Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expired cookie & logging back in???  (Read 16326 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Expired cookie & logging back in???
« on: October 25, 2003, 09:10:17 AM »

Mark, it's taken me two days to be able to log back in after having registered on the first day of the new Board.  I chose "always stay logged-in" or whatever it's called when I first logged in, and, indeed for the first three days, the Board "knew" me when I returned.  Then, for some reason starting on Thursday, I was back to "Guest" and I could not log back in.  I tried both my original password and the one I chose to replace it, with no luck (I toyed with upper and lower case, just in case--no pun intended--the password and log-in name were case sensitive, but no luck).  Finally today on about my fifth or sixth try, it finally "took" and I was logged in again.  Do the cookies expire after three days if you don't post?

I also have one suggestion--could you maybe add the dates to the titles of the posts on the post index.  It's easy to figure out now, but once we get a few weeks up there, it's going to be hard to remember which notes went with which days.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:Expired cookie & logging back in???
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 10:14:24 AM »

Hopefully Mark or Russell can address this issue posthaste so you can haste post.

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 12:00:52 PM »

Mark, it's taken me two days to be able to log back in after having registered on the first day of the new Board.  I chose "always stay logged-in" or whatever it's called when I first logged in, and, indeed for the first three days, the Board "knew" me when I returned.  Then, for some reason starting on Thursday, I was back to "Guest" and I could not log back in.  I tried both my original password and the one I chose to replace it, with no luck (I toyed with upper and lower case, just in case--no pun intended--the password and log-in name were case sensitive, but no luck).  Finally today on about my fifth or sixth try, it finally "took" and I was logged in again.  Do the cookies expire after three days if you don't post?

Cookies are stored on your personal computer. All we can do is set the cookie as you request it. You must set the amount of hours that the cookie is stored on your computer. You can also click the box to remember you "forevor." It seems as if the time for the cookie to be stored was set at about three days after which the cookie was deleted and your login was forgotten. Next time simply choose to have your login remembered for a longer period of time or forevor.

And if you had problems with your login or password all you had to do was click the forgotten login link which would have emailed your password to your email address on file.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 02:04:53 PM »

As I think I pretty clearly stated in my first post--why, yep, there it is--I did choose "forever"--though I didn't call it that in my first post, I called it "always logged in."  That's why I was surprised that I suddenly reverted to guest.  Which is why in turn I asked if not posting for three days had anything to do with it.

As I also stated in my original post, the problem had nothing to do with my password per se, which I entered correctly multiple times--the problem was that it would not take.  Now I might be persuadedthat perhaps I could have entered the wrong password once, twice, maybe even three times--but I entered it well over 50 times over three days and it never took.

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 02:42:09 PM »

Forgive me as while trying to respond to tech questions I'm also packing emergency boxes in case my neighborhood is given an evacuation notice...

To be able to debug problems I really need more information that "would not take." What sort of error messages are you getting? What happens when you request to have your contact information sent? Perhaps we for some reason had login information different than what you had thought was entered. Anyway, it appears you're in now. If this problem happens again let me know while it's happening so we can look into what's going on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up