Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS VERY DAY  (Read 19359 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THIS VERY DAY
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2004, 06:47:03 PM »

DR Jay mentioned A Place in the Sun...

I rented this movie a few years ago after seeing Shelley Winters on "Inside the Actor's Studio" where they showed a clip of the movie.  What an eye-opener!  I only really knew Shelley Winters through The Poseidon Adventure and her appearances of TV's "Roseanne", so...

And I heartily agree that that scene on the boat is one of the wonders of the cinema.

Shelley Winters also did a brief recitation of a passage from Shakespeare on that episode of "Inside the Actor's Studio" that also had me in awe.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 06:48:12 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2004, 06:53:17 PM »

DR Jane - Gorgeous Pics of Lithia Park!  Thank You!

Alas, the height the fall-foliage-color season here in Richmond occured whie I was in Houston.  Your pics helped to ease my "disapppointment".
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2004, 06:54:17 PM »

Did Donald's friend have a sex change?

The original mule was Francis, the post-op mule would be Frances - it's a gender thing you see.

Ah, how to remember which is the male, which is the female - one with letter "e" one with letter "i" - easy - just think of the appropriate sex organ and you'll get the spelling correct.

der Brucer (always glad to share his worldly wisdom)

PS Woody said that with a mule he doesn't think it matters much - SO CRUEL!

Just small print and my lousy vision-I should have used my brain and not my eyes.  I can always count on someone here to point out my mistakes.  You are too kind.  :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2004, 06:56:47 PM »

DR SWW asked about restaurants...

The only one that comes to mind is Rao's in New York City, well, up in Spanish Harlem.  It truly is a "hard table" to get.  Regardless of how good the food is there, I just want to get in!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2004, 06:59:02 PM »

DR DERBRUCER - As for some post-grappa ButtCheekaGrabba...

:o

:-X

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2004, 07:00:37 PM »

You are too kind.  :D

Thank you - but when bk returns and sees you all let the 75,000th post anniversary pass with nary a nod, there will be hell to pay, oh, yes, hell to pay! :'(

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2004, 07:04:12 PM »

Jose thank you.  I had several similar comments from those who didn’t get to enjoy fall this year.

Shelly Winters lived around the corner from my father.  Only once did I see her at that was at Nate 'n Als deli in Beverly Hills.  Before we saw her we heard her unique voice.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2004, 07:06:08 PM »

DR TCB - If you want to write to Jerry Herman, you should be able to reach him via the Marquis Theatre since La Cage aux Folles just started previews.  -And I know he's "in residence" right now since a friend of mine who is one of the new Cagelles is in the show.  He's not a constant presence, but he's popping in and out on a regular basis.  Worth a try.

c/oMarquis Theatre
1535 Broadway
New York, NY 10036-4077

*I've written to a couple of people (composers, directors, actors, etc.) in care of the theatre where their current show is playing, and I have a very good track record of reponses.)

Thank you, Jose, I will give that a try.
[/size]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2004, 07:08:23 PM »

Remember my lousy eyesight!  So where on this page does it say that and where are your balloons? :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2004, 07:08:57 PM »

RE: Dream Vacations

For a pampered, total luxury vacation:  I saw a vacation package listed for some astronomical price that the Mandarin Hotel Group offers.  Basically, you can pick from two to four cities/hotels from their various properties around the globe.  First class all the way: airline tickets, suite accomodations, Michelin rated restaurants, etc.  Lots of perks, tons of amenities.  The "dream package" I priced included 3-4 night stays in Tokyo, Paris, Sydney and Beijing.  The package averaged just under $2000... per night!!!!!

As for wonders-of-nature, wonders-of-the-world vacation... After seeing the amazing photographs that a friend of mine took, I'd have to say the Chinese countryside - and there's LOTS of countryside in China!  The rivers, the mountains, the desserts... And, of course, The Great Wall.   Truly wondrous.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2004, 07:15:42 PM »

Roger DeBris (from The Producers) and Daniel Davis (of TV's The Nanny) are starring in LA CAGE AUX FOLLES???  I guess they didn't figure they needed big names to sell the show this time around.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 07:17:04 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2004, 07:20:38 PM »

DR WFO and the original tape sessions for A Chorus Line...

