Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DENSE NOTES  (Read 24972 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE DENSE NOTES
« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2004, 05:16:04 PM »

Oops (spoo, spelled backwards), one GUEST just disappeared.  Oh, well.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2004, 05:16:26 PM »

I'm already zonked - this is two mornings in a row of waking up very very early.  Tomorrow I shall sleep until the cows come home.  Tonight I shall watch the original Japanese Gojira, just issued on DVD in Australia (the US version with Raymond Burr is also included).

BK, where did you get it??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2004, 05:21:31 PM »

At the Gojira Stand no doubt.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2004, 05:22:07 PM »

Found it at Amoeba, here in LA.  I just checked and they have it at hmv.com.au - they have a lovely supply of Ozzie DVDs - I got two from their site yesterday.  Just search "Godzilla" and DVD, it's about half-way down the page, 50th Anniversary Edition.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2004, 05:23:49 PM »

DRs PANNI and JANE - TAR teams are in Budapest tonight...it looks lovely!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Danise

« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2004, 05:38:40 PM »

Hi all.

DR Jane, I’m so glad that you are home safe and sound.  I’m also glad that you had nice visit with BK, Panni and her DD.  

DR Jose, I’m also happy to read that your Dad is home and doing well.  

As for the subject of books.  I read plenty of them this year.  The Kritzer books, Writers Block, Angels and Demons, The Machine War (another Dune book), Dragonology: The Complete Book Of Dragons and smut novels by the dozen to name a few.    ;D

I'm currently reading The Da Vinci Code.  Mostly, I'll admit, because I wanted to know what everyone is talking about and so I can have an informed opinion on it.   Imagine that.  ::)

DR Elmore, I listened to my CD and LOVED it.  A question if I may?  How many musical instruments do you play?  

« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 05:40:57 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2004, 05:50:25 PM »

DR Elmore, I listened to my CD and LOVED it.  A question if I may?  How many musical instruments do you play?  

DRDanise, you may ask me anything, any time.  But to your question of this evening, I play piano very badly.  I once played rather well, and when I first came to New york, I played and arranged for a trio of men from the New York City Gay Men's Chorus, Just Good Friends, which had about a year of success in the cabaret circuit around Manhattan before internal problems sank them.  

I liked playing piano socially and for my own amusement, but I suffered from dreadful stage fright.  One night while we were appearing in some beautiful restaurant on the Hudson River north of Christopher Street, I asked the bartender before the show, in a moment of idle chitchat while I was getting some soda, what he did when he wasn't tending bar and his answer was he was studying to be a concert pianist.  I felt so insecure about my playing that I screwed up the entire show, which is funny because the bartender was so busy that in retrospect I doubt he heard anything I played.  Anyway, I told the trio I would arrange and MD, but I was no longer their pianist.  Since then, I've not played much at all, and I have no skills left.  I  use the piano now only to figure out thngs I'm arranging.  I also studied violin, but I was terrible at it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2004, 05:57:50 PM »

Well, I am finally posting something after being errant and truant for large amounts of time. I have read the daily columns but not the postings so I know little of what has transpired over the past few days.

Between a newly diagnosed diabetic dog (Anthony's parent's dog on Long Island, an 8 year old West Highland Terrier named MacGregor) and finishing holiday errands before a trip to the Isle of Long, I have not been able to read or post much. More egregiously, we have missed an opportunity to have Christmas Cheer w/DR & DF (Dear Reader and Dear Friend) Elmore before the actual holiday. We will get together sometime after the 27th of December when we return to NYC. Our tree will still be up and we will be full of Christmas and Holiday Cheer which we will spread all over the city.

I took Trumpet in 5th grade but was also terrible at it. I decided to give up musical instrument lessons in favor of acting. Good choice, me thinks.

I now must sign off and finish various and sundried things. Kerry, if we had been in AZ we would have helped frost the cookies (of course, how much frosting would have been consumed before landing on the cookies is another story entirely).

As Jose says (sometimes)

Laters
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 05:58:43 PM by Ben »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2004, 06:01:25 PM »

Kerry, you need to empty your mailbox (and I mean that in the nicest way).
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2004, 06:05:01 PM »

Thanks Danise.  My visit was too short, but sweet.

JRand-TAR teams in Budapest, how lucky for them.  I must admit, I had to google TAR teams. ;D

The best book I read this year is THE KITE RUNNER by Khaled Hosseini.  Now I’m waiting to find out if elmore agrees with me.  I did meet a couple of people who didn’t love it as much as I did.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2004, 06:05:06 PM »

I think Cora made a mistake and spelled her own name wrong.  I believe she left out the "b".
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2004, 06:06:53 PM »

TCB-LOL.  I'm going to see if I can find and read the review now.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2004, 06:07:47 PM »

It's absurd to think that Amazon has the resources or even interest to scourge all the idiot, crap reviews of the hundreds of thousands or millions there most be for all the books they sell.

Well, perhaps they should. Are you suggesting that if a reader decided to "review" a work by Charles Edward Pogue by saying that he is the greatest lover in the world and a darn fine gourmet cook, or conversely, a secret member of the Klan and a wife beater, that there should be no system to stop that from going out under the Amazon banner? Like it or not, by calling it an Amazon review or a Barnes and Noble review, a kind of perceived legitimacy is given to the piece. Therefore, Amazon has the responsibility of keeping an eye on what is printed on its site.

The Cora piece is not a review but an (unsuccessful) attempt at character assassination. But, in my opinion, it would be equally distasteful if the writer had posited, in the guise of a review, that Bruce Kimmel is a noble and fine human being -- and therefore his book is the greatest thing since War and Peace.
It simply does not belong in a section reserved for opinions about a book.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2004, 06:09:20 PM »

Jane -- Welcome back!
Noel -- Welcome back!
“One thing’s universal,

Panni

« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2004, 06:19:18 PM »

Not another collapsed rack!

