Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I'D LIKE TO DO AN IMPRESSION OF MY TOOTH  (Read 18013 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:I'D LIKE TO DO AN IMPRESSION OF MY TOOTH
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2004, 09:41:42 AM »

And one for Mahler.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2004, 10:35:25 AM »

On the final page of my "Oliver" vocal score, it says "end of opera".... can anyone tell me why anyone would consider "Oliver" an opera??

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2004, 10:41:28 AM »

Good morning all!

If I was still allowed to post from work this would be one of those posts, but since I am not, it isn't.

Jason -- Happy Early Birthday!  It is so nice to see you posting again.

BK, you must refrain from nose impressions, because if your impression did smell, then I would have to picket.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2004, 10:49:11 AM »

TCB, I know I am not allowed to groan on HHW...but I must! LOL!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2004, 10:51:09 AM »

On the final page of my "Oliver" vocal score, it says "end of opera".... can anyone tell me why anyone would consider "Oliver" an opera??

I doubt that it is still true, but it used to be that in England, any dramatic musical (as opposed to comedic) was referred to as an opera.  Certainly the last few scenes of OLIVER would qualify it as drama, rather than comedy.  Don't aske me to quote my source, I am just channeling my old British Theater professor, who was not, BTW, Jed's grandfather.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2004, 10:57:15 AM »

Woohoo! Two more Italian sword and sandal movies are begin released on a double feature disc by Image in February...HERCULES THE AVENGER starring Reg Park, and HERCULES VS. THE BLACK PIRATE starring Alan Steel a.k.a. Sergio Ciani! I have not seen either film before so I am awaiting this release with much excitment!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2004, 11:55:39 AM »

So, how do these symptoms apply to Sweeney Todd?

Its composer-lyricists states it's not an opera.

The orchestration is by Jonathan Tunick.

The words are equally (if not more) important as the tunes.

It does not require operatic voices - Angela Lansbury and Len Cariou are nobody's idea of opera singers.

It played 8 shows a week at the Uris Theatre (not an opera house), opening after a period of previews.

It requires excellent acting.

Now, I for one, LOVE it when I see an opera where the acting is excellent, and this is obviously an objective term.  But there are plenty of opera fans who are perfectly happy to see an opera beautifully sung but insufficiently acted.  That's because opera fans love the sound of a beautiful voice.  Musical fans love a well-acted performance, which is why such un-lovely-voiced people as Carol Channing, Jackie Gleason, Zero Mostel and Shirley Booth could be such great stars of the Broadway musical stage.

Well, DRNoel, I think you're flogging a dead horse trying to prove a difference:

Before SWEENEY TODD  opened, Steve Sondheim told "Opera News" he was working on a ballad opera, and the closest piece I can think of to SWEENEY TODD is Britten's edition of THE BEGGAR'S OPERA.

I've named and can name more operas whose composers had assistance on orchestrations.

Len Carious sang in American premier of THE RISE AND FALL OF THE CITY OF MAHAGONNY at the Stratford, Ontario, Shakespeare Festival; according to Mr Weill it's an opera.

And when PORGY AND BESS played Broadway in 1935, the 40s, and the Houston Grand Opera revival of the 1970s, was it a musical or the folk opera Gershwin wrote?  Although there's that song & dance man Sportin' Life; does he make it a musical?

Some pieces to hit Broadway are clearly musicals, and I'd rather see an opera production that's both well-sung and well-acted, as much as I'd rather see a well-staged and well-acted musical than some of the unsophisticated, not-so-well-acted musicals I've seen recently.  I'd also perfer to see any form of musical theatre where the performers respected the musical line and did their acting within its confines rather than try to snarl and act the text over the musicality.  I guess that wasn't the end of the soapbox earlier!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2004, 12:01:18 PM »

Hot diggity!  I feel so good, I could dance the old Yahoo Step!

