Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PREVIEW OF THE PREVIEW  (Read 11965 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: THE PREVIEW OF THE PREVIEW
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2015, 12:39:06 PM »

Thanks again for all the nice comments.  Tonight's audience is traditionally quite vocal....so we shall see.

The funniest thing that happened last night didn't happen onstage.  The stage manager - who will NOT be giving us notes anymore - looked at all of us and said "Two minutes" and we said "Thank you, two minutes" and walked past her toward the wings.

Karen and I are the beginners for the Second Act, so we went to our waiting places to get adjusted to the dark and be ready to start......we waited.....and waited.....and waited.....after about three minutes she pulled the masking drape back and said: "Oh there you are....." and ran back to her table to give the light and sound people the GO signal.....

Where did she think we went?  Why didn't she look there first?  She saw us walk toward the stage when she gave the two minute call.....

Some people (a Sondheim reference!) are just weird (not a Sondheim reference).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2015, 12:51:10 PM »

So, every year, Timberland Regional Library (where I work) does a program called "Timberland Reads Together," where all Timberland patrons (who wants to participate) read the same book and have discussions and programs and activities.  This year, they're doing something different.  They've created "Timberland Writes Together."  They took submissions from local authors and illustrators (previous experience not required) and put together a book of the best submissions and actually had it published!  They even offer downloadables for free!  Here's the website for the downloads: 

http://www.trl.org/ProgramsResources/Pages/TRT15/TRT.aspx

I didn't have to log into anything to be able to download the e-book.  It's available to everyone for free...they never expire. 

The only problem, however, was when I tried to download the ePub version:  it downloaded a zipped file (Timberland Writes Together_epub.zip) that I couldn't figure out how to make work.  After several e-mails with our computer people and the manager of this year's event, I found out that I needed to change the zipped file's name to take out the ".zip" file extension and change the underscore to a dot...making it end in ".epub".  Then it worked perfectly.  Very strange.  I've never had to do anything like that before.  Anyway, if anyone is interested, enjoy.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2015, 12:52:20 PM »

I had nothing to do with this program, and I didn't submit anything for consideration.  I'm just sharing because it's a pretty cool idea and sounds like fun.  I actually know one of the authors.  He was in a couple of shows where I ran the sound board. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2015, 01:41:53 PM »

Shoulder vibes for DR Jane!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2015, 01:45:49 PM »

BK I think that I would switch cell phone providers after that story from hell.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2015, 01:52:13 PM »

Thanks again for all the nice comments.  Tonight's audience is traditionally quite vocal....so we shall see.

The funniest thing that happened last night didn't happen onstage.  The stage manager - who will NOT be giving us notes anymore - looked at all of us and said "Two minutes" and we said "Thank you, two minutes" and walked past her toward the wings.

Karen and I are the beginners for the Second Act, so we went to our waiting places to get adjusted to the dark and be ready to start......we waited.....and waited.....and waited.....after about three minutes she pulled the masking drape back and said: "Oh there you are....." and ran back to her table to give the light and sound people the GO signal.....

Where did she think we went?  Why didn't she look there first?  She saw us walk toward the stage when she gave the two minute call.....

That's funny.

And happy first Friday vibes.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2015, 01:57:07 PM »

So, every year, Timberland Regional Library (where I work) does a program called "Timberland Reads Together," where all Timberland patrons (who wants to participate) read the same book and have discussions and programs and activities.  This year, they're doing something different.  They've created "Timberland Writes Together."  They took submissions from local authors and illustrators (previous experience not required) and put together a book of the best submissions and actually had it published!  They even offer downloadables for free!  Here's the website for the downloads: 

I didn't have to log into anything to be able to download the e-book.  It's available to everyone for free...they never expire. 

The only problem, however, was when I tried to download the ePub version:  it downloaded a zipped file (Timberland Writes Together_epub.zip) that I couldn't figure out how to make work.  After several e-mails with our computer people and the manager of this year's event, I found out that I needed to change the zipped file's name to take out the ".zip" file extension and change the underscore to a dot...making it end in ".epub".  Then it worked perfectly.  Very strange.  I've never had to do anything like that before.  Anyway, if anyone is interested, enjoy.

