Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SWEET GHERKINS  (Read 19073 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SWEET GHERKINS
« on: December 01, 2004, 11:59:24 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you now have heard the word "gherkin" enough for the next ten years, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home to eat their sweet gherkins.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 12:01:59 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:SWEET GHERKINS
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 12:10:27 AM »

First Post!!  Huzzah!

Heinz ketchup (never catsup) is the prefered ketchup brand..always.  I don't like steak, so steak sauce isn't happening.  I like either teriyaki or sweet and sour sauce over steamed rice when I go to Panda Express.  I go back and fourth as to which I like better, but I won't try them at the same time.  The flavors would be too conflicting...not good.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 12:12:30 AM »

The salsa at Taco Del Mar is quite good...very chunky.  The salsa at the local El Sarape is not chunky.  Different, but good, also.  Neither has enough onions for me.  I like a lot of onions. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 12:14:32 AM »

There are more kinds of condiments.  There are always more to list for a Topic of the Day that what one comes up with at first.  But I am going to go to bed now.  Good night all!

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 03:03:07 AM »

I do not relish condiments.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 03:04:09 AM »

I'm done with my Shakespeare paper!! Woo hoo!! Now all I have to do is memorize my monologue for tomorrow, and I can go to sleep.

That's really great about Echo, Jane. I hope she continues to do well.

Only two more term papers and I can join the real world again.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ben

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 04:05:33 AM »

My last day at work then off for volunteering for two weeks.

Once we have a picture of the tree I will post it. We didn't do a lot of decorating, just the tree and some other small things.

Miss Sandra, I see you were up at around 3:04am finishing your paper. Hope you're sleeping tight now (sleeping tight - where did that phrase come from?)

I hope the lovely Pogues are enjoying London. I have memories of getting ready for our trip last year at this time.

I use ketchup and mustard and sometimes mayo. For salad dressings I prefer the oil based type, Italian, oil and vinegar, etc. Ant prefers the creamy type, ranch, thousand island, etc.

I may see Day One of the Gypsy of the Year competition on Monday after volunteering and before coming back downtown for the book signing and then going back uptown for a soiree at Joe Allen's (Monday looks like a busy day).

Must return to work now. I'll try to post again later.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 04:18:36 AM »

DRBen, it's good to see you back!  I've missed you in the early morning these past days.

Dear Friend BK, I posted a lousy review of VAN HELSING after I saw it with my beloved goddaughter.  I still get rabid when I think of what a piece of crap it was.  The director-writer dedicated the film to his father, as I recall, and my impression was that he must have hated his father or that he was totally unaware how inept he was as a writer.  I really loved some of the irrationality, like the way the vampire ladies' clothing comes and goes when they change forms, or how Dr Jekyll's trousers adjust from regular to XXXL when Hyde's wearing them.  I need to find a pair.

I'm not a condiment consumer, and I can't even tell you what brand of sweet relish I used in some tuna salad last week.  Sorry!  Hellman's mayo, though.  I still have some.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 05:13:05 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 04:32:04 AM »

I posted a lousy review of VAN HELSING after I saw it with my beloved goddaughter.  I still get rabid when I think of what a piece of crap it was.  

I wish I had paid attention! What a waste of time and money!Considering that I am as forgiving of lousy pop-corn  films as I am un-forgiving of imperfect prose, for me to bad mouth escapist cinema is remarkable. This was one grand disappointment.

Well, off to research gherkins :(

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Emily

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 05:13:27 AM »

I like (Tereas) Heinz Ketchup mixed with siracha sauce - the ubiquitous asian noodle shop hot sauce.  Mmm...

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 05:14:01 AM »

Oh... and gherkins are good too! :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 05:23:06 AM »

In these frightening times we live in, one should always use condiments.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 05:24:37 AM »

There's an old bawdy verse,

Plunge thy gherkin
'Neath my merkin

That I shan't repeat here, this being a family site and all.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 05:42:56 AM »

DR MBarnum, are you sure about that David Bailey pic you posted last night?  According to imdb, the David Bailey who died last week was born in 1933.  If that was him, he was pullin a Dorien Gray.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

DERBRUCER

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 05:52:57 AM »

THE DAILY TERM PAPER

The Sweet Gherkin - is really not a gherkin:

As Britannica notes:

Gherkin - also called  Bur Gherkin, or West Indian Gherkin  (Cucumis anguria), trailing vine, of the gourd family (Cucurbitaceae), grown for its edible fruit. The gherkins sold in pickle mixtures are not C. anguria but rather are small pickled immature cucumbers (Cucumis sativus).

You can buy them without sugar:

Those of the non-goyim persuassion can get Kosher:

Sweet Gherkins
Sweet Midget Gherkins
Sweet Baby Gherkins

all from Herr Heintz.

