Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE METAPHORICAL ME  (Read 22559 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE METAPHORICAL ME
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2004, 10:07:28 AM »

And one for Mahler.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2004, 10:08:50 AM »

That is strange that she wouldn't have jumped to meet with you.  If I was the seller I would make sure to get that deposit right away.

I'm curious though.  Does this sort of thing happen often (people changing their minds?).  I am naive enough to think that if someone says they will take it that they will.  Also I thought that getting a house was usually done through an agent.  When my sis got her house this year, there were numerous people making bids thru their agents.  And it was totally crazy.

The "nice lady" may have felt there was no hurry.  She may also have been fielding offers.  "Nice ladies" sometimes seize opportunities.  L.A. is probably like the Bay Area, overall, in that it is a landlord's market, rather than a renter's market.  She won't have a vacancy for long.

But she will have lost out on renting to Panni, and becoming acquainted with Panni, and that might be an egregious loss for her.

It would be for us!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2004, 10:11:29 AM »

Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann!
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann!

Oh Barbara Ann, take my hand,
Barbara Ann!
You got me rockin’ and a-rollin’
Rockin’ and a-reelin’
Barbara Ann ba ba
Ba Barbara Ann!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2004, 10:12:56 AM »

Even when I was a teenager, I found songs about surfing rather silly.  Also songs about cars. I never own a Beach Boys or Jan & Dean record.  Never will.

Stuart, I also saw the awful Julia/Easton Man of La Mancha.  While Sheena looks delicious, her Scottish acting was very strange.

Mostly, the problem with the show was that Albert Marre, the original director, did nothing new with it and kept it in a time capsule.  It just looked very, very tired and phlegmatic.  In fact, the guy playing Carrasco was the same guy who had played it when I had seen it in one of the road companies with either Keith Andes or Bob Wright, back in the sixties.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2004, 10:14:10 AM »

I had a similar house thing - I found a house I liked very much, on my same street just two blocks north.  The landlord was trying to get his tenants out so I could have it.  He'd already gotten a court order, but the law in this state is so on the side of deadbeat tenants that they'd been there since April without having paid rent.  He couldn't quite commit to me.  The week before I absolutely had to make a decision, he told me they were definitely out of there, they'd been packing, etc.  That very day the other house (the one I'm in) was pointed out to me.  I looked at it and loved it immediately.  It was the same price and, for my needs, a better house.  I filled out an application which I knew would be problematic (all stemming from the bad business with you-know-who from three years ago), but I wrote them a nice letter and that was that.  Since the landlord's business manager was going to be dealing with the lease I had no idea what would happen.  The leasing agent was one of these people who just don't care about leases - they don't make enough money.  And so, she just didn't follow up and it was impossible to get her on the phone.  On a Saturday I finally told the guy up the street that I'd sign the papers on Sunday morning (he'd already approved my application).  That night, just before What If started, I got a call saying I'd gotten the other house.  Needless to say, I took it.  The other guy was upset but ultimately understood because I explained it well.  Sadly, his house remains unrented.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2004, 10:16:06 AM »

Dan (the Man): For reasons best left unexplained, seeing those lyrics almost caused me to vomit on the ground.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2004, 10:20:11 AM »

Even when I was a teenager, I found songs about surfing rather silly.  Also songs about cars. I never own a Beach Boys or Jan & Dean record.  Never will.

DR Charles Pogue, say it AIN'T SO!

What a feast of rhythm and what a paean to a specific time and place this music has remained!

Of course it's silly.  Most of us were when we first heard it and fell in love with it.

Didn't you ever feel/fall in love with something silly?  At all?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2004, 10:21:20 AM »

Dan (the Man): For reasons best left unexplained, seeing those lyrics almost caused me to vomit on the ground.

Did it have to do with the person who wrote it, or the person who performed it, or the person who inspired it?

:D

William E. Lurie

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2004, 10:21:50 AM »

Although the show doesn't open until Thursday, the Variety review of BROOKLYN, THE MUSICAL is already out.  It begins

Oh dear.  The caterwauling vocal callisthenics that are de riguer among "American Idol" contestants have planted their demon seed on Broadway in "Brooklyn, The Musical," a series of overwrought whitebread Gospel ballads strung together in search of a book.

Considering how the producers of this show treated BK, they deserve every word of it.

