Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RARIN' TO GET CRACKIN'  (Read 21397 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:RARIN' TO GET CRACKIN'
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2004, 09:29:01 AM »

I did record A CHRISTMAS CAROL last night, but I haven't watched it, and with our opening this week, I don't know when I'll find the time to watch a two hour show (can zip through the commercials thankfully but it'll still be close to 90 minutes of show).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2004, 09:30:00 AM »

A lot of my Deep Discount sale items arrived today and combined with Saturday's haul, I think I'm only missing one or two that had to be backordered.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2004, 09:31:41 AM »

Oh, yes, thanks for mentioning "A Christmas Memory" by Truman Capote. I used to teach this story to my honors students, and then we'd watch the video of it featuring one of Geraldine Page's Emmy winning performances. Both are highly recommended.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2004, 09:35:43 AM »

Plays:  Hmmmmmmm.....not many to choose from....I will add The Nutcracker and Mark Morris' 1950's take on it The Nut.

Television & story:  A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote.  Two kites floating in the sky, like hearts.....

Thanks for reminding me of The Hard Nut and A Christmas Memory, JRand.  I enjoy both of these immensely every year.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2004, 10:08:32 AM »

Probably my all-time favorite Christmas film - Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, which was really directed by Henry Selick.  Burton has a "thing" for Christmas, as it also plays into Edward Scissorhands and Batman Returns for their settings (but not thematically).

I totally forgot about this!  I'll have to watch it!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2004, 10:27:52 AM »

Back from being E&T.

I believe it was DR DtM who mentioned one of my favorite Christmas themed movies, A HOUSE WITHOUT A CHRISTMAS TREE.  (I was also a fan of the similarly themed Thanksgiving movie with the same cast.)

THE GATHERING also probably ranks as one of my favorite Christmas movies.  They used to play it incessantly on WWOR-TV, or maybe WPIX.  But of course, now that I have a VCR to tape it, it never seems to be telecast.

Amongst the non-TV film category, certainly WONDERFUL LIFE and the original 34th STREET.  Since a good portion of it is linked to the holidays, I would also include SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE, and its vis-a-vis, AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER (she was musically directing a holiday concert, after all).

The Chanukah sequence in THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK (and even in YOURS, ANNE) is pretty powerful as well.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2004, 10:37:35 AM »

OK.. I'm off to reading-land.. and then, most likely, a walk.  It's another bright, blue clear day here in Richmond!  Gotta take advantage of it while I can!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2004, 10:43:25 AM »

I saw "White Christmas" in SF last night and I loved every minute of it.  I had never seen the film so I went in with an open mind.  I thought the music was great, they added some great Irving Berlin songs that I know were not in the film, the orchestrations were awesome as well as the vocal arrangements.  The opening of Act Two was a huge tap number to "I Love a Piano" which I think was originally in "Easter Parade" but I could be wrong.  At the curtain call, it snowed over the audience.  It was a great way to begin the season and I hope it comes back again or becomes a NY holiday tradition.  

I TIVO'd "A Christmas Carol" and I hope to watch it soon.  It has a lot of my favorite actors from London in it, Claire Moore, Linzi Hately, Ruthie Henshall, I just can't miss seeing them!!

I've played The Ghost of Christmas present in the "Finney" version of "A Christmas Carol" and that remains my favorite.

Other favorite Christmas movies:

Miracle on 34th St. (original)
Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas (a family tradition!)
The Muppet's Christmas Carol  
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 10:45:00 AM by Matthew »

Tomovoz

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2004, 11:13:56 AM »

I hope DR td that it is your "Shout" now! A David Campbell reference. He would know when and how to shout.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2004, 11:22:32 AM »

I forgot A CHRISTMAS STORY on my movie list (sorry DTM).

Another day is getting away from me. I woke up very tired and did something I rarely do... After taking Abie out and feeding him, I went back to bed and slept until almost 9.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2004, 11:28:58 AM »

Back from Reading-Land!

Bravo, BK!

It was a great read, and I'm glad I got it read in one and a half sittings!  Helped to keep the suspense going.