My copy of Writer's Block arrived yesterday, it did.  I only read the first chapter this morning between wake-up (4:45) and depart for work (6:27).  Didn't bring it to work because, you know, I really should do some work here occasionally, and I knew that would be impossible with an unread Bruce Kimmel work nearby.

I also obtained a CD of the original demo to a sixties show called, Bus and Truck.  Aren't you all envious?  Does anyone know if an OBC recording was ever made of this show?  I know it was supposed to be recorded by Goddard Lieberson.

Anyway, the demo has some surprising performers on it.  Among them is our very own Guy Haines, sounding exactly like he does today, thirty-five years later.  But most surprising is Tammy Minoff, who, I believe, was not even born at the time the recording was made.  Precocious indeed!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

td

• td
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2004, 12:10:46 PM »

BK, don't know that this has been answered here, but you did pose the question once.  
Mariclare Costello is the actress playing Emma Goldman in the deleted scene from RAGTIME.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2004, 12:11:03 PM »

And...oh! an A Chorus Line reference!

I've listened to the demo four times today, and I really recommend it.  I think it's a bookleg.  Shhhhhh!

To a matter of pedantry--and I hope I can out-pedant derBrucer any day of the week:  People, it's neither film noirs nor films noir.  It's films noirs.  So named after the French actress Bette Noire.

Does Chicago count?  If so, I would pick "My Own Best Friend", except, of course, that they didn't use it in the film.  And they hardly used it in the show.  I love the song, but I do not like what Fosse did, turning it into a parody.  In Colored Lights, Kander & Ebb explain that Fosse really disliked the song, comparing it to "My Way" and "I Gotta Be Me".  But when Liza stepped in to do the show, she bullied him to let her sing it straight.  She got thunderous applause, and she said, on stage, "You hear that, Bobby?"  But it didn't sway him.
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2004, 12:12:43 PM »

What started out as a beautifully sunny fall day has degenerated into an overcast, soggy Thursday. Bah!  :(
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2004, 12:15:00 PM »

Well, I participate in the first excerpts from our production of NUNCRACKERS in about three hours. I hope all goes well. Then, later tonight, we will do the show for the first time all the way through both acts.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2004, 12:21:30 PM »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2004, 12:21:35 PM »

To a matter of pedantry--and I hope I can out-pedant derBrucer any day of the week:  People, it's neither film noirs nor films noir.  It's films noirs.  So named after the French actress Bette Noire.

DRWilliamFOrr, LOL! ;D ;D ;D

I wonder if Bette were related to Rosetta Le?

I really screwed this up a minuite ago!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2004, 12:23:25 PM »

DR Elmore3003, here a another upcoming release from Image that you may be very interested in!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006L0LMA/dvdverdict/002-5315235-9312004?dev-t=D2JUTWY2CB9NCH%26camp=2025%26link_code=xm2#product-details

DRMichaelBarnum, I love THE CAT AND THE CANARY!  I still wish the Bob Hope-Paulette Goddard version would be released in the States; it's available in England.  Thank you, but I already have the silent version, and I think you do, too!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2004, 12:29:05 PM »

And in other news:  People Magazine has just appointed Jude Law "Sexiest Man Alive", once again passing over the legitimate title holder, our very own Brent Barrett.  Well, at least Jude is sexy, as opposed to, say, BenAf.
--Wayland Flowers

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2004, 12:39:20 PM »

And in other news:  People Magazine has just appointed Jude Law "Sexiest Man Alive", once again passing over the legitimate title holder, our very own Brent Barrett.  Well, at least Jude is sexy, as opposed to, say, BenAf.

Now, now, I would take Ben Affleck any day of the week!

Kerry

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2004, 12:43:29 PM »

MusicGuy just had to go through the same thing with a crown.  His impression was more like Peter Lorre.  
Luckily, it's been a few years since I've had to go through that.  With luck, maybe I can skip it again entirely.

