Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MAGIC FINGERS  (Read 19736 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE MAGIC FINGERS
« on: November 05, 2004, 12:00:51 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've digested the notes, the notes are now the reader's digest, and now you must simply post until the magic finger cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 12:01:05 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE MAGIC FINGERS
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 12:03:50 AM »

Pogue: Yes, the very same Rozsa memorial.  I remember Rudy being there.  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 12:05:49 AM »

Well, I was sitting next to him.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 12:09:03 AM »

This is beginning to sound like a scene from Pulp Fiction.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 12:13:04 AM »

I can hardly wait to hear the Writer's Block CD!

CD Player - Pajama Game OBC.
Record Player - Glen Campbell, Wichita Lineman
DVD Player - MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY, the complete 5th season

A warning for DR's interested in this set.  This "official" complete 5th season release contains the EDITED syndication version of the episodes.  You also do not get opening credits with each episode.  They have NOT been digitally enhanced in any way.  Nice to have - but NOT perfect.  I have emailed Questar Entertainment about how I feel, and I will keep you posted.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 12:14:40 AM »

In the DVD:  We finished KEEN EDDIE last night.  A very Keen series.  I'm dismayed there will be no more.  But it ended well.  I've decided this is the only way to watch a TV series anymore.  Wait till a season comes out on DVD...no commercials, no worrying about when it's on and whether you'll be there week to week, get it all at once and it all takes less time.

We are now embarking on the next set of SCTV shows.  Fun, fun, fun.  Best satirical series ever.

CD: Belshazzar's Feast by William Walton. ROBERTA with Alfred Drake and Kitty Carlisle.  On the same CD: VAGABOND KING also with Alfred Drake. "Sons of shame and sorrow/Will you cheer tomorrow/for the crown of Burgundy.

Reading a spate of W.R. Burnett novels.  For work research.  But what fun work.  Both westerns and crime novels.  Good stuff.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 12:31:56 AM »

Good Morning!

CD Player: Nothing
DVD Player: Nothing
VCR: Nothing

And, no, I'm not purposely trying to reference A CHORUS LINE... ;)

OK.. I need sleep.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 01:14:56 AM »

Not much playing right now.  I'm going to have to revamp what's available in the car, in case we've got the younger grandlad in his carseat.  Typical four year old, he's got finicky tastes.

Readingwise, going through Brown's I'm Just Here For More Food and Mimi Sheraton's autobio, Eating My Words.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 01:52:27 AM »

I am up way too early today!

Most likely Shrek 2 will be in the DVD player over the weekend.
Never stop dreaming.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 03:50:07 AM »

The dog Woody referenced yesterday is a German Shorthaired Pointer named Jill.

She's just a year old - her owner breeds and trains hunting dogs, and This Dog Don't Hunt (he feels bad about others he just took out and shot!)

The County Sheriffs may be interested in her as a drug-sniffing trainee.

der Dr. Doolittling Brucer
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 04:16:30 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2004, 04:08:36 AM »

MEDIA CHECK:

CD - A Tale of Two Cities (The Musical)

DVD - Nero Wolfe (Season 2) alternating with The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries

VCR - Gargoyles: Wings of Darkness (The new SCIFI Channel Movie)

BookStand - The New College Latin and English Dictionary (to keep Jose on his toes)

Keyboard - Great Lyricists of Broadway, Hollywood & Tin Pan Alley

der Brucer (who just purchased one of the new-fangled electronic keyboards - you know the kind you say "Keyboard - Sebalius - Finlandia" and off she goes.)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2004, 04:32:05 AM »

As for the TOY (topic of yesterday), I must add (Canadian) Oscar Peterson as a favorite jazz pianist.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 04:39:10 AM »

A DAILY DOSE OF ERUDITION

Divorce : Future tense of marriage.

Cigarette : A pinch of tobacco rolled in paper with fire at one end & a fool on the other.

Lecture : An art of transferring information from the notes of the lecturer to the notes of the students without passing through the minds of either.

Conference : The confusion of one man multiplied by the number present.

Conference Room : A place where everybody talks, nobody listens and everybody disagrees later on.

Committee : Individuals who can do nothing individually and sit to decide that nothing can be done together.

Office : A place where you can relax after your strenuous home life.

