Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIG CHAT  (Read 34430 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE BIG CHAT
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2003, 07:46:07 AM »

Oh it's for links and urls!  Oh...okay.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2003, 08:09:06 AM »

No favorite new shows, but I would be remiss if I did not mention Cheers, which my sister-in-law was Production Manager for.  As I have mentioned, probably ad nauseum, my sister and brother-in-law (with the rest of the production staff and their spouses) are featured in that last episode, as patrons of the bar.  However, if you blink, you'll miss them.  So, no blinking.   :-*
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2003, 08:17:50 AM »

I am and always will be a staunch advocate of/for "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

I, too, watch "Angel" and this season offers a twist that hasn't found its legs yet.  And if it doesn't find them REAL soon, it's going to lose a viewer.  Spike and Harmony from "Buffy" are new additions to the cast.  And if any of you remember Spike being the vehicle through which The Powers That Be destroyed evil by consuming Sunnydale, then you should know that he is considered "in between" right now and they have Fred working on ways of making him corporeal.  To me, this should have been done by the second episode.  But they're d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g it out.

Best new show I've watched:  Don't hate me, but I love "Miss Match."  I've always been a pushover for Alicia Silverstone.  Here, she takes her Cher/Emma character to a different level, but it's still making matches and she is very appealing.

"Nip/Tuck" is a very interesting show that I catch from time to time, but I find myself watching "Law and Order SVU" and "Real World" and "Road Rules" and some of their offshoots, like "Gauntlet."

"Trading Spaces" is also a favorite and "Queer Eye" will return to my viewing schedule when some new episodes are aired.  And there are "Smallville" (I love this show and the music does not bother me in it, although I know where td is coming from), and "Everwood" which attains a great balance between the adult arcs, the teen arcs and the adult/teen arcs.  Treat Williams is wonderful as the brilliant neurosurgeon starting a new life in Everwood CO after his wife died.  Tom Amandes is wonderful as his nemesis...the town's other, resident, doctor.  And Debra Mooney is terrific as Amandes' feisty mother who latches onto Williams and serves as his nurse because her son is impossible to work for.  The teens are pleasant enough, a tad bland perhaps.  Vivien Cardones is fantastic as the young daughter of Williams.  Treat is a treat!

I've totally lost interest in "Enterprise", but I do watch "Friends" and "Will and Grace" with regularity.  "Friends" is not bad, this year, but it can't decide who it wants to put with whom before the season ends.  I think Ross and Rachel will end up together, but that feels terribly false right now.  They blew a huge opportunity to put Rachel and Joey together which would have been awesome, but they didn't seem to know how to make it work, and they wrote an awkward scene where they couldn't "get it on" for the other person.  (Of course, they started this "thing" last season.  Since then, a spin-off show based on Joey has been slated for next season. Doubt that Anniston would be a part of that, so no Joey and Rachel).

"Will and Grace," MBarnum, might surprise you this season.  There's  much less viciousness on the part of Karen and Jack...and Karen seems to be evolving into a lesbian.  The Grace/Leo thing just hangs there like a giant boog peeking out of somebody's nostril.  You just don't know when they're going to wipe it off.  But it has been funny, especially last week with Will's mother (Blythe Danner in a terrific performance) staying with Will for a time and Will turning into the obedient little boy who used to pick out her bras.

f they bring Veronica Cartwright back for another solid turn as Jack's mother this season, it will have been a great year.

Wonderful chat last night.  So many thoughts, each being expressed a mile-a-minute, were mindblowing.  The only thing you can do is just start typing and hope you're making some sense.

;D

I love Discovery and TLC and the Food Network (love Tyler Florence, tolerate Mario whosis, hate Emiril LaGasse).

There are other shows I've heard about that seem interesting but I've just not gotten around to checking them out.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 09:07:40 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2003, 08:21:03 AM »

Ooh tv, hmmm I wonder if I will have anything to say about this topic? :)

BK, stick with Alias. I love that show.  Although you have another whole season to catch up on!

