Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BAND REHEARSAL  (Read 3994 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: THE BAND REHEARSAL
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2016, 08:49:32 AM »

Page 3
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2016, 09:47:54 AM »

My 50th High School reunion is coming up in two years.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2016, 09:59:35 AM »

It isn't fair, Ron.

I remember we had an obituary board up at the 5th reunion. One had committed suicide while we were seniors. Another died from AIDS. The third might have been a hoax. (not what I'd call good taste.)
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2016, 10:36:56 AM »

My 50th reunion is a year from now.  While a tiny part of me wishes I'd go (or, more accurately, wishes I wanted to go - in which case, I would), I really don't, and shan't.  I've never gone to one, and the real regret is that I didn't do it ten or twenty years back when more people I'd actually want to see and spend some time with were participating.

Five years ago I'd just gotten back in touch with a few people and was all for going to the 45th.  I even had reservations made (it's in Fort Lauderdale).  A couple of weeks before, something else came up -- something minor, in comparison, but a thing that I really wanted to do -- and I thought and thought about it before making my decision.  I finally accepted that I liked the IDEA of going more than the reality.  I knew who was going to be there, and it honestly wasn't any of the people I'd had anything in common with and would want to spend time with now.  So I cancelled, and immediately knew I'd done the right thing.  I still stay in touch with them in superficial fashion on Facebook.  (It's my one Facebook activity, the only reason I registered and maintain an account.)

I thought then that I'd probably go to the 50th, but my goodness, how time flies and how easy that was to say.  But I've followed their plans and there's still no one I'd care to see, so it ain't happening.  A small regret...but not a dealbreaker.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2016, 10:56:07 AM »

Yes, I am hoping the herd thins out a bit more before 2018......the only ones passing are the ones I liked....the mean ones hang on.....

ChasSmith

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2016, 11:11:51 AM »

Ain't that the truth.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2016, 11:19:06 AM »

I have this set of two piano-style keyboard pedals (one of several pedals - these things multiply after a while) that I'd never used because the left pedal wouldn't work.  Yesterday I decided enough was enough.  The ACT ONE score calls for the sostenuto pedal (the middle pedal on a piano) and I thought how nice it would be to use this set of pedals instead of two separate ones.  Big deal, because I could use any two pedals.  But hey, why not fix this set or toss this bloody thing after owning it for ten years?

So, after troubleshooting like crazy to determine that it was indeed one pedal or its connecting cable that was the culprit, I took off the bottom plate to see what I could see.  Well, the mechanism is quite simple and so are the electronics which are basically a little on-off switch that's activated when a pedal is pushed down.  No connections or wires were broken and both the working and the non-working side looked identical.  I plugged them in and went through my testing again, plunking keys with one hand and manually operating the little switches with my other hand.  Glory be, they both worked!  So something was wrong with how the physical pedal mechanism itself was making contact with the little switchy-poo thing (I believe that's the technical term).

I carefully reassembled the parts, again plugged everything back in, and could practically hear a heavenly choir singing the Hallelujah Chorus as both pedals worked as they should have since...um...2006.

Congrats on the fixing and the fixing ability, ChasSmith! 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2016, 11:26:54 AM »

Looking back, high school was a mixed bag:

1) -- It was not a very happy time in my life, and I was pretty much a loner.  That said, most of that is not because of me or other people's reactions to me but because of my situation at home with an alcoholic father.  In truth, although I thought that I "hated" school and the students there, the truth is that many of those students were an escape from the misery of "home".  I was not "friends" with any of them in the conventional sense.  Never got invited to their homes nor did they get invited to mine.  I had one best friend in whom I could confide until his family moved to Atlanta, Georgia just before our Junior Year.  Joining Thespians opened up a semi-social life for me in that we had monthly meetings in the homes of other members.

2) Some of the "at-school friends" I had were genuine people who sought to engage me during breaks in classes and who encouraged me.  I think of them with very pleasant feelings.  Sadly, one of them is among the deceased.  Others are "missing" (i.e., could not be found via social media or school records).  My school time was my "alive" time. 

When I went off to college I underwent metamorphosis.  It didn't hurt to be a theater major and to be among other imaginative/creative people.  It was the happiest time of my life.  I WILL be attending THAT 50-year anniversary in 2020.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:28:27 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2016, 11:34:56 AM »

This past Friday evening, my high school's Class of 1966 (my class) held its 50th reunion in Greenville SC.  I had hoped, over the course of the past year, that I might somehow be available to attend (contingent upon being retired and back in SC), but that has not happened.  For one night of fun with folks I haven't seen in 50 years, the airline tickets, hotel and rental car costs would have been too dear.

That said, I have encouraged my FB classmate friends to share photos and memories with those of us who could not attend.  And they have.  I have seen photos of folks I recognize despite the changes life makes upon all of us since high school.   The reunion committee shared a list of those classmates who have departed.  I was shocked and saddened to read the names of so many people I remember so vividly -- 50-plus years ago -- in elementary school, junior high school and high school.  My memories are like those of most of us remembering friends we haven't seen in decades:  They are young and vital individuals who touched us, made us laugh, challenged us and became part of who we are today.  And then we learn they have passed on.  They did not ask our permission and did not say goodbye.

How is that fair?

Our's should be in February but I doubt anyone has even begun planning something.  Likely there will be a nice casual luncheon in the spring.

