT. I had to fast for this grand morning and was really wanting a bran muffin as my reward. I CRAVED a bran muffin. Do you think I could find one anywhere? No. I'm now back home still hungry. But I'll have to settle, I guess.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 10:51:53 AM by Panni »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2004, 10:53:25 AM »

Good Morning! Wel... Good Afternoon!

Hmmm...  Maybe I do have some jetlag.  I didn't get out of bed until shortly after 1:00PM - I waited until after the hourly NPR news was over.  I have a feeling something is going on with my sinuses.  Nothing major, just inconvenient.

Well, I've read the Notes.  I've read the posts.  And now it's time to respond...
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2004, 10:54:04 AM »

Jane - No. The pic was taken with my phone camera. I haven't sat down yet to try and figure out my new one.

Jane 2- Good news. My long lost friend the singer/comedienne is doing another show at the same location this Sunday and i've got reservations! I'm excited.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2004, 10:55:31 AM »

There is a wonderful thing known as a supermarket.  In them, at least at Von's and Gelson's, both nearby to dear reader Panni, are bran muffins galore, and they are quite tasty.  Also, one can find bran muffins at Winchell's, also nearby.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2004, 11:01:06 AM »

I do feel it is my duty to declare for the record that my house has just not been the same without the pitter-patter of the feet of Dear Reader Jose.

<blush>

...Well, you know I can make it up to Dulles to grab the 5:00 Jet Blue flight to Long Beach...

Be sure to give Roller and Blackjack a "cookie" for me.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2004, 11:09:26 AM »

Mr. Porter's television soundtrack for Aladdin did little to impress. I like the Supermarket in Old Peking number but I didn't find much else about to listen again.

Theatre IV here in Virginia was supposed to mount a "new version" of Alladin last season, I believe.  After various delays and other reasons, they cancelled the production.  Theatre IV specializes in "family friendly" theatre - they try to avoid the bad connotations that have become associated with the "children's theatre" connotation.

They had all the various estates on board, and the funding was in place.  Unfortunately, due to some corporate type shuffling going on - which was all for the better - the powers-that-be/are weren't able to devote the proper amount of time to the development of the revision.  At least that is what I seem to recall.

-I may just have to search the Times-Dispatch archives now... hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2004, 11:14:45 AM »

There is a wonderful thing known as a supermarket.  In them, at least at Von's and Gelson's, both nearby to dear reader Panni, are bran muffins galore, and they are quite tasty.  Also, one can find bran muffins at Winchell's, also nearby.

Thank you for the muffin tip. However, I'm very particular about my bran muffins. Jerry's has ones I like. (They were out.) So does Du-Par's  - I didn't even bother with them, as they've been out the last two times. Gelson's has weird (for me) too sweet and gooey bran muffins. Von's I've never tried. If I may vent - and who's going to stop me - the problem these day with muffins, as with so many other things, is they cannot leave well enough alone. Nothing can be plain and simple, not even a muffin. It has to be a "designer muffin." Almond-carob-soy or rasberry-cointreau or organic lemon-poppyseed-tofu. What's a fasting blood-deprived woman to do if she craves a plain old bran muffin?
...I know. Listen to you and go to Von's.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2004, 11:17:12 AM »

The Wellington, never stayed there, but I had friends who did when I was living in NY in 1969.  Here's a question: Whatever happened to Beef Wellington?  It was quite popular when I was growing up (and quite pricey) and I had it several times and loved it.  I haven't recalled seeing it on a menu in the last twenty years.

Like DR Stuart, I've seen Beef Wellington still listed on a menu every now and then.  I have made it before, but it's been a while.  I even think Trader Joe's sells a frozen version in single serve portions.  There was a place here in Richmond that would serve an individual size plus a "party" size where they would enclose a whole beef tenderloin - which I think it closer to the original version of Beef Wellington anyway.  The duxelles were almost as good as the beef.  And sometimes the chef would put slivers of foie gras in there too.  Total luxury!
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2004, 11:19:00 AM »

I may just amble over to Art's, take out an unsecured loan (they're horribly expensive, DRs) and get a full breakfast - including - I hope - a BRAN MUFFIN.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2004, 11:22:26 AM »

I forget to mention name of Greenwich Village restaurant. (a quasi KING & I reference).

It is known as One if by Land, Two if by Sea.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2004, 11:27:06 AM »

DR Jose or any other DRs in the area, will any of you be going to see LaChiusa's new musical in DC, THE HIGHEST YELLOW?  Have you heard anything about it?

I know they started rehearsals this week.  That's about it for now.  I may get up to see it once I'm back from Houston.  They have a great cast which includes Judy Kuhn, Jason Daniely and Mark Kudisch among others.

The show was supposed to be mounted a few seasons ago, but due to various delays - I believe Mr. La Chiusa's Broadway projects - it got pushed back.  I remember seeing a set model in the office, and I think I may have even picked up a copy of the script from back then.  -Who knows where that is buried in all my stuff right now.

I'm just wondering how much work has been done on the show since that time.  Thankfully, Signature's Resident Musical Director, Jon Kalbfleisch, is more than capable of handling and teaching and conducting La Chiusa's music.  He did a wonderful job with First Lady Suite.  We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2004, 11:29:21 AM »

The 1936 James Whale directed version is certainly the most faithful to the show, and has incomparable performances from Irene Dunne, Helen Morgan, and Paul Robeson, among others. But the slickness of the 1951 version, and William Warfield's unmatched singing on "Ol' Man River" still make it my choice.

Pace, DRMattH, but I loathe the MGM hyperventilation because it is so slick, a  candy-colored box of slick acts from the Palace Theatre, not an evocation of a not-so-hot crew of performers trekking the Mississippi.  It also misses the epic point of the show and novel:  time and nature and generations endure,  like the river, but people come and go.  Shortening the separation of Magnolia and Ravenal to a short period of time and bringing back Julie as the go-between are not what the theme's about.  One of the great ironies about the original, and the 1936 film, is that Magnolia's career and her daughter's take them so far away from the tiny insulat life on the showboat.  While I find Oscar Hammerstein's ending in the 1936 film no more an improvement over the 1927 original's, I think the awesome cast and direction capture such a feeling for the themes in the show.

I admire a lot of the MGM performances, and the musical arrangements,but I feel they slicked it up way too much.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 11:30:35 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2004, 11:30:32 AM »

As for today's Media Check:

CD Player - OCRs of The Producers, Mamma Mia!, and A Chorus Line - preparation and research, ya' know.

VCR - Nothing

DVD - The Bollywood movie that DR MBarnum sent me a few weeks ago.  I'm hoping to get to it tonight, actually.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up