Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A DAY IN WHICH THINGS HAPPENED  (Read 6102 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A DAY IN WHICH THINGS HAPPENED
« on: March 18, 2015, 12:11:08 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes happened, and now it is time for you to post until the happening cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: A DAY IN WHICH THINGS HAPPENED
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 12:12:33 AM »

And the word of the day is: ABSTENTIOUS!

FJL

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 03:31:32 AM »

First after BK?  At 6:30?

Michael

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 04:35:06 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 04:36:36 AM »

l
First after BK?  At 6:30?

Are those your ask BK questions?  :D
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 04:41:43 AM »

ASK BK

When you make Outside The Box episodes do you use a SAG contract or is it an exception like the 99 seat theater rule in LA (which I know they are trying to change)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 04:51:26 AM »

I had to look up the film Beneath The 12 Mile Reef as I never heard of it before.

My god Robert Wagner was a real looker back then and still good at age 85.

Here is a publicity shot from the movie

Never stop dreaming.

ChasSmith

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 05:06:24 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 05:09:31 AM »

I've never seen the movie.  Or have I?  But it seems like I've heard an excerpt or three from the score.  Maybe it was on some LP?  At any rate, this is excellent news and a no-brainer.

ChasSmith

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 05:09:54 AM »

Coffee!

ChasSmith

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 05:14:41 AM »

That's thrilling about Richard Sherman and the book.  Of course it makes me want to start rereading them, something I started looking forward to after my first time through.  I think I'm close to having the time to do it properly.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 05:30:27 AM »

i found a copy of Beneath the 12 Mile Reef on you tube. I will watch it when I get home tonight. It's looks like a pan and scan version and color is terrible.

https://youtu.be/lIEtstH1kTo

or you can see it widescreen or in Spanish dubbed and better color

https://youtu.be/nQif3V4KZLo
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 05:33:01 AM »

For some reason I have seen a lot of public domain dvd's of Beneath the 12 Mile Reef.....someone must have been asleep at Fox that day.

Thanks to everyone for the condolences yesterday.  It was very comforting to read your posts, and I appreciate it very much.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 05:37:08 AM »

You are correct DR CILLA LIZ - the prosecutor asked twice during the trial to have this juror removed for cause - the defense rejected a juror because he watched the movie before the trial even started.  Both requests were denied.

The mitigation expert continually tweeted her followers during the trial that no one should worry - it was taken care of.....

She also tweeted the results of the verdict about half an hour before court started that morning.  Arias' mother also tweeted the night before that no one should be worried...."it only takes one....."

I accept the verdict, I prefer LWOP, but it does seem more than coincidence that this woman was on the jury, would not explain to other jurors why she felt as she did, would not deliberate, etc.  But it is over, so I look forward to the sentencing.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 05:39:02 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 05:43:17 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept quite porly, but I doubt that it had anything to do with a conductor who's an unpopular creep.  I slept soundly untl 2:00am, woke up and could nt go back to sleep, so I got up, played at the computer and read all of the preview performance comments on PAINT YOUR WAGON, and then went back to bed.  I slept quite fitfully, and i hope things go well at Chelsea Music today.

I did get some news that's positive:  my extraordinary sister-in-law Jo sent me this clipping from my hometown newspaper concerning the land that includes my Ohio property:
http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/from-country-two-lane-road-to-five-lane-corridor-i/nkYH6/?ecmp=journalnews_social_facebook_2014_sfp#__federated=1
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:50:24 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 05:44:19 AM »

Here's the only copy of the film to get or watch:

It's in the Fox Cinema Archives series, and is apparently one of the very few of those that they actually released in the correct aspect ratio (CinemaScope).  Oddly, it doesn't even come up in a search on Fox's own site, but here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Beneath-12-mile-Reef-Robert-Wagner/dp/B00GTSVPOW/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1426682361&sr=1-1&keywords=beneath+the+12+mile+reef
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:14:13 AM by ChasSmith »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 05:49:35 AM »

Last night's dress rehearsal reports on PAINT YOUR WAGON are quite good, and I am very excited by the fact.  Like most of the fools and morons on AllThatChat, you get responses like this:
Not Lerner's best lyrics...by a wide margin. And the story, though not boring, is basically cliched nonsense.

Cliches?  I agree; I am so sick of seeing musicals abut Mormons selling their wives to a lot of horny miners

Don't even get me started on this know-it-all's comments on Lerner's lyrics.

I always want to know what shows these folk like.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 05:52:09 AM »

It's incredible how people must show off how brilliant, and above it all, they are.

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 05:53:19 AM »

DR Elmore, I'll read that article and look at the area on Google later.  I really hope this portends good things at last.

Kerry

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 05:54:35 AM »

Good morning.  Wednesday?  It seems like we should be further along than that, but the last few weeks have been strange anyway.
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 06:08:44 AM »

I'm up and have announced.  Here's the full blurb.