Me, I am a WB girl!  I love all those shows (most of them girly ones): Gilmore Girls, Charmed, 7th Heaven.

I also love reality shows like: The bachelor and Amazing race (please come back).

And dramas like: West Wing and Juding Amy.

My favorite new show would be either: One Tree Hill or Miss Match. I have not gotten into any of the others.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2003, 08:27:33 AM »

Ya know - reading all the comments from the SMART people here at HHW makes me realize that TV isn't in the terrible shape I initially thought it was.  ::)

There is not enough NEW television - what is the season now, twenty episodes?   :P

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2003, 08:41:15 AM »

I used to do so much theater, that it was pointless to get hooked on any TV series, because I was usually never home to watch them.  I remember they always started those big miniseries (Roots; Rich Man, Poor Man) on Sunday evenings, but I knew better than to get started watching any of them, since I would never get to see how they ended.

Now that I try to limit myself to four or five shows a year, I find myself watching mostly sports and newsmagazines.  I am a big baseball nut (especially the Seattle Mariners) and they play a one hundred and sixty-two game season, so most every evening there is at least one game on the TV.

It isn’t that I am a snob about TV. I like The Dead Zone, Everybody Loves Raymond, Scrubs, Will and Grace, King of Queens, and all of the versions of  Law and Order.  I just never see them.  I have tried taping the shows, but I have found that I never get around to watching the tapes.  I only managed to catch the entire season of Dead Zone because I bought the DVD set.  The only new shows I have caught, so far, have been Whoopi (not bad) and Hope & Faith (dreadful), but I am really looking forward to Arrested Development on Fox.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2003, 08:53:12 AM »

Well, I might give a couple of your suggestions a try, since many of these are on DVD.

Here is my latest acquisition - the cover painting for a book called Way to Go, Doll Baby!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2003, 08:53:49 AM »

Here are the TV shows I watch: M*A*S*H, Arthur, George Shrinks, Sagwa, Family Feud, Supermarket Sweep, Shop 'Til You Drop (I like cheesy game shows), and Red Dwarf.

:D
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2003, 09:06:27 AM »

Wow, Mr BK!   :o

It looks like Baby Doll put some sleeves on the dress the model was wearing in my television ad and became a big star!!!

Here is the book!

What a great painting!

Read Juliana's Journal entries!  Whew!  She makes me tired just reading about all she does, she must have energy to burn!  Congratulations, Juliana!  And thanks again for sharing!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2003, 09:07:33 AM »

Doll Baby, that is!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2003, 09:10:14 AM »

Do you think it would be possible for a lust-driven starlet's last wild fling to blow up a town's darkest secrets?  This is a MUST read by Mr William R. Cox!   And I guess I should have written "added straps" not "sleeves" to the model's dress.

Way To Go, Doll Baby!

Jason

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2003, 09:12:23 AM »

Just a quick note from work to let you all know that today I shall be meeting none other than the widow of Mr. Frank Loesser, Ms. Jo Sullivan-Loesser. Isn't that exciting? Isn't that just too too??

Mouse Report: None seen since the bed incident.

Now back to work...

Emily

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2003, 09:23:58 AM »

Good morning one and all!

Jason that Wonder Woman pic makes me laugh EVERY time I see it!  It is toooo funny!

Favorite tv shows... hmm.... Better make this in list form:

1) Gilmore Girls - wonderfully Girly yet with great rapid fire dialogue. They talk like me! :)

2) West Wing - I was on a WW hiatus for a while when Gilmore Girls was aired in Canada opposite it on Wednesday nights, but then I discovered that Fox broadcasts it on Fridays during the day.  I am worried that Aaron Sorkin's leaving might make WW not as wonderful...  I mean, how many people in the fictitious White House can have their lives threatened in a big cliff-hanger ending?