If you are size conscious, shop at ST-Fruit where you can choose from:

•  gherkins 5-7 cm sterilised in sweet/sour solution
•  gherkins 7-9 cm sterilised in sweet/sour solution
•  gherkins 9-12 cm sterilised in sweet/sour solution
•  gherkins 12-15 cm sterilised in sweet/sour solution
•  gherkin slices sterilised in sweet/sour solution
•  gherkin cubes sterilised in sweet/sour solution
•  gherkin pieces sterilised in sweet/sour solution

This nifty little factory is in the town of Olomou located in a picturesque location at the foot of the Jeseníky mountains in the region of Šumperk-Vikýřovice.

Me, I'll stick with Heinz for the animals:

The Heinz Hitch:

Regal Relic
Our 150-year-old wagon is reminiscent of the 100 original horse-drawn grocery wagons used by the H.J. Heinz Company around the turn of the century. Detailed annually by Amish craftsman, the fiery-red Hitch wagon remains a timeless relic of a bygone era. Manufactured by Studebaker, the delivery wagon weighs 6,800 pounds and is believed to be among the world's largest hitch wagons in use today.

Majestic Maneuvers
The eight Heinz Hitch Percheron horses tip the scales at more than one ton each, generating more than 16,000 pounds of raw horsepower. The magnificent black horses are stabled in Avella, Pennsylvania, just miles from the site of the first Heinz factory in Pittsburgh.
Originally from the Perche region in France, Percherons are the only line of heavy horses not originally bred as draft horses. The horses first appeared more than 1,000 years ago and are a cross between Arabian Stallions and Flemish Plow Mares. They were bred specifically to blend power, agility and speed. These attributes made the Percherons a favored horse during the time when armored knights rode confidently into battle. There is little call for carrying knights into battle today, but the Percherons are enjoying a renewed popularity among horsemen for their gentle nature, power and control. The Heinz Hitch Percherons continue the tradition these great horses played as mainstays of the delivery system in the early days of the H.J. Heinz Company.

Terrific Toppings
Heinz always provides the perfect topping, and the Heinz Hitch Dalmatians are no exception. Riding proudly atop the Heinz Hitch wagon during all performances are "Barbie" (short for Barbecue Sauce) and "H.J." (named for Founder Henry John Heinz). These dutiful Dalmatians keep 24-hour watch over the Hitch team, and even sleep with their Percheron brethren in their stalls. On performance days, these dazzling dogs wear harnesses that match those of the Hitch horses.

der smart-alecky Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 05:57:09 AM »

Thoughts from Yesterday:

Jose bragged:

And I cooked dinner again... SPAM and eggs!  Yes, SPAM!  But at least it was SPAM Lite.  -Yes, I had a coupon.

SPAM lite >:(

Dear boy, I hope you never get a coupon for a casket - we'll all be buying lilies ::)

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2004, 06:04:21 AM »

For DtM:

An Afghan with which to snuggle:

The AKC Notes:

Temperament
Aloof and dignified, yet gay.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2004, 06:30:23 AM »

Whatever happened to the Liberal media:

First we get:

Anti-Syphilis TV Message Finds Few Takers
Many stations reject public service spot aimed at gay men as inappropriate.
By Jia-Rui Chong
Times Staff Writer

December 2, 2004

A public service ad paid for by the Los Angeles County public health agency to raise awareness about the dangers of syphilis has been rejected by local television stations that consider the content inappropriate.

County health officials had signed off on the admittedly adult-oriented spot aimed at reaching gay men who are at greatest risk of getting the disease. But they said they were frustrated by their inability to get the ads broadcast at a time when Los Angeles was struggling with a high number of syphilis cases.

"It's distressing to hear that some important public health messages are not being aired," said Dr. Jonathan Fielding, county public health director. "My question would be, 'Is this content more "adult" than others that are being shown … in the evening hours?' "

"I don't find it objectionable," he said. "Would I show it to a 4- to 5-year-old? No. But do I think it's appropriate for an adult audience? Yes, I do."

(Above extracted from LA Times)

Then we get:
CBS, NBC refuse to air UCC television advertisement

United Church of Christ ad highlighting Jesus' extravagant welcome called 'too controversial'

For immediate release
Nov. 30, 2004

CLEVELAND -- The CBS and NBC television networks are refusing to run a 30-second television ad from the United Church of Christ because its all-inclusive welcome has been deemed "too controversial."
The ad, part of the denomination's new, broad identity campaign set to begin airing nationwide on Dec. 1, states that -- like Jesus -- the United Church of Christ seeks to welcome all people, regardless of ability, age, race, economic circumstance or sexual orientation.
According to a written explanation from CBS, the United Church of Christ is being denied network access because its ad implies acceptance of gay and lesbian couples -- among other minority constituencies -- and is, therefore, too "controversial."

"Because this commercial touches on the exclusion of gay couples and other minority groups by other individuals and organizations," reads an explanation from CBS, "and the fact the Executive Branch has recently proposed a Constitutional Amendment to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman, this spot is unacceptable for broadcast on the [CBS and UPN] networks."