Kritzerland is proud to present a new limited edition soundtrack release – a classic score from the Golden Age:

BENEATH THE 12-MILE REEF

Music Composed and Conducted by Bernard Herrmann

“You see it without glasses!” screamed the one-sheet poster for Beneath the 12-Mile Reef, right under the huge and new Cinemascope logo.  Beneath the 12-Mile Reef was the third Cinemascope feature, following The Robe and How to Marry a Millionaire.  Fox assembled a cast of young up-and-comers like Robert Wagner, Terry Moore, Richard Boone and Peter Graves, along with seasoned pros like Gilbert Roland and J. Carroll Naish.  But the big draw where was Cinemascope, stereo sound, and spectacular photography, both under and above the ocean (Edward Cronjager would win the Oscar for his photography), not to mention a brilliant score by Bernard Herrmann, sounding not quite like anything anyone had ever heard.

Herrmann’s score, in thrilling stereophonic sound, immediately drew audiences into its unusual musical soundscape, weaving an evocative spell with its incredible orchestral colors. The film may be standard issue drama, but it was those underwater sequences that held audiences in thrall.  That and the completely unique Herrmann score.

To evoke the underwater world of Beneath the 12-Mile Reef, Herrmann employed nine harps, each with its own separate part.  The score perfectly captures the mysterious underwater world – sinuous, hypnotic, flowing – a spellbinding tone poem that even today mesmerizes with its intense beauty.  Since this was his first score to be recorded in multi-track stereo, Herrmann went so far as to include diagrams for instrument and microphone placement on his manuscript for the score.  Needless to say, the resulting score remains one of Herrmann’s greatest.

Beneath the 12-Mile Reef was available as an early Film Score Monthly CD.  Several years ago it reappeared in the expensive Varese Sarabande Bernard Herrmann at Fox box, where the score had undergone an extensive restoration and remix by Mike Matessino.  That box sold out very quickly and many fans missed out, so it’s a pleasure to rerelease this amazing score by one of the greatest of all film composers in superb stereo sound.

Beneath the 12-Mile Reef is limited to 1000 copies only and is priced at $19.98, plus shipping.   CDs will ship by the first week of May.  However, never fear – on average we usually ship two to four weeks ahead of the official ship date.  To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 06:09:36 AM »

For some reason I have seen a lot of public domain dvd's of Beneath the 12 Mile Reef.....someone must have been asleep at Fox that day.

It's really amazing the stuff that has gone into public domain because somebody at the studios screwed up.  Off the top of my head:

TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY (The Jerome Kern Story)
ROYAL WEDDING (Fred Astaire)
SANTA FE TRAIL  (Errol Flynn)
THEY MADE ME A CRIMINAL (John Garfield)
BLOOD ON THE SUN (James Cagney)
ANGEL AND THE BADMAN (John Wayne)
ALGIERS (Charles Boyer)
CHARADE[/b] (Cary Grant)
HIS GIRL FRIDAY (Cary Grant)
LIFE WITH FATHER (William Powell)
THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS (Elizabeth Taylor)
NOTHING SACRED (Carole Lombard)
A FAREWELL TO ARMS (Gary Cooper)
MEET JOHN DOE (Gary Cooper)
A STAR IS BORN (Janet Gaynor)
SUDDENLY (Frank Sinatra)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:12:03 AM by Druxy »
You can dream…or you can do.

ChasSmith

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 06:10:09 AM »

We woke up to a dusting of snow this morning!

After two lovely spring-like days.  Of course, around here the ground is still mostly covered with snow, thanks to all the trees and to being in a slightly higher elevation.  But the sunny day yesterday was incredibly beautiful.

And HELL, they're calling for snow on Friday night!  Yes, you read that right, the Friday night I'm in the city and will have to make my way back home.  Oh well, it'll be a long night, but I'll take the train.  Leave the driving to them.  Then I'll just have to brush the car off and drive the last twenty minutes home from the station.  And for that hour I won't even be able to take the local train, so it's still a pain in the ass...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 06:11:48 AM »

DR Elmore, I'll read that article and look at the area on Google later.  I really hope this portends good things at last.

Fingers are crossed! Given that news, my brothers might be right about it selling at a higher price.  We'll see.  I hope it sells in the next six months.

ChasSmith

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 06:12:09 AM »

CD ordered!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 06:16:17 AM »

Good news DR ELMORE....and right on time with the hoodoo.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 06:16:26 AM »

CD ORDERED!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 06:18:02 AM »

The car is done.  He said there must be a slow leak somewhere, and he can't find it. The car was low on coolant....it is so HARD to see the place where you have to look.  I guess I will just have to check.

And I can never tell when it is full.  It says "Fill to this line" - but nothing ever shows, and if you fill to the line, it is overfilled.

I guess I need a flashlight.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 06:18:34 AM »

Six days to tell me this.  I called Monday....and I called this morning.  He said "I just parked it after driving it around....and it's fine."

We shall see.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up