Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: IT'S NOT OVER UNTIL THE FAT LADY SINGS  (Read 22329 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:IT'S NOT OVER UNTIL THE FAT LADY SINGS
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2004, 11:23:53 AM »

Golden Globe Nominations - Film:

Summary:

By movie
"Sideways"...7
"The Aviator"...6
"Closer," "Finding Neverland" and "Million Dollar Baby"...5
"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"...4
"Hotel Rwanda"...3

Complete Nomination list HERE
Has anyone else noticed something strange here in the nomination process?

Today is the 14th of December.  The Golden Globe nominations have already been announced.

Among the films nominated, there are more than a couple that haven't been released in Los Angeles as of yet, which is where I thought the Hollywood Foreign Press was located.

For example, The Aviator won't be released until this Friday, December 17th.

Million Dollar Baby will be released tomorrow, on the 15th.  (Maybe it's getting advance nods because it's also Clint Eastwood's baby.)

But that doesn't explain the noms for Hotel Rwanda, which won't be released until the 22nd, the same day as Phantom of the Opera.  (Phantom at least can claim being released elsewhere on the 9th of December.)  

And there's an actress nom for something called A Love Song for Bobby Long which, while released in Italy in September, won't be hitting the USA screens until the 29th!

I guess anticipation matters more with the Hollywood Foreign Press than the actual films.  How do you like them Golden Globes?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2004, 11:27:50 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]And a continuing Happy Birthday to Tomovoz![/move]
Lucky!  He's the only one here who gets 48 hours worth of birthday greetings!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2004, 11:28:09 AM »

Page Three Dance...Bette Midler shakes her maraccas!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2004, 11:29:19 AM »

BK, the person who posted on the other board was Carolyn, who has been posting there for years.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2004, 11:32:37 AM »

This has actually been an extraordinary year for DVD releases - among my faves are Criterion's DVD of Eyes Without a Face, and the region 2 release of the restored The General.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2004, 11:37:18 AM »

...Interestingly enough, I've seen this article posted on FreeRepublic dot com, the arch-conservative web site that I haunt, and about 90% of the people there think Allen is a total looney.  After all, most conservatives have read the Constitution.  And then there are the 10% who favor it because, "I don't want sodomites teaching sodomy to my children."...
Even R. Reagan came out against the Briggs Initiative in California, back when he was Governor.  (Something he didn't get credit for later, of course.)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2004, 11:50:11 AM »

Even R. Reagan came out against the Briggs Initiative in California, back when he was Governor.  (Something he didn't get credit for later, of course.)

And then there are the old rumors about Reagan's first film that mysteriously disappeared... I never repeat gossip.  I just say it once and set it free.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2004, 11:53:14 AM »

The only DVDs I bought this year were Elaine Stritch at Liberty and  Forget-Me-Not Lane.  And I haven't watched either yet.  Shame on me.

But I do find our very own BK's picture on the box of the latter endearing.
--Wayland Flowers

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2004, 11:53:19 AM »

Can someone tell me if there is mail delivery in the US on Dec 24 or 25? Thanks.  And what method of delivery does amazon.com use?  Do they just use UPS or just some expedited form of USPS mail.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2004, 12:06:49 PM »

From www.ups.gov

2004 Holiday Closing Schedule:

Saturday, December 25 - Christmas Day
 Saturday, January 1, 2005 - New Year's Day

2005 Holiday Closing Schedule:

Monday, January 17 - Martin Luther King Jr's Birthday
 Monday, February 21 - Washington's Birthday (President's Day)
 Monday, May 30 - Memorial Day
 Monday, July 4 - Independence Day
 Monday, September 5 - Labor Day
 Monday, October 10 - Columbus Day
 Friday, November 11 - Veterans Day
 Thursday, November 24 - Thanksgiving Day
 Monday, December 26 - Christmas Day
 Monday, January 2, 2006 - New Year's Day

So it looks like there is delivery on the 24th but not on the 25th.
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2004, 12:07:14 PM »

Yes, mail on the 24th, no mail on the 25th.  amazon has several types of shipping available - I believe their standard is through USPS.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2004, 12:07:43 PM »

Can someone tell me if there is mail delivery in the US on Dec 24 or 25? Thanks.

Yes on the 24th; no on the 25th.

Back to work. I've written 2000 pages today (both sides).

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2004, 12:08:37 PM »

My riddle, people!  Let's get crackin'!  I don't just post here for my health, ya know!
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2004, 12:10:07 PM »

Panni:

You go, girl!
--Wayland Flowers

Tomovoz

« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2004, 12:12:24 PM »

[quote author=Hisaka link=board=4;threadid=500;start=msg81894#msg81894 date=1103037

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU DR TOMOVOZ!!!!!!!
We ( you and I) are in the same time zone, right? Nice to have a person who live on the same very day(date), on this borad. Oh, you’re on the Southern Hemisphere!   Wherever you live, EVERYONE is on the same planet!

Thank you Hisaka.  It is indeed good to know there is someone else who is also a day ahead of our North American friends.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2004, 12:12:34 PM »

Is that really 2000?  200?  