Supposed reason Richard Dryfuss was really let go from the London PRODUCERS: he gave a radio interview and said that people should buy tickets for shows starting in January because it wouldn't be ready in time for the October previews and November opening.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2004, 10:30:08 AM »

So.... the Bay Area is underwater today, it's LOVELY!!!!  However the kids are going to be NUTS by 2:30 today, oh well, such is life.  Favorite metaphor has got to be "Metaphor" from "The Fantasticks", it's all I can come up with at the moment.  Favorite surf-like song is "Help Me Rhonda" and "I Get Around"... I also like "Be True to Your School" and "Ride Ride Ride the Wild Surf".   Also fun trying to tell the difference between The Beach Boys and Jan and Dean, I always found Jan and Dean to have better diction!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2004, 10:33:40 AM »

It wasn't the person who wrote it, the person who performed it, or the person who inspired it.  It's... the... name...

Ben

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2004, 10:39:02 AM »

Donald's radio show this week is great fun! So far I have only guessed one of the shows before he played it (you have to listen to figure out what I'm talking about).

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2004, 10:39:16 AM »

RLP, as a teen, I feel in love with the sounds of Cole Porter or Big Band music drifting in the background.  Romantic music.  I still listened to rock 'n roll but if I was going to fall in love to rock...It would have been Doo-Wop.  And there can't be anything more silly than that.  But cars and surfboards...sorry, as a kid growing up in Greater Cincinnati, I just couldn't relate to the lifestyle.  Still can't.  I'd rather swim in a pool than the ocean any day.

Speaking of Rock songs, what is the most misinterpeted lyric anyone has ever heard...Either one you misinterpreted or a friend of yours did.  I had a friend who used to sing:  "And Wendy has storky eyes..."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2004, 10:42:27 AM »

It wasn't the person who wrote it, the person who performed it, or the person who inspired it.  It's... the... name...

Well, please don't take it as any kind of purposal assault.  It just popped into me head.  I shoulda gone with my first choice, "Do You Wanna Dance?"  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2004, 10:44:58 AM »

My aforementioned California Girls: I always thought the lyric was "Lipstick on the seat California girls".  I can't stand swimming in the ocean - never have, never will.  Hate salt water.  Still liked the Beach Boys, though, although I never cared about cars.  I found and find their music lots of fun.  I also love Girl Groups.  Who are our favorite girl groups, now that we're talking about it?  I adore The Shirells

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2004, 10:45:52 AM »

Dan (the Man): Of course I don't take it personally.  It's... just... the... name...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2004, 10:46:02 AM »

Speaking of Rock songs, what is the most misinterpeted lyric anyone has ever heard...Either one you misinterpreted or a friend of yours did.  I had a friend who used to sing:  "And Wendy has storky eyes..."

How about Creedence Clearwater Revival's "There is a bathroom on the right"?
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2004, 10:47:04 AM »

Charles Pogue said:

"I'd rather swim in a pool than the ocean any day."

Boy, I get flak for that one also. I do not enjoy (and I'm being mild) swimming in the ocean at all. I would rather jump into a pool any day or even a lake. I have never understood the pleasures of ocean swimming. Oh, well.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2004, 10:48:50 AM »

Question. Where is the break?

I was surprised they did it here without an intermission.  I definitely prefer one.

This theatre is mostly older people.  But I was very surprised.  Not a single one of them got up during the 1 hr 45 minutes.

To me, the very definitive act break is right after "The Quest" (aka "The Impossible Dream").  Not only is this the favored "power ballad" that was so de rigeur for a first-act closer at that time (not to mention before and since), but you may have noticed that the following scene opens with the staircase being used (i.e. lowered, in a fully designed production), and another prisoner being thrown into the cell.  It, of course, would re-establish the mood and setting after the audience had gone out for a cigarette or cocktail.

(Ironlically enough, as I am typing these words "Dulcinea" was being played on AOL's showtune station.  Not to be misunderstood, I LOVE "Dulcinea")

As an aside, the thing with some intermissionless shows (but not this one) is that when they are played WITH an intermission it seems to fall in the wrong place for this audience member.  And the two I will mention do not have an obvious act break:  The Roundabout's 1776 placed intermission AFTER "Momma Look Sharp," which I think is far too deep into the show.  My recommendation, should anyone have asked me, which no one did, would be to place it after Adams, Chase and Franklin leave for NJ.  Not only does it leave you with a great first act closing line (which I paraphrase: "Wake up, Benjy.  You're going whoring in New Jersey"), but lets the second act open with "Cool, Cool Considerate Men."  The Paper Mill FOLLIES intermission seemed too late as well, after "Too Many Mornings" as I recall.  If it must have an intermission, "I'm Still Here" might be more appropriate.