Yawn : The only time some married men ever get to open their mouth.

Compromise : The art of dividing a cake in such a way that everybody believes he got the biggest piece.

Tears : The hydraulic force by which masculine willpower is defeated by feminine water power

Dictionary : A place where success comes before work.

Classic : A book which people praise, but do not read.

Smile : A curve that can set a lot of things straight.

Etc. : A sign to make others believe that you know more than you actually do.

Experience : The name men give to their mistakes.

Atom Bomb : An invention to end all inventions.

Philosopher : A fool who torments himself during life, to be spoken of when dead.

Diplomat : A person who tells you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip.

Opportunist : A person who starts taking a bath if he accidentally falls into a river.

Optimist : A person who while falling from the Eiffel Tower says in midway "See I am not injured yet."

Miser : A person who lives poor so that he can die rich.

Father : A banker provided by nature.

Criminal : A guy no different from the rest....except that he got caught.

Boss : Someone who is early when you are late and late when you are early.

Politician : One who shakes your hand before elections and your confidence after.

Doctor : A person who kills your ills by pills, and kills you with his bills.

der Brucer (from a friend's Email)

Ben

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2004, 04:48:21 AM »

As promised, a report on Brooklyn, The Musical.

First, for DTM, who yesterday wrote (in reference to Actor's Equity and tickets):

"...courtesy..."?!?

One of the benefits of membership in the stage actors union is free tickets. They don't happen for Broadway shows as often as they used to, but all "showcase" or Off-Off Broadway shows are open (depending on availability of seats) to Union members for free upon presentation of your Union card. Off-Broadway shows crop up on the free ticket list also and sometimes, if a show is not doing well or the producer wants to generate some publicity or just put buttcheeks in the seat(cheeks) they will give free tickets to a number of outlets to be parceled out to various constituencies. So, as I said, courtesy of Actor's Equity, but it should really be courtesy of the producers of the show, I was able to see Brooklyn last night.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2004, 04:49:36 AM »

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Valmouth%20%5BDRG%5D:1921138455:page=tracks;_ylt

Cleo Laine singing "Magic Fingers" - a snippet. ("I've got magic fingers, where I touch the magic lingers." "With my magic digits, I can soothe your aches and fidgets.")
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 05:09:52 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2004, 04:52:35 AM »

Valmouth ("Magic Fingers") has just been placed on the CD player. I won this CD on ebay -  from seller DR Michael Shayne, ages before I had heard of HHW (the best site on the entire Internet).

DERBRUCER

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2004, 04:56:23 AM »

Godzilla - again!

Subway cars are strewn atop one another in the aftermath of a collision in Washington.

(from CNN)

der "I think I'll Walk" Brucer

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2004, 05:15:32 AM »

Hello, Dear Gang!!

I've had not much good news to report, so I just stayed away. Well, that's not entirely true-- the not-having-good-news part... here I am in New York City. That's good news. And I've seen SIN - not very good, but good performances -- and it brought me into the Clurman Theater at Theater Row... (about which more in a very little while). And I saw a marvelous SMALL musical - 4 people - at Dodger Stages - called The Immigrant. A fine, touching piece wonderfully performed. And I saw the BMI Music Theatre Workshop Showcase on Monday - Huzzah!!! one after another terrific songs and ensembles. You know, that's where Nine and Avenue Q and some other swell peices were birthed. So maybe i've just seen the birthin' of great things!!!

I've been flying back and forth to LA every 2 weeks, cuz the news back home is sad.

BUT - yesterday my dates were confirmed at said Clurman Theater, in Theater Row on 42nd Street: my JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY loads in on March 14, and opens for 2 weeks on March 16. And I'm so happy I could fly!!! Plus, the sky is a bright blue sunshiny gift today, like so many of these NY Autumn Days!!!

Anyhow, my question is this: Jose, are you still unemployed for much of March? Wanna play?
PennyO

Ben

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2004, 05:16:37 AM »

Now, on to Brooklyn.

I have to admit up front, it's not my kind of show. I'm not a fan of the American Idol kind of singing that seems to have taken over the marketplace. The songs and singers play to that style throughout the show. That being said, I did find some good things about the production.

