Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CALLING BIRDS  (Read 19361 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE CALLING BIRDS
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2004, 08:17:56 AM »

Good Morning!

As for those calling birds... Hmm...  Do they know they first have to turn on their cell phones?
;)

As for CDs...  Hmm... Now I know I bought a bunch of CDs this year, but like a lot of fellow DRs, I'm not exactly sure which ones were released this year either, so...

Peter Cincotti - "On the Moon"
Bill Charlap Trio - "Somewhere - The Songs of Leonard Bernstein"
The Manhattan Transfer - "Vibrate"
Bounce - OCR
Caroline, or Change - OCR
Assassins - Revival OCR
Barbara Cook - "Barbara Cook's Broadway"
Dave Grusin - "Now Playing"

Plus a bunch of other ones that I know I'm forgetting right now...

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2004, 08:21:53 AM »

PAGE 2 DANCE!

BOOGIE-OOGIE-WOOGIE!
[/color]
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2004, 08:25:25 AM »

Good morning DR Elmore3003...check your mail today!

Should I be very, very afraid?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2004, 08:27:58 AM »

DR Hisaka..

-Is DR MBarnum a fan of Godzilla movies?!?!?!?

Now, if there happened to be a Bollywood movie that featured Godzilla...

:D

As for my knowledge of Japanese food, I like all types of food in general.  But Japanese is definitely in my top 5 list of international cuisines.  -And I think I may actually get some sushi for lunch today, probably a bowl of chirashi sushi.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2004, 08:29:02 AM »

CHRISTMAS WARNING...

Christmas has been canceled and it is all my fault
because I told Santa I had been good this year.

And he died laughing!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2004, 08:30:17 AM »

Well, folks, I actually need to get some work done today... For a few hours at least...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2004, 08:37:42 AM »

Finally - some help around the house!

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2004, 08:41:51 AM »

DRJOSE - break a leg tonight!  And don't have too much fun at the party.  I wish I could be there!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2004, 08:42:06 AM »

What a great picture derBrucer....LOL...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2004, 08:43:10 AM »

RE: Rowan Atkinson in LOVE ACTUALLY....I agree DRVixMOM (Jr Member) - but then, I have only seen the movie once so far....

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2004, 08:45:54 AM »

Finally - some help around the house!

der Brucer

I love this picture!!! What's for dinner?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2004, 08:52:20 AM »

Yep, forgot about the new ASSASSINS cast CD but not about BOUNCE which I found disappointing, at least on first listen. I must find time over the holidays to give it another chance.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2004, 08:59:36 AM »

What a great picture DerBrucer!!!

Yes, DR Jose, I am a big Godzilla fan! And I even have many favorite Japanese actors and actresses!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2004, 09:00:06 AM »

And DR Vixmom, congrats on losing your newbie status!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2004, 09:01:53 AM »

It's 'bout 9AM PST

Time for Good Vibes to DR ANN
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and some extra
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

der Brucer

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2004, 09:10:32 AM »

Good morning. forgot to welcome, DR AlexPaige....
So... Welcome. DR AlexPaige!

It is quite windy in the City of Studio this morning. Lovely and sunny and windy.
And now - big breath - to work. I shall write like a little Christmas elf today. ...Let me rephrase that. I shall write BETTER than some fershluganah elf... But I shall endeavor to write as INDUSTRIOUSLY as said elf does his daily elf thing, whatever that may be. (Victor. That's the elf's name. Victor Elf.)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2004, 09:11:41 AM »

Oh... And ongoing excellent vibes to DR Ann.

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2004, 09:12:56 AM »

Congratulations, DRvixmom, on no longer being a newbie!

Welcome, DRalexpaige!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2004, 09:41:38 AM »

Good morning, all! Day dawned cold and sunny up here on the mountain. I have indoor running water, took a hot shower yesterday! And the little feral cat from last summer came around last night to visit! He has been keeping my cabin mouse and vermin free while I've been away. He's not fat, but certainly not thin by any stretch, so these mousies have kept the restaurant open! Gave him a can of salmon - he gobbled it up in about 2 minutes. And he LOVES being indoors by the wood stove, of course.