-Now, I guess I should finish the last few chapters of "Kritzer Time"...  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2004, 11:30:34 AM »

A Christmas movie I always look forward to (well, it's traditionally shown at Christmas) is The Bishop's Wife - the original one, of course, with Cary Grant, Loretta Young and David Niven.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2004, 11:31:42 AM »

And in an interesting bit of timing, this was posted on Playbill.com today...

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/89815.html
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2004, 11:32:32 AM »

OK... Now I'm heading out for my walk...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2004, 11:38:54 AM »

DINNERS:
Renaissance Diner on 9th Ave - Alex and I both had the Black and Blue Burger
Joe Allen - well, thanks to DR Elmore3003, it's been posted.
Breakfast at Amy's Breads on 9th
Light Lunches at the Deli right beside the hotel
PIzza slices just around the corner from Don't Tell Mama

Where did you stay?

I applaud your restaurant choices.  Too many visitors to our fair city get stuck in the wide array of Theatre District eateries that locals call Tourist Traps.  The farther from the Broadway houses (say, 9th), the more likely you are to find good food, at a reasonable price, and it sounds like you've done just that.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2004, 11:49:12 AM »

And in an interesting bit of timing, this was posted on Playbill.com today...

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/89815.html

Curtains is set during the tryout of a Broadway-bound musical. The show's producers are a married couple, one of whom is murdered in the third scene. Every member of the cast and crew is a suspect, since they all have some kind of beef with the producing twosome.

Curtains is a rarity in that it isn't based on source material from another medium or a play adapted into a musical. "It's an original musical not based on anything," Stone said, adding that after the murder, a homicide detective is brought in, and "by sheer coincidence, he happens to be a remarkably up to-date musical theatre buff. He's thrilled to be there with opinions and suggestions

Uh-oh.

I assume DR posted this link because Curtains bears certain similaritities to Writers Block.  Trouble is, it bears even more similarities to Murder at the Savoy, or, Pulley of the Yard, produced here in 1981.  I consider John Kander a friend, but I may be forced to take him to court.

In my show, the leading man is shot during the opening overture.  The detective on the seen is a G & S
buff and happily takes over the role in the G & S performance while solving the mystery, in which various characters, involved with the show are suspects

Stone's quote would make anyone who saw it laugh out loud.

Fortunately, Murder at the Savoy bears absolutely no resemblance to Writer's Block.  This is a case of: mine's more similar to Curtains than BK's is.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2004, 12:03:38 PM »

I just read the release - funny, ain't it?  I'd never heard of Curtains, a show that they've been working on for twelve years.  Oh, well, my book is out and about and they're still on the "reading" track.  It also sounds very different, but it's always funny when this sort of thing happens.  And to think I sent Mr. Kander an invitation to my signing in NY.  Wonder what he must think.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2004, 12:08:45 PM »

And, I suppose, the timing is interesting if they've read about my little tome - in fact, if you read the article again with that in mind it's even more interesting.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2004, 12:12:30 PM »

LOL timing is everything.

Loretta Young - in one of her last acting roles - played a family matriarch trying to get her kids together for one last holiday.  It was very good.   I will see if I can find the title.

WHITE CHRISTMAS onstage....oh that sounds lovely.  DRMATTHEW thanks for the on the spot report.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2004, 12:16:05 PM »

Ah.....Christmas Eve....and Miss Loretta Young won a Golden Globe as Best Actress in a MiniSeries or Motion Picture Made for TV in 1986.  And a really nice score by Johnny Mandel.

Hmmmmm.....right DtM - Morris' piece is called The HARD Nut....I left off part of the title....hehehehe.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2004, 12:28:49 PM »

DR DamnNiece Danise previously observed:

I also wanted to tell DerBrucer that you are a bad influence on me.  I sent your “recipe” to several friends and they all ask where do I get that stuff.  LOL!

I shall gladly put you on my "people upon whom I have been a bad influence" list - and a very lengthy list it is.

The source of much of the odd-ball humor I post is Emailed to me by a lovely octagenarian Republican widow friend of ours. The lovely lady hails from a New York City Italian-American family, started life as a fashion model, and then married a Doctor.

She (DamnNiece, not Republican Widow) also asked:

I still don't know how pictures get put into the body of a message--I only know how to attach them to the message.

