Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I YAM WHAT I YAM  (Read 19445 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:I YAM WHAT I YAM
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2004, 01:25:40 PM »

Caption:  "What?!?!?!  What do you mean there's no bustle in this dress?!?!?!?"

???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2004, 01:32:16 PM »

And finally (for now)...

Caption:  "Oh, Madge, don't worry about.  She's been a total dear.  Such a nice pussy cat.  She just spends her days sitting here on the couch.... (!?@&?#?!!) Oh.. Oh.. That was nothing... Madge, can I call you right back?..."

-Or something like that... I need to go for a walk.  Need to get the blood circulating.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2004, 01:39:51 PM »

What a busy Monday this has been, and it ain't over yet. I still have rehearsal to get to in a couple of hours. Yikes!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2004, 01:40:50 PM »

No Thanksgiving food stories from me. I've had wonderful, terrific dinners on Thanksgiving, but I can't think of a single one that has stood out from the rest, even the ones I've prepared. They all just sort of blend together in my head.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2004, 02:10:22 PM »

Another reason to eat chocolate. :D
http://www.nbc17.com/health/3940070/detail.html

Too bad chocolate won’t help my thumb which is still bleeding from my carelessness this morning.   ;D

Jane

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2004, 02:18:32 PM »

Yesterday I read an article regarding the number of people who want to move to Canada since the election.  Many want to move for the health care system.  Last night we watched THE BARBARIAN INVASION.  If the health care system in Canada is truly represented in this movie these people are in for a shock.  

I hope our Canadian DR’s have seen this movie and can comment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2004, 02:20:28 PM »

My goodness, what a slow Monday this is here at haineshisway.com.  I had some pizza slices for lunch.  Not what I felt like but it was convenient.

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2004, 02:31:31 PM »

If you did not feel like pizza, what did you feel like?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2004, 02:40:12 PM »

A pear.

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2004, 02:41:11 PM »

I received a dozen (or so) Bollywood movies in the mail last week (I have been shopping again!) and I must be more careful as I bought one DVD that I already had.

Before I realized my mistake I popped the movie into the player yesterday to watch as it looked like a good Sunday afternoon spook movie, and as it was starting I had a strange case of deja vu. Oh, well. ...

DRJRand54 I may send it to you for your viewing enjoyment if you would like...it is from the early 60s...creepy black and white Bollywood remake of REBECCA.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 02:41:55 PM by MBarnum »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2004, 02:46:06 PM »

Today for lunch I had a sub sandwich from Blimpie's that I got yesterday (two for the price of one every Sunday!).  It's their Ultimate Club.  And since I didn't have any pickles, tomatoes, mayo or mustard put on it, the bread was not soggy!  I did reheat the bacon for about 10 seconds and it was fine.  That was my lunch today.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2004, 03:13:16 PM »

Which reminds me that Sara Shane (now residing in Australia) has not yet responed to my first two e-mail interview questions. I hope she received them...she said that she would respond...maybe I should e-mail her back.

My grandmother's name was Sarah Shayne. Close.
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2004, 03:23:13 PM »

DR Jane:  If you have a bottle of saline solution (the kind you get for soft lenses), you might try squirting some solution directly into the needle hole that is bleeding.  Use up the bottle...or at least 8 oz.  If it stings, so much the better.  You may have introduced some bacteria from that needle unless you sterilized it first.  If even the REMOTEST amount of swelling ensues, get to a doctor pronto.

I once waited 24 hours after getting a cat bite before seeking treatment...spent three days in a hospital bed on IV, only to be operated on because the IV fluids could not reach the infection.

Don't let it get away from you!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 04:07:33 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2004, 03:42:19 PM »

So what's thanksgiving?

A celebration of the triumph of immigrant Anglo-Saxons over indigenous northeastern persons.

der Brucer

TOD

As a treat for one thanksgiving my mother prepared. especially for me, a roast duck. As the duck was roasting my cousin was plying me with glasses of Muscatel (the gourmet vaiety that comes in gallon jugs). Dinner was served, the duck was presented, and made a nice pillow as I fell face down in my plate. End of memory!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

td

• td
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2004, 03:45:23 PM »

I am currently listening to:

Martha had pipes!

