Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OCTOBERFEST  (Read 16373 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:OCTOBERFEST
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2004, 11:58:18 AM »

And one for Mahler!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2004, 12:01:27 PM »

OK... I'm gonna head out for a walk.  Need to keep walking.  -And then it's over to Steve's tonight for dinner.  :)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2004, 12:02:36 PM »

I'm at work (have been for a couple of hours) and have been able to read today's posts with NO PROBLEM!  I do not like the computer at the house where I'm house-sitting, not good.  Anyway...

In my CD player at work:  the London (West End) cast recording of Bubblin' Brown Sugar courtesy of François!  Thank You!  After that will be the original cast recording of Debbie Does Dallas with Sherie Rene Scott.  I've listened to a couple of songs and so far, I really like it.  Now I want to hear the whole thing.

In my DVD player:  the 4-DVD set of the original Star Wars (remastered with new special effects version).  After that will be Angels In America.

In my VCR:  a blank tape to tape tonight's ABC line-up from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2004, 12:04:00 PM »

Thank you DRs Jane and Elmore.  And DB Jay, of course.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2004, 12:06:04 PM »

...AAGGHHH!!  Or I could get ready to head down to Norfolk... I just got "the call"... So, I'll be on some faux Greek Island in a few hours...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2004, 12:16:10 PM »

Bruce:  I was just catching up at FilmScoreMonthlyMessageboard.  

You've encountered Eric Paddon.  He's not as young as you might suppose.  He is not well-tuned to the world, IMO.  He has a very narrow focus on how things should be in all things (politics, religion, sports) and I perceive him to be pretty anal about everything, based on years of reading his reactions/thoughts/views -- and sparring with him.  He loves to preach what everyone should think or believe, but he has nothing of value to back up his assertions.  I consider him a bit of a coward, as well, as he hides behind other people whenever he's cornered.

He is totally blinkered to his deficiencies.  His self-awareness is seriously marred by a superego that refuses to be wrong even though every word he writes reveals severe deficiencies...in experience, rational thought and common sense.  He has little regard for anyone who thinks/believes differently than he.

He's not worth/worthy of your time.  Or anyone elses.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 12:23:22 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2004, 12:19:29 PM »

Panni, have fun with your long lost friend and enjoy the show.  I’m also impressed you didn’t have to wait at the doctor’s.  
Life is tough on us picky eaters.

My niece got us house seats to MOVIN OUT for Friday night. :D

You are welcome Stuart.  It is still a pleasant surprise to see your face.
 :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2004, 12:21:24 PM »

One would think he's about twenty or younger.  I've seen his inane postings before.  He is a jerk - hard-headed, unable to see past his nose and yes, not worth any more of my time, although I do enjoy making people like that look like the idiots they are.  I mean, he hasn't seen LAURA, for heaven's sake - this from a "film buff" and "soundtrack buff".  Uh huh.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2004, 12:23:16 PM »

Thank you DRs Jane and Elmore.  And DB Jay, of course.

What did I do?  Was it the photo?  You're welcome!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 12:23:49 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2004, 12:25:18 PM »

I have a big favor since in a fit of mental abstraction, like Miss Prism's, I threw out the copy of FILM SCORE monthly with the article about George Bassman.  Does anyone have the magazine?  Can you photocopy the article for me?

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2004, 12:30:08 PM »

Re: the new musical THE HIGHEST YELLOW

Thanks DR Jose.  I knew they started rehearsals this week.  But I've heard very little about the show (just the PR blurb and cast) and wanted to know more.  

Post if you hear anything more.

Btw, am I the only one who would LOVE to follow the rehearsal process of a new musical?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2004, 12:56:21 PM »

You're totally right, DR Elmore, about the over-slickness of the MGM production. I don 't care. I still prefer it. I love all the actors (well, I tolerate Kathryn Grayson; Jane Powell or Ann Blyth might have been better choices) and the color is simply candy-box wonderful. Too slick and talented for a Mississippi showboat? Yes, but so are Irene Dunne and Allan Jones. Anyway, we have both of them so why quibble.

I have that Miles Krueger SHOW BOAT, and it's an exhaustive study of the property. (He, too, loathes the MGM version; of course, it was by far the mostpopular film version of the three and even outgrossed that year's Oscar winner AN AMERICAN IN PARIS.)

