Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RARIN' TO GET CRACKIN'  (Read 21395 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
RARIN' TO GET CRACKIN'
« on: November 28, 2004, 11:58:40 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what we're rarin' to be doin', so now it is time to post until the cows come rarin' home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 11:59:40 PM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:RARIN' TO GET CRACKIN'
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 12:13:08 AM »

Favorite Christmas movies... MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET;
WHITE CHRISTMAS; IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE; and here's a different choice: THE DEAD. I love that film and it does take place over Christmas.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 12:20:00 AM »

Bring a nice Jewish girl, I love writing Christmas movies and have written two (for television)... THE MARRIAGE BED (I know it doesn't sound like a Christmas movie, but it is) and MAMA'S GONNA BUY YOU A MOCKINGBIRD.
Back in the days those TV movies were produced at the CBC, the score would be recorded by wonderful orchestras with some of the top musicians in the country. People like Moe Kaufman, Guido Basso, etc.
I got to sit in on some great sessions of Christmas music.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 12:24:31 AM »

Favorite Christmas movie (read my last post from yesterday) is SCROOGE with Albert Finney.  I knew about the DVD, but haven't gotten it for myself.  My sister does have it and when we get together for this year's viewing, we'll watch the spiffy DVD.  I also love the original MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET.  My sister loves the 1994 remake with Richard Attenborough, Elizabeth Perkins and Dylan McDermott, but I just can't get the original out of my head.  And of course, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE is another that, even to this day, is worth watching again.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 04:44:35 AM »

I forgot to watch A Christmas Carol last night. Hopefully they will rerun it on Saturday.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 04:56:23 AM »

My other  anti Christmas movies

Black Christmas
Silent Night, Deadly Night
Santa Claws
Slay Ride
Santa Clause Conquers the Martians (with Pia Zadora)
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 05:06:55 AM »

I'm back after an errant and truant but absolutely loverly Thanksgiving weekend. It couldn't have been better. The British friends who came out to Long Island for a traditional feast were not disappointed. Everything went beautifully. Our whole weekend was quite lovely. We bought a tree (it's artificial but it looks great) at Harrow's. We put it up yesterday after we got back from Long Island. It has lights now and over the next few days we will finish the decorating. I think it will be (to quote a friend) faboo!

We will be at the book signing for sure. I will most likely come to Joe Allen's as well. Not sure about Anthony.

The radio show is great fun. Just song after song by Mr. Coleman.

I also love Scrooge w/Albert Finney.

And now, I must get to work. I'm here for four days and I have much to finish before I leave.

Emily

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 05:09:36 AM »

Panni, I think remember seeing the movie version of Mama's Gonna Buy You a Mockingbird when we were reading it in school - and liking it!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 05:10:50 AM »

Good morning, all!  I will call Joe Allen's and book the reservation for next Monday.  So far, I've got seven names, but I figure it could run as high as 15, so please let me know if you're planning on coming along.

Today's topic:
Movies:  Alistair Sims' CHRISTMAS CAROL
            A CHRISTMAS STORY (it looks just like my memories of late 1940s)
            MIRACLE ON 34th STREET (O'Hara & Wood)
            THE HOMECOMING (the Waltons)

Plays:     SCROOGE AND MARLEY (Israel Horowitz)
             SHE LOVES ME

Books:    A CHRISTMAS CAROL

I feel mentally stunted this morning, because I know I'm capable of dredging up more titles.  While I was working at The Drama Book Shop, I read almost every published version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL, and I loved the Horowitz adaptation the best.   I also know I've read other books with a Christmas setting, but nothing's working this morning.

DRPanni, I think THE DEAD is one of the most moving films I've ever seen, and my friend, the late Frank Patterson, is the tenor who sings the ballad that triggers the denouement in it.  Is it a Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve party?  I cannot remember, and I wish that film were on DVD!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 06:05:37 AM »

Favorite Christmas Movies:
A Christmas Carol (Alister Sims--hmmm...how about The Sims: A Christmas Carol, the computer game? You can create your own version of the Dicken's classic--or mix and match characters from other versions of the story.)
It's A Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th Street (the original)

I could never really take to A Christmas Story.  As much of a nostalgist that I am, there's an overriding silliness to the movie that I can't seem to get over.  

But I do adore The Dead.  I was absolutely in love with the short story at the time of the film's release and I knew it inside and out.  I loved how Huston (John) and the screenwriter managed to not only capture almost every paragraph of the story, but also to invoke the sadness and despair of these people.  Oh, how my one-quarter Irish heart breaks when Aunt Julia sings her song.  And I'm gone all together when Anjelica Huston tells the story of her long lost love.  I have this movie on VHS and I can't wait till it's on DVD.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 06:11:01 AM »

I forgot to watch A Christmas Carol last night. Hopefully they will rerun it on Saturday.

No, you didn't forget.  That was an inner voice telling you "DON'T!"
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 06:21:17 AM »

Probably my all-time favorite Christmas film - Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, which was really directed by Henry Selick.  Burton has a "thing" for Christmas, as it also plays into Edward Scissorhands and Batman Returns for their settings (but not thematically).