Speaking of pipes, I came home from work to find a Netflix delivery of SHIRLEY BASSEY live in Atlantic City!  She's got the pipes, too.  And that tangerine deeply cut dress shows us just what Ms. Bassey is made of!   ;D  What a fun concert!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2004, 03:45:40 PM »

My cousin who'd been a naval officer resurrected a recipe he knew from his days on the Theodore Roosevelt.  It was, I think, cream chipped beef, but I was most alarmed that his preparation involved several packages of Stouffer's frozen chipped beef.  

Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast, fondly remembered by Naval Gormands as "Shit on a Shingle".

der Brucer (who hates very intensly dislikes the stuff!)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2004, 03:52:48 PM »

Oh, have you ever slammed a needle into your finger before giving a cat fluids?  That is what I did this morning.  

Oh-oh!

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2004, 03:58:39 PM »

Memo for our Voracious Aficionado:

(Extract from the LA Times):

A coda for Samuel Barber
The American composer, whose romantic, lyrical work fell out of favor during the country's embrace of 12-tone and avant-garde music, is being rediscovered by performers and audiences.
By Scott Timberg
Times Staff Writer

Nov 21 2004

On Saturday, Los Angeles Opera will give the first of seven performances of "Vanessa," Barber's 1958 portrait of a pathological woman — to be sung, in her company debut, by soprano Kiri Te Kanawa — who has brooded for years inside a Northern European country house. It will mark the first time the company has performed Barber's work.

And L.A. Opera is far from alone. According to the American Symphony Orchestra League, Barber will be performed 106 times by the nation's 100 largest orchestras this season; there will be more than a dozen performances of his Violin Concerto alone. Over the last three seasons, he's been performed almost as much.

Those numbers place him second only to Aaron Copland among American composers, which surprises league spokesman Jack McAuliffe. "I don't know if I would have mentioned him," McAuliffe says. "He doesn't have the charisma or visibility of a Copland or Bernstein or Gershwin. He's kind of a sleeper."

I hope we shall be treated to a full report!

der Brucer

Jane

« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2004, 04:01:46 PM »

DR Jane:  If you have a bottle of saline solution (the kind you get for soft lenses), you might try squirting some solution directly into the needle hole that is bleeding.  You may have introduced some bacteria from that needle unless you sterilized it first.  If even the REMOTEST amount of swelling ensues, get to a doctor pronto.

I once went 24 hours after getting a cat bite...spent three days in a hospital bed on IV, only to be operated on because the IV fluids could not reach the infection.

Don't let it get away from you!

Thank you.  I did this while testing the fluid flow  :-[ ;D.  It is Bogie who should be concerned about an infection from me since I didn’t change the needle.  In the beginning I pricked myself a few time, nothing like this aggressive stab, and one of the gals at the vet’s said she has done that a number of times and not to worry.  Nothing happened.

I did spend a week in the hospital after a dog bite to my right hand.  It has never been the same since.  I’m sorry you needed an operation.  On my birthday the doctor told me I wouldn’t need an operation and I wouldn’t loose my hand.  That was the best birthday present I ever received.  I hope your hand didn’t hurt as much as mine did.

Hmm, I think I should remember that tip about saline solution.  I really am a klutz.  ::)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2004, 04:11:57 PM »

We have tried the turkey substitutes but they taste like cardboard.

You mean they tastle as bad as they look?

TOFURKEY
der Brucer (who shall hazard a guess that Jane is not a big Turducken fan)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2004, 04:21:11 PM »

The Daily Levity

From an Internet Friend who Cares!

Subject: DR. PHIL'S INNER PEACE

I am passing this on to you because it definitely worked for me and we all could use more calm in our lives. By following the simple advice I heard on  a Dr. Phil show, I have finally found inner peace.  

Dr. Phil proclaimed: "The way to achieve inner peace is to finish all the things you've started."