In addition to the Turner boxed set of the three SHOW BOATS, I also have the Criterion laserdisc of the 1936 SHOW BOAT which features Miles doing running commentary on the film which he adores. His enthusiasm is contagious even if one doesn't always agree with his assessments.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2004, 01:01:53 PM »

Started watching PEYTON PLACE this afternoon. Lovely print (colors not as deeply saturated as I thought they'd be, but sometimes Deluxe Color isn't deeply saturated. It was on THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS but not on many other films of the period.) The Dolby Digital 4.0 sound sounds very front heavy to me with just occasional spillage of music into the rear channels. Anyway, it IS a lovely film. I totally forgot about Mildred Dunnock being in it!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2004, 01:10:36 PM »

You're totally right, DR Elmore, about the over-slickness of the MGM production. I don 't care. I still prefer it. I love all the actors (well, I tolerate Kathryn Grayson; Jane Powell or Ann Blyth might have been better choices) and the color is simply candy-box wonderful. Too slick and talented for a Mississippi showboat? Yes, but so are Irene Dunne and Allan Jones. Anyway, we have both of them so why quibble.

DR MattH, I agree about Kathryn Grayson.  She's my biggest problem with every MGM musical she's in.  Jane Powell would have been a fabulous spunky Magnolia, and I would have loved to see Ann Blyth, after MILDRED PIERCE, as Lily Vanessi in KISS ME, KATE.  I love the Champions, but they're so wonderful in SHOW BOAT, you wonder why they're trekking the Mississippi, but, of course, the show boat itself is like a theme park!

I believe Miles told me once that the book cannot be reprinted because some boob at Oxford University Press threw away all the plates, and the photos would cost a fortune to be reset.  I love the book; it's been one of my favorites since it was first published.  I wonder what it's costing on Bookfinder.com?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2004, 01:11:18 PM »

Started watching PEYTON PLACE this afternoon. Lovely print (colors not as deeply saturated as I thought they'd be, but sometimes Deluxe Color isn't deeply saturated. It was on THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS but not on many other films of the period.) The Dolby Digital 4.0 sound sounds very front heavy to me with just occasional spillage of music into the rear channels. Anyway, it IS a lovely film. I totally forgot about Mildred Dunnock being in it!
I love the film, and I don't remember Mildred Dunnock either!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2004, 01:14:33 PM »

For anyone who's been waiting with baited breath -- they have NO bran muffins at Art's. But I did have a good breakfast/lunch... with a - sigh - English muffin.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2004, 01:21:18 PM »

From Charles Pogue, yesterday:
And howcum no news person has picked up on remark about the woman who had lost her husband and he didn't know how "to love" her.

Oh, a Tim Rice reference!

"An' speakin' of Vladuhmuhr Poontang, I was jest talkin' to Vladuhmur the other day, and I said, 'Vladuhmur, you have to introduce more democracy in Russia.'  And Vlavuhmuhr said to me, 'Oh please, call me President Putin--Dubya!'"
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2004, 01:21:35 PM »

I got a message from PennyO today; she's in New York, looking for another sublet since the place she's got has no telephone and she cannot do email.  I'm waiting now to hear from her.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2004, 01:23:21 PM »

DR Panni,

I have Steve (the skier) Podborski's mother's bran muffin recipe. (I clipped it out of the Toronto Star ages ago.) It's a good basic muffin - like the kind you seem to hunger for.

It's for 60 muffins, but the batter keeps in the refrigerator for 6 weeks. So you can have a fresh homemade muffin whenever you're in the mood.

Want the recipe? Anyone?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2004, 01:24:42 PM »

elmore, I must still have that issue, but I have to find it - it's somewhere.

