Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS VERY DAY  (Read 19370 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THIS VERY DAY
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2004, 03:29:50 PM »

I don't know from Kongo....I know Konga!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Danise

« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2004, 03:47:37 PM »

Hi folks.

I haven't fell off the face of the earth.  I've had some issues to deal with as well.  Some good, some not so good.

I know I owe some of you e-mails.  They are forthcoming.

I really don't have much to say.  I finely decided to get the last two seasons of Babylon 5.  I only have to get the movies and the Ranger collection when it is released then I'll have the whole Babylon 5 story in hand.  Yay!

My white four o'clock gave me a nice gift.  Three seeds.  I'll save them to plant in Spring.  

I went to the dentist the other day.  He hit my lip with the drill and split it.  Not horrible/bad but it did hurt like the dickens for a day or two.  No, I am not going to sue him.  It was an accident, pure and simple.  Lips don't scar so I'm not worried about it.

That's all the news I can share.  I hope everyone is doing well.  I need to go back and read all the posts.

Laters, as someone on the always says.  ;)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

François de Paris

« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2004, 03:59:26 PM »

He hit my lip with the drill and split it.

Stupid dentist!
Is he charging for that too???
I would not go back!

First tought i had read:
"He lit my hip... " which would have been less painful! :)

François de Paris

« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2004, 04:02:55 PM »

Laters, as someone on the always says.  ;)

Yep! It's DR Jose Imelda Piano! :D

td

• td
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2004, 04:09:07 PM »

My SOUTH PACIFIC bad CAST:

Nellie - Barbra Streisand
Emile -  Tom Waits
Bloody Mary -  Marin Mazzie
Liat - Olivia DeHavilland
Cable - Gary Coleman
Luther - Stacy Keach
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2004, 04:13:28 PM »

FEEL BETTER VIBES TO DR DANISE
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

François de Paris

« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2004, 04:25:11 PM »

Hmmm...

I'm sure Marin Mazzie would be good as Bloody Mary!

François de Paris

« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2004, 04:37:17 PM »

The dream cast that should please DR Noël!

Nellie - Linda Eder
Emile -  Andrew L. Webber
Bloody Mary -  Michael Ball -- Danise and Tomovoz are going to hate me for that!!
Liat -  Sarah Brightman
Cable - Leslie Bricusse
Luther - Frank Wildhorn with Bloubil as understudy!

MBarnum

« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2004, 04:38:36 PM »

Oh, gosh Danise, what a horrible dentist visit you had! I would imagine that the dentist is quite embarrassed.

François de Paris

« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2004, 04:41:07 PM »

My SOUTH PACIFIC bad CAST:

Olivia DeHavilland

She's not available; she's touring France in a French -- of course -- adaptation of the Harold Rome's musical version of Gone With The Years....hmmm..... the Wind!

François de Paris

« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2004, 04:42:28 PM »

Oh, gosh Danise, what a horrible dentist visit you had! I would imagine that the dentist is quite embarrassed.

.... and clumpsy!
He should be starring in Little Shop Of Horrors!

MBarnum

« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2004, 04:46:56 PM »

Just finished watching my 3rd Bollywood movie this weekend! Whew, that is a lot of celluloid!

This one was so much fun...the title was SHREE GANESH (1962). It is one of those crazy Hindu mythological films. This one has a goddess who creates a son out a a clay statue. Her husband does not realize the little boy is now his son and he beheads the little tike. Realizing his mistake he replaces the kids head with that of an elephant...LOL...all of this in just the first 10 minutes! The movie moves between characters in heaven and characters on earth and there are some half-bear/half men creatures, flying chairs, a gem that showers the owner with gold, lots of pretty women, men who wear way too much lipstick, a lion, and so much more! It is black and white with some wonderful dance scenes in color! Lots of pink sets! Just a wild, fun movie! You would have to see it to believe it!

Mahipal, Sahira, Indira, and Malka star in SHREE GANESH.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 04:48:20 PM by MBarnum »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2004, 04:50:42 PM »

.... and clumpsy!
He should be starring in Little Shop Of Horrors!

