Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DENSE NOTES  (Read 25023 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE DENSE NOTES
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2004, 02:52:13 PM »

MBarnum, thank you.

Panni I enjoyed the photos from last night.  
Bruce I adore you too but sorry, Rachel looked far prettier at 7:00 in the morning while still half asleep. ;D

Jay, I wish I could have enjoyed the lights at the park with you, DRLaura and Sandra.  It has been years and years since I have been there.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 02:55:43 PM by Jane »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2004, 02:58:06 PM »

Clowes Hall - it is announced Clews.....

Boy, good thing I threw out all those "ose" rhymes.  Clowes Hall, to bring things full circle, is the setting for Starcrossed.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2004, 03:00:26 PM »

Oh, please, people!  Why should there be a process by which you should protest a review?  Or even say one was not helpful?  Let the reviews speak for themselves and just be perceptive in your analysis of them.  

To start reviewing reviews and debating their merits then very much does get into factionalism and starts to look like sycophancy and vendetta. The fans claim this/ the non-fans insist this.

If you're going to open up the public webstream for every asshole who has an opinion then that's just what you're going to get and  you're just going to have to live with the consequences...people with informed opinions and people without informed opinions. People with a clue and people without.  People who know how to review and people who don't.  Gushing fans who are going to gush about anything their particular idols do and people with axes to grind against certain individuals.

We've always had critics.  Unfortunately, we now live in a society where we think everyone is entitled to their opinion whether it is informed or not...that's why you'll get people who come on talk radio and think Mark Fuhrman killed Nicole Simpson.  Why incendiary morons like the Swift Boat Veterans get air time.  Why half of the United States think Iraq was behind the 9/ll attacks.

My problem with Cora's review is not that it's negative, but that it's not a review.  Why did she give the book only two stars?  She has only one line in the review that speaks to the book and doesn't back up her statements with any examples as to why she holds her opinion.  As of now the only reason we can discern is that she doesn't like the author.  So I think that sort of review speaks for itself and is pretty obvious to all but mindless cretins.

One has to be their own discriminating critic when it comes to gauging reviews.  Personally, while some reviews on Amazon are very astute and well-thought-out, sites like this are not where I go to get intelligent critiques of anything....whether it's for books, movies, or dvds.  I prefer to read trained professional critics who actually have some literary insight and skill in their field.  Not amateurs...spewing their likes and dislikes in a public forum where any yahoo, despite his knowledge, can vent.

You can say anything you want about a book as long as you can prove it in the text.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2004, 03:04:16 PM »

Hisaka the roses are beautiful.

Jose continued good recovery vibes for your father-pleased to know he is up.

Vixmom-good for your daughter.  

Panni congrats on the goods news, even if you won't be going to NY.

Michael

« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2004, 03:05:37 PM »

Books I enjoyed:
Writer's Block
Everything was Possible
Morden's Broadway in 70's

Books I did not
The Kander and EBb Bio
Ethan Mordern's slip shod broadway history from 80-2004. It was sorta like Mandelbaum's Not Since Carrie.
Da Vinci Code

Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2004, 03:06:17 PM »

Ain't it the truth, DR 's CP and ELMORE.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2004, 03:06:38 PM »

DR> Jose

Glad to hear about about her father's improvement. I know what that is like
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2004, 03:17:57 PM »

Nevermind

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2004, 03:18:32 PM »

DR Charles  -  I agree with you about Cora's review.  I don't believe that  something like that should be posted on a book review section for any author.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2004, 03:23:05 PM »

Ain't it the truth, DR 's CP and ELMORE.....

I read the "review" Cora posted, and it made me angry.  It's a lot of personal venting against BK and nothing to do with the book.  I guess Amazon.com is providing "Cora" with a soapbox she can't find anywhere else.  

The thing that pissed me off today was Dubya's press conference after the attack in Iraq today.  I hate this war, I hate this administration, and I hate it that a lot of folk who deserve so much better are getting a body bag for Christmas.  That's my rant!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2004, 03:27:10 PM »

LOL as DRCP pointed out....the things written about the book are positive...

Oh tonight is THE AMAZING RACE at 8 pm EST....an hour earlier than usual!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2004, 03:27:34 PM »

YES JMK, those rhymes would have been unfortunate.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2004, 03:32:52 PM »

Matthew, you may think that sort of review should not be posted in a book review section for ANY author...and I agree.  And if it was a legitimate book review section of a newspaper or magazine or even a serious literary website, it wouldn't have been.  At best, it would have made the letters to the editor section, if at all.

But, sorry, Amazon is not a literary review site, it is a marketing site that sells books.  And review section is not really a literary review section, but frankly, it is a letters to the editor/op-ed page...where any nitpick is allowed to express his view...however ignorant, however dumb, however malicious.  

I'm sure there are even far worse reviews and far less intelligible ones on Amazon.  It's absurd to think that Amazon has the resources or even interest to scourge all the idiot, crap reviews of the hundreds of thousands or millions there most be for all the books they sell.

So you're just going to have to consider the source and save your offended sensibility for something a bit more earth-shatering than someone who doesn't have the basic skills to do a proper review.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2004, 04:01:19 PM »

Well, actually, I don't think all the things written about the book are positive and I don't think I pointed such out.  I just don't understand why everybody is getting their knickers in a twist over something so inconsquential as yet another malcontent on yet another public internet forum venting their spleen against private enemies.  This happens everyday.  Pardon me, but who the fuck cares?  Only an idiot can't see that this person has a personal animosity towards Kimmel and that is the source and essence of the review.