3) Survivor - Mainly because it has become a sisterly tradition in my family.  On Thursday nights my older sister has my little sister and me come over to her house (all of 4 minutes away!) to watch the show.  It's funny because we don't actually say we're watching Survivor - we just sing the weird theme song.  Oh way Oh way Oh way Oh Way Oh Way Oh Way Oh.  We are quite quirky

4) Am Idol - For when Survivor isn't on

5) Law and Order (except for Criminal Intent) - SVU and the orginal series are so consistently well done.  

6) Six Feet Under - although in my HBO-less world I have only seen the complete Season One

I'll check in later!  :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2003, 09:27:15 AM »

You pose the question:

Why (has) my signature seem to have disappeared from the end of the notes?

You call Alias derivative, make fun of Sidney’s lips, call the head of SD6 tiresome – and you wonder why strange things are happening!!!!!

And to quibble further:

You Opine:

It is amusing to me that people find this series unique and original. That it’s not, at least in my opinion (IMO, in Internet lingo). Take a spoonful of Mission: Impossible, a teaspoon of La Femme Nikita and a large dose of the anime Noir and mix it all together with a few other shows and you’ve got Alias.

Well, Dear Writer, can not the selective blending of various ingredients result in a unique and original product? If we were to demean creative blending of known ingredients we would all be reduced to subsisting on ham chunks and processed cheese slices (or, God Forbid, Whacky Noodles).

After all, take a little Sholom Aleichem, blend with some Jean Kerr, season with Irma Bombeck and finish off with a touch of Dave Barry and you end up with a Kritzer novel.

The above is all, of course, IMNSHO (Internet talk for In My Not So Humble Opinion).

Well, time to go fiddle away

The ever-kritical der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2003, 09:38:49 AM »

Good morning/afternoon!

I just got out of speech class, where I gave my much-prepared and equally dreaded speech on Broadway ticket prices.  I have no idea how it went, but I think I did okay!

Hmmm....I don' t watch nearly as much TV as I used to, but I'm an HBO gal myself.  I LOVE Sex and the City, Six Feet Under and agree with Noel that Curb Your Enthusiasm  is hilarious.  Oh...I also enjoy Queer Eye, Will and Grace and The Simpsons.  

Jason--Wow, what a great opportunity to meet Jo Sullivan!  Does she still perform?

WEL--the show sounded terrif!  I was positively salivating reading about it!  

TD--Wow, what a great David Boreanaz pic (both of them but I LOVED the first).  I could make a raunchy comment about it, but this is a family-friendly website.

Isn't it???  ;)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2003, 09:39:14 AM »

I'm afraid I don't have much to offer for today's topic of the day.  I do get cable so I can see more than snow on my screen, but I do not subscribe to any of the premium channels.  While I read the paper in the morning, I turn on the local news (with the volume turned way down) in the event of some important breaking news.  I do look at the occasional PBS special, such as the recent coda to Ric Burns' New York and Tony special, and will tune in tomorrow evening for the coverage of the opening of the Walt Disney Concert Hall on Great Performances.

When I'm cleaning house or reading, I might have Classic Arts Showcase or the Showtunes channel of Music Choice playing, but more as background noise than anything else.

I fear I must report that I've not seen one episode of Queer as Folk or Six Feet Under or any of the other HBO/Showtime series that have been so lauded.  When I used to travel for business, I would catch an occasional episode of The Sopranos or Sex and the City.

There are only so many hours in the day, and given my heavy schedule of theatre and concert and movie going, and frequent desire to read, the end result is that my television just doesn't get used very much.  No judgement there, just the way it is chez moi.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 09:41:11 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2003, 09:39:32 AM »

(does anyone still remember Evelyn Wood?)

Ed's sister. (Reportedly a "fast" women in some departments).