Similarly, a rejection by NBC declared the spot "too controversial."

"It's ironic that after a political season awash in commercials based on fear and deception by both parties seen on all the major networks, an ad with a message of welcome and inclusion would be deemed too controversial," says the Rev. John H. Thomas, the UCC's general minister and president. "What's going on here

What's going on, indeed!

(Above extracted from Press Release)

See the ad HERE

der frustrated Brucer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2004, 06:30:24 AM »

For DtM:

An Afghan with which to snuggle:

The AKC Notes:der Brucer

Temperament
Aloof and dignified, yet gay.

That's funny--that's exactly what Sister Mary Franchetta wrote on my 3rd grade school record.

The Afghan would be a wonderful dog to cuddle with, but the groomin involved--Urk!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

DERBRUCER

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2004, 06:37:55 AM »

That's funny--that's exactly what Sister Mary Franchetta wrote on my 3rd grade school record.

Was she in cahoots with Sister Eta Bruschetta, friend of Sister Julia, Child of God?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2004, 06:42:35 AM »

Favorite Condiments:

Mustard!  I'm a mustard freak--I'll slather it on anything.  And I'm not a mustard snob--sometimes I like Guldens, sometimes Grey Poupon, sometimes a good hearty Polish mustard and sometimes plain old French's yellow.  All good and good on just about anything.

On steak, if it's a fancy-schmancy restaurant, I'll trust the chef and use whatever sauce they serve.  But elsewhere, there better be a bottle of A-1 Steak sauce on the table.
-- Anaďs Nin

DERBRUCER

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004, 06:56:25 AM »

TOD:

Favorite condiment - GOO!

When I was at the Naval Academy one of the many chores us plebes had was to make GOO. At a meal that included burgers or franks, one of us had to mix up a dish of GOO. This consisted on mixing equal parts ketchup and mustard with obsence amounts of black pepper - a concoction savored by all.

The Supply Officer in charge of the Midshipmen Mess was one CDR Louis LeForge, (Ma Licious behind his back!) One year he decided to treat the Brigade - on our return from Summer break, each and every table had a large jar of "Ma Licious's GOO! - and right tasty it was.

This is the same Louis LeForge that figured out that the only way to dispose of the excess cream from the Naval Academy Dairy (a hold-over from WWII) was to produce large stainless steal basins of fresh made vanilla ice cream on the breakfast tables - Vanilla Ice Cream topped with fresh strawberries and Frosted Flakes - GOOD!

(No, we did not put GOO on the breakfast sundaes.)

der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2004, 06:57:10 AM »

DR MBarnum, are you sure about that David Bailey pic you posted last night?  According to imdb, the David Bailey who died last week was born in 1933.  If that was him, he was pullin a Dorien Gray.

LOL! Dan, that picture was of him from the early 1960s...that is the era I remember him from!

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2004, 07:01:57 AM »

I love mayo! Prefer Best Foods brand.

Mustard and Ketchup/catsup I like too, but have no favorite brands...anything works...

If the steak is good I don't use any sauces. Otherwise A-1 or something similar works for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2004, 07:10:03 AM »

I love mayo! Prefer Best Foods brand.

Which is the same as elmoore's Hellman's (it's a left/right coast thing).

der Brucer (praying that nobody says "Miracle Whip")

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2004, 07:13:47 AM »

Miracle Whip
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2004, 07:24:17 AM »

I must confess that I am not overly fond of sweet gherkins or sweet pickles.  Give me a good dill or a garlic dill and I am happy for the whole day.

I like the standard mustard, ketchup, relish and / or Russian dressing on sandwiches.  I always use Best Foods / Hellman's mayo for sandwiches and for cooking, with one exception.  My famous (in my mind) shrimp and macaroni salad requires the use of Miracle Whip.  Although many people hate that salad dressing, it is the only thing that works with the other flavors of my salad.  If I don't tell people that it is in the salad, they rave about the salad.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2004, 07:42:00 AM »

DR Emily have you seen the list of shows coming in the Broadway series?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2004, 07:51:47 AM »

Hold the mayo is my motto. Minimal ketchup on French fries, and minimal mustard on a salami or corned beef sandwich. That's it, other than pickles: homemade kosher-style dills, and a good Indian lime pickle.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 08:02:54 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2004, 08:08:13 AM »

I've seen that Woody Allen documentary (if it's the one that premiered on TCM a year or two ago). Mia Farrow forbid the use of her likeness in any of the clips, so that's why you don't see her in the documentary. You're right; it wasn't greatly insightful (the book WOODY ALLEN ON WOODY ALLEN by Stig Bjorkman is quite wonderful and far superior). Still, I love so many of Woody's movies that ANYTHING about them is better than nothing. There's certainly NO information of the DVDs. They're all bare bones affairs.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up