I left the law firm last week after 6 months.  This also means I have no more paychecks coming in-- not a good thing.  Does anyone here happen to know what I want to be when I grow up?
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2004, 12:53:58 PM »

I'm on my way to see Kevin Spirtas.  I shall return so keep the home fries burning you dear, dear people in the dark.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2004, 12:59:58 PM »

Elmore I only “speed watched” during the slow moments.  ;D I made it through two hours of viewing in about an hour and a half.  Only one more hour to go.  

Matt H, I TIVO’d HOUSE last night.  Unfortunately I missed the first episode.  You must tell me about the new shows before they come on. :)
We haven’t watched the last episode of LOST yet, maybe tonight.

Keith just walked in and said I received something special in the mail today.  :D

SWW I have trouble focusing and it bothered my eyes.  I don’t have to read a photograph.  It was years before computers improved enough for me to use one.

Michael Shayne, welcome back.  Did you have fun?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2004, 01:11:34 PM »

Elmore I only “speed watched” during the slow moments.  ;D I made it through two hours of viewing in about an hour and a half.  Only one more hour to go.  

DRJane, LOL! :-* :-* :-* :-*

If the episode of HOUSE you taped is about the kindergarten teacher, you just TIVO'd the first one.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2004, 01:12:02 PM »

Now, now, I would take Ben Affleck any day of the week!

Never on Sunday!
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2004, 01:13:25 PM »

But since I missed Ask Bruce Day, I will leave the following question up for general discussion.  (Thanks to my Joe.)

How is a mouse when it spins?
--Wayland Flowers

Jane

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2004, 01:18:39 PM »

Jason, have fun tomorrow anyway.  Will you celebrate over the weekend then?  You must find something you enjoy doing, and do it.  Even if it on Saturday or Sunday.  Get yourself a special treat during your dinner break.

I can’t add to the songs already named.  What bothers me is a few named I should know and don’t.  Wish I could listen to them right now.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2004, 01:31:25 PM »

Hmmm...  It's already 4:30pm here on the East Coast, and we're still on Page 2?!?!?!?

I sense you-know-who may have to resort to doing some you-know-what after he gets back from you-know-where.

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2004, 01:32:44 PM »

I just opened my mail. :D

Bruce, Keith and I think the cover and the layout of the book are very nice.  An especially nice compliment from the professional in the family who is impressed with the books physical attributes.

Sometimes just having a book in my possession, knowing it is waiting for me to read brings me great pleasure. I will leave the book out and look at it occasionally until I have the time to give it the attention it deserves.  This is the case with WRITERS BLOCK.  It is not due to lack of interest I will wait to read it, but I have too many distractions at the moment and want to read the book straight through without interruption.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2004, 01:33:56 PM »

elmore I TIVO'd the next episode.  

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2004, 01:37:36 PM »

And speaking of the impression of BK's tooth.

Jean-Auguste Renoir was an impressionist--but he did a lousy Cagney.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 01:38:52 PM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2004, 01:38:03 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well... I think I've officially hit the rock-bottom-ness of my post-show lazy cycle for this time round.  I got up around 9:00, checked my e-mail, watched some TV... Then I kind of zonked out on the couch between 11:30 and 3:00... And, of course, it turned out to be a beautifully sunny day here in Richmond.  Even in the mid-60s!  -And I forgot just how cool this apartment stays year-round.  It's nice in the summer, but it's definitely cooler outside right now than it is inside.  Someone better open up a window!  -Or at least a screen door. ;)

So...

I don't think I'm gonna go to see Tony Curtis tonight, but...  I may just walk by the Byrd and see what the crowd looks like and go from there.  We shall see.  However, I did decide that I'll just go up to Fairfax tomorrow and spend the weekend with my parents and family.  So at least I did something "decisive" today.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2004, 01:38:59 PM »

Neither of these are really film noir,  but they are from mysteries... I'm fond of "Smoke Rings" from one of the Thin Man films.  And "By the Sea Side" as performed by Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up