Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GREAT SINGERS SINGING GREAT SONGS  (Read 3957 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: GREAT SINGERS SINGING GREAT SONGS
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2016, 03:31:02 PM »

4OUR!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2016, 03:31:27 PM »

Thanks to ALL for the thoughts and vibes for Trent.

The surgery finally started at 8:30 p.m. - 12 1/2 hours after it was scheduled - the lungs did indeed miss the first flight....and then the second flight itself was delayed.....

Transplant was completed at 3:15 a.m. - then there was the closing up.....so he is still in recovery.  This process will be long, but we shall see.  A lung transplant does NOT cure the cystic fibrosis since the disease is still in the cells of the body, but it does make breathing easier and the quality of life is better.

~~~Super Recovery Vibes for Trent!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2016, 03:32:10 PM »

Today's rain was totally annoying for walking around the city.  I took care of my business downtown in the morning.  The Metrocard service center was nicely staffed (with nice staff) and I was in and out of there in hardly more than twenty minutes.

But I then realized I did NOT want to spend several hours schlepping around in the rain before my film showing at 4:30 pm.  I'd originally planned to walk around, stop in Academy Records/CDs, get something to eat, maybe browse the Juilliard store, that kind of thing.  But at this point I didn't feel the need to do any of that, including eating, and I wondered if I could get into an earlier showing. 

So I trained it straight to Lincoln Center -- very likely just missing DR Elmore at the box office! -- and the nice redhead replaced my 4:30 ticket with a 12:30 one.  There were all of a dozen people at that showing, so I guess that wasn't too inconvenient for them.

That got me out of there and on a 3:00 train back home, including grabbing a sandwich for the train.  Traffic looked absolutely miserable everywhere, and even my ten-minute drive home from the station felt like an hour.  But the film is well worth the trip, and the day goes into the success column in spite of less than optimal conditions.

ChasSmith

« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2016, 03:34:58 PM »

As to the Metrocard itself...

Can we say:  WORST! PHOTO! EVER! ?

This is the temporary card.  The permanent one gets mailed, so let's hope they find a better picture of someone - anyone - in the meantime to print on it. 
Lord love a duck...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2016, 03:38:26 PM »

How did you like the film?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2016, 03:44:17 PM »

I liked it a lot, but there are a couple of aspects of the show's history for which I wished for more time and detail -- or even SOME time and detail.  I look forward to comparing notes after you've seen it.

ChasSmith

« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2016, 03:45:02 PM »

But great news, DR Elmore -- about the check AND the film showings continuing another week.  I'd be sorely tempted to go back myself, depending on how busy life gets, and it's about to start getting pretty busy for the month.

It's annoying that they don't list the entire run on their web site.  Maybe they really do plan some of this week by week based on demand, but another annoying thing they do is show just two days on the listings page, and you have to click to see more.  WTF?  Give us the damned information so we can make informed choices.

George

« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2016, 04:22:49 PM »

Rehearsal & Meeting vibes for MR BK.

DR KERRY - check your calendar.

We need photos of your costume DR GEORGE!

There's a picture on the faceplace, but I didn't have my cravat or my vest, yet.  Hopefully, I can get a new picture within the next couple of days so that our event/TAO page can be updated.

George

« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2016, 04:23:02 PM »

DR JOHN G I thought you wrote Russian CandLes......

So did I! ;)

George

« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2016, 04:23:14 PM »

Then I bused down to Lincoln Center to buy the movie tickets for tomorrow night.  While I was waiting for the box office to open, I sat in the lobby, and the young man at the door and I chatted.  when I told him we wanted to see the movie tomorrow since it ended on Thursday, he checked the schedule and told me it was playing all next week.  They don't post the next week's schedule until Tuesdays.

So . . . I called Charlotte and we are going next week.  Other good news?  My check will be ready for pickup tomorrow.  Thank God.

Larry, good news about the movie, and congrats on the check!

George

« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2016, 04:23:26 PM »

Gratuitous Post #100! :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2016, 04:30:25 PM »

Thanks for the vibes DR GEORGE....looking forward to the costumed photo.

Thanks for the movie review DR CHAS SMITH....I am sure I will see it on DVD.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Laura

« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2016, 05:10:36 PM »

So glad to hear Trent came through the surgery ok. Vibes and good thoughts for his recovery!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2016, 05:10:54 PM »

TOD: Cooking and washing dishes, most likely.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

KevinH

« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2016, 05:21:47 PM »

More vibes for Trent!

KevinH

« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2016, 05:24:56 PM »

TOD: I'll be going to Buffalo on the 22nd.  My brother and sister-in-law have a get-together every Christmas Eve, so I'll be going there, weather-permitting (I'll be staying with DR Kate and she lives about 1/2 hour from my brother's house).    On Christmas Day I think it will be just DR Kate and her husband and I for dinner at their house.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2016, 05:27:04 PM »

Tonight's Paddy Considine film is a thriller, "Close your Eyes," and it's pretty creepy.  Last night i watch him in a revenge film, "Dead Man's Shoes," which reminded me of an updated Jacobean revenge-gorror play like "The Revenger's tragedy." Paddy plated a soldier returned to England who wreaks revenge on a group of skinheads who abused his mentally and physically handicapped younger brother. Iy was brutal and bleak, and it fulfilled all of my revenge fantasies on the psychopathic neighbor kid Frankie Cessna who blinded Randy in one eye when he was seven.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2016, 06:17:09 PM »

Thank you DR JOHN G.

Hmmmmm.....the Night of the Radishes usually happens for me shortly after the Day of the Radishes.....

;D

Jane

« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2016, 06:17:42 PM »

Tomorrow morning, I will get my left knee X-rayed, then stop at Music Theatre International fro my check before I head back home.

I should go with you and get mine done as well.

Jane

« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2016, 06:19:37 PM »

Dr Eagle Eye found a couple of fleas on Precious....so she got a flea shot and a steroid shot to help heal the hot spots.....and a monthly flea pill that should take care of thing.  She's already doing better, sleeping in her own bed for the first time in a few weeks.

I'm glad the problem was found.  Might you have fleas in your house you need to get rid of?

Jane

« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2016, 06:24:25 PM »

DR Chas it is always nice when changes can be made as easily as yours were today.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2016, 06:26:08 PM »

it fulfilled all of my revenge fantasies on the psychopathic neighbor kid Frankie Cessna who blinded Randy in one eye when he was seven.

:o  I don't believe I ever heard this story before.  That is worse than Bryan's friend who lost his hearing in one ear due to a bully at school.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 10:23:36 PM by Jane »

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2016, 06:33:45 PM »

TOD: Cooking and washing dishes, most likely.

The cooking part, to me, would be a merry Christmas. The cleaning not so much.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2016, 06:35:42 PM »

Waiting at the airport for Carol to arrive. This gives me a chance to listen to a little more of A Gentleman in Moscow.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2016, 06:36:17 PM »

It's one of four books I'm reading and I feel I have no time to read.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2016, 06:40:10 PM »

Well, it's time to leave for rehearsal.  Hopefully, I'll have my cravat, and with my vest that was finished last night, my costume should be complete!  I might (mind you, I said might) be able to get a picture, but we'll see if there's time.

Be back later.

John G.

« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2016, 06:44:38 PM »

Looks like we're getting an IKEA. And it's going to be near me, near my Costco.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2016, 07:10:02 PM »

Been relaxing (sort of) and sitting on my couch like so much fish listening to the Daphnis and Chloe SACD, which was gorgeous.  I've been researching SACDs and what were and are the best, in pop and classical - and there are some incredible things out there that unfortunately go for huge money - would be fun to hear them, but not at those prices.  I gather SACD died a slow death as all niche stuff does, and unfortunately that was a decade ago.  Blu-ray audio, too, which I also know nothing about.  So, I'm afraid I'll never get to experience some interesting SACD titles.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2016, 07:19:08 PM »

I really liked "Close Your Eyes": good creepy supernatural thriller about a 500 year-old staying alive by transmigration of the soul and a child serial killer.  There were a few good scares and some spooky performances.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2016, 08:11:00 PM »

Page four?  Really?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up