Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I YAM WHAT I YAM  (Read 19447 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I YAM WHAT I YAM
« on: November 21, 2004, 11:59:27 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've stuffed yourselves silly with the notes, you've yammified the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the turkey cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 12:00:22 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:I YAM WHAT I YAM
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 12:11:02 AM »

Good Morning!

I can't remember the exact year it happened, but the most memorable Thanksgiving I've had was the one when I first cooked a good part of the meal: the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and baked yams (may have been sweet potatoes).  I wasn't planning on cooking the meal that year, but I just happened to get up early that day, and once I walked into the kitchen I just started banging the pots and pans.  -Hmm..not sure if that is the most appropriate turn of phrase, but I'll leave it for now.

I've always wanted to do one of the Gourmet Magazine Thanksgiving feasts, and, hopefully someday I will.  I have some friends in NYC who have a "Gourmet Thanksgiving" each year - although sometimes they don't have it on Thanksgiving.  They're sort of a dinner club, and each person cooks up one of the components of the meal.  And I think they do the same thing at Christmas.

... And Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 12:13:05 AM »

So what's thanksgiving?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 12:42:17 AM »

Thanksgiving is when we thank the Lord for the turkey on our plate, instead of the turkeys we have to deal with during the other 365.

Memorable Thanksgiving dinners can be absolutely wreched, not just grand.  Der B and I have found ourselves stuck more than once locating a restaurant that was serving dinner.  Our habit of eating late hasn't helped on these occasions, because even the restaurants that were serving anything at all were closing early.

The problem is more about how Thanksgiving is a family holiday, where everyone is expected to gather around the table with their sibs and the rest of the blood ties and have a magnificent meal.  That's fine and good, but when the family is hundreds of miles away, or when the blood ties are knottier than anyone can stand, then the holiday backfires.

Fortunately, back in Long Beach some of the gay bars regularly set up some kind of buffet.  There was one year when most everything had been put together at our local watering hole, the Crest.  They had turkey, sweet potatoes, mashed taters, stuffing, the regular works.  There was something missing, however.  Der B got this funny look on his face, signaled to me, and we trotted across the street, to where the supermarket was remarkably still open.  We loaded ourselves up with pre-made pies and took them to the buffet, adding that final touch that had somehow been forgotten.

Sometimes, when you can't have family with you, it's necessary to invent one.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 12:48:38 AM »

I didn't really expect anyone to answer that question.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 03:45:02 AM »

Mornin', Woody!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 03:54:59 AM »

Jose! You're up too!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 03:57:15 AM »

The MOMA was so great! I stood in line for over an hour, then went up to the fifth floor - yipes! a whole room of Cezanne! I all but burst into tears. Whatta ride! Picasso, Seurat, Klee, Miro, Kandinsky, Brach, EVERYONE! I'll be back. Found out that Friday nights are going to be free nights. I'll be back A LOT.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 03:58:00 AM »

Back later, I think I'll go have a nap...
PennyO

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 05:27:10 AM »

As far as what Pepsi Holiday Spice is and what it contains, DRs SWW and Jose pretty much covered that last night.  As far as how it actually tastes, I would say that it reminds me of Mountain Dew Red or of a slighty stronger tasting Dr. Pepper.  I could detect the spice flavorings, but Pepsi's citrisy taste overpowers them.  It's not bad--I'll probably try it again (though earlier in the day)--but it's not my idea of what spiced cola would taste like.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 06:12:16 AM »

Funny you should suggest I watch television outside of the elevator ride to Ripley-Greer, for last night I actually watched a whole television program.  It had an actor I usually like, Austin Pendleton, play a character based on Stephen Hawking.  Except everything about it was stupid.  You knew "who done it" and there was no suspense.  The detectives made speeches, self-righteously describing what the villain had done.  Not sure why this was supposed to be entertaining.

Many weeks ago, as an insert in a magazine, the pilot of House arrived in my home environment.  Now, I've never been a fan of doctor shows, but the premise that Dr. House doesn't ever want to be in the same room with a patient seemed to indicate a willingness to buck cliché.  Imagine my disgust when the show concluded with the ultimate cliché, a bunch of smiling kindergartners hugging their teacher in a hospital room.