;D ;D

Danise I really hope you didn't have to pay for the visit.  If he didn't offer you should ask.

I once gagged while the drill was in my mouth and pushed the dentist hand.  I gave us both a fright and will never do that again.  Fortunately the drill just missed my cheek.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2004, 04:56:24 PM »

Progress on the accordian is coming slowly but surely. Now, I have to get my hands and feet coordinated. No, I'm not playing the accordian with my feet. But I do have some dance moves to perform while playing it with my fingers.

I'm so sorry! When I had to play the accordian for Carnival, I was lucky.  I didn't have any choreography at all.  I just had to sit on a bench at the top of the show and play the "Love Makes the World Go 'Round" melody.  When I got through it once, I was done.  Then I got up and we started the show...or something like that.  If I would've had to dance AND play the accordian, I'd probably have been fired!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 04:57:22 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

François de Paris

« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2004, 04:59:08 PM »

Just finished watching my 3rd Bollywood movie this weekend! Whew, that is a lot of celluloid!

This one was so much fun...the title was SHREE GANESH (1962). It is one of those crazy Hindu mythological films. This one has a goddess who creates a son out a a clay statue. Her husband does not realize the little boy is now his son and he beheads the little tike. Realizing his mistake he replaces the kids head with that of an elephant...LOL...all of this in just the first 10 minutes! The movie moves between characters in heaven and characters on earth and there are some half-bear/half men creatures, flying chairs, a gem that showers the owner with gold, lots of pretty women, men who wear way too much lipstick, a lion, and so much more! It is black and white with some wonderful dance scenes in color! Lots of pink sets! Just a wild, fun movie! You would have to see it to believe it!

Mahipal, Sahira, Indira, and Malka star in SHREE GANESH.

Sounds like a remake of  Elephant Man to me! :D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2004, 05:01:00 PM »

Today, I watched most of both volumes of "Broadway's Lost Treasures."  Volume 2 arrived today!!  I don't know enough of what had been performed to worry about woulda-shoulda-coulda and might-have-beens.  I loved most of it and skipped over whatever I didn't want to watch.  Ain't technology amazing?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

François de Paris

« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2004, 05:04:57 PM »

I'm sure BK, SWW, and JosePiano all prefer
GANACHE to GANESH but to each his own!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 05:06:27 PM by François de Paris »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2004, 05:14:24 PM »

Isn't MRBK at Grand Hotel right now?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2004, 05:14:43 PM »

Good vibes to Danise......

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2004, 05:29:20 PM »

Hi, all. Taking a moment between move stuff to say hello. Thanks for the welcome back, Matt! (I haven't read all the posts - so if I'm being rude to anyone, I apologize.) Today, among other things, I deconstructed the tower of boxes in the garage. I also met the husband of the woman downstairs in my new place and it turns out he's a Canadian - from Toronto. I hired a man to pack my books. He was supposed to get here at 9. Got here at 1. There was a minimum of 3 hours to pay for. But I had so much to do (away from home) that I let him go after an hour and a half.
Okay, doggie for a walk, then back to it. I must go out and buy some things I'll need.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2004, 05:40:02 PM »

Good Evening!

I slept until just before Noon this morning! Very nice.  And very much needed.  After not sleeping at all Sunday night before flying back from Houston... After only getting about two to three hours of sleep Monday night since I was getting ready for my trip up to New York City... And then there were the past few days in New York City...  Whew!  But I feel pretty well rested right now.

I spent the first part of my day going through some more mail and checking to make sure my bills were up-to-date and paid - or at least checking when some of them are due.  After a few hours of that, I took a walk through Carytown.  Did some window shopping.  Did some grocery shopping.

-And it was quite brisk and nippy today here in Richmond.  But I tend to like cool Fall weather, so...

For the past couple of hours, I've been catching up on the Notes and Posts from the past couple of days.  I also had some dinner (fried chicken livers) and some snacks (Chocolate Creme cookies (Oreo-like)).