And quite frankly, I don't know all that many people who choose their reading material, trolling through the reviews of Amazon's readers.  Bruce got his last sales spike when someone (who I believe was a columnist or critic) gave it a legitimate review on a site of some authority and weight.

Elmore, I share your anger over the current crap that continues with this Administration.   More is my anger over the lack of outrage by the American public about Bush's many-fold and continued failures in every aspect of his administration and particularly the war in Iraq.  Don Rumsfeld doing a good job?  Ha!  It is blatantly transparent the man is an insensitive, curmudgeonly incompetent and has failed miserably.  Today there was a front-page article in the LA Times on the FBI compaining about the abuses by military personal to Iraqi prisoners both in Iraq and Guantanmo that continue to go on in concert with the White House & Rumsfeld's tacit approval.  I turn on CNN.  Nothing about it.  Fox.  Nothing about it (naturally).  The BBC is the only one who has anything on it! This story should be wiping everything else aside.  This alone should be enough to oust Rumsfeld.  Should've have been the first time.  And we impeach a President over a bj, but not this!  Talk about the rule of law being abused!

And then there's the privatization of Social Security.  Do they truly think that the average American who perpetually lives beyond his means,  has maxed out his credit cards, and is up to his eyeballs in debt is actually going to be able to privately invest for his retirement and have something to show for it when he gets his gold watch?  Who are they kidding?  The damned country can't balance a budget and keep itself solvent.  Do they really expect the ordinary citizen to do so?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2004, 04:01:33 PM »

Well, that is an amusing "review".  It is clearly someone who knows and dislikes me, which is fine.  I do like that they "live" in Studio City, and that they obviously read these here notes and posts daily.  And since they trumpet the names "O'Connor" and "Meade" it does narrow the list down significantly, as I've never mentioned either name here on this site (both names have to do with certain record label).  It's not even worth commenting on because it's so blatant and obvious and bitter.  If that helps that person feel better about themselves then bravo.  One thing seems clear: They haven't read the book, so it makes writing a "review" rather silly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2004, 04:03:03 PM »

And I'm sure they're chuckling right now reading all these comments.  Not worth getting angry over - one can only scratch one's head and then laugh and laugh at the stupidity of them actually giving the book TWO stars instead of one.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 04:03:26 PM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2004, 04:17:13 PM »

I'll comment on all this later. A small (not serious) emergency has come up that I have to take care of.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2004, 04:19:51 PM »

What review?

Charles Pogue

« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2004, 04:19:51 PM »

You're absolutely right, BK.  Because not only does it fail as a book review, but it also fails as a review of you...which is its main focus.  The legacy of the work you've done is clear, obvious, and indisputable to any who know anything about the fields you labour in and any attempt to diminish it or to characterize it as anything less than a significant contribution is just...as you say...silly.

Only another loser or another Kimmel hater is going to glean anything from this post (note:  I do not characterize it as a review)...and that's why I recommend everyone else just chill out.  No harm done here.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2004, 04:28:55 PM »

I had no idea how much Scent of Mystery material is on the Internet - most of it is just repetition of the same things, but I did find two or three items that I hadn't seen before.

People have been asking me if I know who "Cora" is - I have my suspicions, but it doesn't matter in the least.  It's Christmas time, and if all they can do is spew negativity and that makes their Christmas a more joyous one, then that is what they have to do.  My work is my work - people can like it, hate it, or feel however they will - just like with all bodies of work it's not going to please everyone.  However, "Cora" isn't criticizing my work - she's criticizing me, and that is because she probably perceives that I didn't treat her well.  

Charles Pogue

« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2004, 04:33:34 PM »

And right now, she must be in masturbatory heaven because we're all talking about her.  It's makes her feel like she actually has a life.  That said, I will no more mention her.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2004, 04:37:19 PM »

I'm already zonked - this is two mornings in a row of waking up very very early.  Tomorrow I shall sleep until the cows come home.  Tonight I shall watch the original Japanese Gojira, just issued on DVD in Australia (the US version with Raymond Burr is also included).

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2004, 04:47:15 PM »

thanks to all who have been sweet enough (and kind enough) to mention Kritzer Time and Writer's Block

Certainly those were my favorites of 2004 (admittedly, I don't read a lot of books for fun - just for research)

One moved me more than any novel I've read in years (Kritzer Time), the other was seemingly written for me, so right up my alley (Shubert) it was.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2004, 04:49:50 PM »

Certainly those were my favorites of 2004 (admittedly, I don't read a lot of books for fun - just for research)

One moved me more than any novel I've read in years (Kritzer Time), the other was seemingly written for me, so right up my alley (Shubert) it was.

Noel!  You're here!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2004, 04:51:28 PM »

It is the season of Noel.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2004, 04:56:58 PM »

WB DR NOEL!

Kerry

« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2004, 04:58:01 PM »

Since no one volunteered to help me frost sugar cookies tonight, would anyone volunteer lending me their DVD of "What IF..."? :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 04:58:26 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2004, 04:58:08 PM »

The Amazing Race is on!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2004, 05:05:33 PM »

I'll comment on all this later. A small (not serious) emergency has come up that I have to take care of.

Not another collapsed rack!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2004, 05:10:30 PM »

Welcome four GUESTS.  Could one of the GUESTS have a name with four letters ending in "a"?  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up