I saved the pdf version. Looks like fun.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2015, 02:35:49 PM »

Off to the salt mines.....

Here's to some good salt, DR Jrand65!

John G.

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2015, 02:36:22 PM »

Just found out that a former co-worker from Florida days who now lives in Seattle has been nominated for the Washington State Book Award.

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/books/finalists-announced-for-the-washington-state-book-awards/

Her name is Kathleen Flinn and her book is called Burnt Toast Makes You Sing Good. I haven't read it yet.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »

I saved the pdf version. Looks like fun.

I know, right?  I want to finish "Go Set a Watchman" first, but I might read individual stories before I'm finished.

George

« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2015, 02:48:46 PM »

Just found out that a former co-worker from Florida days who now lives in Seattle has been nominated for the Washington State Book Award.

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/books/finalists-announced-for-the-washington-state-book-awards/

Her name is Kathleen Flinn and her book is called Burnt Toast Makes You Sing Good. I haven't read it yet.

Congrats and good luck to your former co-worker, John!

George

« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2015, 02:56:03 PM »

And now, they start to drop...Rick Perry to End 2016 Bid.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2015, 03:01:54 PM »

Well, I didn't get the nap. I went back to the orchestra parts.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2015, 03:29:21 PM »

Hi fellow DRs,

I am doing better. Had a few setbacks. Was sad following the anniversary of my Mom's passing. Today is a sad day too. I was on Chambers St. on 9/11 and saw everything first hand which I will never forget.
Aunt Esther: I have the spirit of Christmas . . .
Fred Sanford: . . . and the face of Halloween!

A house divided by itself, falls down.
-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2015, 03:30:35 PM »

Was away for a bit, with my friends. Came back to find my computer was fried. Waiting for friend to fix it, using a borrowed laptop. Not happy about it. Afraid to lose what's on desktop.

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2015, 03:31:26 PM »

Having lots of other problems, health, financial, and had a panic attack last week, which I've never had before. That was scary.

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2015, 03:34:36 PM »

I met the little dog that my friends wanted to give me, but that didn't work out. She's a nice dog, except she's not housebroken. She's a chihuahua and from my assessment has never been trained at all. I can't have her here.

DR cat Minny remembered me. He was his usual self. He showed lots of affection as if I had never left. Read an article recently about cat behavior, and Minny did not fit in with the article's conclusions.

-- Edith Baines Bunker

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2015, 03:39:46 PM »

Welcome back, DR Dan M!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2015, 03:48:17 PM »

Had a turkey sandwich and no fries or onion rings, picked up one package, did some banking, and bought some pants and shirts from the Gap, where waist sizes seem to be a lot more real than Jos Bank where every waist size has to be two to four inches beyond what you actually are.

KevinH

« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2015, 03:56:44 PM »

Nice to see you, DR DanM!

KevinH

« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2015, 03:58:09 PM »

Finished laundry.   Have to pack for my weekend trip. I'm shuffling off to Buffalo. 

George

« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2015, 03:59:25 PM »

Welcome back, Dan M!!

KevinH

« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »

Continued broken leg vibes for Sami and BK!

KevinH

« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2015, 04:01:07 PM »

Belated Happy a Anniversary to DR Singdaw and hubby!

KevinH

« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »

Shoulder vibes for DR Jane!

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2015, 04:21:18 PM »

Belated Happy a Anniversary to DR Singdaw and hubby!

Yes, indeed, skol!

-- Edith Baines Bunker

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2015, 04:28:55 PM »

Thanks again, everyone!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2015, 04:29:12 PM »

DR Dan M, it is very nice to see you about.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2015, 04:29:35 PM »

May everything for you be onward and upward from here on in.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2015, 04:29:51 PM »

And with that, let us turn the page.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up