Unfortunately, the book of the show is not one of the good things/strong points in the show. It is trite and hackneyed and sometimes just flat out bad. There are glimmers of good writing, such as a short monologue by "Paradice" the evil diva songstress of the show about how she was created by the American public and her "effect" on the morals of society. Very powerful, especially considering the outcome of the election on Tuesday, but the good parts are buried under some groaningly bad dialogue and a silly "fairytale" aspect of the plot.

The strongest element of the show is the performance. Across the board, the five characters have strong talent and are able to rise above the workmanlike direction to stand out in individual numbers. Cleavant Derricks, who hasn't been on Broadway since Dreamgirls, is dynamite as a narrator/streetsinger/overall presence. Eden Espinosa as Brooklyn is a great talent. She was in Wicked, playing Nessarose and also understudied Elphaba. Even though Cleavant Derricks gets the final bow, it's her show.

As much as I enjoyed the performances, I have to say the vocal pyrotechnics did get a little tiresome at times. The show runs 1:45 minutes without an intermission and at 9:15 I made the mistake of glancing at my watch and thinking, Oh, my God, what are they going to do for another half-hour?

That's the biggest problem with the show, IMHO (in my humble opinion). It's all over the place with the bad book, just adequate direction, music that runs the gamut from great showpiece for a performer to ear-splitting for no apparent reason. There are standout moments which are then followed by exposition and staging that just grinds the show to a halt.

The show has an audience (granted there was paper in the house last night) but still as I was leaving the theatre I overheard many positive comments about the show. The audience also had many teenagers and young adults (the future of the American Musical Theatre) who seemed to love the show. I hope (and wish) that they are interested in all genres of musical theatre, not just the "cutting edge", new rock synthesized pieces which seem to also be the future of American Musical Theatre.

Well, that's enough about Brooklyn. I am glad I saw the show, though it won't be a repeat for me. I wonder how long it will last. I know that Off-Broadway is not a commercially viable outlet in many cases, but it might have done better and would last longer in one of the Dodger Theatrical spaces (the Off-Broadway complex which has opened in the basement of a new building in midtown) or some similar venue.

Now, on to other topics.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 12:10:03 PM by Ben »

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2004, 05:17:50 AM »

Brucer and Woods - I have known and loved a couple of German short-haired pointers. Nice dogs.

Oh, and I'm going to see Elmore today, i think!!! We spoke briefly - he's doing a bit better, but I want him to be WELL already. Enough of this infirmity! Begone, I say!!!
PennyO

Ben

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2004, 05:19:32 AM »

Penny! What great news! I've put it on my calendar. I know that Larry and I will be there and I'm sure other HKs will join the throngs.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2004, 05:21:02 AM »

Oh - and the State Attorney General has gone after that bi*** who made my life such hell when I first got here... she still has my money... BUT - she told my guy over there that i had been there for a month and a half, and I sent evidence of my being in Seattle and LA all during that time, with cell phone records, etc... PLUS emails exchanged between us, PLUS a copy of my boarding pass. And The Guy from the AG office has sent her forms to fill out... "Just write down and sign what you told me, Ma'am..." and he'll have her for perjury, besides!!! Mwuahhh-hahahahahahahahah!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2004, 05:22:00 AM »

BEN!!! Hi, dude!!! Thanks - I'll be sure and keep ya'll posted!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2004, 05:25:56 AM »

Okay - so now it's a jug o' caffeine to get me loaded and ready for bear... more later, Dears. i've missed ya'll.
PennyO

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2004, 05:30:24 AM »

As promised, a report on Brooklyn, The Musical.

First, for DTM, who yesterday wrote (in reference to Actor's Equity and tickets):

"...courtesy..."?!?

One of the benefits of membership in the stage actors union is free tickets. They don't happen for Broadway shows as often as they used to, but all "showcase" or Off-Off Broadway shows are open (depending on availability of seats) to Union members for free upon presentation of your Union card. Off-Broadway shows crop up on the free ticket list also and sometimes, if a show is not doing well or the producer wants to generate some publicity or just put buttcheeks in the seat(cheeks) they will give free tickets to a number of outlets to be parceled out to various constituencies. So, as I said, courtesy of Actor's Equity, but it should really be courtesy of the producers of the show, I was able to see Brooklyn last night.