And now I shall attempt to respond to some of the things from the past couple of days, as well as reporting on some of my New York City adventures from the past week...

I sense a frenzy in the air!

On Your Mark!
Get Set!
GO!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2004, 05:41:27 PM »

Including a new broom.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2004, 05:47:02 PM »

How I found HHW...

I think it was through a link on Sondheim.com - which I never really read that much, but just sort of checked into from time to time.

It really has been wonderful having such a nice place to come to on a daily basis - or at least on a whenever I can basis.  Great discussions.  Great humor.   Great information.  But, more importantly, Great People.  -Not just screennames.  I've been lucky to have met more than a few DRs in person, and, like many others have expressed, I hope someday to meet all of you!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2004, 05:50:09 PM »

As for Gone With The Wind and 2001: A Space Odyssey...  I've never gotten either of these films either.  I've tried and tried to watch both of them since I'm "supposed" to like them, love them in fact, but I find my wandering within a few minutes of each of them.  It's probably the fact that I'm "supposed" to love them that I just can't let the films happen on their own.  Someday...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2004, 05:54:51 PM »

DR TCB - If you want to write to Jerry Herman, you should be able to reach him via the Marquis Theatre since La Cage aux Folles just started previews.  -And I know he's "in residence" right now since a friend of mine who is one of the new Cagelles is in the show.  He's not a constant presence, but he's popping in and out on a regular basis.  Worth a try.

c/oMarquis Theatre
1535 Broadway
New York, NY 10036-4077

*I've written to a couple of people (composers, directors, actors, etc.) in care of the theatre where their current show is playing, and I have a very good track record of reponses.)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2004, 06:11:20 PM »

Wednesday in New York with Jose and Steve...

We ended up staying at the good ole and old Edison Hotel.  Right smack in the middle of everything.  I had originally planned on my usual stand-by and preferred hotel, The Skyline, but they were booked solid, so... And as I mentioned in last week's posts, after some questioning and queries from the hotel's reservations agent, I was able to secure a very decent rate ($150/night).  We had a nice, smallish room that ended up having an nice/interesting view of part of the NYC skyline - or at least the "skyline" of the theatre district.  In any case...

On the way to the State Theatre to catch the dress rehearsal of Cinderella, Steve and I stopped into the Time-Warner center to see what all the fuss was about.  WOW!  Now I know.  Yes, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is it's own marvel.  And that Whole Foods is very nice - and I was very pleased to see that the price tags on the shelves were in line with what I'm used to seeing elsewhere - no real "NYC City" mark-up.  -My favorite "feature" had to be the "Enrobed Chocolate" bar that had various pieces of fruit (dried and fresh), snack items (cookies, pretzels), dipped in milk and dark chocolate, sold by the pound.  -Alas, all I ended up buying were a couple of packets of Emergen-C in various flavors - I was starting to feel a little sniffly, so...

The dress rehearsal of Cinderella was... well, a dress rehearsal.  It also turned out to be a sort of mini-reunion of the Houston cast of A Chorus Line.  It was Steve's first time in the State Theatre, and he enjoyed it.  Some of the casting was good, some of it was OK, some of it was questionable, and some of it was just plain bad.  We shall see what happens when the reviews come out on Monday.  I had a good time, and I always give the benefit of the doubt when attending dress rehearsals... And since I was also privy to some of the trials and travails with this production...

'nuff said for now...

After leaving the State Theatre, Steve and I headed across the plaza of Lincoln Center to the Met to check out the gift shops.  I believe both of us started making mental lists of things to give and things we would like to get. ;)

Then it was nice walk over to Central Park, down 5th Ave. (lots of window shopping), through Rockefeller Center, then back over to Times Square to see what was on TKTS.  Well...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2004, 06:30:05 PM »

I haven't "done" TKTS in a while.  Instead, what I've had some good fortune with is just browsing what is up at TKTS, and then heading over to the theatre box office directly with discount vouchers in hand, and purchasing the tickets there.  And that's what I did this week.