Actually, Baayork Lee mentioned these while were rehearsing A Chorus Line in Houston.  -And the cast members also asked about them too.  From what I can remember, some of the tapes were lost, but some of them are being held by Michael Bennett's estate (lawyers).  There have been talks to have them publicly released at some point, but the legalities involved are understandably quite involved.  However, some of the early rehearsal materials - early versions of the scripts, songs, etc. - will be distributed to the Lincoln Center Library, the Library of Congress and the Smithsonian at some point.  As to who gets what - and why - well... ??

-I can't remember if it's documented in any of the various books that have been published about the making of A Chorus Line, but the original concept of the finale was quite different from what they ended up with.  I, for one, would still love to see Connie coming out on a grand piano!

You may find more information over at

http://www.achorusline.org

Baayork started this site a few years ago.  It's for the whole ACL family - cast members, musicians, children of cast members and musicians, etc.  Many of the original members post regularly.  Some of the updates are very funny, informative, and, yes, at times, heartbreaking.  But like, HHW, it's a very friendly face, and it's provided a place for all ACL alumni - of any production around the world to share their experiences.  -You can also link to directly to Baayork's e-mail and ask her some questions... ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 07:29:21 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2004, 07:20:53 PM »

DR SWW asked about restaurants...

He can ask away - me, I just want to go back to Les Sans Culottes and nosh on the appetizer basket of Raw Vegetables,Sausages, Chef's Pate and House Vinaigrette, Panier de crudites,Potence de Cochonailles, Terrine Maison - and an endless entorage of lovely lasses bearing baskets of crusty french bread.

der Brucer (who hears the kitchen astir with grilled ribeye steaks with blue cheese, sauted baby spinach with mushrooms, and left-over home made mac and cheese and a bottle of Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais-Villages to ease it on down (a WIZ reference).
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2004, 07:21:04 PM »

Actually, it is too bad that George Bush Sr. is retired.  He and Bob Dole would be great
in LA CAGE AUX FOLLES!
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2004, 07:31:56 PM »

DR MBarnum - RE: your "handsome nephew" John...

WOOF!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: November 13, 2004, 07:36:26 PM »

I'm back from Grand Hotel, which I found to be more like Not-So-Grand Hotel.  I know I disagree with dear reader Jay on this but I'll talk about it in my notes.  It was all very competent, and I applaud anyone who can put together a complicated musical.  But I found much not too like and not enough to like.  Again, this may simply be a symptom of my having seen Mr. Tune's production quite a few times.

75,000 postings.  Amazing.  Splendiferous.  And I finished my script this morning.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2004, 07:37:54 PM »

RE: Metropolis, the Musical...

-A high school just outside of DC did this show a couple of years ago, and the writer and composer actually helped out with this production.  There were some additions, deletions and tweaks.  The head of their drama program wrote to them, and, voila!, the students ended up being part of a workshop of sorts.

-The D.C. Gay Men's Chorus performed a great of arrangement of "You Are The Light".  A local diva was the soloist.  It was a great performance - and the arrangement for male chorus was/is well-done.  -I can't remember who did the chart, but I was lucky enough to get a copy of it! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2004, 08:10:40 PM »

And, of course, Marin Mazzie's husband was in the original Broadway cast of THE FULL MONTY.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2004, 08:14:34 PM »

Yes, DR George, I'm not going to worry about the dance moves right now. We're doing Act I Monday night, and if I can get through the parts of "A Carnival Christmas" that I'm playing, I'll be satisfied. Besides, the actress playing the Reverend Mother (whose solo song it is; I'm only her back-up) has never gotten the moves right a single time we've done it.

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2004, 08:15:44 PM »

I got through three episodes on the latest FRIENDS boxed set, and I have to say these transfers are the sharpest and clearest they've ever done. I was astonished at the detail from these standard definition transfers.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2004, 08:19:53 PM »

I'm assuming Gary Beach is playing Albin in this production of LA CAGE. Well, he might not be a household name, but he is a Tony Award winner. I do think they're expecting the title to be the selling point now. Of course, I'm not sure George Hearn was much of a box-office lure back in 1984 either, and he DID get top billing over Gene Barry who was the far more famous name.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2004, 08:45:29 PM »

And speaking of Jonathan Freeman, he's currently co-starring in The Producers on Broadway as Roger DeBris which we saw on Thursday night in NYC...  But before we settled into our eighth row(!), center(!!), on the aisle(!!!) seats at the St. James that night...  -And, yes, I just walked up to the box office, asked what they had available... And, again, the guy at the window was doing some paper-shuffling...  I actually think we ended up with a pair of seats that are set aside for the Broadway Inner Circle program... In any case...