But I also have a soft spot for White Christmas.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 06:25:27 AM »

Other Favorite Holiday Movies:
White Christmas (even though I now will be staring at Vera Ellen's neck in her scenes.)
Christmas In Connecticut (the original)
Scrooge,  the Albert Finney musical (if only it had a more effective Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-be)
The Man Who Came To Dinner--I wonder how DR Jenny's production is coming along

Some Christmas Telemovies:
The Homecoming
The House Without a Christmas Tree--whatever happened to Lisa Lucas?
A Christmas Without Snow--a very low-keyed movie that somehow packs an emotional wallop in the end.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2004, 06:33:16 AM »

Two years ago I read Skipping Christmas and I thought it very amusing and I was looking forward to a movie version.  I never imagined that John Grisham would have ever allowed it to be turned into the idiotic film that was released last week.  Skammen on him, I say.
-- Anaïs Nin

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 07:01:13 AM »

Did you ever feel the author had written the book you're reading especially for you?  That it's kind of a private conversation between you two?  That it's just the subject you two like, just the jokes you two like, just your kind of twists and turns?

Such is the case with Writer's Block, which, in, I-can't-put-it-down mode, I finished last night at two a.m.

Could the rest of the world feel for its characters more than I?  It seems inconceivable: Writing new musicals is what I do.  1969 was the last of the great years, as far as I'm concerned.  And "Bus and Truck" has been the sort of life my wife, of late, has led.  (Ooh, almost a Cole Porter reference.)  Naturally, I had a great time reading this book - I was thoroughly entertained by it, and it also restored equilibrium . . . to a certain wobbly table.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

MBarnum

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2004, 07:07:33 AM »

I love Christmas movies and my favorites are IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, WHITE CHRISTMAS, and MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS. A favorite, sort of, Christmas movie is CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE, as the last half takes place on Christmas eve.

Favorite Christmas book: THE CHRISTMAS BOX by Paul Evans.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2004, 07:08:28 AM »

Would Christmas In July count?  Not really about Christmas at all.

I enjoy Scrooge.  My how far Bricusse has fallen!  That's what's scary about Christmas Yet-To-Be, Dan, we know that one day he'll write Jekyl & Hyde.

I've written two musicals that include Christmas celebrations:

Through the Wardrobe
and
The Christmas Bride

and also one that included a Hannukah celebration, but it never could get produced.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2004, 07:19:52 AM »

My favorite Christmas play at the mo' is Mrs. Bob Cratchit's Wild Christmas Binge, which DR JRand is currently working on.  While I don't think it's Chris Durang's best work, and it took me two readings to get into it, it's a very funny take on A Christmas Carol.  I don't think I'll look at a Mrs. Cratchit in quite the same way from now on.

DR Jrand, how does your Ghost play her part?  When I was reading this I couldn't help thinking of one name:  Omarosa from The Apprentice.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2004, 07:52:11 AM »

Hey, I also finished Writer's Block yesterday!  And I also could not put it down.

td

• td
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2004, 08:09:10 AM »

I haven't truly been errant and truant!  Thank you DR Elmore3003 for keeping tabs and posting about the lovely Joe Allen dinner we shared!  Many things to report,  but those will wait until later.  Just wanted everyone to know that I have arrived home, safe and sound, immensely tired.  Must say that Aelx and I got a lot done in the city, most of it involving shopping and eating and theatrical presentations. I ran into old pal Doug Sills outside of the Roundabout, and pictures will be posted once available.
A lovely weekend spent with truly lovely people, some of the even green!  (Idina just gets better and better with time).
I'll be back online later. . . . ;D
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2004, 08:22:16 AM »

Favorite Christmas movies: A CHRISTMAS STORY
                                            WHITE CHRISTMAS
                                            SCROOGE
                                            IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

Favorite Christmas plays: SCROOGE
                                         INSPECTING CAROL
                                         NUNCRACKERS (of course!)

A playwright friend of mine, Judy Simpson Cook, has written a lovely Southern-themed Christmas play called RETRIEVING THE LAMB which I think is just charming.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2004, 08:30:04 AM »

I might as well post the purchases, mostly from Academy, which ended up coming home with me, while I've got them at hand:
FINIAN'S RAINBOW - new recording
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA - soundtrack, shouted bymy pal (maybe only Tomovoz will understand)  ;)
THE WOMAN IN WHITE - London cast, shouted by my pal
(these two sorta appeared in my hands as Alex and I were heading to the station for my departure)
THE 25TH DAY OF DECEMBER -Bobby Darin, shouted also
A SWINGIN' CHRISTMAS - Ella, shouted as well
FRIDAY NIGHT SPECIAL - Janis Siegel
SKETCHES OF BROADWAY - Janis Siegel
TWO OF A KIND - Bobby Darin & Johnny Mercer
AVENUE Q - OBC (for $8.99! at Tower)
THE STORY HOUR - Sally Mayes
EVERYONE HAS A STORY : The Songs of Adryan Ross

