Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RECURRING DREAM  (Read 4683 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE RECURRING DREAM
« on: December 12, 2015, 12:59:41 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were recurring notes, and now it is time for you to post until the recurring cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE RECURRING DREAM
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 01:02:35 AM »

And the word of the day is: VOLITANT!

ChasSmith

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 03:54:08 AM »

First!  FIRST!!  FIRST!!!

ChasSmith

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 03:54:57 AM »

And I don't mean Furst.

ChasSmith

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 03:56:02 AM »

So, good morning, all.

I'm up, and there's nothing to be done about it.

ChasSmith

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 04:01:48 AM »

I have this lovely Saturday in which to get some things done, but also to take it easy and enjoy some enjoyable enjoyment before being thrust into four days of rehearsal and umpteen performances of a high school holiday program.  After next Wednesday night I am free to enjoy the rest of the holidays myself.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 04:45:37 AM »

Happy 100th birthday, Frank!

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 04:46:05 AM »

I am working today, what else?         :)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 04:46:27 AM »

But I am not complaining. I am very happy to be gainfully employed.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 04:47:05 AM »

Just wish I had a little more time to feel my way into the holiday spirit.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 04:49:44 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 05:11:28 AM »

TOD

There are two kinds really. Jersey Boys and Mamma Mia.

The former will work if the story behind the songs is interesting enough to spend two hours or so watching the story unfold and the music is popular and familiar enough with the audiences.

It won't work if the show is about a star like Sinatra or Garland. Most people know who they are and each were unique performers. That the actors that would play would be pale imitations of them.

There are exceptions like the musical about Peter Allen The Boy From Oz. Hugh Jackman was great as Allen but the actors who played Garland and Minnelli could never live up to the real stars. When Jackman left the show closed. It was a mixed jukebox musical. It went the Mamma Mia route using songs as story songs and others as performance songs. The former didn't work for me. I never saw Peter Allen perform live but for me the show was really seeing Jackman on stage.

Which brings us to Mamma Mia. Choosing songs that fit the plot. The show was successful because of the songs and the story was just okay (Although its source was never credited) The songs as plot didn't really work for me because lyrics were not written that way. They can't be rewritten.
Never stop dreaming.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 05:20:30 AM »

TOD:

Having written what might be described as a "jukebox musical"  (i.e. JOLSON), it's my thinking that you can't just depend on the artist's popular book of songs to make it successful.  You also need to tell a dramatic story, rather that a just "and then I wrote (or sang)" approach. 

JERSEY BOYS
, for example, had a good strong story, which is why it was such a big hit.  The familiar songs might be the draw to get folks into the theater, but the book is what will make the show last.

You also have to license the songs associated with the artist(s) the show is about.  Most of the Al Jolson songs were in the public domain, and getting rights to the others was fairly easy.  I send the publishers royalty checks after every production.

On the other hand, ten years later, after a successful staged reading in NY, my Maurice Chevalier play got stuck in limbo because the song licensing process became a mess.  It's still doable, but some producer will have to deal with the music publishers.  I no longer have the patience and the energy.

My most recent "jukebox musical," Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy, is simply looking for a producer and two performers who can do the roles.  No music licensing issues here.  All of the songs are in the public domain.

:)
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 05:42:56 AM »

Good morning, all.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 05:47:33 AM »

TOD:

42nd Street was one jukebox musical that worked for me. Gower Champion and the writers simply took the Al Dubin-Harry Warren songbook and filled out the stage with song and movement and color. The story was slight to begin with, so the songs gave something hokey a little more emotional heft and fun.

I saw Smokey Joe's Cafe twice, and while I like the music, it was a better album than it was two hours+ in the theater. It was just one song after another with no dramatic push, no narrative, nothing but a first act of novelty songs and a second act of big hits. Yawn.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 06:29:18 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  I crashed early last night, so woke up before dawn this morning.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 06:29:41 AM »

Thank you to DR Jeanne for the birthday wish from last night.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2015, 06:30:54 AM »

Today I'm going to take Mom a post-birthday treat from Central Pastry.

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 06:32:10 AM »

TOD - I agree with BK about BEAUTIFUL and with DRs Michael and Druxy about JERSEY BOYS.

KevinH

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 06:32:35 AM »

Good morning!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2015, 06:35:14 AM »

Good morning, all! The dreams are too vague to remember, but it was quite pleasant dozing in bed and quite an effort to rouse myself. But, I am up and dressed and listening to carols.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 06:42:06 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2015, 06:39:50 AM »

I have few plans today: continue with the Dreidel Song, tidy up and vacuum, perhaps go to market.

I've decided I need a piano to hear a couple of things, so I hope i can book a space at the Goodman House for an hour on Monday.  I decided too late yesterday to call them, and they were already closed for the Sabbath.  I'll call tomorrow and see if i can book for Monday morning,
http://www.kaufmanmusiccenter.org/mch/rentals/practice-rooms/
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2015, 06:40:33 AM »

I need to make the bed and have some coffee.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2015, 06:44:53 AM »

Piano vibes for DR ELMORE.

No rain vibes for DR TCB.

Yes DR RLP has been MIA and it's about time for his holiday traveling to begin.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2015, 06:46:20 AM »

Oh,  and it's 64 degrees here this morning.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2015, 06:55:51 AM »

Too warm for Dec. 12!

FJL

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 06:58:32 AM »

When I like a jukebox musical, I prefer to use the nicer-sounding term "catalog musical."   :)

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2015, 06:58:45 AM »

Last night I made a batch of Skyline chili, and it was just "off" somehow, both in taste and texture. 

First mistake was my choice of grated cheese.  I only had some coarsely grated sharp cheddar on hand, and both of those things are wrong:  a milder cheddar might be okay (but I'll have to see if they don't use just plain old American), and it must be finely grated.

Secondly, I used a can of their chili and beans, instead of adding my own beans to their plain chili.  This mixture is awfully thick.  Judiciously adding water a little bit at a time definitely helps bring it close to the proper state, but it's still lacking.  I don't think cramming the beans into the same size can (and apparently concentrating the chili, though they don't suggest thinning it out) is successful, at least for me when I'm going for authentic plate- and mouth-feel.  I'll happily use up the cans I have, but will go back to getting the plain chili and adding my own pinto beans (I think it's pinto they use).

Thirdly, again my fault entirely, I only had a tiny bit of spaghetti handy so I used medium shells instead.  I happen to love shells, and I think they would work better for Cincinnati Chili than they did last night, but I didn't prevent their sticking together enough and they were just a little too "al dente" for this dish.  All my bad.  As they say.

At least I chopped the onion up nicely.

But hey.  Those chili flavors and the basic combination itself are SO DAMNED WONDERFUL that it can take a little mishap or three and still satisfy.  Made at home, this joins the ranks of the great comfort foods.

ChasSmith

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2015, 07:03:22 AM »

Too warm for Dec. 12!

Sun's out now, and we're having 60 today and tomorrow, which means it'll probably feel like summer in NYC.

ChasSmith

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2015, 07:04:22 AM »

Speaking of Dec. 12...

Happy 100th Birthday, Mr. Sinatra.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up