But before heading to the theatre that night, we basically just ended up exploring lower Manhattan.  Our day started off at J&R down by City Hall.  Steve had to scout out some new computer equipment and supplies, and I was just scouting out CDs and DVDs.  Surprisingly, I only ended up purchasing 3 CDs - the new Manhattan Transfer ("Vibrate"), Dawn Upshaw's new recital disc about songs of "light" (Debussy, Messiaen, et al), and the OCR of Hallelujah, Baby.  I had some other possible purchases in and out of my hands, but just really wasn't in a "buy everything" mood.  Best off all, all three discs were on sale for $12.99 or less!  Steve also picked up some new choral CDs for his collection and reference.

After leaving J&R, we walked over to Ground Zero...  I still get choked up...

Then we ambled around for a bit... Over to the courts buildings - more pic-taking opportunities for Steve - which were surprisingly and pleasantly quiet since it was a holiday.  Then up a few blocks to Canal Street and Chinatown.  I realized I hadn't been in Chinatown in years - probably at least 10 years!  Ah, the hustle and the bustle.  Steve commented that he started feeling like he had to buy something since there were just so many things on display all along the sidewalks.

We ended up at some place called Ping for a late lunch, dim sum.  Pretty good, although, the staff more or less made their "inconvenience" known - they were about to settle down to their own lunch in the back tables.  Ah, well... It wasn't bad service, just not the right attitude.

We then walked up Mulberry and continued into Little Italy.  Ah, the hustle and the bustle.  And the smell of tomatoes and garlic in the air!  We almost had a second late lunch!  More pictures, more people watching, more window shopping.

Then it was a walk through a bit of SoHo and TriBeCa.  Steve bought me a "Devil Julius" t-shirt at the Paul Frank store.  Very cute - and practical too - it's black, so I can wear it in the pit (I hope the devil monkey is not too big).  Then it was over to Broadway and then up a few blocks to catch the subway back up to 49th Street.  We checked into Sam Ash before heading back to the hotel...

Whew!  We had basically been our feet for about seven hours straight by that time, and we needed the time to rest our footsies before heading out the theatre that night.  But I just love walking the Island, and Steve did too - even though he did end up with a blister.  :(

After about an hour and a half respite, we headed over to the St. James for The Producers.  Steve had not seen the show before, and, I also realized that it was my first time actually seeing it from a seat(!).  And since I had just played the show here in Richmond...

The show is in very good shape.  Brad Oscar is a fine Max; he's really made the part his own.  Hunter Foster is currently playing Leo.  He's good, but I wasn't totally won over by his portrayal - it seemed a little forced at times.  However, my favorite performer and performance of the evening was Jonathan Freeman as Roger DeBris.  His mugging and smugging throughout the evening were a guaranteed laugh and smile.  Brooks Ashmanskas is currently playing Carmen Ghia - he's good, but I got "distracted" by my own thoughts about his casting - I had just never thought of Brooks Ashmanskas as a Carmen Ghia.  ???  But a very good performance, and his physical comedy skills get put to good use.

After the show, we headed back over to Becco for a light, post-show meal.  We just supped on two appetizers: Lidia Bastanich's signature Crispy Shrimp Appetizer, and their Insalada Misto which consisted of some grilled vegetable and some seafood preparations (in this case, grilled octopus and a whipped cod-fish spread).  And our server was kind of enough to bring out a small dish of their fresh riccotta topped with orange blossom honey and freshly cracked black pepper - one of my favorites there.  It turned out to be quite a bit more food than the "appetizer" heading led us to think, but that turned out to be a good thing.  For dessert, we ordered their Fruit Grappa Sampler - three of their of house-made grappas.

In short, grappa is basically Italian moonshine.  It is usually made from the remnants of the wine-making process.  Grappas may taste - and smell(!) - like it is almost pure alcohol, but it's usually in the 80 to 90 proof range.  In any case, Becco infuses their own grappa with various fruits - in fact, they literally store the jars on the shelves around the restaurant, and then just take them down when someone orders them.  So we ordered pineapple, red currant and pear this time round.  -It was pineapple and fig on Tuesday night.  All three choices were quite wonderful.  Very smooth.  And they serve the grappa with pieces of the fruit too.  And, yes, you can even eat the fruit... if you dare!  Since the alcohol basically leeches out all the flavor and sugar from the fruit, the "fruit" basically ends up as fiber and alcohol.  It's almost hot on the tongue and going down the throat.  Well, it is.   :P