Reminder: I'm a notoriously slow reader.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 06:13:42 AM »

And I thank the DRs for the beverage responses.  I had no idea there were free radicals roaming around my body.  Abbie Hoffman?  Jerry Rubin?  Stokely Carmichael?  It's kind of sickening, actually.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 06:26:35 AM »

Used to be, my father would host many a relative when he had a large house, with cots turning all sorts of rooms into bedrooms.  I think the food at Thanksgiving was basically the same, but nobody left the following day, so there's been the big question of what second big meal could be served Friday night.  One year, it was decided that everybody should cook something having to do with their ethnic origin.  Do you see a problem with this?  The idea would work for a set of friends, but we're relatives - not a great wide variety of ethnic origins there.  I think I baked an apple pie, using Rome apples from my home state.  My father, who never cooks, managed to make matzoh-bri, which has to be the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in a pan.  Joy made an Italian salad.  (Ah, Italy, the land of salads!)  My cousin who'd been a naval officer resurrected a recipe he knew from his days on the Theodore Roosevelt.  It was, I think, cream chipped beef, but I was most alarmed that his preparation involved several packages of Stouffer's frozen chipped beef.  How that's considered "cooking" I'll never know.  An uncle (by marriage) claimed that his family had once lived in Sweeden and made some Swedish meatballs.  Luckily, another cousin's wife was part Japanese, so there were some excellent dumplings to chew on.  Memorable...is all I can say about that meal.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 06:46:21 AM »

My favorite Thanksgiving meal is just what we have every year.  My family gathers at the house of my sister (the one who is not a former chef), who cooks and cooks and cooks some more.  My sister puts tons of food on the table--corn, peas and carrots, brussel sprouts, broccoli, candied apples and yams, a couple of different mashed potatoes (plain, cheese and garlic), cranberry sauce, that green bean casserole with the crunchy topping, spanakopita (I have no idea how this came into tradition), a mushroom casserole, corn biscuits, crescent rolls, huge bowls of stuffing, wonderful home-made gravy and one big mama turkey.  This is supplimented with bottles of beaujolais nouveau, white zinfandel and sparkling cider, along with chocolate milk and iced tea for the kids.  

After we manage to get everyone and all the food at the table, we say grace, clink all our glasses together in toast and then dive in.  For the first serving, everyone grabs some turkey and stuffing and whatever side dish is nearby or is their favorite.  For the second go-round, we go for more turkey and stuffing and whatever sides we missed the first time.  Afterwards, the men folk waddle to the living room to watch the games while the wimmin clear the table (sorry--that's just the way it works out in my family.  I offer to help every year but I'm always told to get out of the way.)  Eventually, dessert is served.  We never do anything elaborate--pumpkin and coconut custard pies, maybe a cheese cake, with ice cream and/or whipped cream, served with coffee.  

And now I am hungry.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 06:49:38 AM »

And I thank the DRs for the beverage responses.  I had no idea there were free radicals roaming around my body.  Abbie Hoffman?  Jerry Rubin?  Stokely Carmichael?  It's kind of sickening, actually.

And what's worse is that the Abbie Hoffman free radical is wearing a shirt made from the American flag!  
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2004, 06:55:30 AM »

Nice review on Amazon, DRelmore.  And I like the subtitle you've given WRITER'S BLOCK.....

Thanksgiving dinners are pretty much the same, but one I remember very clearly in from 1957 (before many DR's were born)....my cousin Eugene was home from the Navy on leave.  He was on an aircraft carrier, and he wore his uniform.  And he had just bought a brand new 1958 Chevrolet!

He took a lot of us for rides around the block in the car.  He was scheduled to go back in mid January.

On New Year's Day - he was in a car accident and killed.....my first brush with mortality.  And some strange new feelings about the wonderful holiday we had just had - and that something like that could happen.  Made me appreciate getting together with family and friends - and I always try to talk to everybody because you just never know....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2004, 07:07:07 AM »

The Dirk Bogarde version of A TALE OF TWO CITIES is on TCM today at 1:30 est.  

MBarnum

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2004, 08:02:57 AM »

Argh! I was looking for a hard to find video tape of the film HARD DRIVIN (a.k.a. THUNDER IN CAROLINE) starring Race Gentry and Connie Hines, on Ebay. Well, I spot one...a former rental in good condition at a starting bid of $9.98 + 4.99 postage. So in my excitement I make a bid. Well, then I scroll down a little further and find the same doggone movie for $2.00 Buy-it-Now and only $1.99 postage! Argh!