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  
All work and no play
makes Jack a dull boy.  
All work and no
play makes
 Jack a
 dull
boy.  
--Wayland Flowers

Tomovoz

« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2004, 12:15:38 PM »

Thank you Emily,  Thank you everyone for the ongoing greetings.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2004, 12:22:30 PM »

Caught up I think. Additional "thank yous" to Matthew and S Woody. Thank you BK for allowing my birthday celebrations to hijack two topics of the day.

For those who need to know: It is 7.25am December 15 here in Melbourne OZ.
James Thurber 1957

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2004, 12:28:26 PM »

Happy Tomorrow, Tom.
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2004, 12:28:43 PM »

Has anyone seen the Walt Disney Treasures Mickey Mouse Club set?  I think I might buy it, but the first week of shows would not be the show I remember - they were still fine-tuning the thing, but has anyone seen it?

No, mine has not come yet, DR JRand, but I'm waiting for it. You're right, the show became something very different from what it started out being, but I'll look forward to those shows just the same. Frankly, the later serials like "Annette" were my favorites.

If I remember correctly, the very first talent contest winners (on the first Friday) were the Lennon Sisters who sing "He" as one of their songs on the show.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2004, 12:32:21 PM »

The only DVDs I bought this year were Elaine Stritch at Liberty and  Forget-Me-Not Lane.  And I haven't watched either yet.  Shame on me.

But I do find our very own BK's picture on the box of the latter endearing.
It helps if you have a DVD player, of course.

;D ;D 8) ;D ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2004, 12:32:31 PM »

S. Woody, surely you must know that movies are screened for critics weeks, sometimes months in advance. (They may not release their reviews until a certain date, but unless a studio is sitting on a film in fear of a raft of damning reviews, they are almost all screen early to give critics time to write reviews and plan places for reviews in weekend editions of their newspapers.)

If a major film wanted to be considered by the Hollywood Foreign Press for their awards, you had better believe the studio would set up screenings of the film for the members so it could be considered.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2004, 12:34:19 PM »

In fact, I passed on a private screening of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA for critics tonight. I'm in no hurry to see it (disliked the stage version intensely).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2004, 12:37:14 PM »

But Matt, many films don't complete their editing stage until shortly before release.  

Maybe it's a good thing I never got into the business.

Tomovoz

« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2004, 12:44:44 PM »

Happy Tomorrow, Tom.
Thank you. I am not Harry Potter's "friend" Tom Riddle though - I do not have any idea how to approach answering your riddle. (Perhaps with a whip and chair)
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2004, 12:46:35 PM »

This just in from Time Magazine's Numbers column (literally, our copy was in the mailbox today):

1.1 million: Estimated number of indecency complaints to the FCC this year; 540,000 are related to the Super Bowl half-time show.

99.9%: Percentage of the non-Super Bowl complaints lodged by one source, the Parent's Television Council.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2004, 12:58:00 PM »

OMG DRMATTH, I had forgotten about the Lennon Sisters on Talent Round Up day....and I loved the serials as well....ANNETTE, SPIN and MARTY, DAIRY FARM, almost all of them except CORKY AND WHITE SHADOW!

SWW you will have to give us the answer, no one can guess.

EYES WITHOUT A FACE, yes!

Dealing with a recalcitrant AMAZON.COM Market Place seller.  Terrible.  I ordered SCARFACE from one seller who immediately went out of business.  Now this seller claims after 4 weeks, she mailed it, and it came back to her on Saturday and she isn't going to pay to mail it again.  Reported her to Amazon, maybe I will get a refund sometime.  GRRRRRRRRR....left her bad feedback so at least if anyone wants to buy from her, they will know.  And she is mad at me!  LOL....I didn't do anything but buy something she wanted to sell!  I didn't set the mailing rates....LOL.  Oh well, I don't think she ever mailed it to me.  I just told her that I was filing a claim with Amazon and God Bless You....hehehehehe....then blocked her email.  Tired of her rants and excuses.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2004, 12:59:42 PM »

Thanks.  I figured there was probably mail on the 24th.  I wonder if we have mail in Canada on the 24th (we never have mail on Saturdays).  I guess I should check.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2004, 01:09:38 PM »

But Matt, many films don't complete their editing stage until shortly before release.  

I wouldn't say many. I'd say there might be a few, especially if there are loads of CGI effects that need to be added. (Which doesn't seem to be the case with these holiday releases.) But, in those cases, sometimes the studios screen rough cuts. Coppola certainly did that so that APOCALYPSE NOW could be entered at Cannes all those years ago. And it ended up tying with ALL THAT JAZZ for the Palme d'Or.

When I was a film critic, I certainly saw a few films before music tracks had been laid in. I always made it a policy in the review to mention that I had not seen the finished product but rather a work in progress.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2004, 01:11:14 PM »

OMG DRMATTH, I had forgotten about the Lennon Sisters on Talent Round Up day....and I loved the serials as well....ANNETTE, SPIN and MARTY, DAIRY FARM, almost all of them except CORKY AND WHITE SHADOW!

I loved Darlene, but I couldn't stand "Corky and White Shadow" either.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up