One intermissionless show that is also often performed with one is PIPPIN.  It usually falls after (or sometimes during) "Morning Glow."  I have no opinion on this one.

'Nuff said.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2004, 10:49:53 AM »

Charles Pogue said:

Boy, I get flak for that one also. I do not enjoy (and I'm being mild) swimming in the ocean at all. I would rather jump into a pool any day or even a lake. I have never understood the pleasures of ocean swimming. Oh, well.

Make that three of us.  I dislike sand, though I appreciate the kind of color I get at the beach, as opposed to the tan I get poolside.

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2004, 10:50:08 AM »

One of my favorite all-girl groups is The Orlons. I also like The Mermaids.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2004, 10:50:48 AM »

I sure hope it's the "Barbara Ann's" of this world who make you want to vomit on the ground and not all "Barbara's".

Some of my favorite people are named "Barbara," including my mother.

But I don't know any "Barbara Ann's."

DR Pogue:  Okay, I hear ya!  Doo-wop, huh!  Hah!  I was in northeastern South Carolina (Greenville) during my teens...and had an endless fascination for California and all things Californian, especially in the L.A. area.  

If only I'd known then what I know now! :D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2004, 10:52:42 AM »

Charles Pogue said:

I love swimming in the ocean.  The rougher the water the better.  To me there's something joyous about fighting against the waves and not being all together in control.  I guess it goes back to my childhood--the ocean was generally the deepest water I swam in until I was 13 and joined a pool club.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2004, 10:55:47 AM »

I sure hope it's the "Barbara Ann's" of this world who make you want to vomit on the ground and not all "Barbara's".

Some of my favorite people are named "Barbara," including my mother.

But I don't know any "Barbara Ann's."

Barbara is a lovely name.  I have many friends named Barbara.  Swell name.  Am I being clear enough? ;D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2004, 11:00:53 AM »

Just heard from "the nice lady." She was not thrilled, but accepted the situation politely.

Thank you for your kind words, RLP.

Jennifer - Sounds like your sister was buying a place. I'm renting.
As bk said, this kind of thing happens. That's why I went over last night to the home of the people who own the place I decided on -- to give them a check and sign the lease. They said it could wait until morning - but I wanted it ALL done. This is the kind of place I'm sure they'd get a million calls on (they were booked up all day for showings) and I wanted to get it signed, sealed and delivered.
BTW - the husband of the couple owns a good Italian restaurant not far from here. Yum.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2004, 11:02:11 AM »

Make that three of us.  I dislike sand, though I appreciate the kind of color I get at the beach, as opposed to the tan I get poolside.

I've never actually done any swimming in the Atlantic...and the Pacific is so cold I've never been in that body of water above my knees...but I've done a lot of wave riding on rafts in the Atlantic...primarily at Daytona Beach, but also at Myrtle Beach and Jacksonville Beach.

Mind you, that will never happen again because of aerial footage I saw of Daytona Beach a few years ago...patrolling sharks were only yards away from the folks furthest out in the water...surfing or body surfing.  

Huh-uh!  I'm not on the menu.

But I've had some glorious swimming in the Aegean in the Athens, Greece area.  Crystal clear waters, moderate temperature --- simply wonderful!  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 11:03:02 AM by RLP »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2004, 11:05:52 AM »

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?q3=h4z4Iz3R6S8%253d  

Why do you know if you click on the above right now, you can read all about Writer's Block and sample the first two pages?  Do so and then post.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2004, 11:10:43 AM »

Jrand, you're just sitting there like so much fish.  Tell us some fascinating thing.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2004, 11:12:18 AM »

DR ELMORE made an arrangement for ANNETTE!!!

Wow!  She sang with the Gay Men's Chorus? Wow!
No, DRJRand54, I wasn't too clear.  I did an arrangement of one of her songs for the Chorus.  I wish she'd been involved!

Still thinking about metaphors . . .
I had a lovely phone call from DRPennyO.  We have a dinner date for Thursday.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2004, 11:14:31 AM »

Ethel Waters' glorious rendition of "Taking A Chance on Love" from "Cabin in the Sky."

It's my favorite version of that song.  She invests it with true feeling/meaning...much more than any other singer I've heard.

DRRLP, I concur!  And what a fantastic song.  I believe it and "I Can't Get Started With You" are my two favorite Vernon duke songs.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up