The ever-remembering der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2003, 09:43:31 AM »

Some days feel just like this.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 09:44:09 AM by JRand53 »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2003, 09:52:45 AM »

Hi Boys and Girls!
....If I really like a show, it's a pretty safe bet it will be cancelled, so i don't even bother with the new shows.

Kerry, my sister feels the same way.  Earth 2 and Beauty and the Beast (with Ron Pearlman and Linda Hamilton) were two of her most favorite shows and both were cancelled.  She still hasn't gotten over those!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2003, 10:13:23 AM »

Ben:  Evelyn taught me everything I ever knew about Speed Reading, which I promptly forgot the week after I finished the class.

BK:  That painting is a knock out!

Jason: How great that is that you will get to meet Mrs. Frank Loesser!

I used to get HBO, and when I had it, I watched and enjoyed both Sex and the City and Six Feet Under, but I didn't care for either one enough to keep HBO.  Never saw The Sopranos.  It just didn't interest me.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ben

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2003, 10:37:46 AM »

Here is another BBC link. Michael Feinstein is doing a six week series on American songwriters. Last week was the first and he featured Peggy Lee. This week he's featuring Harry Revel and Mack Gordon. They wrote most of their songs for Hollywood movies. Good interviews and material. Here is the link in case you want to listen. You can then use it for the next four weeks to listen to subsequent shows.

Click on the link below to go to the BBC Radio 2 page then click on the Feinstein link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/r2music/easy/

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2003, 10:43:07 AM »

Dear Readers:

I will be making my "debut" this evening at the brand new Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown Los Angeles.  I have observed this magnificent building as it was being built over the past few years, and I am thrilled to finally have the opportunity to experience the hall as a concertgoer.

I'll be hearing the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, conducted by Murray Perahia, doing the following program:

Mozart: Adagio and Fugue in C minor, K. 546
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 1
Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 5, BWV 1050
Mozart: Symphony No. 41, "Jupiter"

Mr. Perahia will be the soloist in the Beethoven concerto.

On Thursday night, I return to the hall for the Los Angeles Philharmonic's first regular subscription concert in the venue.  They will be performing Mahler's 2nd Symphony ("Resurrection"), which is, by far, one of my favorite works.

I will be sure to provide reports on both concerts.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 10:44:30 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2003, 10:47:57 AM »

DR Jason - when you meet her today, don't be afraid to say:  Way to go, Doll Baby!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2003, 10:49:16 AM »

DR Jay - and one for Mahler!

DR Emily I like your picture in your profile.  Since I am in the Rogue's Gallery, maybe I will find a drawing as well!  NOT Wonder Woman, however.  What's next?  She-RA?

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2003, 10:57:49 AM »

Maybe Honey West, JRand53!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2003, 11:05:59 AM »

LOL

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2003, 11:09:57 AM »

For DR Emily: Fox shows the Gilmore Girls Tuesdays at 10pm (the same episode that is shown on the WB Tuesdays).  Global (Canadian station) is a whole week behind (showing last week's episode tomorrow Wednesday).  

Btw, I also love the way they talk!

td

• td
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2003, 11:17:37 AM »

Did someone call for Honey West? ? ? ?

Why is everyone thinking lascivious thought about David Boreanaz? ? ? He's an angel!  He's a living doll!  (or is the living doll Susan Gordon?  Julie Newmeyer? Bob Cummings?)

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2003, 11:18:10 AM »

Oh, did I forget to mention that I love Sex & The City!  We don't get HBO in Canada. But our Bravo station airs the shows 3 months behind.  So we are currently in the middle of the season you guys just saw.

This week we had the episode where bald guy proposes to Charlotte.  I cried!  The only bad thing about getting the shows 3 months behind, is that you hear things. I had already heard that Charlotte and bald guy would get back together :(

Oh well.  

One thing I must say is if Carrie and Mr. Big do not end up together at the end I for one, will be VERY upset.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2003, 11:18:23 AM »

OMG - I am a FULL MEMBER!!!  Working on finding a new photo!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up