Before heading up to NYC, I printed out the discount vouchers for the various shows we were interested in seeing.  Well, on Wednesday afternoon, I noticed Dame Edna: Back With A Vengeance was listed.  Hmmm...  And I had a discount voucher for it too!  So, I headed over to the Music Box, asked what they had available for that night, and, lo and behold, they had two, eighth row, center seats (on the aisle too!).  From the paper-shuffling the box office guy was doing, I'm guessing they were house seats that were just turned in or were just being released for public sale.  Yippee!

*And the thing I do like about this method (as much as I also like supporting the TDF), is that I can use a credit card (instead of the cash/traveler's checks-only policy at TKTS).  Thus, I can earn more miles/points/bonuses.  Win-Win-Win!  And sometimes the discount vouchers can end up being the same price of even cheaper than the price at TKTS.

The show... Well, Dame Edna (Barry Humphries) was a true laugh riot!  This was the first time that Steve and I had seen her live - we both had watched some of the shows that are on DVD, however - but, "live" truly is an experience.  I had no idea just how improvised and "customised" the show would be.  Since Steve took the aisle seat, he started getting a little nervous that he would get picked to be one of her "victims", but he was safe.  Others weren't so lucky! ;)

A little song, a little dance, a little selzter down your pants.  The "experience" is just too hard to describe.  However, her pianist, Wayne Barker, was very good - I wish he was given more time and selections to play - although he did provide a very nice entr'acte.  -He also needs a new 8x10 - the Playbill photo does him a disservice.  And her Gorgeous Ednaettes and Equally Gorgeous TestEdnarones (woof!) provided some wonderful support and high kicks at various points during the evening.

Both of us walked out with sore jaws and cheekbones from all the smiling and laughing we did.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2004, 06:33:41 PM »

I had to look up Marin Mazzie and was surprised to find I do know who she is, not from her musical talents but from the sitcom STILL STANDING.  That reminded me I had wanted to know more about the cast from the show.  I discovered Bill Murray’s brother, Joel, has a recurring role and the male star played Dave in FULL MONTY.  I knew he looked familiar.  I really like his voice even without the English accent.  Sally Struthers will be on the next episode in her recurring role.  It is fun to see her working again.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2004, 06:41:14 PM »

But before we headed to the Music Box Theatre, we headed over to Barrymore's for dinner with DRs Ben and elmoore3003.

I've met DR Ben a few times before, but this was my first time meet DR elmoore in person.  It was very nice finally getting to meet Larry Moore - someone who I've very good things about from various people, and someone who's orchestrations and arrangements I've listened to for many years (whether I've known they were by him or not).  -What?!?!?  In any case...

It was a small, but nice H/K gathering.  Steve was "quiet" but he usually is, and he enjoyed listening in on all the dish and dirt and information that was being bandied about.  And, Larry, I must say, you are a veritable fount of information - here on this site and in person.  Your knowledge base is astounding and admirable.

DR Ben - Yes, that was Georger Hearn at the other table.  -Of course, later, I realized my own faux pas when I was wondering why he was there and not over at the Marquis getting ready for his preview...  DUH!

And my burger was very good too!  -And Steve enjoyed his pasta as well.

So... After Dame Edna we walked around Times Square for a bit.  Steve loves taking pictures, and he especially likes taking pictures of architecture, so Times Square and New York City is a proverbial candy store for him.  He should be sending me copies of this batch of NYC pics sometime in the next few days, and I'll do my best to post some of them here.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2004, 06:44:44 PM »

THE ADVENTURES OF FRANCES THE TALKING MULE. :D

Did Donald's friend have a sex change?

The original mule was Francis, the post-op mule would be Frances - it's a gender thing you see.

Ah, how to remember which is the male, which is the female - one with letter "e" one with letter "i" - easy - just think of the appropriate sex organ and you'll get the spelling correct.

der Brucer (always glad to share his worldly wisdom)

PS Woody said that with a mule he doesn't think it matters much - SO CRUEL!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up