You have expressed the emotions of our classmates who have passed beautifully.  Once you retire and move, think about having a casual reunion.  Our class doesn't wait every ten years anymore.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2016, 11:39:14 AM »

My 50th reunion is a year from now.  While a tiny part of me wishes I'd go (or, more accurately, wishes I wanted to go - in which case, I would), I really don't, and shan't.  I've never gone to one, and the real regret is that I didn't do it ten or twenty years back when more people I'd actually want to see and spend some time with were participating.

Five years ago I'd just gotten back in touch with a few people and was all for going to the 45th.  I even had reservations made (it's in Fort Lauderdale).  A couple of weeks before, something else came up -- something minor, in comparison, but a thing that I really wanted to do -- and I thought and thought about it before making my decision.  I finally accepted that I liked the IDEA of going more than the reality.  I knew who was going to be there, and it honestly wasn't any of the people I'd had anything in common with and would want to spend time with now.  So I cancelled, and immediately knew I'd done the right thing.  I still stay in touch with them in superficial fashion on Facebook.  (It's my one Facebook activity, the only reason I registered and maintain an account.)

I thought then that I'd probably go to the 50th, but my goodness, how time flies and how easy that was to say.  But I've followed their plans and there's still no one I'd care to see, so it ain't happening.  A small regret...but not a dealbreaker.

We have found the people that go to the reunions now are very friendly.  It doesn't matter if we were friends back when or not, or even if we recognize each other.  Every one talks :)  I suppose this is also why our class began having more frequent gatherings.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2016, 11:39:15 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - I do believe I got a little over ten hours of glorious sleep.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2016, 11:41:20 AM »

I've never gone to any of my class reunions...mainly because I wasn't friends with many people in my class (1984).  I was a choir geek and most of my friends in choir were in other classes.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2016, 11:41:45 AM »

Looking back, high school was a mixed bag:

1) -- It was not a very happy time in my life, and I was pretty much a loner.  That said, most of that is not because of me or other people's reactions to me but because of my situation at home with an alcoholic father.  In truth, although I thought that I "hated" school and the students there, the truth is that many of those students were an escape from the misery of "home".  I was not "friends" with any of them in the conventional sense.  Never got invited to their homes nor did they get invited to mine.  I had one best friend in whom I could confide until his family moved to Atlanta, Georgia just before our Junior Year.  Joining Thespians opened up a semi-social life for me in that we had monthly meetings in the homes of other members.

2) Some of the "at-school friends" I had were genuine people who sought to engage me during breaks in classes and who encouraged me.  I think of them with very pleasant feelings.  Sadly, one of them is among the deceased.  Others are "missing" (i.e., could not be found via social media or school records).  My school time was my "alive" time. 

When I went off to college I underwent metamorphosis.  It didn't hurt to be a theater major and to be among other imaginative/creative people.  It was the happiest time of my life.  I WILL be attending THAT 50-year anniversary in 2020.

Your memories sound like mine in Jr. High & High School.  The friends I made in the drama class were my salvation.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2016, 01:01:42 PM »

I've answered Ye Olde e-mails, I've shaved, I'm about to shower, then I'll hopefully pick up some packages, then I shall be on my way to LACC.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2016, 01:01:48 PM »

That is a very familiar story DR RLP.

ChasSmith

« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2016, 01:05:29 PM »

I need to decide on something really good to watch tonight.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2016, 01:08:36 PM »

I'd rather re/unite with folks of my choosing. So, when's the next HHW reunion?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2016, 01:29:27 PM »

Ron P - Many thanks for sharing those thoughts, all of them, but especially about those who left us.

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2016, 01:39:49 PM »

Wednesday afternoon greetings!  Fr. Richard's clergy study group met here today, so I cleared out to do errands and spend the afternoon with a friend who has a broken leg.  She's recuperating at home, but can't be left alone and her husband needed to get out for a while.  Margie and I had a nice visit and now I'm home.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2016, 01:40:19 PM »

DR Elmore, one of my errands was to the post office to get a package off to you!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2016, 02:03:38 PM »

I am going to ask the MD to record my part of the song only for me, then I can use the recording to learn the notes.

For some reason, this music doesn't make any sense to me when I look at it....and most of the singing on the recording is with another actor.....hopefully this will help.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2016, 02:03:46 PM »

And I must be off.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2016, 03:00:02 PM »

I am home.  It was a good day, but a long one, and I am exhausted.  I put the bowings into the new Violin parts, checked the cello and viola parts for the number, and that took me four hours.  Then i took two buses to the Laurie Beechman Theatre, visited with my Wright State friends, watched the showcase, and got onto a 104 bus  which dropped me off about 15 minutes ago.  I'm going to eat, chill out and be in bed quite soon.  I am exhausted.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2016, 03:18:48 PM »

Good afternoon.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2016, 03:19:12 PM »

I have been out of town for several days birdwatching.

Laura

« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2016, 03:19:42 PM »

Re reunions: I still need to lose the 30 pounds I needed to lose before the reunion ten years ago.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2016, 03:58:24 PM »

Wednesday afternoon greetings!  Fr. Richard's clergy study group met here today, so I cleared out to do errands and spend the afternoon with a friend who has a broken leg.  She's recuperating at home, but can't be left alone and her husband needed to get out for a while.  Margie and I had a nice visit and now I'm home.

I'm sure your visit was a nice break for both of them.

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2016, 04:48:59 PM »

I hope so, DR Jane.  Margie broke her leg in a hiking accident on April 18 and I think the "novelty" has worn off for both her and her husband.  They're in it for a very long haul.

KevinH

« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2016, 04:58:50 PM »

Hello!

KevinH

« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2016, 04:59:07 PM »

One more!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up