There was a wonderful couple from Pacific Bay, CA, who were sitting next to us.  They were in town for the week celebrating their wedding anniversary.  Well... After they heard us talking about and drinking our grappa, they ended up ordering a post-dessert glass of pear grappa for themselves.  -We even passed our glasses over to them beforehand for a brief sniff - "Whew! - I'm drunk from the fumes!"  They thanked us for introducing them to the libation!   ;D

...Then it was over to Times Square for the last few photo-ops, and a brief run into the Virgin Megastore - they had Broadway: The Golden Age on sale!  Then back to the hotel...

Then the drive back home yesterday in the rain.. UGH!....

All in all - except for yesterday's rain - it was a great trip up to NYC.  And it was also great to spend some more time with Steve.  He truly is my best friend, and any time with him is a special time.  Hopefully, we'll be back up their next February/March... or at least while Jewish Thighs is running.   :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2004, 08:52:21 PM »

RE: Broadway: The Golden Age...

As I posted after I saw the film this past summer while I was in L.A., I too was moved to tears a few times while watching those people on screen.  The passion, the fondness, the love.  It all rang true.  And the Laurette Taylor segment was a revelation.  I can't wait to check out the extras on the DVD.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2004, 08:56:34 PM »

DR Tomovoz - Time... I think I still have the double-LP set somewhere in my collection.  -Was it a double set?  -Oh, and the holographic image too!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2004, 08:56:53 PM »

Such a wonderful description, DRJOSE.  I am so happy that you had a wonderful time - and that you had a wonderful friend to share it with!  It's almost like being there!

Hopefully once DRPANNI gets settled in we can start our European jaunt!

DRJOSE - I just realized the Bayyork Lee was a dancer in the Original Broadway cast of FLOWER DRUM SONG!

DRJANE Kongo is on later tonight and  if I am awake, I am going to watch it!

Tomorrow is PHANTOM day!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2004, 09:06:24 PM »

DR DERBRUCER - You post about "The Golden Phone" reminded me about this:

The Pope gathered the College of Cardinals together in order to share some very important news with them.

"I am here today to share some good news and some bad news with you."

-What's the good news?

"I now have definite proof of the existence of God."

-What is it?

"I received a call from him this morning."

-Oh, that is wonderful news.  What is the bad news?

"He was calling from Salt Lake City."

...Remember the rule...

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2004, 09:15:59 PM »

Such a wonderful description, DRJOSE.  I am so happy that you had a wonderful time - and that you had a wonderful friend to share it with!  It's almost like being there!

DRJOSE - I just realized the Bayyork Lee was a dancer in the Original Broadway cast of FLOWER DRUM SONG!

Thank you, DRJrand.

Baayork has had quite the career.  She truly is a virtual walking-talking history of Broadway.  In addition to being in the original cast of Flower Drum Song, she was also in the original casts of The King & I, Bravo Giovanni, Golden Boy, Henry, Sweet Henry, Promises, Promises and Seesaw.

Her dedication to A Chorus Line and her love and memory of Michael Bennett - and her devotion to continuing his legacy is a true inspiration.  Additionally, she also actively takes a dancer under her wing and mentors them as a choreograpers-to-be.  And she's about to start on another major project involving Asian-Americans in theatre.  I am very honored to be able to call her a friend.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2004, 09:16:15 PM »

Sounds like you had a wonderful New York City visit Jose! You do very well with sightseeing!

MBarnum

« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2004, 09:18:20 PM »

My nephew Jeff is now in Ireland and will be in Texas sometime Sunday...then in Portland later that day...so he made it out of Iraq just fine it sounds like! Whew! With all the fighting this weekend I was afraid he would not be allowed to leave.

It looks as though family in Salem/Portland area may be able to get together with him before he heads down to Medford.

MBarnum

« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2004, 09:21:24 PM »

Just finished watching THE DEVIL'S PARTNER on DVD and early 1960s horror film starring Ed Nelson, Richard Crane and Jean Allison...I liked it...very creepy and interesting.

Now I think I might dip into my W.C. Fields and Marx Bros. DVD sets and watch a few good comedies then off to bed!

Yep, this is what my Saturday nights are like! LOL! Boy, I can remember the days when my Saturday's were a lot different...hmmm...or maybe they weren't! OH, well.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up