So I looked around my house to see all the things I started and hadn't finished, so, before leaving the house this morning, I finished off a  bottle of Merlot, a bottle of White Zinfandel, a bottle of Bailey's, a bottle of Kahlua,  a package of Oreos, the remainder of both Prozac and Valium prescriptions, the rest of the cheesecake, some saltines and a box of chocolates.

You have no idea how freaking good I feel.

Please pass this on to those you feel are in need of inner peace.

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2004, 04:21:31 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from my walk, and during my walk in the rain...

DR MBarnum - Here is the Bollywood movie that will be screened here in Richmond at the Byrd Theatre next weekend.  It's called Veer-Zaara, directed by Yash Chopra.

It's apparently some new epic film.  And in a twist, the music was composed many years ago, but the composer has since died.  The director discovered some unused music by this composer and was able to score his film with it.  So...

Here's the website for the movie and production company.  *And I also noticed that they sell Bollywood movies and soundtracks too. ;)

Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2004, 04:26:43 PM »

I have done my errands, picked up what needed picking up, and now I am home for the rest of the evening and perhaps will watch one of these new-fangled DVDs I've got.  Right now I'm watching Blind Beast, a wacky Japanese film from 1969, but that's very short.  After that, I could watch this new-fangled DVD of Mr. Ingmar Bergman's Fanny and Alexander.  But, which version to watch?  The 350 minute TV version or the 188 minute theatrical version.  The thought of watching a six-hour version is a bit too much.  Or, I could tear into this new-fangled DVD set which I was sent entitled The Ultimate Matrix.  It includes 10 DVDs - all three films and about 100 hours of supplements.  I've never seen the second two movies, so I suppose I could just start with them - or not.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2004, 04:29:14 PM »

You mean they tastle as bad as they look?

Worse! ;D

Tomovoz

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2004, 04:29:33 PM »

Just received my copy of
"Ragtime" from Amazon. Looking forward to seeing it again. Must check and see if "Daniel" is available too - IMHO a better book and a good movie.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2004, 04:29:37 PM »

Thanks for the info on the movie Jose. I have not heard any reviews of that one yet, but I have heard the soundtrack on Raaga.com internet radio...I wasn't too impressed with the soundtrack...but the film might be  good.

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2004, 04:31:14 PM »

I have done my errands, picked up what needed picking up, and now I am home for the rest of the evening and perhaps will watch one of these new-fangled DVDs I've got.  Right now I'm watching Blind Beast, a wacky Japanese film from 1969, but that's very short.  After that, I could watch this new-fangled DVD of Mr. Ingmar Bergman's Fanny and Alexander.  But, which version to watch?  The 350 minute TV version or the 188 minute theatrical version.  The thought of watching a six-hour version is a bit too much.  Or, I could tear into this new-fangled DVD set which I was sent entitled The Ultimate Matrix.  It includes 10 DVDs - all three films and about 100 hours of supplements.  I've never seen the second two movies, so I suppose I could just start with them - or not.

Or you may want to watch BEES SAAL BAAD and see how ghostly spooky it is!

Jane

« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2004, 04:32:37 PM »

MBarnum we received a package from FedEx today while I was in the shower-received your message from Keith-Hi. :)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2004, 04:37:03 PM »

...we received a package from FedEx today while I was in the shower

Just hope Norman Bates doesn't get a job with FedEx 8)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2004, 04:41:42 PM »

Memo for our Voracious Aficionado:

(Extract from the LA Times):

I hope we shall be treated to a full report!

On Saturday, Los Angeles Opera will give the first of seven performances of "Vanessa," Barber's 1958 portrait of a pathological woman — to be sung, in her company debut, by soprano Kiri Te Kanawa — who has brooded for years inside a Northern European country house. It will mark the first time the company has performed Barber's work.

der Brucer

I believe this is the same production that was produced at the Washington Opera - now the Washington National Opera - during the 2002-2003 season.  -Which, in turn, was imported from some European opera house...

-now checking Los Angeles Opera's website-

Well, it looks like it's a new production for LAO, but most of the principals from WNO are reprising their roles in LA.  Of note is Rosalind Elias as the Baroness who created the role of Erika in the original production of Vanessa in 1958.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up