He's my third feral cat in 4 years. I think they usually move on to the next inhabited place, when the summer folk leave... this one still makes the rounds, apparently. He's very much friendlier than he was last summer, so I think he has found a family of humans to hang with. I'm happy to have him here - what a sweet little guy.

Welcome to the new Hainsies! And good holiday vibes to all!
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2004, 09:55:42 AM »

Oh - CD's this year:

One I particularly enjoyed was very different: Eva Moon - SOMETHING BREWING. An eclectic mix of styles, but all with a clear signature. Sort of witty world fusion. Eva Moon has a smokey sort of voice with an Eastern European flavor. The songs are very contemporary, dealing with topics like junk mail (CASH FROM NIGERIA) and transgender (SWITCHEROO) and fantasies of escape from the daily onslaught (RUN AWAY WITH ME, SWIMMING UPSTREAM). Lots of relationship stuff that I like a lot, obsession, chocolate. So there's PennyO's two cents...
PennyO

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2004, 10:14:53 AM »

I saw LOVE ACTUALLY on dvd many months ago.  So it is definitely out.

Btw, I didn't have a chance to post until now, but best wishes to DR Ann.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2004, 10:39:03 AM »

Time to get beautiful for the trip to DC and our rendezvous with Jose.

A full report on our return.

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2004, 10:52:46 AM »

I slept late again - I must stop doing that.  Now I must do many things before the impending arrival of Mr. Kevin Spirtas at two-thirty.

I have many favorite CD releases of the year (and yes, they can include reissues that came out this year) - the 3CD Mutiny on the Bounty that I just got, several Phillipe Sarde soundtracks from Universal France, a Cal Tjader reissue that I've been waiting for since the advent of CD, several Stan Getz Japanese mini-LP CD issues, and, of course, my personal copy of Windy by Miss Astrud Gilberto.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2004, 10:59:32 AM »

Don't think I had mentioned this previously, but last night the DP and I hied ourselves to the redundantly named Auditorium Theatre to see THE PRODUCERS (Max Tour/Tour "A").  Currently starring Lewis J. Stadlen (who looked remarkably like the Abominable Showman himself, David Merrick, nee Margulies) and Alan Ruck.  Unfortunately, Mr Ruck was either indisposed last night, or has made an early exit from the tour to hit NYC, where he will be essaying the role of Leo Bloom in the NYC Company.

Either way, we saw his understudy, the more than able Harry Bouvy, who was wonderful.  Mr. Bouvy usually plays Carmen Ghia (as most Leo covers do), and his understudy was also more than up to the task.  Unfortunately, he is billed alphabetically, but Lee Roy Reams is the Roger deBris on this tour, and I think the DP and I were the only two people who knew who he was, and from whence he came.  Somewhat embarassingly, we were certainly the only two people to give him entrance applause.

That said, I also must confess that it is the first time seeing this musical extravaganza, and while entertaining, what I feared would happen indeed did happen.  A) I didn't think it lived up to the hype; B) I didn't think it was deserving of all the Tony's (R) it won, most notably that for Best Score.  (Granted, many of those Tony's (R) were for performances I didn't see, but I heard the same score....); and C) And this is something that Peter Filichia has noted repeatedly:  It doesn't make sense now.....  If Franz is supposed to be playing AEH, then he has been subjected to Roger's direction throughout rehearsals, and therefore his disgust with what has been done to his play on opening night rings quite false, because he has been there ALL ALONG!  You NEED LSD, or some other character...or let Roger decide to make his long-(un)awaited stage debut in his own show...but Franz shouldn't be playing Hitler.

The crowd adored it, however, and the show looked great.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 11:00:58 AM by Stuart »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2004, 11:17:25 AM »

First order of business:

Good health vibes to Dear Reader Ann.

Speedy recovery vibes to the Dear Father of Dear Reader Jose.

And, to be safe, continued good health vibes to all the Hainsies and Kimlets out there in the dark.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2004, 11:19:03 AM »

On the topic o' the day:

Regardless of what you may have thought of the six-part PBS series, the five-CD set that accompanied it is real swell, chock full of top-notch Broadway fare across the ages.