DINNERS:
Renaissance Diner on 9th Ave - Alex and I both had the Black and Blue Burger
Joe Allen - well, thanks to DR Elmore3003, it's been posted.
Breakfast at Amy's Breads on 9th
Light Lunches at the Deli right beside the hotel
PIzza slices just around the corner from Don't Tell Mama

SHOWS:
WICKED on Friday Night
PACIFIC OVERTURES on Saturday Night  
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2004, 08:44:16 AM »

Have to head to class so I must be quick, but White Christmas has always been my favorite. Has anyone seen it out on the left coast yet or was I errnt and truant when this was discussed?
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2004, 08:45:19 AM »

Catching up with some of this weekend's topics:

On the subject of Christmas decorating, I've already mentioned that we go into full-fledged Martha Stewart mode on Thanksgiving weekend, so that's what I've been busy with the past few days.  Because mom decided to have the carpets steam cleaned last weekend, we are a little off schedule this year--I helped wash curatins and windows and woodwork on Friday, which put off putting up the platform and tree a day and left me with no time to start putting up the trains and Christmas Wonderland and Nativity.  But it will get done sometime this week.

As far as music software is concerned, I've been playing with a couple of versions of Cakewalk with various levels of frustration.  I'm glad to read here that there are programs that let you scan in sheet music, 'cause when I want to "midi-ize" a piece of music I painstakingly copy note for note into Cakewalk's staff view screen.  The scanning sounds a lot easier.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2004, 08:50:58 AM »

I liked A CHRISTMAS CAROL last night - of course not the wild cutting during the musical numbers - but as I posted last night, I love the story....and it's nice to see a fresh look.  Now that it is past (except for those who taped it) I very much missed the opening being in the office of Scrooge & Marley.

Hmmmmmmmm.....favorites....

Books:  A Christmas Carol and another vote for The Christmas Box.

Movies:  White Christmas, Scrooge (the musical), ACC (Alistair Sim)

Plays:  Hmmmmmmm.....not many to choose from....I will add The Nutcracker and Mark Morris' 1950's take on it The Nut.

Television & story:  A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote.  Two kites floating in the sky, like hearts.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2004, 08:52:08 AM »

DtM - our ghost is a hefty lady who is a no-nonsense gal who is quite surprised and perplexed when her "magic" doesn't work.  Very funny to see.  I will post some pics when I get some.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2004, 08:58:05 AM »

I have heard nothing but praise for the stage version of White Christmas that's currently playing in San Francisco.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2004, 09:00:14 AM »

"Carol Kane Leads Toronto's WICKED Cast!"

My heart sank when I read the headline in this weekend's Toronto Star. But I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I saw that she will be playing Madame Morrible, not Glinda. (Toronto marks the start of the "National Tour"; I assume National means North American.)

The really good news is that although Idina Menzel will not be playing Elphaba, as rumored, the part goes to Stephanie J. Block, who played Liza Minnelli in Boy From Oz and was the subject of an unseemly interview at this the best site on the Internet.

Kendra Kassebaum (she was in Assassins) will play Glinda. And David Garrison (Steve Rhodes in Married with Children) will be the Wizard.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 09:02:02 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2004, 09:06:02 AM »

Good Morning!

Sorry for being errant and truant last night, but I finally started a certain new mystery by a certain writer shortly around 1:00am, and by the time 3:00am came around, I just had to get to bed even though what I really wanted to do was finish the few remaining chapters I had yet to read.  So...  I shall finish the book this afternoon.  ;)

In other news... I slept wonderfully last night, and today was the first morning in a long while where I didn't wake up with my usual knot of tension in my left shoulder.  So nice.  Thank you, Mr. Massage Man.

As for Christmas movies, musicals, plays, etc...

Ditto.

However, I'm a little apprehensive about admitting that I just don't get some of the classics.  Well, one in particular.  "It's a Wonderful Life".  I like it, but I don't love it.  It's not on my must-see list each Christmas season.  I don't know why I don't love it - I'm such a sap romantic - but for some unknown reasons, the movie kind of bores me at times.  I just keep thinking it should be edited down by about 15 minutes.

I do like "A Christmas Story", but at this point and time, I generally watch it bit by bit, whatever scene I happen to happen onto while flipping the channels.  Or if my brothers happen to be watching it on DVD, then I sit down for a while, watch a couple of minutes, then go on with what I was doing.

As DR elmore listed, She Loves Me would have to be my favorite Christmas musical.  I also like some of the adaptations of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever for the stage.  And Truman Capote's Christmas Memories is a wonderful - if sometimes too-slowly-paced, imho - piece.

Oh, and I keep forgetting that Theatre IV here in Richmond put together their own version of A Christmas Carol a few years ago, and they got permission to the use the Jule Styne songs from "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol".
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2004, 09:27:29 AM »

"And David Garrison (Steve Rhodes in Married with Children) will be the Wizard."

Of course, I think of him as the David Garrison from A DAY IN HOLLYWOOD, A NIGHT IN THE UKRAINE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up