One embeds an picture by using the "Insert Image" button on the Post Reply screen - it is on the second row, fourth from the right, just under the Glow button.
For this to work, however, you must have the picture file hosted on another Website - just like you would need to do to post a pic on EBay. There are many sites that provide hosting services. I prefer Picture Trail. You can sign up for a rather lenghty free intro period, and if you like the service you can subscribe to their Premium version for $19.95/year.  The site lets you import many different picture formats and sizes and then stores them in albums in a small .jpg file suitable for posting. Once you have the pictures imported, you see the URL link right under the picture that you can cut and paste into the {img} {/img} created by clicking on the button mentioned above.

If I wanted to post a picture of my Widow friend, it would look something like like this:

[imx]http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL242/891350/1624689/66988045.jpg[/imx] - execept "imx" would be "img"

If you right-click the above picture and select "properties", you can see the link. Although the original pic I had was a 43K file, PictureTrail reduced it to just under 4k so the picture will load in a jiffy. This gadget also lets you embed more than one picture in a post, and to place pictures side by side.

der BlessedUncle Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2004, 12:31:08 PM »

And to think I sent Mr. Kander an invitation to my signing in NY.  Wonder what he must think.  

Perhaps he is consulting his attorney 8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2004, 12:35:03 PM »

Would love to see it!   ;D

Brian D'Arcy James & Jeffrey Denman pairing up with Anastasia Barzee and Meredith Patterson!

Directed by Walter Bobbie and choreography by Randy Skinner.

DRMATTHEW did they do the lovely "Best Things Happen While You're Dancing" duet and routine?  :D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 12:35:30 PM by JRand54 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2004, 12:53:40 PM »

I'm back from my day out and about!  I got a good word from the surgeon:  I don't need to see him for two weeks instead of every week as it has been, and that pleases me much.  I'm also more awake now, and I've been thinking about Christmas plays, movies, etc.  I'd forgotten the wonderful CHRISTMAS MEMORY of Mr Capote.

I'll add the following plays:
   RECKLESS:  I never saw the film or the new revival, but the original Circle Rep production with Robin Bartlet, John Dossett, and Michael Piontek was very funny and quite moving.
   A TUNA CHRISTMAS:  one of the funniest plays I've ever seen.
   THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER:  I'd forgotten the Christmas Eve broadcast!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2004, 12:54:38 PM »

I love "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing" as well. Tood bad Academy rules wouldn't allow more than one song nominee per picture. It's as lovely as "Count Your Blessings" (which did get nominated but lost to "Three Coins in the Fountain").

DERBRUCER

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2004, 12:56:00 PM »

Uh-oh.

The detective on the seen ...

Uh-oh is right.

As an aside - my compliments on your humilty. The AND Outfit which claims you as its Musical Director bemoans that :

OK, so we don't have a picture of Noel yet!

Check back!!

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2004, 12:56:37 PM »

DRMatthew, thanks for the update on WHITE CHRISTMAS in San Francisco.  I'm not surprised that my good friend Larry Blank provided excellent orchestrations.  He's one of the best, and we spoke on the phone last night.  He's been a busy boy:  the new LA CAGE AUX FOLLES revival, THE PRODUCERS in London, WHITE CHRISTMAS, and John Barrowman's new Cole Porter recording.  It wears me out thinking about it!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2004, 12:59:34 PM »

And of course, DR JRand54, Brian D'Arcy James is the nephew of Brian Kelly of FLIPPER fame.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 01:08:15 PM by MBarnum »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2004, 01:08:56 PM »

I didn't know THAT MBARNUM...wow!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2004, 01:11:20 PM »

Uh-oh.
 I consider John Kander a friend, but I may be forced to take him to court.

I rather imagine the similarities are less than they seem on the surface.  And there is Murder Most Foul.  And I recall a team in the BMI Workshop working on Murder at the Vanities.  And, of course, The Girls Upstairs.  And at least three Murder She Wrote episodes.  But it will be fun if Kander comes to the signing.

And speaking of the Workshop, Noel, did you ever answer my question about Brooklyn Dreams and "With My Eyes Wide Open"?  I don't remember much about the song, except liking it, an image of sunlight through the blinds, and other people commenting that "there's already a song with that title".
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up