More annoying. An insurance emergency. It seems that the quaterly insurance bill for dependents - under which DD is covered - was not generated by the WGA last September. I certainly did not notice, as there was a ton of other paperwork which WAS generated, filled out and returned. To cut to the chase, it seems that, unbeknownst to me, DD has been deemed ineligible for health insurance since September. This was discovered when she went for an eye exam this afternoon and I got a call saying, "Mom, they say I'm not insured!" I had to do a lot of irate yelling, running around, and mailing checks to straighten it out. Thank goodness the lack of insurance wasn't discovered in the middle of the night in an emergency ward in Budapest!
But no collapsed rack.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 06:22:15 PM by Panni »

Jane

« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2004, 06:21:54 PM »

I just read the non-review and am truly baffled why someone would write mean things like that.  Then I am always confused whenever a person intentionally says hurtful things to another person.  Tact and kindness, or nothing at all are so much better.

Bruce I’m pleased it isn’t getting to you, as it shouldn’t.

Panni, well put.

Jane

« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2004, 06:23:30 PM »

Panni, is DD now insured?

Jane

« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2004, 06:25:33 PM »

TCB it is good to be back.

Panni

« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2004, 06:30:00 PM »

Panni, is DD now insured?

Technically, no. If there were, God forbid, an emergency tonight, the computer would probably show her as uninsured. It will take a few days to get things straight. I insisted that the woman I spoke to at the WGA call the optometrists's office and assure them that DD does have insurance. But that's actually just a technicality because with eye exams, one has to pay up front in any case, and is then reimbursed.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2004, 06:32:13 PM »

Thank you DR STUART.  Yes, I grow them and these are English roses named Evelyn, which gives out a gorgeous fragrance.  Took this picture in May this year.

Danise

« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2004, 06:36:45 PM »

DR Jane, I'm just sorry for the reason of your visit.  

I have to show you what I can do now--I’m getting dangerous.   Now that I know how to make .Gifs work on the board, my new hobby is tracking them down.  I thought the dog lovers on the board would get a kick out of this one:

DR Ben, I'm so sorry to hear about Anthony's parent's dog.  Get better doggie vibes.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~[/move]

I know how you feel about stage fright, DR Elmore.  My problem is I get the shakes AFTER I've done whatever it is.  It's the dumbest thing.

Like when we do New Hire orientations at work.  Before I go “on”, I’m fine.  When I’m doing my part (about the job bulletins and how they work), everything goes like clockwork.  In the bosses car on the way back to the office everyone is laughing and joking but I’m sick and shaking like a leaf.  I can’t explain it.  It just happens.

I fear I shall always wish I could play an instrument.  I have my own ideas about sheet music that I know would make you laugh but seem perfectly logical to me.   :)  

Like middle C.  Who in the heck came up with that one? If it's going to be used as a starting point then it should be A or 1.   And while we're at it, why can't the keys be A-Z or numbers?  Why is music only A-G over and over again?   What's up sharps and flats?  It's not fair to make one black key have different names just because this time it's up from where your playing and the next time it's down.   One name per key should be the limit.  

I don't expect you to answer the above but that's some of the problems I have with reading music.  It just doesn't make sense to me.  ???

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2004, 06:40:17 PM »

Hisaka I'm glad Stuart thought to ask if you grew the roses-absolutely beautiful.  Pink, coral or lavender roses are my favorite.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2004, 06:45:37 PM »

BTW, I noticed that DE-LOVELY is out this week on DVD.

Just got it at Wal-Mart for $15.96 :)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2004, 06:46:08 PM »

I'm watching the Kennedy Awards right now.  Audra MacDonald and the Howard University Choirs sang "Let Us Break Bread Together" and Thomas Hampson and Paul Groves did a truncated version of the great tenor-baritone duet in Bizet's "Pearl Fishers."  God, what a glorious piece!  There was a strange bit:  John Mauceri crossed the stage and they cut for a commercial.  When the program resumed, Steven Spielberg was introducing John Williams!

DRDanise, I wouldn't know where to begin after your analysis of the keyboard and the scale!  It's rather like my analyses of economics, banking, astrophysics and other things far beyond my ken.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 06:48:38 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2004, 06:46:13 PM »

Hisaka, I'll have to show you a picture of my prize (since I haven't killed it--yet) Michael Crawford Rose.  It's my pride and joy.  It also has a very nice odor to it.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2004, 06:51:56 PM »

Danise, I’m impressed.  Echo has her own approach to walking me, she simply takes the leash in her mouth and pulls.  It is too cute for words.

Ben how old is Anthony’s parent’s dog?  Are his parents up to treating the dog?  

I need to make a cheesecake now.  

« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 07:00:20 PM by Jane »

Danise

« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2004, 06:54:00 PM »

DRDanise, I wouldn't know where to begin after your analysis of the keyboard and the scale!  It's rather like my analyses of economics, banking, astrophysics and other things far beyond my ken.

That's ok, DR Elmore.  I've drove more than one music teacher mad with my "questions".  LOL.  

spoo.  I just looked at the time.  I have to wuss.  Sorry guys but 5:30 AM comes early around these parts.  Talk with you tomorrow.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2004, 06:54:23 PM »

DR Jane - I love your tribute to ECHO-ECHO-ECHO....

Danise

« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2004, 06:55:09 PM »

Wow, Jane is really, really, really impressed!!!   :) ;) :D ;D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2004, 07:02:28 PM »

Very strange, I typed on word document, copied and pasted.  Nothing showed.  I did that several times and nothing seemed to copy.  I just had to modify my post, it seems I was typing with invisible ink and once I posted the words appeared, over and over and over again. ;D

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up