DR Ben, I was just making a lame joke on the word courtesy, as in an act of kindness.  From what I've heard and read of Brooklyn, I didn't think that Equity was doing you a courtesy at all by giving you tickets to see it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2004, 05:38:04 AM »

Yesterday JRAnd asked:

"Which artist or group do you have the MOST recordings by?"

Well, I'm not a "completist" but there are a few groups for which I think I have everthing or almost everything. I have everything from the Chad Mitchell Trio and the various incarnations (they became the Mitchell Trio after Chad left and had singers come and go, including John Denver). I also have almost  everything by Peter, Paul and Mary, including an odd radio show from 1969 with Skitch Henderson. He hosted a show for National Guard troops and PPM appeared on the show in July and August of 1969 talking and performing some of their songs. I got it on cassette years ago from Sandy Hook (remember them) and just recently transferred it to CD. The only recording of PPM that I don't have is a live recording of a concert in Japan in the late 60s, which I have heard about but never seen. I also think I have everything from Michael Feinstein. I have a great deal of Sondheim, though not everything (I don't have the Night Music w/Judi Dench for example). I also have a lot of Barbara Cook, both show and solo CDs. In fact, I think starting from the Carnegie Hall concert in 1975 I think I have all the commercially produced CDs by Miss Cook. I have all of Nancy LaMott's CDs. I have all of Mandy Patinkin's CDs (I know he's an aquired taste). I have 3 of Lyn Larsen's AKA Music Guy) organ CDs (Kerry, are there any more?). I also have (with the help of DR Jay) the complete set of Capitol Sings CDs, ranging from Harold Arlen to Duke Ellington to Johnny Mercer to Around the World and more. IIRC (if I remember correctly) there are 20 CDs in the set.

That's enough. I don't post much and now I have logorrhea (look it up  ;)).

That's all for now.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2004, 05:40:08 AM »

Good morning, all!  First sleeping night without a Tylenol/Excedrin PM aid.  That's a good sign.

DRD-I-T, VALMOUTH is one of my favorite scores, so I'll plug the TER/JAY Chichester cast recording for a moment:  beautiful chamber orchestration, relatively good cast, and much more complete numbers, like the aphrodisiac section of "Magic Fingers."  I've read the Firbank novel a couple of times, but it's like reading a dirty joke in smoke signals.  Sandy Wilson did a fantastic job of turning it into a decadent, and quite funny, musical.  The other advantage of the TER recording is that it includes the great Bertice Reading, for whom Mme Yajnavalkya was written and who was replaced by Cleo Laine for the West End transfer.  Somewhere on tape I've got a BBC recording of the entire show with Alberta Hunter doing the role.  It's great to hear the whole show but Hunter's a bit too genteel for the old bawd.

Let's proceed to the TOD:
   VCR:  I need to learn how to use this new contraption, which didn't record last weekend.  I'm still bummed, so I need to find the instruction book.  The old SONY was so easy!  I just bought the O.P. Glyndebourne video of Verdi's FALSTAFF, his greatest opera in my book.
   DVD:  I'm leaning toward the new releases of Margot Fonteyn dancing SLEEPING BEAUTY and CINDERELLA with the Royal Ballet.  Her new bio just came out and I want to read it.  After that, I've got some discs courtesy of DRMBarnum to consider.
   CD:  Herbert's BABES IN TOYLAND & THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER, Kern's HAVE A HEART & OH, LADY! LADY! for the project I'm working on, possibly VALMOUTH now, always HAINES HIS WAY, and perhaps some Judy Collins.  I've still got IL TROVATORE with Price and Milnes sitting out, and I've fallen in love with Ponchielli's LA GIOCONDA, fantastic score ("Dance of the Hours") but an almost undecipherable plot.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2004, 05:40:18 AM »

DTM, OK. I get it now  ;D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2004, 05:42:30 AM »

Congrats to DR PennyO on JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY!

And more congrats on her mounting case against the notorious landlady!

And Positive Vibes for whatever is going on back home.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2004, 05:47:18 AM »

I meant to ask:  has anyone seen THE RECKONING with Paul Bettany and Willem Dafoe?  I'm reading MORALITY PLAY, the novel on which it's based, by Barry Unsworth, who wrote a good novel, SONG OF THE KINGS, about Iphigeneia's sacrifice and the need for good propaganda at the beginning of the Trojan War.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up