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2004, 08:04:18 AM »

JRand54, that is very sad about your cousin Eugene...and I imagine that would certainly make an impression on a child.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2004, 08:35:13 AM »

Good morning.  The sky is blue, not a cloud in sight.  

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004, 09:12:49 AM »

Good morning.  The sky is blue, not a cloud in sight.  

You say that as if it's a good thing.  Here we are, gearing up/getting in the mood for Thanksgiving and you speak of cloudless blue skies like it's Memorial Day or something.

The spectacular tree outside my window is utterly bare, but, surrounding it, on one of the islands of Broadway, are trees so yellow they camouflage the cabs.  It's an exciting to see a new store about to open up across the street, Garden of Eden, the gourmet grocery.

I'm staring at lyrics, but my eyes hardly focus and my mind's feeling strangely numb.  One member of the Generation F'd cast has sent me 13 stanzas.  It's too much to pick from.  Then, on Such Good Friends, I finally started on the 11 o'clock number, which means I've gotten a start on all the planned songs.  I recognize that the fuel for the procrastination is that I'm close to finishing a draft, and once I finish the draft, that means I'll have to show it to people, which means that the arduous task of taking in all their reactions and rewriting absolutely everything will soon begin.

Or, not so soon, if I can delay the finish a little more.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2004, 09:32:32 AM »

I see it's going to be one of THOSE Mondays.  The sky is blue, not a post in site.

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2004, 09:46:46 AM »

Yes, not many posts to read today...and it is very boring at work...as for today's topic...many, many wonderful thanksgivings...these days I go to my nephew John's wife's family's home in Corvallis for Thanksgiving...they are such nice people and I absolutely adore the grandparents!!! And oh the food...just wonderful. This will be my first Thanksgiving with diabetes so I won't get to enjoy the food as much as I have in the past...so I will just settle for enjoying the wonderful company!

But...in days past...I love the turkey and gravy, and mashed potatoes, and cranberrie sauce, and veggies, and especially the pies.

My sweet niece Katie is going to try to make a sugarless pumpkin pie so that I can enjoy dessert! She is such a great niece!!! Well...there I am very thankful.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 09:48:07 AM by MBarnum »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2004, 10:22:11 AM »

My favorite Thanksgiving was any of the many that my mom cooked over the years. She was  truly a talented cook.

It is raining today, which is always a nice thing in the desert.

I could tell you all about my day so far, but I think you'd fall asleep.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 10:22:56 AM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2004, 10:27:37 AM »

MBARNUM at least the one you bid on is an official "rental" release.  Is your $2 one a dupe?  Just say it is.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2004, 10:27:48 AM »

MR BK check your email.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2004, 10:35:25 AM »

Argh! I was looking for a hard to find video tape of the film HARD DRIVIN (a.k.a. THUNDER IN CAROLINE) starring Race Gentry and Connie Hines, on Ebay. Well, I spot one...a former rental in good condition at a starting bid of $9.98 + 4.99 postage. So in my excitement I make a bid. Well, then I scroll down a little further and find the same doggone movie for $2.00 Buy-it-Now and only $1.99 postage! Argh!

I HATE (yes, HATE) it when that happens!!

As for memorable Thanksgiving Days, as I wrote yesterday, I don't like turkey.  Thinly sliced on a sub sandwich, yes.  But carved off of the dead bird right in front of me, no.  I don't know why, I just don't.  I'm weird that way. ::) So, Thanksgiving is not really a day that I look forward to.

Of course, there have been some wonderful desserts on Thanksgiving Days of yore.  Okay, that's one good thing about it.  And the Macy's Parade.  I like watching the clips from the shows and the not-always-synched-up lipsynching.  Now CBS shows the parade and has musical excerpts!  
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 10:36:09 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2004, 10:40:06 AM »

Well, I just don't know about these Mondays.  People just disappear into the woodwork.  Come out of the woodwork I say.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2004, 10:41:32 AM »

Here is a photograph of my meeting with our Japanese lurker, Hisaka.  In this photograph, Hisaka and her friend and I are being photographed by our waiter.  I'm the one in the baseball cap, and Hisaka is to my left.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2004, 10:42:37 AM »

Here is a photgraph of Hisaka and myself.  I'm the one in the baseball cap.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up