I had no idea you'd done the three piece orchestration for Night of the Hunter.  I may go up to see it - I can't imagine it without the band, but I know you did your usual excellent job.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2004, 01:27:20 PM »

DVD - More old television - "December Bride" (still a delight) and for nostalgia purposes "Super Circus" with Claude Kirschner and Mary Heartland

Don't you mean "Claude Kirschner and last but not least Mary Heartland."?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 01:37:13 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Panni

« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2004, 01:28:05 PM »

RANT ALERT

Just one more rant before I use up my two per day allotment. After my non-bran breakfast/lunch - I guess that would be brunch - I drove to my bank. (For those in the know, it's true that my bank is right across the street from Art's, but I was deep in thought about muffins and other important matters when I came out, so I forgot all about going.) As I was saying, I parked behind the bank and got a parking slip which the teller usually validates. Once inside, however, I saw a very long line to the tellers, so I decided to simply use the ATM out front, get some cash and leave. Which I did. On my way back out I stopped at a desk, explained what had happened and asked the person to validate my parking slip. She said, "I need to see your ATM receipt."
Now, maybe I'm too sensitive, but are we living in an age where a person can't be trusted to tell the truth about something as mundane as that? And, in fact, I said to the bank officer, "Why? Do you think I'm lying?" She just looked at me like I was speaking Dutch. It wasn't worth arguing about, so I tossed the receipt on her desk with as much Bette Davis attitude as I could muster. I don't think she knows who Bette is, so that was a complete waste.
...Oh for the good old days...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 01:31:30 PM by Panni »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2004, 01:30:48 PM »

DiT I would but then I would eat all of the bran muffins.  Better to simply pick one up when I'm in the mood.

Panni

« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2004, 01:41:15 PM »

DiT I would but then I would eat all of the bran muffins.  Better to simply pick one up when I'm in the mood.

Thank your for the offer, but Ditto (Ditto to DIT?) - Plus in my present home environment, I cannot bake. I use the oven for storage. I actually keep my toaster in there. Did I mention that the other night the turtle broke into my landlady's bedroom (through the pation screendoor) and shattered an antique lamp? She found him happily playing in her bathroom. This is beginning to sound like a zany Neil Simon comedy. (I'm played by a young Jane Fonda. Landlady by Maureen Stapleton or Mildred Natwick or Thelma Ritter.)

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2004, 01:42:38 PM »

Just read this in Ken Mandelbaum's column:

"Now set for the first week in December are the PBS telecast and DVD release of the kinescope of Julie Andrews in Rodgers and Hammerstein's 1957 TV musical Cinderella."

What a MARVELOUS Christmas present for us all! I wish JULIE AND CAROL AT CARNEGIE HALL wasn't far behind!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2004, 01:44:30 PM »

elmore, I must still have that issue, but I have to find it - it's somewhere.

I had no idea you'd done the three piece orchestration for Night of the Hunter.  I may go up to see it - I can't imagine it without the band, but I know you did your usual excellent job.

It was all negotiated before CHARLEY, but I didn't get a contract until I got back from Goodspeed.  I was so caught up in the Goodspeed production and our good friend Tony Walton that I clearly forgot about mentionng it, or thought I had!

By the time I started woring on it, my health was a mess, and most of the work was done during the two weeks of collapsing bookcases when I was living outside the apartment.  I sent the band parts to San Francisco in instalments.  I hear the band sounds pretty good.  We went with piano (I think/hope he's doubling celesta), percussion and cello.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2004, 01:47:48 PM »

Thank your for the offer, but Ditto (Ditto to DIT?) - Plus in my present home environment, I cannot bake. I use the oven for storage. I actually keep my toaster in there. Did I mention that the other night the turtle broke into my landlady's bedroom (through the pation screendoor) and shattered an antique lamp? She found him happily playing in her bathroom. This is beginning to sound like a zany Neil Simon comedy. (I'm played by a young Jane Fonda. Landlady by Maureen Stapleton or Mildred Natwick or Thelma Ritter.)

I'd want Thelma Ritter for my landlady and Mildred Natwick as my aunt who cons a repairman to fix the oven.  Maureen would play my mother, and Robert Redford would play me.

Panni

« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »

BTW - I was a big fan of DECEMBER BRIDE also. Haven't seen  it since the days I watched it regularly way back in the Stone Age. Would love to see it again.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2004, 01:48:27 PM »

What a MARVELOUS Christmas present for us all! I wish JULIE AND CAROL AT CARNEGIE HALL wasn't far behind!

Amen!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2004, 01:52:49 PM »

We will hear no more rants about Bran Muffins - the ranter was given the name of two places where they could be found and where I have first-hand knowledge of their worth - Von's and Winchell's.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up