Jay

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2004, 11:19:46 AM »

Unmentionables.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2004, 11:27:41 AM »

Just a quick word before der B and I head off to DC to hear our DR Jose play the keyboards.

The quick word is "briefs," of course.

Although I'm actually a boxers man, plaid whenever possible.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2004, 11:58:58 AM »

Several weeks ago, there was a groundswell on this here site demanding my thoughts on Mr. Samuel Barber's Vanessa once I saw the production now running at the Los Angeles Opera.  (Okay, okay.  It was Dear Reader S. Woody White who made the request.)

I saw Mr. Samuel Barber's Vanessa last night at the Los Angeles Opera, Dear Readers.  To describe it in a word, I shall rely on one of my maternal grandmother's favorite qualitative descriptors:  Feh!

The story is a turgid Gothic potboiler:  Abandoned twenty years ago by her lover Anatol, Vanessa has since lived as a recluse at her estate in some unnamed northern European country, with all the mirrors and portraits of her as a younger woman kept in shrouds.  Living with her is the old Baroness, Vanessa's mother, who has not spoken to Vanessa over the course of these twenty years, and Vanessa's niece Erika, who runs the household.

The opera opens on the evening of Anatol's supposed return to the estate, but it turns out that the gentleman who appears is Anatol, Jr.  That doesn't stop him from impregnating Erika (offstage) on the very night he appears at the estate, and proposing marriage to both Vanessa and Erika after a few weeks.  Erika holds out for true love but when she hears the announcement of Vanessa's engagement to Anatol at a big ball, she rushes into the snow to kill herself and her unborn child.  She is retrieved and survives, though the child is miscarried.  In the last act, the Baroness redirects her silent treatment to Erika, the newlyweds head off to Paris on their sleigh, and Erika orders that the mirrors and portraits be shrouded and announces that now it is her turn to wait.

Think Miss Havisham and Estella a la Russe.

I wish I could tell you that the music makes up for the shortcomings of this libretto.  Alas, I cannot.  Erika does have a lyrical arietta about the winter coming so soon, and there's an interesting love duet (touched here and there by some irony) between Vanessa and Anatol.  But most of the score is loud mood music that doesn't go anywhere (at least, to my ear) and the vocal line throughout the piece is almost all declamatory, though not in any way that might be called melodic or akin to natural speech patterns.

Dame Kiri Te Kanawa was Vanessa.  Dame Kiri remains a very beautful woman and a striking stage presence.  She handled the music well, but oh, how I would have preferred that she chose to make her Los Angeles Opera debut as the Marschallin in Der Rosenkavalier (playing later this season) than as Vanessa.  Miss Lucy Schaufer was excellent as Erika, singing the most intelligible English I have ever heard sung from an opera stage.  Miss Rosalind Elias, who originated the role of Erika some 46 (yes, forty-six) years ago, was the Baroness.  The Baroness does not have much to sing (which is good, given the state of Miss Elias' voice) but plays a commanding--but silent--presence through much of the opera.  Mr. John Matz was a somewhat pinch-voiced  Anatol, and Mr. David Evitts did a spledid job as the Doctor, the only warm hearted and sympathetic character in the entire opera.

Although different settings are called for (Vanessa's drawing room, a ballroom, a conservatory) the production relied on a unit set, dominated by a white circular stairway and glass panels around the perimeter of the stage.

Special note to Dear Reader Elmore 3003:  Yes, Dame Kiri did remember the words, but only with the help of a prompter.  (This is the first time I've seen a prompter used, by the way, at the Los Angeles Opera.  Actually, a small video box was set at the lip of the stage, and it carried the image of a prompter from somewhere backstage.)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2004, 12:06:48 PM »

Special note to Dear Reader Elmore 3003:  Yes, Dame Kiri did remember the words, but only with the help of a prompter.  (This is the first time I've seen a prompter used, by the way, at the Los Angeles Opera.  Actually, a small video box was set at the lip of the stage, and it carried the image of a prompter from somewhere backstage.)

I'm amazed!  Having been around her for five days while she recorded her Gershwin album, I can only profess total amazement at that.  She remembered the vocal lines, too?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up